So… med kit is junk on Mechanist?

Dracomet.3648

2 hours ago, Amadeus.5687 said:

We will just have to disagree here, I feel people very have been discussing and criticizing what we have been shown so far; There is more then one thing wrong in the picture that's Mechanist 

I have to agree with @Obtena.7952 a lot of the feedback here is based on zero playtime. You assume it will be bad but aren't 100% sure. I do get the concerns but I think it is better to wait and see after a lot is played because atm the only thing I see is an echo chamber with only a few actually having ideas how to think of ideas. And those good ideas seem to get burried in the rubble.

Some people think that ANET is blind and didn't know they deleted toolbelt skills or were aware of X or Y. I have definitely some questions about the Mechanist but I think the spec looks great and there is a lot they can improve but I think a lot of good is there as well. CmC already mentioned that the numbers can change if they notice that is something that should happen.

They already saw that players want more Untamed options for their weapons. But in all honesty if you don't like how Mechanist is going to play than accept that the class aint it for you. You still have a solid Scrapper and Holosmith you can play with and else there are eight other classes you can play with.

I for one want to play with the spec first see what it can do. See what high endgame does with it and what kind of place it has currently when e.g. the mech dies and you don't have it for 100 seconds. But keep in mind as well that places like Snowcrows are high endgame and most players ain't there and will not care about it and will be happy running around in the open world. And in the end the Mechanist will do that in a great way.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Well, if there's no F5 skill to relocate the mech , the tradeoff for mechanist could have just been replacing F2, F3, F4 with mech skills (so if mech is not present you don't get to use them). Having F4 as crash down is convoluted when every transform thus far (Photon Forge, Soulbeast, Celestial Avatar) is F5 or F1 (necro).

In this way, you keep F1 which means you still retain A.E.D / Bandage Self but you lose all the mech skills if the mech is away.

I'm of the opinion people that aren't openworld or roleplayers will still opt for quickness scrapper over running mechanist which only has 5 man alacrity and barrier as a differentiating feature.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RobinotX.1604 said:

I have to agree with @Obtena.7952 a lot of the feedback here is based on zero playtime. You assume it will be bad but aren't 100% sure. I do get the concerns but I think it is better to wait and see after a lot is played because atm the only thing I see is an echo chamber with only a few actually having ideas how to think of ideas. And those good ideas seem to get burried in the rubble.

Some people think that ANET is blind and didn't know they deleted toolbelt skills or were aware of X or Y. I have definitely some questions about the Mechanist but I think the spec looks great and there is a lot they can improve but I think a lot of good is there as well. CmC already mentioned that the numbers can change if they notice that is something that should happen.

They already saw that players want more Untamed options for their weapons. But in all honesty if you don't like how Mechanist is going to play than accept that the class aint it for you. You still have a solid Scrapper and Holosmith you can play with and else there are eight other classes you can play with.

I for one want to play with the spec first see what it can do. See what high endgame does with it and what kind of place it has currently when e.g. the mech dies and you don't have it for 100 seconds. But keep in mind as well that places like Snowcrows are high endgame and most players ain't there and will not care about it and will be happy running around in the open world. And in the end the Mechanist will do that in a great way.

It might be fine in PvE, but there are major concerns for PvP/WvW. literally half the engi stunbreaks are toolbelt skills, as is a ton of other functionality. That's not something you can easily fix by just tweaking numbers one way or the other. Losing toolbelt handicaps loads of utility skills. Mech's probably gonna get melted in WvW, and/or have its projectile attacks reflected. And if anet tanks it up to compensate, that could easily make it overpowered, giving you a projectile sponge to hide behind in small-man encounters unless they are piercing projectiles. Seems like it will be hard to balance. And that's before talking about the AI/pathing issues. 

And aside from the balance, it just feels like buildcrafting will be boring. The mechanist trait selection is so dumbed down, it's almost pigeon-holing you to select an entire trait row, depending on whether you are condi, power, or support. There doesn't seem much incentive to mix/match on traits. Feels like they are trying to treat their player base like kindergarteners w/ all the hand-holding. With all the base utilities handicapped, what would recommend any of those skills over the signets, which are specifically balanced around not ever having tool belt skills? One of the most fun things in both GW1, and, to a lesser extent, GW2, was the buildcrafting. I'd hate to see that aspect of the game get oversimplified. 

Everybody and their grandma will figure out in 2 days that with dead/pressured mech, their enemy is disabled and useless for the next ~100 seconds. This spec will be completely useless in PvP and WvW. In open world you can play whatever, and in high-end PvE there are definitely better options to take than this absolute tragedy of an elite spec.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Samug.6512 said:

Everybody and their grandma will figure out in 2 days that with dead/pressured mech, their enemy is disabled and useless for the next ~100 seconds. This spec will be completely useless in PvP and WvW. In open world you can play whatever, and in high-end PvE there are definitely better options to take than this absolute tragedy of an elite spec.

All of that is true (to some extent) ... none of that is a reason to change it. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, Raolin Soulherder.3195 said:

And aside from the balance, it just feels like buildcrafting will be boring. The mechanist trait selection is so dumbed down, it's almost pigeon-holing you to select an entire trait row, depending on whether you are condi, power, or support. There doesn't seem much incentive to mix/match on traits. Feels like they are trying to treat their player base like kindergarteners w/ all the hand-holding. With all the base utilities handicapped, what would recommend any of those skills over the signets, which are specifically balanced around not ever having tool belt skills? One of the most fun things in both GW1, and, to a lesser extent, GW2, was the buildcrafting. I'd hate to see that aspect of the game get oversimplified. 

This I find a weird take. Cause I suppose you are looking at viable endgame builds? Looking at Metabuild, Snowcrows in the end there isn't too much of a diversity in there either for Scrapper or Holosmith. In the end a build is META and that build is being used mainly. Or even within that line you have some things that are being used more often than less.

You have all the freedom to change a few things to not get max deeps. This is not only for Engineer but for most classes.

12 hours ago, Samug.6512 said:

It's BETA things change. They already mentioned that they look at that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RobinotX.1604 said:

This I find a weird take. Cause I suppose you are looking at viable endgame builds? Looking at Metabuild, Snowcrows in the end there isn't too much of a diversity in there either for Scrapper or Holosmith. In the end a build is META and that build is being used mainly. Or even within that line you have some things that are being used more often than less.

You have all the freedom to change a few things to not get max deeps. This is not only for Engineer but for most classes.

It's BETA things change. They already mentioned that they look at that.

I’m not talking about PvE.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raolin Soulherder.3195 said:

I’m not talking about PvE.

Well I am also talking about PvP and WvW. Especially the latter I feel you have the same freedom as in PvE. If you are just looking at high end WvW and PvE then again other classes and especs have only a few optimised builds as well.

PvP is pretty similar and from what we have seen currently it does seem that there is a lot of options for the Mechanist to build. In a similar vein as Holosmith and Scrapper.