Make Griffons Great Again

Styopa.2538

I absolutely love my Griffon - the model, the skin, the movements, all are really top notch - but compared to the pure-utility minivan that is the skyscale I frankly almost never use it.

For me, anyway, all it would take to make Griffons even somewhat interesting for general use would be to let them use updrafts (like gliding players).  Then suddenly you have a very fast mount that can cover serious map distances instead of (what it is now) a sexy, highly maneuverable glider.

• Like 26
  • Confused 3

Thats actually a nice idea i never thought about. Well updrafts are even strong enough to move up norns, so why not griffons. xD

That would surely be not that bad and would make me playing more on verdant brink for sure. I always wanted more use of my griffon since i also got a really nice skin for it that i love. Seems really like an interesting idea imho.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Styopa.2538 said:

I absolutely love my Griffon - the model, the skin, the movements, all are really top notch - but compared to the pure-utility minivan that is the skyscale I frankly almost never use it.

For me, anyway, all it would take to make Griffons even somewhat interesting for general use would be to let them use updrafts (like gliding players).  Then suddenly you have a very fast mount that can cover serious map distances instead of (what it is now) a sexy, highly maneuverable glider.

OP threads like this is why this video needed to be made.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yeah, while I find the idea of being able to use updrafts somewhat interesting (kind of like riding the tornado in Jahai Bluffs?), it's really more from an ease-of-use standpoint, because the griffon already is "a very fast mount that can cover serious map distances" - you just need to learn all the tricks.

One of the more subtle things in that video that may get lost in all the aerobatics is that they finish at the same altitude (maybe even slightly higher) than they started over three minutes earlier. That's because griffons do not, in fact, inevitably lose altitude like a glider - if you make enough use of the pull up wing flap, you can regain all the altitude you lost. It needs practice to master, but there are tutorial videos on YouTube to explain how everything works.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Griffons are fine as they are. They need to start up at a fairly high level above the ground level but the video above just show that you basically "never loses altitude" to say as long as you properly use dive and rise.

This kind of video really makes me wonder if I should actually purchase a Griffon even though I already own a Skyscale. Skyscale definitely get the job done for most of the time, but if you find a high spot, not only Griffon does the job faster but it also looks more fun.

• Like 5

Seriously, get the griffon. Once you master it, it's ridiculously fun to fly around and do tricks/stunt flying. Not to mention if you pair it with Skyskale + Bond of Vigor (go to max height, then boost up at an angle twice, BoV, then twice more) then Bond of Faith off and get on your griffon. Congratulations, you're now high enough  from flat ground to do a boosted dive to full speed on griffon and still have space to pull flat and not hit the floor. Best done from the top of small slopes for a little more leeway, but you can actually do it from completely flat ground as well. Griffon truly rewards you for mastering it, and once you have it's a joy to use 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, SeTect.5918 said:

Thats actually a nice idea i never thought about. Well updrafts are even strong enough to move up norns, so why not griffons. xD

That would surely be not that bad and would make me playing more on verdant brink for sure. I always wanted more use of my griffon since i also got a really nice skin for it that i love. Seems really like an interesting idea imho.

Going by that logic, updrafts should skyrocket every Asura into space and beyond. 

Not that I'd be against this kind of solution to get rid of those lil' rats, but I guess it would upset at least some players...

• Haha 10

That video is the best. After I saw it I decided to try myself if I could stay in the air indefinitely in Queensdale, and it worked! You have to stay on top of your dives and flaps though. 🙂  

There is one thing I noticed: I often have a hard time to get that first "speed up" wingflap when I start my dive. Sometimes it takes so long that I am losing too much altitude while not at full speed yet.  Is there a trick to having that first wingflap in your dive happen faster?  And a last question: it only needs a single wingflap during a dive to get to top speed right?  Because I remember something about needing two flaps during the dive to go even faster.

Also, it took me weeks before I realized that a wingflap during a dive would immensely speed up the griffon...... and then I discovered the pull-up ability. 🙂  Untill that time I tried a few of those griffon adventures and thought them impossible. I am such a noob sometimes.  Still, I wonder  if there are maybe people who still do not use those skills to the fullest and just start up high somewhere, dive for some speed  and leave it at that.  Like I did, for weeks. 😅

Edited by Tyncale.1629
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Thanks for sharing that! After watching it Youtube linked me another one of their videos where they do some really impressive flying through the Tangled Depths ley line caverns, Orr, and the Dzasha Uplands in Vabbi. This game really looks amazing while zooming through it on griffon!

I got inspired to work on really learning my griffon. Watched the tutorial video where the person you linked talks through how they do it. Played around in a few zones where I could start from a good height and have a wide open space to play around. in. Wound up next to a Griffon Adventure, and tried it, getting through on more ring each time I failed and started over.

Anyone know if there's a list of the Griffon Adventures in order of difficulty? The wiki isn't very good about them, as they are just mixed in among all the other adventures, though for some reason the beetle races have their own list. I thought it would be great training to start with the easiest and work up to the hardest.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

34 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Anyone know if there's a list of the Griffon Adventures in order of difficulty? The wiki isn't very good about them, as they are just mixed in among all the other adventures, though for some reason the beetle races have their own list. I thought it would be great training to start with the easiest and work up to the hardest.

I would not know about a list that categorizes them by difficulty, all I can tell you that there is a single one that I have not mastered yet, and that is the Istan Griffon Master adventure, so that is the hardest one at least for me. 🙂  Don't start with that one!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

I love those griff flying videos ❤♥♥♥ But I really cant figure out how to do that lol ! Griff is super fast if you can figure it out.

The person who made that video also made an explanation video.

It certainly does take practice! I seem to hold my dives too long a lot of the time. Rebinding dive and climb to some mouse buttons is very helpful.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Today I tried to see if I could use the Skyscale to rise as high as possible from an otherwise low part of a zone, then use Bond of Vigor to get just a wee bit of extra height and then use the Skill that dismounts you (and propels you upward even more), and then immediately whip out the Griffon in midair, to see if I had gained enough height to be able to do a Dive + wingflap+ pullup and be free in the air: not working. 🙂   If that would have worked, you wouldn't have to seek higher ground with your griffon but could just "start" from anywhere.  

• Thanks 1