Make Griffons Great Again

Styopa.2538

On 10/25/2021 at 12:28 PM, Styopa.2538 said:

I absolutely love my Griffon - the model, the skin, the movements, all are really top notch - but compared to the pure-utility minivan that is the skyscale I frankly almost never use it.

For me, anyway, all it would take to make Griffons even somewhat interesting for general use would be to let them use updrafts (like gliding players).  Then suddenly you have a very fast mount that can cover serious map distances instead of (what it is now) a sexy, highly maneuverable glider.

To be honest I felt the same way and always wondered why they couldn't learn to do this.  It legit flies like a bird. Now would even be a good time to teach them simply because the skimmer can go underwater now. It would be something fun like that. They could even add a wind tunnel mechanic. You could dive into it, the griffin auto flies in it (because it would be fast and think of it kinda like an elevator or when we sit in the updrafts) and you can choose to leave it early for momentum. OR you wait until it shoots you out from where ever and use the speed to gain more lift. Regardless though they are basically birds in their flight style so using updrafts should be able to be taught to them at some point.

19 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Anyone know if there's a list of the Griffon Adventures in order of difficulty? The wiki isn't very good about them, as they are just mixed in among all the other adventures, though for some reason the beetle races have their own list. I thought it would be great training to start with the easiest and work up to the hardest.

I haven't seen one, but the "expert" courses are usually easier than the "master" courses. That really only strictly holds true on the same map, though. There are some expert courses that are still quite tough.

A rough tier list (P.S. this is really just my opinion, your mileage may vary) -

Easy (may not even require up-flap)

• Crystal Oasis Griffon Expert
  • Jahai Bluffs Griffon Expert

Moderate (some significant elevation gain or tight maneuvering)

• Highlands Griffon Expert
  • Highlands Griffon Master
  • Riverlands Griffon Expert
  • Desolation Griffon Expert
  • Vabbian Griffon Expert
  • Vabbian Griffon Master
  • Istan Griffon Expert
  • Domain of Kourna Griffon Expert
  • Jahai Bluffs Griffon Master

Hard (both of the above, or requires careful altitude management/stamina boosts off checkpoints)

• Crystal Oasis Griffon Master
  • Riverlands Griffon Master
  • Desolation Griffon Master
  • Domain of Kourna Griffon Master
  • Labyrinthine Cliffs Griffon Expert

Very Hard

These I can rank.

3. Sandswept Isles Griffon Expert (really unintuitive path, lots of switchbacks and rapid dive/climb/dive sequences)

2. Istan Griffon Master (low margin for error, at least if you don't use fast climb tricks)

1. Labyrinthine Cliffs Griffon Master (the ending is ridiculous)

Edited by Sirius.4510
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

Today I tried to see if I could use the Skyscale to rise as high as possible from an otherwise low part of a zone, then use Bond of Vigor to get just a wee bit of extra height and then use the Skill that dismounts you (and propels you upward even more), and then immediately whip out the Griffon in midair, to see if I had gained enough height to be able to do a Dive + wingflap+ pullup and be free in the air: not working. 🙂   If that would have worked, you wouldn't have to seek higher ground with your griffon but could just "start" from anywhere.  

Will try this next chance I get.

Watching videos, it seems some people are able to pull off the dive/wing flap zoom in a shorter dive than I seem to be able to do. Not sure what I'm doing different, but will keep practicing.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2021 at 12:28 PM, Styopa.2538 said:

I absolutely love my Griffon - the model, the skin, the movements, all are really top notch - but compared to the pure-utility minivan that is the skyscale I frankly almost never use it.

For me, anyway, all it would take to make Griffons even somewhat interesting for general use would be to let them use updrafts (like gliding players).  Then suddenly you have a very fast mount that can cover serious map distances instead of (what it is now) a sexy, highly maneuverable glider.

I would use it more if the take off jump height was higher... doubling that would help a lot.

20 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Will try this next chance I get.

Watching videos, it seems some people are able to pull off the dive/wing flap zoom in a shorter dive than I seem to be able to do. Not sure what I'm doing different, but will keep practicing.

Pull up a little bit after the flap, you wont lose speed. Once you get a hang of animations you will get a feeling where you can pull up to level. If you just let it level by itself the animation is to long.

Also you don't need to hold flap while diving, you can just press it once and it will go to super speed. Often people get this habits with button presses/hold that might not be optimal. It's good that you are aware of what buttons you press at what time and how you can improve it. Once it becomes a habit it is much harder to get rid of.

Keep in mind you need to have almost full energy bar to flap. So don't dive with empty energy bar, the flap will come late. If it is easier you can go skyscale - bond of vigor - bond of faith - GLIDER - griffon -dive or  skyscale - bov - bof - griffon - flap- wait 1 sec - dive.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/27/2021 at 5:21 AM, Sirius.4510 said:

I haven't seen one, but the "expert" courses are usually easier than the "master" courses. That really only strictly holds true on the same map, though. There are some expert courses that are still quite tough.

A rough tier list (P.S. this is really just my opinion, your mileage may vary) -

...list clipped...

Thanks so much for taking the time to list these out!

I started with your two easy, and had to do them many times just to finish. It really does take a while to get the hang of this! I think it must have clicked, though, because I was able to go on and do all the expert ones you listed in your moderate category. Other than Sandswept Isles, I've now gotten gold on all expert courses, and am on my way to really learning the griffon.

So glad the OP started this thread. After the trouble and expense of getting the griffon, I've only used it in a few, specific instances. This conversation has opened my eyes to how much fun this mount can be!

• Like 2

On 10/26/2021 at 7:51 AM, Nash.2681 said:

Going by that logic, updrafts should skyrocket every Asura into space and beyond. 

Not that I'd be against this kind of solution to get rid of those lil' rats, but I guess it would upset at least some players...

That's all we need, a constellation of orbiting raisin-goblins.

• Haha 4

On 10/25/2021 at 10:05 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

This has been suggested a lot (see forums search "updraft") and discounted as it would invalidate gliders.

It would also make Beetle less used as it is the landbased version of fast mount to travel longer distance. I don't think Griffon having updraft be an good idea as we can already mid air jump of or flying mounts and use Gliding (and updraft where it is on map) and resummon any flying mount as Skyscale or Griffon. In area with Volatile Motes/Karma Motes you can also use that to get higher up instead of Updraft, so there is ways to get around the need to add another skill to Griffon.

Another issue would be that Skyscale are loosing elevation over time and need to re-charge to get higher up in air. If Griffon where the only one getting this ability to get higher up in air without any envirmental support (Skyscale can charge up from vertical surfaces as long they are solid or have a hit box to land on), then Skyscale would also be less useful.

• Like 3

On 10/25/2021 at 3:28 PM, Styopa.2538 said:

We do need more updrafts, but please no, updrafts are for gliders. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Small tip on dive+flap

A lot of people dive and hold down spacebar, so they flap the minute the bar is full. Somehow, that actually takes longer than a quick tap on the spacebar to do the flap. 

Try it up high a few times, to time it.

What I did to learn it myself was go to the sky castle in Desert Highlands, and start from there, you have SO MUCH space to test things, do a few dives+ flaps and see what works best for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Updraft use would be nice indeed, but to me, Griffon is the best mount already.

With the wing flap it quickly jumps on and over obstacles and quickly glides off again. In most cases, it replaces the springer raptor, skyscale and glider for me.

Yes, the springer jumps higher, yes, the raptor runs faster, yes, the skyscale ascends like a helicopter. But the Griffon is the best mount to me overall and my trusty companion on most of my journeys.

3 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Updraft use would be nice indeed, but to me, Griffon is the best mount already.

With the wing flap it quickly jumps on and over obstacles and quickly glides off again. In most cases, it replaces the springer raptor, skyscale and glider for me.

Yes, the springer jumps higher, yes, the raptor runs faster, yes, the skyscale ascends like a helicopter. But the Griffon is the best mount to me overall and my trusty companion on most of my journeys.

Dont you think Griffon is harder to land on stuff vs the Skyscale?  With that Barrel Roll, Skyscale is not notably slower than Griffon either, imho.  

I have 2 accounts, one with all the mounts minus Griffon and one account with only the core 5 mounts.  I find Skyscale vastly superior in almost every way to all of the other mounts... it is so much more useful that I rather wish they hadnt added it!!!

• Like 1

Skyscale is slow and cumbersome. It's for getting vertical without having to bunny off ledge after ledge. 

Griffon is for fast horizontal movement. Nothing is comparable to it. 

Giving them updrafts would be absurd and further eliminate the point in using the glider. 

I'd like to be able to dismount without relying on the Leap of Faith thing that launches you and blocks you from mounting for a while (e.g., yoh flap to an updraft, climb off into a glide, updraft into the sky, then remount), but ultimately the system works. You just need to learn to use the griffon. Do the PoF adventures. They quickly teach you thw advanced mechanics.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just cant use griffon again after I got the skyscale. The skyscale precision is just superior to the flappybirb. My spacebar loves me now.

But the beetle well satisfies the gonna go faaaaaaast urge, and is much easier to pull off.

Yes, some rare few maps supports the birb well like thunderhead peaks, but they are not common

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 12:05 PM, Tyncale.1629 said:

Today I tried to see if I could use the Skyscale to rise as high as possible from an otherwise low part of a zone, then use Bond of Vigor to get just a wee bit of extra height and then use the Skill that dismounts you (and propels you upward even more), and then immediately whip out the Griffon in midair, to see if I had gained enough height to be able to do a Dive + wingflap+ pullup and be free in the air: not working. 🙂   If that would have worked, you wouldn't have to seek higher ground with your griffon but could just "start" from anywhere.  

From my experience the game has an odd delay after using dismount mid air before you can mount again and you lose a shitload of altitude which kinda spoils the benefit of trying this. Some times if I pop glider a sec in between I can lose less altitude but the mid air mount swap is always clunky and slow for me. Generally, I don't find it useful to dismount mid air to change mounts. In practice I would say, If I end up trying to change mounts mid air its generally a loss. I mean, if I know the terrain I normally find a way to pop my flying mount without needing the dismount and without needing to change mounts mid air. I save the dismount for landing basically. I wish the mid air dismount thing worked faster so it was effective. I dont think its my PC cause I get pretty solid 60+ fps (120 most of the time)

Also I love my griffon but do use the skyscale allot too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 8:05 PM, Tyncale.1629 said:

You can actually. What you need to do is go to max height on skyscale, angle camera at 45degrees up (max angle up) then dash twice, hit Bond of Vigor, dash twice again, then Bond of Faith. This allows you to break way through the height cap of the skyscale above its take-off point, and gives you just enough hight that if you spam glider so you open it the moment BoF's no glider cooldown ends, then hop on griffon. flap once, allow stamina to regen to just below 60%, hit dive (during this stamina reaches the 60% needed to do a manual flap) and immediately flap once/release dive key then super-short tap on your pull-up keybind so you pull flat much sharper than normal after releasing the dive keybind. With this method, you can go to full speed on griffon from perfectly flat ground, but to give yourself a touch more leyway, it's often best to do this from the tops of small slopes/hills 🙂

• Like 1