Looking for Spvp Advice from more experienced warriors

THF.9672

Pretty new to the pvp scene, Finding matchup info pretty hard to find. Can find build info, map rotation info ect np but match specific information that isn't extremely outdated is like non existent.

I know the general consensus is that warrior is less than ideal atm, appears to probably be the weakest of all the side-noders and maybe has like no winning match-ups vs the meta classes? and is forced to outplay to win. But I enjoy the play style of spellbreaker so I do want to get better at it.

Just looking for some match-up tips vs some of the extremely common side noders/roamers that I'm likely (always) to run into from more experienced players. Like how you go about engaging, what you kite out, what your general thought process is to beat X spec. What cooldowns from them  you need to avoid, or get them to burn before you can push for a kill ect.

Versus:

-Condi Staff mesmser

-Condi Ranger

-Fire weaver

-Other warriors

-The roaming thief

-Grenade and Prot Holo

Any tips would be appreciated as far as specific match-ups go for you when playing strength spellbreaker.

• Like 2

OP, here's some advice and a warning: Don't play spvp. Ranked is a cesspool full of cheaters, win-traders, botters and general people who explain the matchmaking system. I don't think you will enjoy it much.

But nevertheless, I will relay some advice for those specific builds. Take Revenge Counter as one of your traits. It will make your Full Counter skill reflect conditions that they dish out right back at them. Two, other warriors will more likely use GS for mobility along with Warrior's Sprint for greater movement speed for capping and decapping points. Three, carry a condition cleansing utility skill at all times. You will need it! For holosmith, avoid engagement when the engi is in holo-mode(glowing appearance) and pressure it when out of holo-mode.

Edited by JTGuevara.9018
  • Like 3

1) Be on top of the mesmer all the time, dodge their axe skills and their staff 5. Bring cleanses and ideally a source of resistance. Hard CC them to oblivion. If the conditions they tick on you get bad, kite away before you have no CD to escape. Better leave than die in a match. Watch out for these big animations, dodge the shatters if you can, and press tab like a mad man to always fight the main guy. 

2) Tough. But doable. You want to keep a track on bleeds. Nothing else really does as much dmg. Ranger can disgustingly stacks more than 23 (iirc) stacks of bleed in a very short duration. Reflects are particularly useful against both shortbow and axes. Other than that, cleanses as always are needed. Try to ignore pets and dodge their big skills. Care for the abominations of vines, movement skill immediately out of them. After than you pretty much go full Ape on the ranger if they are off CDs. It always comes down to the warrior enduring what aids the other class throw at it (except for Scourge, since it never runs off CD). 

3) Quick weapon swap with Brawler's recovery will make sure the burning won't stack high. Weavers lack cover condis. It's easy to fight them if you don't stay into their fire fields. Hard CC does it for them too. Far more manageable in PvP than those trailblazer mfers in WvW that are unkillable. 

4) Skill based. Best matchup. You can either wipe/have the unending match/get wiped. It's all about who lands the animations second. That's because the one who does it first has a high chance of not landing them/being interrupted and essentially staying a step back in the whole fight. Everyone and their grandmother play Strength SpB cause it works the best in duels, so just watch them play it. Say they activate full counter and you trigger it, immediately use your full counter to counter their counter xD

5) Depends on enemy build and skill level. Reveals are always good to have, some ranged pressure too. Right now, condi warriors (or well since long ago) are particularly effective vs power thieves. Then again, Power warr is the right hands can get it done. Basically try to predict steal and land big dmg after they have used RFI. 

6) Prot Holo cannot be killed moving on. Grenades are a bit brain dead. LOS is the only thing you can do without blocks off CD. Try to force a melee, but even then they usually have all the if CD rdy while you have already burned through something. Kite them and make them chase you. Not rly worth it dying on node. Lure them in a good spot to get +1ed.

A lot of people are giving non-responses to this unfortunately. While it’s true warrior is bottom tier, there’s still ways to deal with other classes. Just remember that players of equal skill playing a class that outclasses your in almost every area is going to win a majority. However, strength spell has an extremely high ceiling as a duelist, and can sustain 1v2s vs equal skill players for a long time, which is useful in pvp. Let’s look at the specific matchups you asked about;

-Condi Staff mesmser

Continue to pressure. Unfortunately this is a very tough matchup, as we no longer have reliable clone cleave via full counter. If you are running axe, you will have a much easier time, as axe2 can cleave clones quickly, and axe 3 can maintain pressure on the Mesmer when they separate. The biggest thing is timing their bar for dodge/stability/aegis/distortion. Fortunately, with only 1 dodge they are the easiest class to dodge count. Additionally, they can’t cover 100% of the time to mitigate CC, you you can time CCs to the small gaps in mitigation, or strip their stab and burst. It’s a lot of timing and pacing, and a lot of practice. 

-Condi Ranger

I dont find condi ranger particularly difficult (assuming you’re talking about trapper, and not some other build one not thinking about). You need to constantly pressure, since they don’t have the same melee pressure as power soul did. If you can keep them tethered, you reduce their stealth and the separation they can build, allowing you to stay on them. The traps have really small animations and a delay on activation, so keep a mental bit of where they are, and deactivate with dodgers and whirlwind, just as you would for a DH. That will mitigate majority of their hurst, making your cleanses last longer.

-Fire weaver

Nothing real fancy here. With so many dodgers and stability, it’s just knowing what animations are dodgers, and timing CC/bursts to the end of dodge animations, and maintain pressure switch dagger leaps. Do NOT constantly pressure. Stay around 600 away so their pbAoE doesn’t reach you, then pop in and out with dagger leaps and whirlwind, focusing on bursting them down when you land a CC. 

-Other warriors

Play extremely passive and reactionary. Make them use their CCs, dodge and counter burst. This matchup goes a lot by feel imo. Hard to explain what I do other than react and not attack unless I know they are out of CDs or dodges. Better use of FC will sway this matchup dramatically. 

-The roaming thief

Thief is a hard counter. Landing tether will balance the fight a bit, but a good thief will kitten you up. Landing tether can balance the matchup somewhat. Make sure to keep track of their shadow step so you aren’t wasting CCs in the middle of it, as it is just a waste of a skill. As for specific tricks; rush, bulls rush, and dagger leaps can *technically* track stealth, if timed right. Just before they enter stealth (as the heart seeker animation is ending), use rush or bull rush to land a hit or at least bait a dodge. I would generally save bulls for if they are low enough that you can finish them in 1 CC. Additionally, time their stealth. As the expiration starts to reach it’s end, if you have the adrenaline, throw out an arcing or FC, or dodge. This is very touch and few though, and if you aren’t doing it in the right circumstances, you are just wasting resources. 

-Grenade and Prot Holo

Honestly, kind of like warrior, I just go by feel in this matchup mostly. Avoid grenades at all costs, the strip their stab and CC. Their stability is not pulsing, so strip+CC is much easier to land than other classes. Kite while they have stability, then engage when they don’t. CC holo leap and burst is a great counter burst because they are locked on the animation and are preparing to attack, so more susceptible to counter offensives. The hard part is they out damage and sustain you even without stability. 
Final tip: you don’t have to win any fights. Ignore the people saying warrior “should win 1v2s reliably” because that’s not realistic for a lot of players, and most people don’t fully understand how those 1v2s are done in a pvp setting. Not saying it’s not possible, or even what good warriors should do, just most never will be able to. What you CAN do is stall 1v2 or 3. Kite around obstacles off point and have them chase you off point. If you are holding 2 people, your team has a +1 advantage elsewhere and you are doing your job. When the second peels off, you should kill the solo and decap far (cap if you see your team has a multiple times advantage). This is best to practice in unranked imo, less toxic, lower skill level to help you learn to manage dealing with multiple people (idk what your current skill level is though, so it may be unnecessary).

Best of luck 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

-Condi Staff mesmser = Just go away, the node is for the (unironically) ranged mage, arc divider really cleaves well the clones and i miss when FC used to do that aswel, and just dont even use mending before FC or you're sure that they dont have powerblock and interrupts.

-Condi Ranger = Revenge counter kinda helps, even with the big nerf on resistance.

-Fire weaver = Once they stunbreak 2 times, they're done, but if you fail 1 single CC, its gonna be a loooong matchup.

-Other warriors = Stow on FC, about face, helps a lot.

-The roaming thief = Kite away on no valid path zones.

-Grenade and Prot Holo = people says that warrior wins holos, but grenade and prot holos are pretty strong tbh, blinds and big dmg, just try and cleave those blinds with dagger autos or dodges.

Edited by Zizekent.2398

On 10/24/2021 at 4:50 AM, JTGuevara.9018 said:

OP, here's some advice and a warning: Don't play spvp. Ranked is a cesspool full of cheaters, win-traders, botters and general people who explain the matchmaking system. I don't think you will enjoy it much.

But nevertheless, I will relay some advice for those specific builds. Take Revenge Counter as one of your traits. It will make your Full Counter skill reflect conditions that they dish out right back at them. Two, other warriors will more likely use GS for mobility along with Warrior's Sprint for greater movement speed for capping and decapping points. Three, carry a condition cleansing utility skill at all times. You will need it! For holosmith, avoid engagement when the engi is in holo-mode(glowing appearance) and pressure it when out of holo-mode.

This is the truth.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:50 AM, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Take Revenge Counter as one of your traits. It will make your Full Counter skill reflect conditions that they dish out right back at them.

Its not a condition reflect, you're copying it on them, not reflecting them. Basically, you still have the same condis lol.

Edited by Zizekent.2398

1 hour ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

You are right. I stand corrected. It certainly looks that way though!

It should be a condition transfer. If it were I might actually run it. The trait itself should also allow FC to do enough damage to kill Mesmer clones on a crit (2500 damage), then I would definitely consider running it. 

old top 25 title warrior here,

i'm pretty sure you are better then 90% of the poster giving advice here.

i'm not going tell you pointless advices like how to press weapon skills

or how it's impossible to kill people

or tell you to play some off-meta niche build to counter 1 build and be destroyed by the rest of the enemy team.

just a few points that will increase your chance of winning

against staff mesmer, the only thing that will help you win is to land dagger f1 tether on real mesmer..nothing else matters as much...also kill clones, if you cant reach the mesmer, kill the clones, clones die in like 1-2 AAs and dont waste your CDs when staff 5 is out.

condi ranger, dodge the traps and move out..nothing much else..other then managing mending and shake it off against condi stacks..try to use mending first, then shake it off. mending is strong condi cleanse with low CD, a lot of warrior panic spam shake it off on traps and die fast. oh and same as mes, land tether on ranger not pet. prevent stealth and runaway..

fire weaver, don't blow CD in water/earth because there will always be dodge, you can GS AA them in these phases, because they are defensive and deal 0 damage..best attack window is when it switches to fire and does the leap attack..you land dagger 3/full counter and burst...dodge/block/weapon swap cleanse the fire+primal stance and lava form..it's all pulsing aoe burn..

thief: nothing much. land tether by landing dagger 3, you will almost guarantee be blinded if enemy is decent thief, you can blow shake it off to land dagger 3 and swap for arc slice.

or stay gs and swap to cleanse blind and dagger 3 and f1..if enemy is garbage thief who doesnt blind you, dagger 3 and swap burst. easy. any meta d/p thief with a brain will not engage you when tethered, unless they want to die, just go on with your business.

grenade engi is hard because explosive entrance blind fk over warrior...so need to keep track of their dodges, you either mirror their dodge to dodge the blind or you use weapon swap to cleanse the blind and land dagger 3 or bursts

prot engi, rip the protection and damage, tether pull it away from it's arena or save CDs when arena is away. some times i just run away hide behind LoS when arena is there and come back after.

Edited by felix.2386
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, felix.2386 said:

old top 25 title warrior here,

i'm pretty sure you are better then 90% of the poster giving advice here.

i'm not going tell you pointless advices like how to press weapon skills

or how it's impossible to kill people

or tell you to play some off-meta niche build to counter 1 build and be destroyed by the rest of the enemy team.

just a few points that will increase your chance of winning

against staff mesmer, the only thing that will help you win is to land dagger f1 tether on real mesmer..nothing else matters as much...also kill clones, if you cant reach the mesmer, kill the clones, clones die in like 1-2 AAs and dont waste your CDs when staff 5 is out.

condi ranger, dodge the traps and move out..nothing much else..other then managing mending and shake it off against condi stacks..try to use mending first, then shake it off. mending is strong condi cleanse with low CD, a lot of warrior panic spam shake it off on traps and die fast. oh and same as mes, land tether on ranger not pet. prevent stealth and runaway..

fire weaver, don't blow CD in water/earth because there will always be dodge, you can GS AA them in these phases, because they are defensive and deal 0 damage..best attack window is when it switches to fire and does the leap attack..you land dagger 3/full counter and burst...dodge/block/weapon swap cleanse the fire+primal stance and lava form..it's all pulsing aoe burn..

thief: nothing much. land tether by landing dagger 3, you will almost guarantee be blinded if enemy is decent thief, you can blow shake it off to land dagger 3 and swap for arc slice.

or stay gs and swap to cleanse blind and dagger 3 and f1..if enemy is garbage thief who doesnt blind you, dagger 3 and swap burst. easy. any meta d/p thief with a brain will not engage you when tethered, unless they want to die, just go on with your business.

grenade engi is hard because explosive entrance blind fk over warrior...so need to keep track of their dodges, you either mirror their dodge to dodge the blind or you use weapon swap to cleanse the blind and land dagger 3 or bursts

prot engi, rip the protection and damage, tether pull it away from it's arena or save CDs when arena is away. some times i just run away hide behind LoS when arena is there and come back after.

There is good points here, but some people need advices to become better is hard to master a class.

Edited by Broxxgar.6801
Bad anwser here.
  • Confused 2