Why Gunsaber?

Grand Marshal.4098

Yea, I had the same feeling when Bladesworn was revealed and when I played it. And greatsword is still better imo with its built in damage mitigation such as the evade on [Whirlwind Attack] and gap closer/retreat with [Rush].

I'm still of the mind that the devs should make the gunsabre into a kit and simply let [Dragon Trigger] be available without it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

If you can make any weapon into a kit and have us use it, why stick to a Greatsword ? We already have that. 

Why not make the kit a Greataxe? Imagine that! I tell you a greataxe kit with actual gap closers, some utility and dps and boom perfect kit. Cool factor +100000000000000

3 responses to that:
1- they alredy had the model for greatsword so it was easy to transform

2- the weebfactor was to hight , they needed to capitalise on it

3-they didn't have idea for this spec so gun samourai was the most cantha thing in their head (even if it sounded cool ,it didn't in gameplay)

Edited by DemonCrypto.6792
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Katana are way more popular as a weapon type than greataxes. There was no way in hell Anet wouldn't add a katana based spec in some way with End of Dragons, considering that we are going to Cantha, a region heavily inspired by different Asian cultures.

Sure ok. Isn't that Willbender's job? 

Not only for warrior though. The idea of a specific weapon kit on a profession can work on other professions. Like say, an actual Scythe, Spear, Trident on land. With no need of doing that with actual weapons. 

Something unique. Why stick always to the same things? It is very restrictive. I wonder how their marketing teams will react to the feedback around the internet on the especs and what course of action the design team/balance team will take regardless of flavor though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Sure ok. Isn't that Willbender's job? 

Willbender got an offhand sword. Katana how it is used in kendo and iaido is more of a 2-handed fighting style (aka greatsword).

And iaido definitely is the inspiration for the gunsaber. The entire shtick of the dragon trigger which puts the gunsaber in the sheath and draws it for a powerful attack is pretty similar to how iaido implements the drawing of the blade into the fight.

Willbender in their playstyle really don't give the feeling of this katana fighting style. They could have made it resemble the nito ryu style (which is the fighting style of using 2 swords in kendo), but as it currently stands, it really doesn't resemble it at all. It would also have been pretty hard for them to do that, since nito ryu has a really unique style and general fighting pose. Going for the kendo style with one katana was easier to do and also is recognised way more easily by people (I am not even sure how many people know about nito ryu in kendo for the average player).

11 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Not only for warrior though. The idea of a specific weapon kit on a profession can work on other professions. Like say, an actual Scythe, Spear, Trident on land. With no need of doing that with actual weapons. 

Something unique. Why stick always to the same things? It is very restrictive. I wonder how their marketing teams will react to the feedback around the internet on the especs and what course of action the design team/balance team will take regardless of flavor though. 

It kinda is something unique, tho? It's not an actual greatsword, it is a gunsaber, a sword combined with firearms. Inside of the GW2 spectrum, this is really kitten unique.

Arenanet simply didn't want to give Warrior an elite specialization that'd be useful or effective, so they decided on something that'd be flashy enough to hide how bad the specialization is.

Since guns and Japanese swords (an Oodachi in this case) often are among the most popular weapons in fantasy games, Arenanet simply combined them.

15 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Arenanet simply didn't want to give Warrior an elite specialization that'd be useful or effective

There's a few builds where it's actually remarkably good. It just feels weird compared to the current Warrior mindset (i.e. weapon swapping vs. Gunsaber camping). It's possible we'll see some tweaks come Beta 4 (or release).

32 minutes ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

There's a few builds where it's actually remarkably good. It just feels weird compared to the current Warrior mindset (i.e. weapon swapping vs. Gunsaber camping). It's possible we'll see some tweaks come Beta 4 (or release).

I can't see how a specialization, whose bulk of damage comes from a stationary charged ability, can be all that effective in GW2.

Even in PvE there's more and more AoE spam and CC, which turn the Dragon Trigger into a rather suicidal move.

7 minutes ago, Smoosh.2718 said:

But... you know what would be even cooler?!! Mainhand Pistol..

You know what would have been even cooler than a pistol?

An elite specialization that doesn't fall into a niche that's already covered by Warrior's other elite specializations, for example support or ranged dps.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I can't see how a specialization, whose bulk of damage comes from a stationary charged ability, can be all that effective in GW2.

Even in PvE there's more and more AoE spam and CC, which turn the Dragon Trigger into a rather suicidal move.

Give this build a looksee 

Might not be as effective against mobs, but it seems to do a bang-up job in PvE despite the AoE and CC spam. Especially against HoT bosses which are notoriously a pain.

Not saying this spec is without faults, it definitely needs some tweaking and reworks to different traits, skills, and mechanics, but it seems to play similarly to a Deadeye Sniper build (stationary for the most part) in melee range. And since the damage is geometric, you might be able to forego some ferocity and/or power and instead stack towards a tanky build.

Edited by Geoff Fey.1035

Worst thing imo is how little focus there is on new weapon (pistol) and instead, the spec revolves around "unique" Greatswordrifle and Dragon Slash's op damage. This also leaves me with bitter taste when I am almost done with HOPE legendary.

I would prefer Greataxe or even spear (YES I SAID IT) rather than have this boring hybrid of Greatsword and Rifle. Like what is original and interesting about merging the most used warrior weapon ever with weapon that went through one of the most meh reworks ever? This e-spec is carried so hard by Dragon Slash op damage, it's insane. Would be a shame if...

@Geoff Fey.1035That build only works because activating Dragon Slash triggers Gunsaber weapon swap effect, which it doesn't when you go into Dragon Trigger, which is inconsistent and makes no sense. Plus, the weaponswap effect occurs immediately after the burst skill starts casting, and not right after the casting is done, which is also strange.

If you think about it, only Gunsaber weapon has burst and ability to use profession mechanics, all other normal weapons are almost completely irrelevant on Bladesworn because you can't use Dragon Trigger from those directly and you can't use core burst skills as trade off ON TOP of not being able to use 2nd normal weapon set.

My point is that the build you linked only works because of weird interaction and vast majority of damage being focused on one skill. Such design is destined to fail and I have no idea what Anet was thinking.

Off-topic:

Anet could make pistol relevant (important for its damage and utility), merge Gunsaber with Dragon Trigger as F1 kit that you can go into anytime, stay in for as long as you want and use its skills that would require adrenaline or new flow mechanic. Gunsaber would have powerful skills, like e.g. Photon Forge. Much simpler and direct, no weird convoluted mechanics. No need for special mode for special mode. Split damage between more skills including pistol skills so the spec is not heavily reliant on a single skill (Dragon Slash).

• Like 2

@Lan Deathrider.5910You're right about the weird mechanics. I figure they'll get changed with full release but just wanted to point out that you can use it to great effect n its current form.

I feel Pistol would be so much more relevant if they made:

• Extra flow on explosions (~5-10 per explosion)
  • Max flow (100) unlocks Gunsaber.
  • Each skills (2-5) used while in Gunsaber charges 1 "bullet"
  • Burst F1/F2/F3
  • Kicks you out of Gunsaber

That way it gives you motivation to use Pistol vs. the other (better) offhands as access to your Gunsaber (Dragon's Roar -> Gunstinger -> Dragon's Roar), promotes staying in Gunsaber (skills charge bullets), and creates a more active playstyle while "charging".

They most likely won't change the charge mechanic though, since the media materials would need to be revised (trailer) and once those come out things are usually set more or less in stone. Since that's the case, finding ways to work with and around its current iteration (with tweaks to Flow, Charge Time required, cooldowns, traits, etc. etc.) are what we have to hone in on.

Pretty sure the answer to the OP's question ... is that there is strong thematic reason for their choice. I mean ... what other weapon does it make the most sense to attach a hand cannon to? Seems to me they made a relevant choice here. For example, kind of stupid to have a GunBow don't you think? GunAxe? The field of choices narrows PRETTY fast when you think about how accepted these weapon combinations would be. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

58 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Pretty sure the answer to the OP's question ... is that there is strong thematic reason for their choice. I mean ... what other weapon does it make the most sense to attach a hand cannon to? Seems to me they made a relevant choice here. For example, kind of stupid to have a GunBow don't you think? GunAxe? The field of choices narrows PRETTY fast when you think about how accepted these weapon combinations would be. 

Gun shields, gun daggers, gun axes, and gun maces all existed in history with the polish pistol axe being the most useful version that for a long time served as their fielded weapon.

15 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Gun shields, gun daggers, gun axes, and gun maces all existed in history with the polish pistol axe being the most useful version that for a long time served as their fielded weapon.

OK ... but we aren't talking about a small handgun here right ... I mean, sure, Anet could imagine anything and yes, I'm aware there are other 'gun' weapons from history, but the question here is why NOT a Gunsaber? Like any other choice was somehow more fitting because of the story?

The point is simple ... it's fitting and probably other things not fitting as much. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

Just now, Obtena.7952 said:

OK ... but we aren't talking about a small handgun here right ... I mean, sure, Anet could imagine anything and yes, I'm aware there are other 'gun' weapons from history, but the question here is why NOT a Gunsaber? Like any other choice was somehow more fitting because of the story?

Gun axes existed also as rifles with an axe head at the end.

As mentioned before though, why not MH pistol?

8 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Gun axes existed also as rifles with an axe head at the end.

As mentioned before though, why not MH pistol?

Could be lots of reasons. I can only assume it's some combination of many reasons. I would think one possible reasons is that the current offhands aren't actually very supporting of the concept for Bladesworn while there are already many options relevant for a MH. From that perspective, along with the ammo focus ... OH pistol makes sense. 

You guys don't the right questions. It's not about why something isn't ... because it could be lots of things. It's about why it is. I mean ... is the point here to complain about the weapon development for Bladesworn? Because this isn't a very good way to do it IMO. 

Edited by Obtena.7952