Bull's Charge and Rush feel slow and ponderous

Xalruj.6812

I imagine this has been brought up before, but I think it bears repeating: with their time to accelerate and speed of animation, the Bull's Charge and Rush abilities for Warrior do not feel nearly as impactful/good as other gap closers.  I just watched some gameplay of the Vindicator specialization from the upcoming expansion, and one of the things that struck me was how quick Phantom's Rush was to both activate, reach the target, and end its animation in a very fluid way.  Contrast that with Bull's Charge, which has a slight delay before it actually gets moving (which feels terrible), and Rush, which I swear acts as a stealth RP mechanic because you feel the same strain as your character as they try and hoof it to the target with a plodding "charge".

It would be magnificent if these abilities were altered to be as swift as some of their counterparts, even at the cost of numerical effectiveness.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Xalruj.6812 said:

I imagine this has been brought up before, but I think it bears repeating: with their time to accelerate and speed of animation, the Bull's Charge and Rush abilities for Warrior do not feel nearly as impactful/good as other gap closers.  I just watched some gameplay of the Vindicator specialization from the upcoming expansion, and one of the things that struck me was how quick Phantom's Rush was to both activate, reach the target, and end its animation in a very fluid way.  Contrast that with Bull's Charge, which has a slight delay before it actually gets moving (which feels terrible), and Rush, which I swear acts as a stealth RP mechanic because you feel the same strain as your character as they try and hoof it to the target with a plodding "charge".

It would be magnificent if these abilities were altered to be as swift as some of their counterparts, even at the cost of numerical effectiveness.

It's really just more powercreep from new classes. Nothing new. Unfortunately, there's really only two things that can be done. Powercreep warrior, itself by buffing that Bull's Charge or nerf the new specs and have people complain. I would disagree on the delay though, the delay really comes in from the charge itself: in between the points where the Bull's Charge begins and the point where it ends, not so much from the preactivation.

If there were a reduction in power in some way (reduced damage, stun duration, distance) to the abilities in order to balance out streamlining and quickening their animations, I'm all for it.  Right now they just don't feel good to use.

To clarify Bull's Charge clumsy nature: when the ability is activated, the character moves forward a tiny distance, stutters nearly to a stop, THEN finally accelerates to the speed of the ability.  Bull's Charge would feel incredibly more responsive and awesome if this weird stutter were removed, and the character instantly entered the charging animation at full speed once the key for it was pressed.

Rush is in a similar, if slightly different, sinking boat.  There's a small delay between when the key binding is pressed, and when the character actually begins moving forward.  Like my suggestion with Bull's Charge, Rush would feel much better if the character instantly entered the charge animation at full speed when the button was pressed.  I'd also advocate for an increased speed similar to Bull's Charge, but I could also see that being too much, particularly with the distance Rush can travel (though I'd gladly trade some of that distance for speed.)

Main point being, the tiny delay between activation and reaching full speed for both abilities greatly saps both of their impacts from a "fun" perspective.

• Confused 2

Rush I can agree with, I don’t think Bulls is that bad (other than ending the animation randomly too far away from the target). Rush has good uses, but speeding it up just a bit would help with overall mobility. 
I’ve often tried to think about how rush could be reworked, given its nonsensical targeting, slow movement speed, animation lock, etc. but never came to a satisfactory answer. If anyone has ideas I’d love to read them 🙂 

33 minutes ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Rush I can agree with, I don’t think Bulls is that bad (other than ending the animation randomly too far away from the target). Rush has good uses, but speeding it up just a bit would help with overall mobility. 
I’ve often tried to think about how rush could be reworked, given its nonsensical targeting, slow movement speed, animation lock, etc. but never came to a satisfactory answer. If anyone has ideas I’d love to read them 🙂 

Use the new vindicator version of rush instead.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Xalruj.6812 said:

Vindicator's Phantom's Rush is a great template for the kind of burst speed I'm looking for in the Warrior charge abilities.  Goes from zero to zoom immediately, and closes the gap to the target wickedly fast.

It also just so happens to have all the pathing issues that plague Rush fixed, which the devs even joked about in the live stream.

• Like 4

Be careful 1/2 less casting time on Warrior skills make them 0verp0w3red, I have a reaction time of a turtle in 2021.

Jokes aside, a lot of Warrior stuff needs casting time reduction (skull crack/eviscerate/hammer skills), and it would still be hard if they got 1/2 of a casting time on those tbh. The simple reason being, it just isn't instant cast fear/block spam/evade spamming while doing instant cast damage.

Edited by BlackTruth.6813
  • Like 2