What are the trade offs for each Elite Specialization?

VocalThought.9835

On 10/26/2021 at 11:28 PM, oscuro.9720 said:

Warrior Loses:

Weapon Swap 

Burst skills on one weapon

70 more adrenaline required for burst skill

Stationary charging required for using burst skill

Warrior Gains:

Gun Saber as second weapon set

Dragon trigger kit when in gun saber

Warrior bros, am I forgetting anything?

Lose: Dignity, actual damage on burst (competitive)

Gain: Nothing

On 10/27/2021 at 7:19 AM, Clockless.2503 said:

That's only if you are looking to use the full charge.  It seemed to work pretty well if you were willing to accept a smaller payoff and more frequent shots.

If you do this, you might as well not use it at all. 

The damage is raising exponentially. So you do significant less damage for each bullet. Thats not really a payoff since only a 10 bullet attack counts as t3 burst. Not sure right now when you get t2, 5 or 6 bullets? Thats still 2-3 seconds. 

Its not like the damage will stay like this. So your payoff will gradually weaken.

On 10/25/2021 at 12:58 AM, Dadnir.5038 said:

What's lost:

Virtuoso: No clone, so the mesmer won't be able to capitalize on the deception that the clones can create.

Harbinger: No 2nd health bar and blight reducing max health by up to 50%.

Willbender: Virtues passive is baked into the active which mean there is no longer a "passive" effect. (or at least it's how I understand it)

Vindicator: The spec capitalize on the dodge which is not a traditional one.

Bladesworn: Lose traditional bursts and have a mandatory weaponset.

Catalyst: No trade-off only powercreep and it's not even enough to make it a 'strong elementalist'.

Specter: Lose access to F1 mobility, F2 bundle and have reduced initiative.

Untamed: Same as Catalyst. Ah... Let's be generous and say that you lose a bit of control over your pet.

Mechanist: No toolbelt skills and a crippling CD on the mech if you don't make sure it take no damage.

What's gained:

Virtuoso: Your shatter ressource is no longer tied to a specific target.

Harbinger: LF to health regen and some instant mobility.

Willbender: Lot of instant mobility.

Vindicator: A new OP dodge.

Bladesworn: A strong mandatory weapon with gameplay defining burst.

Catalyst: a shiny AoE on it's F key and a few unique self-buffs that aren't boons.

Specter: a "shroud" and access to barrier (most of it is restricted to a single allie thought...).

Untamed: Potent wide area skills at melee range.

Mechanist: A pet that inherit some of your stats.

What I see here is the disparity in the elite spec "gimmick." Its unfortunately obvious to me that different devs/teams of devs have worked on different elite specs. What one dev/group of devs consider a tradeoff, unique gimmick, and balance tuning is not always going to be competently the same no matter how professional they are. For example, imagine if both of us were tasked with making a cherry pie. The only stipulation is to have it done by today and must get all your supplies at the grocery store (analogies). The end result is most likely going to be very different and if reviewed by hundreds of thousands of people, one will surely be more preferable. I think this is why many specs receive overhauls and fine tuning years later after more devs give them some more peer review.

I think some of the specs have enough and just need balance changes and others need more. Take Virtuoso vs Vindicator. Storing clone charges, the new Blade ability type and 3 new weapon skills verses a new interesting dodge, 5 new weapon skills, and utility skills that flip. To make Virtuoso a bit more equal to vindicator they should include dual dagger wielding at the minimum.

6 hours ago, anbujackson.9564 said:

If you do this, you might as well not use it at all. 

The damage is raising exponentially. So you do significant less damage for each bullet. Thats not really a payoff since only a 10 bullet attack counts as t3 burst. Not sure right now when you get t2, 5 or 6 bullets? Thats still 2-3 seconds. 

Its not like the damage will stay like this. So your payoff will gradually weaken.

Depends on if he is talking about competitive or pve. Competitive mode there was literally no reason to full charge, since the difference in damage between 5 bullets and 10 was 400 (not a typo, legitimately four hundred in my tests). From 1 charge to 10, the damage roughly doubled. However, popping it off with 1 charge gave a stun (when trailed), and high mobility on the dash, so it wasn’t that bad.