Mechanist Feedback Thread

Fire Attunement.9835

Got to try out the mechanist. The mech is suprisingly powerful and tough, could facetank the difficult champion at Lady Glaives Chapel in the straits of desolation. And pretty strong attacks too.

The signets is looking quite good.  It definitely looks like a much simpler rotation and not needing to play the piano.

I was pleased to see that you could use your heal spell to heal both you and the mech, adding to its facetanking value.

The mace seemed ok, kind of borrowed a lot from the revenant main hand.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

First very noteworthy issue : The name of the golem is given the same limitations as typical player characters when it shouldn't be the case : They cannot incorporate numbers, even if the base name of the golem is Jade Mech C-J1. If one attempted to replace that with C-J2, they couldn't as we are not allowed to use numbers, which is nonsensical for a Mech. 

Similarly, we cannot use caps liberally for the Mech's name, even if it was lore established that constructs of a mechanical nature such as Golems recurrently make use of acronyms and have names like T.H.I.N.G commonplace. I'm fine if we cant use punctation, but not being able to write part of the name in caps seems again, nonsensical.

Also yes please, do something about the color of the mech being forced to green. It's fine for the attacks to be green, but the entire thing makes it look really weird. It strongly limits the options players have when they care about their appearance.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Power Wrench trait in the Tools line does not synergize with the mech skills, it thus has a vastly diminished utility on a Mechanist setup.

Edit : As was mentionned to me earlier, That is wrong. Power Wrench affect the Tool Kit -skill-. Disregard

Edited by Naxos.2503
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Naxos.2503 said:

Power Wrench trait in the Tools line does not synergize with the mech skills, it thus has a vastly diminished utility on a Mechanist setup.

It was shown as working in the stream last Friday right before showing Static Discharge. Someone mentioned Mechanized Deployment not working in the bug thread thought.

1 minute ago, azarhal.3086 said:

It was shown as working in the stream last Friday right before showing Static Discharge. Someone mentioned Mechanized Deployment not working in the bug thread thought.

It seems something changed in between, as traiting Power Wrench still leave the Mech's skills cooldown unchanged

• Sad 1

I don't know how they'd manage customisation, but yes the extremely bright green wasn't the best choice to suit everyone. I know there are lore reasons, but I guess it didn't have to be 50% green. Having said that initial impressions of the mech are it's fun, but with only 3 mace skills, 3 mech skills, the gameplay might get samey fast.

But minion masters will probably like it.

• Like 2

So, I must provide feedback about this before anything else since the following has been something I wanted to do with the mech ever since the reveal.

While the default name of the mech has numbers and consecutive capital letters in it, we are unable to rename it with any numbers or consecutive capital letters. This is a mechanical construct, not a living creature or person, so I think we should have the freedom of naming it like engineers. So, my dream of having a Scruffy 3.0 or Scruffy Mk III and showing it off to Taimi has been ruined.

The closest we could do is "Scruffy Mklll (Triple L)" now...

• Like 5

Immediate things I noticed when trying it out in PvP:

1. the skill Core Reactor Shot sucks as a result of the design decision of making any cc skill do no damage. Its a 1.25 channel for a mediocre knockback skill. Which would be ok if you could just switch out which leads me to the next issue:

2. The traits are too tied to stats in the second row. If I want to have a power mech, I *have* to get Core Reactor Shot because its tied to 50% inheritance of the power skill. The stat inheritance should be moved to a minor trait, or possibly be made into a selection on a pet panel equivalent for the mech.

3. The Grandmaster power trait is a bit confused. Aerial Support cant critically strike which isnt mentioned in the description, its damage is low, and Sky Circus does a lot less damage than Mortar Shot. However, the signet aspect of it is quite powerful, which almost makes me think it would've been more fitting on the middle grandmaster in exchange for aerial support and Sky circus being buffed.

4. When the mech is down, you are missing a traitline essentially. This has been noted before, but I'll reiterate it. The master traits should have the stat inheritance replaced with benefits to the engineer specifically.

5. No toolbelts when mech is recalled. This cripples the classes performance without the mech doubly so. I would suggesting moving the mech summoning to F5, and enabling toolbelts 1-4 when the mech is not currently active. 

6. The mechs passive damage might be a bit high compared to its active damage. Its autos are hitting for easily 2.5k a piece, but the spark revolver skill barely does twice that damage in more time than just autoing twice. Making it a DPS loss. I would suggest slightly lowering the former to buff up the latter. Also in particular the cooldowns of the mech skills are a bit high, especially Spark Revolver, I would suggest lowering them a smidge.

Overall, fun concept, but the execution is currently lacking and it needs a good deal of changes.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, babak.3654 said:

I don't know how they'd manage customisation, but yes the extremely bright green wasn't the best choice to suit everyone. I know there are lore reasons, but I guess it didn't have to be 50% green. Having said that initial impressions of the mech are it's fun, but with only 3 mace skills, 3 mech skills, the gameplay might get samey fast.

But minion masters will probably like it.

Im thinking the color choice is because its powered by jade tech, it makes sense. What would be cool would be a stealth on the golem, you could roam and no one see the golem then ...surprise! 

Just gonna suggest this here like I did when testing Untamed; swap F-skill commands for the mech with ctrl+1-8 and add the missing things like Attack my Target, come to me, and toggle defend/passive mode. 

Controlling the mech is just as bad as controlling the new untamed pet. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Mace 2 and 3 both could be explosions since you can also see little explosions when using them.

Mace 2 could get some conditions like bleeding and mace 3 could also get another or 1-2 additional burn stacks.

Atm I just dont see any reason to use mace instead of pistol. Or to using macexpistol instead of rifle.

Elite signet could deal out more burning duration and a reduced cooldown from its current 90 sec to 75 sec.
I want to at least use it over mortar kit.
And atm the condi signet is worse than bomb and grenade kit so you will still use 3 kits instead of 2 kits and 1 signet.

The best condi build maybe atm includes bomb kit, grenade kit, flamethrower and mortar kit.

The problem with the elite skill signet atm is, that you cant really reduce its cooldown to 20-40 seconds because you could spam your mech out.
Solving this problem would be reducing the cooldown of mech summon to 20-25 seconds. So fully letting away the 10-90 sec part.
Then you can reduce the elite skill signet cooldown from 90 to 20-40 seconds and giving it a better burn duration.

This will solve the "Mechanist is useless without the mech" problem and also the problem of using mortar kit over elite signet.

A nice thing imo would also be to give some signets better active effects:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shift_Signet could also remove 1-2 condis from you and your mech. Reduced cooldown from 30 to 25 sec in PvE.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Force_Signet needs more power damage and maybe a reduced recharge from 30 to 25 in PvE to make it function better with the power traitline of mechanist which includes to keep the passive effects of signets even after using the active effect.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superconducting_Signet does not need a reduced cooldown from 30 to 25 sec but to make a bit build variety instead of 1/1/1, 2/2/2 and 3/3/3 it could maybe also get the reduced cooldown and a better active effect to make 1/1/3 maybe also work. This especially helps to replace bomb or grenade kit. The better active effect could include bleeding stack per pulse, but just with a duration of 2.5-3 seconds.
The healing signet is fine how it is.
Barrier signet is also fine how it is. Its especially a good choice for support builds. But it could also get a reduced cooldown from 30 to 25 seconds.
The problem with the elite skill signet I said above already.

Well that was my feedback to mace and the signets.
Hope some may agree with me.

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Like 6

Context: I'm an engineer main. I really don't play any other professions much.

First impressions:

The Good

The Mechanist is fun and the mech itself feels like a powerful addition. 

The signets are good and feel useful, especially since they give some things that we didn't have before like shadowstep.

Mace is okay, and it's nice to have access to more confusion and alacrity through barrier. 

The visuals on everything are pretty great.

The Bad

Losing toolbelt skills feels awful. It makes the spec feel very railroaded. It's such a huge trade off. I feel like I'd gladly give up control of the mech's abilities in order to have my toolbelt back.

Suggestions:

Make F5 call the mech and use a random ability if pressed when it's out, and give me back F1-F4. 

Or add a signet kit that controls the mech when active, or lets the mech do random abilities when passive, and give back F1-F4. 

Mace feels kinda lackluster. Giving the end of the chain a knockback or making some of it a ranged attack might help. 

While the mech is beautiful, it's also just that one exact color scheme. Mech dying would be a very welcome thing so it doesn't clash with my red/black looks and severely tank my fashion wars prowess. 

Underwater with the mech is really bad. The spec feels very weak underwater. Solving the toolbelt issue would help with this, but why can't the mech work underwater? The jade dragon is the sea dragon? Shouldn't the power of jade be water resistant enough to function? 

The Bugly

Seems that the mech loses its name whenever it is dismissed.

Tl;DR: We need toolbelt F1-F4 back, at any cost, to make this spec feel enjoyable.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, Naxos.2503 said:

It seems something changed in between, as traiting Power Wrench still leave the Mech's skills cooldown unchanged

I think you're mixing up the tool kit with the tool belt.

Power wrench lowers the CD of the tool kit skills, so Box of Nails, Pry Bar, Gear Shield and Magnet etc.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tool_Kit

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tool_belt

That said, it would be a nice bit of flavour (though perhaps not really very useful) if Thwack could repair mechs as well as turrets.

• Like 8

Hi! So this elite can become difficult to play if the mech does keep dying but that third tier trait for when its gone gave me an idea that when the mech is "Away" this can be another option for style of play. Almost like there are a few different types of mechanists:

- One who uses mechs and one who uses that integrated jade technology in themselves (almost like cyborgs).

When the mech is away we still  can do its f1-3 skill from ourselves since we aren't getting a double mace. The offhands skills just visually aren't very compatible with this elite. The shield is more than the pistol but that bubble animation is off-putting. I do love that we can name it but if we can't customize its appearance or dye anything how about each trait slot changes the appearance slightly since each slot is a different skill?

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Like 4

Before the spec came out It was clear that the trade-offs for this spec were very harsh. 

You dedicate one traitline entirely to the mech, meaning whithout it you are essentially playing with 2 traitlines

The mech cooldown is 100 seconds and core engi is already quite weak compared to other core specs, meaning you are 2/3 of a weak core class for 100 seconds if mech dies.

You don't have toolbelt skills, only further weakening the core class when mech isn't around, meaning you are effectively 50% of a core engi without your mech. For a spec balanced around the mech not being permenant, this weakness is especially harsh. 

The spec was almost certainly doomed to fail unless the mech was powerful enough to compensate for the monsterous trade-offs. 

And it looks like that is the case. The mech is extremely powerful. 

This is a good thing, since it keeps the spec afloat, but there will almost certainly be complaints later that the mech is too good, and it will be nerfed. 

When that time comes, consider lessening the trade-off as well, because right now the strong mech is the reason the class is good competetive. (Seriously, this thing hurts)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

In other news, you can maintain 100% alacrity uptime with 0% boon duration so long as you have a target to hit. This requies you to just sit there and mace auto though which isn't realistic, but I found that interesting. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Jijimuge.4675 said:

I think you're mixing up the tool kit with the tool belt.

Power wrench lowers the CD of the tool kit skills, so Box of Nails, Pry Bar, Gear Shield and Magnet etc.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tool_Kit

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tool_belt

That said, it would be a nice bit of flavour (though perhaps not really very useful) if Thwack could repair mechs as well as turrets.

Oh thank you, I keep doing that, you're correct.

I agree on the wrench repairing the mech, 

The med kit does a good job at keeping it in the fight, but the lack of player healing on it makes it a very daunting proposition.

As others have mentionned, the lack of a toolbelt and the 100s Cooldown on death is Exceptionally punishing, especially considering that we still cant switch weapons, this would have been an ideal time to reintroduce it. 

Edited by Naxos.2503
  • Like 3

This is such a bug fest 😄 the mech just appears out of nowhere, without me summoning it. One of the traits gives permanent might stacks. De-summoning is cancelled by any other ability. The mech just attacks whatever there is, I can't even call it to myself. 

Toolbelt removal is way too much, I lose half of my potential stun breaks and I get no stability except Elixir U or traited Flamethrower.

The mace is nice. 

I hope this is gyros 2.0 and the mechanic gets reworked very hard.

Edited by Samug.6512
  • Like 2