Mechanist Feedback Thread

Fire Attunement.9835

On 3/14/2022 at 6:16 AM, Vagrant.7206 said:

Core engineer, Scrapper, and now the Mechanist have all had to put up with bad AI (Turrets, gyros pre-rework, and now mech). They keep trying this over and over, and it keeps failing spectacularly. 

The only engineer spec that didn't have to deal with AI to begin with was Holosmith. Now that scrapper has also joined the field, it's seeing some usefulness.

Same, i play engineer since beta and im full of hate towards anet for giving us AI again. Even after turrets, gyros, spirits, spirit weapons. It is totally useless in WvW what i play most. And even got nerfed.

• Like 2

I've been playing with the spec a bit and from what I've seen it seems that traits akin to the sky circus passive could be the way to go for the spec to help with AI issues in WvW/PVP situations at least. There's not much that can be done about AI pathing sadly but the sky circus passive makes it so that when you deactivate your mech it bombards the area with missiles every so often until you drop mech again. Maybe more passives to trait into like that could be useful, and to really complete it make the toolbelt reappear when mech is not active but your signets become purely passive and their actives become toolbelt skills when they're not there. 

No doubt there would have to be more tweaking to make it so that players aren't encouraged to have their mech stowed away all the time but I think focusing more on the take off/crashdown element will be much better than trying to make the mech super strong to compensate for the AI element of it. Other than that in PVE at least I've been having a grand old time with it!

Edited by Rosiep.9128
Mentioning my experiences in PVE

Superconducting Signet needs to have its radius increased slightly, or melee range of the mech reduced slightly. As it is now, it's possible that the mech does melee damage, but the signet AoE still isn't hitting the target. Currently to make sure it always hits, I have to either use F1 or shift signet to make sure it's close enough to the target.

• Like 3

You have an opportunity here to really get buck-wild with mech customization options, and you need to take it, ANET.  People have already mentioned different colors/dyes, but please give us different bot body styles.  It would be great if there were much smaller body options, perhaps that could float and not take up so much space all the time.   Let us use them as mounts (with functionality based on the mounts that are unlocked).  Give us bot emotes (watch tv, coffee maker, stuff like that).

Bots should also be able to help rez their gibbed engineers.  Don't let rangers have the monopoly on that sweet sweet QoL honey.  Those pansies wouldn't be anything without engineers and they know it.  Scooping pet turds is the past.  Mechs are the future.  Take us there, ANET.

• Confused 2

Support mech is gread in fractals!

Except underwater. Where the hole trait line and the Mecha-skill is useless in a support build.

And of all skills, only the barrier signet remains with some use, but offers no healing of buffs.

Why can't the golem just swim? Same mechanics, all mech-skills are target-based anyway and the KI for underwater pets works for hunters.

Or at least make the mechanist count as mech with F1-F3 available. The decoupling from the golem HP-bar has the trade off of the missing golem HP-bar to draw aggro and act as a shield.

• Sad 2

so u make mechanist the ranger like class. but rangers have way more powers and options esp in pvp. cose engi have only 1 set of weapons and also sacrafice 5 utility belt skills. Thats a huge range between these 2 classes even if mech can provide support etc. Rangers also have 2 pets and can swap them and amount of skills is equal. So whats the point of huge utility belt trade off if mecha is weaker ranger version with 1 pet and 1 wep set? In that case always need to choose u are beating boi or defensless. Class feels very disapointing in pvp. And mech fighter trait, why it force me to play with mace to get full potential from this spec? there is no specs that forces u to play with exact weapon for spec. why i cant play with rifle and cant get full benefits?

btw Mechanized Deployment from tools spec doesnt affect the mech commands cd's if u assume it as toolbelt(and static discharge work with them so that means "yes").

Edited by SexFuhrer.7925
  • Like 1

First thank you for the Mechanist build. Great work. 

As many others have noted it would be nice to dye the bot or better have skins. One of the things Guild Wars has always had a strong role in is everyone in the game looks "unique". Having 20 mechanists running around with their bots out just looks goofy. Some level of customization would help with this immensely. Just like skins on boats, mounts, etc would be good and I guarantee people will pay for them. Even if we had a mechanism like hunters finding different pets someway to "discover" other bots even if only cosmetic would be very cool.

Either way, thanks for the profession. Loving it.

• Like 1

I find the spec barely playable technically.

Can't queue mech skills so half the time in combat i spend looking at those 3 skills to see if they are being executed. Secondly, you can interrupt the elite skill with mace3. I don't know if that's intended. If it is, i wish it wasn't.

Subjectively on the spec's theme, i find the mech to be more of a heap of grean magic stones rather than a mech. Shooting green glowing balls with half the skills doesn't play well into the engineer fantasy in my opinion.

The trait line itself is artificial, there is barely any real joice: want alac - go middle, want dmg - go bottom, want condi - got top (except the last one, grandmaster bottom is better, so whats the use for the top grandmaster one if not a condi build?).

The mech ai is flawed. Sometimes when spamming Rolling smash (condi f1) the mech doesn't jump untill it gets right up to the enemy's face.

What's disheartening is that the spec is pulls great numbers right now, so it's not justified to complain.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Feedback: Never liked the idea of Mechanist for competitive game modes. First having a golem AI as a pet, and second with mace as a weapon which I did not like at first but seems ok. If I wanted to play AI pets I'd be a Ranger main. They should rework the golem to be more like current gyros: no more AI, cast from the character model, and all the F skills on the toolbelt. I'd be happier about it that way, but for now I probably will only play it in PvE for the alacrity support in open world or fractals/raids, but even then it will not be my first choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

Hi!

I love playing mechanist and am so glad that this class exists now, with traits customizing behavior of the mech :)

One thing that bothers me and seems to be a problem to other people (based on reddit posts/comments), the F4 skill seems to be prone to be misclicked and causes mech to disappear and go on cooldown in the worst moments. As others pointed out, other tool kit skills of engineers have active skills on F4 and it's easy to click it on mechanists out of muscle memory.

I propose an option to cancel calling off the mech by clicking F4 again OR, which would be even better, moving that skill to F5, which will minimize the chance of accidental usage. Call or recall skill isn't a frequently used skill (maybe when your mech dies a lot), so really shouldn't be so close to other active skills. 

Thank you!

PS: We can rebind F5 to something else, of course, but keybinds are a global setting and will change for all characters and specs and the problem seems to be much smaller.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

k i see someone felt having to be forced to take shift signet is wierd design but listen to this mesmer has had to take 2 signet for condi damage for the past 7 years [ i have  only played for  7 years so i don't know if that's the case before HoT] signet of midnight and signet of domination i have been a mesmer main until eod  came out now i consider mechanist my main after 3 months of deciding, being forced into a signet is not an issue to me. boring yes but it is what it is. i am having so much fun on mechanist right now. best elite spec of eod if you ask me i just wish mace 3 did confusion instead of burning but that's personal preference its my fave condition.

One thing I would really like to see is the mech being made water proof.

Mechanist is the only spec in the game that turns totally useless when placed underwater. Out of ALL the traits in the Spec there are only two that works underwater, Mech Frame: Channeling Conduits and Mech Core: J-Drive, and the benefit of either is minimal  at best. The frame only works if you've Barrier Signet, and then only for the duration of that. The Core gives a few more impacts at random and increases the Signets you can use underwater by a whole 2%-point. Meanwhile, the entire spec is gutted hard to the point where it's near useless as anything.

The easy counter to that is that "underwater combat is such a small part of the game." To that I say that it still happens. If you do Fractals Underwater Ruins is still in the rotation. In EoD killing the Leviathan is an underwater event that you're useless at.

At some point in the future ANet will hopefully sort out underwater combat and improve the experience, and then Mechanists will still be left out unless the mech is water-proofed.

Specter loses access to the Scepter skills, however, still builds up resources to go into shadow form and can do so under water. The Virtuoso while lacking the dagger main-hand can still do things that conjures blades as well as use those blades underwater.

The Mechanist can only go, "curses, my only weakness, WATER!" in reaction.

I hate Underwater Ruins with a passion as I know that I'll be utterly  and totally useless in that Fractal. A core Engineer is a better option.

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

One thing I would really like to see is the mech being made water proof.

Mechanist is the only spec in the game that turns totally useless when placed underwater. Out of ALL the traits in the Spec there are only two that works underwater, Mech Frame: Channeling Conduits and Mech Core: J-Drive, and the benefit of either is minimal  at best. The frame only works if you've Barrier Signet, and then only for the duration of that. The Core gives a few more impacts at random and increases the Signets you can use underwater by a whole 2%-point. Meanwhile, the entire spec is gutted hard to the point where it's near useless as anything.

The easy counter to that is that "underwater combat is such a small part of the game." To that I say taht it still happens. If you do Fractals Underwater Ruins is still in the rotation. In EoD killing the Leviathan is an underwater event that you're useless at.

At some point in the future ANet will hopefuilly sort out underwater combat and improve the experience, and then Mechanists will still be left out unless the mech is water-proofed.

Specter loses access to the Scepter skills, however, still builds up resouirces to go into shadow form and can do so under water. The Virtuoso while lacking the dagger main-hand can still do things that conjures blades as well as use those blade under water.

The Mechanist can only go, "curses, my only weakness, WATER!" in reaction.

I hate Underwater Ruins with a passion as I know that I'll be utterly  and totally useless in that Fractal. A core Engineer is a better option.

This.

I don"t event get the putative explanation: no flamethrower underwater is 100% logical, but not jade mecha underwater feels cheap for an engineer 😅 I really hope Anet will come up with something viable. Underwater combat is part of the game experience whatsoever.

On 4/14/2022 at 1:46 PM, ReleaseThePanic.8536 said:

I find the spec barely playable technically.

Can't queue mech skills so half the time in combat i spend looking at those 3 skills to see if they are being executed. Secondly, you can interrupt the elite skill with mace3. I don't know if that's intended. If it is, i wish it wasn't.

Subjectively on the spec's theme, i find the mech to be more of a heap of grean magic stones rather than a mech. Shooting green glowing balls with half the skills doesn't play well into the engineer fantasy in my opinion.

The trait line itself is artificial, there is barely any real joice: want alac - go middle, want dmg - go bottom, want condi - got top (except the last one, grandmaster bottom is better, so whats the use for the top grandmaster one if not a condi build?).

The mech ai is flawed. Sometimes when spamming Rolling smash (condi f1) the mech doesn't jump untill it gets right up to the enemy's face.

What's disheartening is that the spec is pulls great numbers right now, so it's not justified to complain.

I really love you for the way you condensed these global issues. In specializations now, the "choice" is basically to reinforce what armor stats you chose. In essence, instead of choosing further divergent paths, you just choose power, condi, or support stats - again. People that only care about numbers somehow have the loudest voice though, so anyone who cares for diverse engineering fantasy or steampunk roleplay or the sort of 'jack of all trades, master of none' promise, they are lost. As lost as turrets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit saddened that the Jade Golem didn't receive the same type of pet-related content akin to the variety of pets that a Ranger could tame in the open world. It would've been great if there were multiple quest npcs across the world (or just randomly stumbling upon them seeing as juvenile pets don't get that special treatment) that would reward you a different piece of golem part to customize your golem with. Instead of tying Mechanist traits to the golem's actions (so that Mechanist traits aren't incredibly overtuned; looking at you, J-Drive), we can have a Golem customization UI akin to Ranger pets UI; allowing you to change mechanical parts (changing the arms for it to do power or condi, etc just like how rangers can opt for a power or condi based pet, could even change the legs and I'm just pulling ideas from Armored Core at this point) or optional cosmetic parts (dyeable possibly). Not only will every Engi get to customize their golem to their liking, you'll be able to free up trait slots for other purposes.

...or you can just forget about the whole thing I said and just give us a dye slot in the golem UI. Thx.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Jade Bot should have more impact on underwater fights. For now it's either core 65 level engineer with some occasional pew-pew (which looks really cool, but impact is meh), or mechanist without any synergy from his bot. 

Jade bot already moving with propulsion engines, doesn't see any issues to either transform bot into cargo bots from harbors (jellyfish looking ones) or simply present bot as it underwater. 

Such transition is done for necromancer flesh golem (into risen shark), and ranger has set of aquatic or amphibious pets to help them under water. 

Do not lacks too much! 🙂

But sometimes is just... Blocked! Stucked! Stalled! Annoying!

1. Recall Mech and Crash Down:
    • Their too long animations must be fixed. They are blocking the gameplay, making the experience terrible.
    • Suggestions:
    1. The time should not be longer than 1 second for the rebot be fully recalled (on Recall Mech) or ready to fight (on Crash Down).
    2. Recall Mech (or Dismiss for repairs due death) should make the robot unavailable to active signet skills.
    3. Overclock Signet should enter on 1 second cooldown until the Recall Mech (or Dismiss for repairs due death) animations ends.
    4. The Crash Down cooldown just blocks the gameplay, it should not be longer than 10 seconds. The player should be free to call/dismiss his robot at any time under penalty of get his robot killed faster if summoned with low health.
  2. Heal:
    • The robot should also inherits a percentage of the Mechanist's incoming heal. With the current design the robot can not be healed by Elixir, Med Kit or Gadget.
  3. Boons:
    • The robot should also inherits a percentage of the Mechanist's incoming boon. With the current design the Mechanist is forced to equip Shift Signet to grant some important boon to the robot.
  4. Underwater Content:
    • Yes! The Mechanist must have some underwater version of his robot.
  5. Mace flow must be improved.
  6. Force Signet must be improved.
  7. Some traits should be like "Exigency Protocols" that grants benefit to both the Mechanist and his robot.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Anet,

so... mechanist is the new "BEAST MASTER"  because of that HUGE mech DMG.. OK, why not. BUT... a mechanist who is not able to change the way his/her mech looks?! Asura is dealing with that tech for ages, they even have their own "IRONMAN" suits yet somehow Canthan tech is so much better and different?

let us have mech customization so it can at least fit some cultural skins (maybe not for all races... but Char, Asura mech skins are perfectly reasonable)

COME ON ANET, ZOU CAN DO IT!

On 6/11/2022 at 12:30 PM, miles.5961 said:

I'm a bit saddened that the Jade Golem didn't receive the same type of pet-related content akin to the variety of pets that a Ranger could tame in the open world. It would've been great if there were multiple quest npcs across the world (or just randomly stumbling upon them seeing as juvenile pets don't get that special treatment) that would reward you a different piece of golem part to customize your golem with. Instead of tying Mechanist traits to the golem's actions (so that Mechanist traits aren't incredibly overtuned; looking at you, J-Drive), we can have a Golem customization UI akin to Ranger pets UI; allowing you to change mechanical parts (changing the arms for it to do power or condi, etc just like how rangers can opt for a power or condi based pet, could even change the legs and I'm just pulling ideas from Armored Core at this point) or optional cosmetic parts (dyeable possibly). Not only will every Engi get to customize their golem to their liking, you'll be able to free up trait slots for other purposes.

...or you can just forget about the whole thing I said and just give us a dye slot in the golem UI. Thx.

exactly, we need golem customization

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 4:13 AM, Freezem.9270 said:

Hello Anet,

so... mechanist is the new "BEAST MASTER"  because of that HUGE mech DMG.. OK, why not. BUT... a mechanist who is not able to change the way his/her mech looks?! Asura is dealing with that tech for ages, they even have their own "IRONMAN" suits yet somehow Canthan tech is so much better and different?

let us have mech customization so it can at least fit some cultural skins (maybe not for all races... but Char, Asura mech skins are perfectly reasonable)

COME ON ANET, ZOU CAN DO IT!

No. 

Just no. 

You guys are spoiled absolutely rotten with 3 of the most egregiously overtuned specs in the game atm and an incredibly flashy mech so if rangers cant customize their pets and warriors their banners and necros their minions you do not get to have special treatment to be the only class in the game that can customize their little AI follower.

Here's my solution, all mechs are automatically desummoned outside of combat and they only appear to you in combat. There solved you dont have to worry about showing off your mech to anyone else /s

Edited by Atticus.7194
Trying to be less ranty
  • Confused 2