Begging for a Marjory and Kasmeer focused Trailer.

32 minutes ago, vanfrano.1325 said:

How are they "pushed to the side" if they're "literally on the main art for End of Dragons"?

To the best of my knowledge, they're even the only protagonists to have been given the honor if one doesn't count Logan and Eir in the base release.

Edited by Naxos.2503

If all there is to them is that they're gay, I don't care for the characters. We were told Marjory would have focus in IBS because of her necro background and the lovecraftian horror theme they wanted to do, but didn't. Kasmeer had her chance to shine in Path of Fire, and felt completely useless and absent compared to Canach and Rytlock. Honestly, I want them gone.

• Thanks 10

14 hours ago, Neo Mortem.3627 said:

If all there is to them is that they're gay, I don't care for the characters. We were told Marjory would have focus in IBS because of her necro background and the lovecraftian horror theme they wanted to do, but didn't. Kasmeer had her chance to shine in Path of Fire, and felt completely useless and absent compared to Canach and Rytlock. Honestly, I want them gone.

Kasmeer had a lot of potential as a person who had to question her culture and religion when faced with the reality of it, but the actual implementation of that felt tacked on and unexplored. It went by so quickly.

Marjory had huge potential when first introduced as a Film Noir investigator, but that seems to have vanished as well.

There was brief potential in exploring how a couple who risks their lives adventuring stays accountable to each other while allowing each other freedom, but that wasn’t really explored. Its kinda like the writers are afraid to put the two of them in real conflict with each other for any length of time. When one has a problem they tend to disappear off screen for a time, and then show up for resolution. It makes for unsatisfying story and shallow character arcs.

And yes, the cooing over each other feels contrived and awkward.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Thanks 6

11 hours ago, Neo Mortem.3627 said:

Reaching even slightly below the surface of not only Lovecraftian, but any kind of Horror would likely have shot the game's age rating up, so they likely scrapped these plans far earlier than they decided to scrap the second half of the season.

The slight spooks with the Boneskinner and Marjory's hysteria with her sister's ghost's illusion is likely as far as one can get and within a low teen rating these days.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 10/22/2021 at 7:34 AM, radda.8920 said:

no thanks, the dialogues between these two are ridiculous and boring, it's so cliché

It's true, but there is no reason that this can't change in future content - except for a continuation of bad dialogue writing, that is.

I'd like to see them behave like a normal couple for a change. As a lesbian, I am not a fan of bad lesbian stereotypes - it doesn't do the cause of acceptance and equality any service.

21 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Would be nice to have Zojja back maybe she can upgrade  Mr. Sparkles with some jade tech.

Ooh, that would be pretty nifty!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/22/2021 at 10:10 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

Reaching even slightly below the surface of not only Lovecraftian, but any kind of Horror would likely have shot the game's age rating up, so they likely scrapped these plans far earlier than they decided to scrap the second half of the season.

The slight spooks with the Boneskinner and Marjory's hysteria with her sister's ghost's illusion is likely as far as one can get and within a low teen rating these days.

Funny, because if we’re going for real Lovecraftian horror, as in what Lovecraft actually wrote, I thought Whisper in the Dark did it really well. Lovecraft’s work lived in a place of creeping dread, not the kind of gore that would trigger a mature rating.

If you’re talking what mostly passes for Lovecraftian now, using his mythos but going for the gory body count, then yeah, not a fit for this game. It’s not just the rating. The story was very intentionally pointed in a heroic direction from the beginning.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Funny, because if we’re going for real Lovecraftian horror, as in what Lovecraft actually wrote, I thought Whisper in the Dark did it really well. Lovecraft’s work lived in a place of creeping dread, not the kind of gore that would trigger a mature rating.

If you’re talking what mostly passes for Lovecraftian now, using his mythos but going for the gory body count, then yeah, not a fit for this game. It’s not just the rating. The story was very intentionally pointed in a heroic direction from the beginning.

There have been those whispers that Arenanet tried to make scary, but they were decent at best and simply introducing Jormag's trickery. The Koda Boneskinner story wasn't scary either.

None of that gave me any of the feelings I got when reading Lovecraft's works.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

There have been those whispers that Arenanet tried to make scary, but they were decent at best and simply introducing Jormag's trickery. The Koda Boneskinner story wasn't scary either.

None of that gave me any of the feelings I got when reading Lovecraft's works.

We were indeed promised a "dark/scary" story season with the Icebrood Saga, but then all we got were a lot of missed opportunities. The eery forest in the Bjora Marches, the Boneskinner (the name alone spraks volumes!) and the spooky library labyrinth were perfect opportunities for in-depth horror adventures, but turned out just another rather superficial implementation with most of the scary parts being left to the player's imagination.

And don't get me started on Jormag: Gods, what a wasted opportunity! Jormag used Almorra's dead body to communicate with us, then did the same with the Fraenir, while acting all "nice" during their conversations with us - what a scary character! But then everything spooky, smart and manipulative about them was dropped to the point of unbelieveable simpleminded stupidity.

Okay, we drifting away from the topic. 😉

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

We were indeed promised a "dark/scary" story season with the Icebrood Saga, but then all we got were a lot of missed opportunities. The eery forest in the Bjora Marches, the Boneskinner (the name alone spraks volumes!) and the spooky library labyrinth were perfect opportunities for in-depth horror adventures, but turned out just another rather superficial implementation with most of the scary parts being left to the player's imagination.

And don't get me started on Jormag: Gods, what a wasted opportunity! Jormag used Almorra's dead body to communicate with us, then did the same with the Fraenir, while acting all "nice" during their conversations with us - what a scary character! But then everything spooky, smart and manipulative about them was dropped to the point of unbelieveable simpleminded stupidity.

Okay, we drifting away from the topic. 😉

Are we even sure that Jormag used Almorra's body instead of simply emulating her voice for those messages?

We've seen with the Fraenir that Jormag was able to change a voice at will.

It wouldn't be surprising, if Jormag did just that for the whispers as well.

Edited by Fueki.4753

On 10/25/2021 at 7:58 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

Are we even sure that Jormag used Almorra's body instead of simply emulating her voice for those messages?

Yes, we do. When Jormag talked through a corpse, the rhythm was off. It was pretty distinct (and super creepy!).

Also, it was mentioned (and confirmed) later in dialogue after we discovered Almorra's body.

Edit: Here is the proof, you poor, confused souls who gave this post a :classic_blink::

Story Mission "What's Left Behind"

Jhavi: "Almorra. Did you find her?"
Us: "Not yet. But she was the one who called us here, so she must be alive out there."
Jhavi: "Called you? But... the Svanir took our comms. [...]"

Later, when we discover her body:

Us: "There are slash marks. And it looks like she's been...gone for a while."

Story Mission "The Invitation"

Us: "The Svanir caught up with her long before we arrived. Whoever called us here, it wasn't Almorra."
Braham Eirsson: "Jormag..."

[Later:]

Crecia: "So that comm from Almorra... Jormag was using... [her body]."
Jhavi: "Oh, Spirits..."

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I don't know, sparkle pony fantasy land would be a nice change of pace, particularly if it all ended up being an illusion covering up a rotting flyblown corpse world.

Even more unusual would be if it was the other way around.

"We have a paradise here, lets pretend it's horrible so those annoying outlanders will just go away!"

• Haha 2

Just to clarify this OT-point for the confused:

On 10/25/2021 at 9:25 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Edit: Here is the proof, you poor, confused souls who gave this post a :classic_blink::

Story Mission "What's Left Behind"

Jhavi: "Almorra. Did you find her?"
Us: "Not yet. But she was the one who called us here, so she must be alive out there."
Jhavi: "Called you? But... the Svanir took our comms. [...]"

Later, when we discover her body:

Us: "There are slash marks. And it looks like she's been...gone for a while."

Story Mission "The Invitation"

Us: "The Svanir caught up with her long before we arrived. Whoever called us here, it wasn't Almorra."
Braham Eirsson: "Jormag..."

[Later:]

Crecia: "So that comm from Almorra... Jormag was using... [her body]."
Jhavi: "Oh, Spirits..."

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1