Untamed Feedback Thread

Fire Attunement.9835

@Anet devs,

All this is pve related.
Thanks a lot for killing Ranger. I don't see anybody in open world running unplayed(yes YOU named it wrong, not me).
It has absolutely nothing to do in any strike, raid, fractal what so ever. no damage, no support.
The skin transformation is like you were rolling in a shitpile of puke. wtf who was drunk when creating this puke a like skin?

meanwhile you have created multiple classes that are fingerlikking good.
A support mechanist hitting 24K dps while providing boons...
Specter, Harbinger, Virtuoso (are ones i got myself into a bit) doing a ton of damage output, way more than any soulbeast build.
The hybrid comes about 37K (which comes with a different rotation every weaponswap if you want to get max out of it).
Unplayed can not even reach 30K (and don't even mention the APM, smashing buttons all over the place gonna give me artritis after 1 week of rotation)

Look at this whole thread, it is one big bucket of tears from former ranger main.
The only reason why I log on to my ranger, is bc i do all my daily's with it.
Then we leave unplayed for what it was.

After nerfing us down with sic'm 40->25% and same time OWP 60->80sec cooldown you already nerfed us down like we are big big Kittens.
And now this? what did ranger ever do to any of you?

Who at anet dev team ever playes ranger? My guess? NOBODY.
Ya'll rather play Guardian, and some obviously switched to engi. Ain't that hard to figure out.

Goodbye my fellow rangers, find yourself a decent class to play.

Edited by Patsoor.6425
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Patsoor.6425 said:

@Anet devs,

All this is pve related.
Thanks a lot for killing Ranger. I don't see anybody in open world running unplayed(yes YOU named it wrong, not me).
It has absolutely nothing to do in any strike, raid, fractal what so ever. no damage, no support.
The skin transformation is like you were rolling in a shitpile of puke. wtf who was drunk when creating this puke a like skin?

meanwhile you have created multiple classes that are fingerlikking good.
A support mechanist hitting 24K dps while providing boons...
Specter, Harbinger, Virtuoso (are ones i got myself into a bit) doing a ton of damage output, way more than any soulbeast build.
The hybrid comes about 37K (which comes with a different rotation every weaponswap if you want to get max out of it).
Unplayed can not even reach 30K (and don't even mention the APM, smashing buttons all over the place gonna give me artritis after 1 week of rotation)

Look at this whole thread, it is one big bucket of tears from former ranger main.
The only reason why I log on to my ranger, is bc i do all my daily's with it.
Then we leave unplayed for what it was.

After nerfing us down with sic'm 40->25% and same time OWP 60->80sec cooldown you already nerfed us down like we are big big Kittens.
And now this? what did ranger ever do to any of you?

Who at anet dev team ever playes ranger? My guess? NOBODY.
Ya'll rather play Guardian, and some obviously switched to engi. Ain't that hard to figure out.

Goodbye my fellow rangers, find yourself a decent class to play.

Ehhh unfortunately everything you write is the sad truth. my friends are happy because they do 40 k dps and I am not able to access this content. after the recent changes, even a druid ceases to matter. no longer gives might for 10 people. heal mechanist has aegis stabilty barriers powerful heal and makes space dps. my spirits? - they die in a moment.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2022 at 7:09 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

I know a trick how to make Untamed a viable spec that does decent damage in PvE open world as well as endgame content:

1. Open your Build Panel
  2. In the third specialization row, click on the spec's icon
  3. Select the upper left option
  4. Problem solved

This works for both, Power and Condition based variants. 👍

The issue with saying that- it does not make untamed do enough damage to be in a competitive DPS position. Soulbeast beats it out in DPS and in utility, as soulbeast both has room in both power and condi kits to bring a spare spirit and has access to stance sharing, bringing a unique effect to the table, most notably one wolf pack.

The DPS on untamed is TERRIBLY LOW, meeting the expectations of a high end boon DPS while not providing any form of boons to a subgroup or party, let alone managing to keep what few boons it can generate (quick or stab on unleash, maybe if you kit it with nature magic (which is a DPS loss, cutting into the already miserable damage) the extra bit of might, fury, protection, vigor, or regen that spirits give on activation, and warhorn 5).

There's nothing unique about untamed beyond having access to F1 and F3 pet skills. There's no reason to take it over druid (who doesn't care about DPS, can take nature magic, and can fit 5 spirits in because of how egregious most glyphs are in most scenarios), no reason to take it over soulbeast (who has better DPS, more flexibility in their kit, and a unqiue effect or two to share), and no reason to take it over other professions.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

The issue with saying that- it does not make untamed do enough damage to be in a competitive DPS position. Soulbeast beats it out in DPS and in utility, as soulbeast both has room in both power and condi kits to bring a spare spirit and has access to stance sharing, bringing a unique effect to the table, most notably one wolf pack.

The DPS on untamed is TERRIBLY LOW, meeting the expectations of a high end boon DPS while not providing any form of boons to a subgroup or party, let alone managing to keep what few boons it can generate (quick or stab on unleash, maybe if you kit it with nature magic (which is a DPS loss, cutting into the already miserable damage) the extra bit of might, fury, protection, vigor, or regen that spirits give on activation, and warhorn 5).

There's nothing unique about untamed beyond having access to F1 and F3 pet skills. There's no reason to take it over druid (who doesn't care about DPS, can take nature magic, and can fit 5 spirits in because of how egregious most glyphs are in most scenarios), no reason to take it over soulbeast (who has better DPS, more flexibility in their kit, and a unqiue effect or two to share), and no reason to take it over other professions.

I think you completely missed the joke here. My suggested solution was to switch to Soulbeast instead. :classic_rolleyes:

Sad when one has to explain a joke...

An additional link in my previous post for the slow-brains: 😁

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Basic things that should have been given for a ''bruiser front-line wvw'' (lol) :

- Unleashed mode on all weapon skills.

- Movement speed.

- All strikes dmg % also give condition damage.

- F1F2F3 coefficients are terrible in PvP and WvW.

- F1F2F3 should use the player stats, not the pet stats. 

- Disables from pets synergy on Untamed traits. 

- Other options to generate Ambushes.

- Pet defense buff. 

I don't even know why all those things weren't on Untamed from the start. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The design of the untamed seemingly favors melee, leaning into a bruiser melee playstyle, this can be shown through the design of the unleashed ambush abilities, many focusing on the interaction between exploding spores and the creation of spores. The kit does offer a rather large amount of barrier, more in regards to availability rather than numerically large. There are a few points however that seem inconsistent with the seemingly intended design.

·         The playstyle seems to try to make the player want to make the absolute most out of their pet(s), as well as, with the nerf to restorative strikes, an emphasis on CC. Meanwhile [Fervent Force]; one of your end traits that gives you cooldown reduction when disabling a foe, doesn’t apply towards CC that is applied from your pet, which seems a bit inconsistent with the theme of the spec.  If this trait appropriately takes into account your own CC as well as your pet, either both giving player cooldown reduction or appropriate cooldown reduction for pet skills to pet CC and player cooldown to player CC, would greatly improve the quality of the spec in the “bruiser dps” style that seems to be the intention.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I think you completely missed the joke here. My suggested solution was to switch to Soulbeast instead. :classic_rolleyes:

Sad when one has to explain a joke...

An additional link in my previous post for the slow-brains: 😁

The joke was very poorly executed.

Saying just 'pick the top left option' after saying 'click the specialization's icon' implies you're already picking untamed. Bad joke on a thread that shouldn't really be filled with incoherent jokes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As  untamed main lately i like the class it just needs more damage for end game content and maybe a autocast pet skills function be nice.  Aside from i have been enjoying the new class given i hate Soul Beast and as a marauder build my build wouldnt work on a druid. Its been far stronger damage wise then my core ranger build so i am liking it. I use longbow still mainly and use the hammer only if i have to get up close.

Edited by Kaenaydar.5631
  • Thanks 1

Untamed offers boon rip, blocking projectiles and some decent modifiers through "vow of the untamed" which should always give this spec a spot in pvp. Exposing the core pet abilities while the player is unleashed also feels like it's aimed mostly at pvp, where timing your pet's abilities with your own cc and burst can be really strong.

In pve though untamed currently lacks a unique identity and niche that isn't better filled by some other class or spec. After playing around with other weapons and builds, I feel like it's pretty clear that the actual untamed experience is tailored around hammer, how it interacts with unleashing the ranger and the trait "fervent force".

On hammer unleash essentially replaces weapon swap and "fervent force" as well as "vow of the untamed" give strong incentive to carefully choose which skill to use in which state. The constant refreshing of cooldowns make this build very dynamic and decently high apm to play which is nice for anyone looking for a more active spec.

However all other weapons struggle to come even close to interact with the untamed's traits in the same way which really limits the number of play styles and builds you can achieve with this spec especially in pve. It would be great if the spec could offer more for other weapon sets.

E.g. making the ambush skills stronger and available more often would add more value to this spec that isn't restricted to the hammer.

Lastly finding a niche for this spec in pve would be great. I really enjoy the play style of the stance dancing bruiser with a hammer and I would not mind this spec staying a mediocre dps class with strong cleave and strong personal surviveability. But in it's current position there just really is not a reason to pick the untamed in pve other than flavor. 

Giving the untamed a niche doesn't have to revolve around boons but personally I think quickness and stability would a great and fitting choice and here's how I'd do it:

"Enhancing impact" already provides quickness and stability to the untamed on disable and based on their current stance. This trait could easily become a grandmaster trait providing the same boons to 5 targets. This certainly wouldn't make the untamed the best choice for either of these boons but it would allow for it to fill a role similar to quickness scrapper. "fervent force" could then be moved to master tier.

This would allow for builds to use:
"fervent force" -> "enhancing impact" for dps / quickness

"fervent force" -> "ferocious symbiosis" for full dps.

This would give untamed both a more group oriented bruiser build as well as a stronger dps build that sacrifices the self-stability and quickness you currently have on basically all untamed builds.

Being able to take both "fervent force" and "ferocious symbiosis" would also already increase the dps ceiling of this spec which might be enough to make dps untamed viable without being overpowered. If it doesn't this could easily be achieved simply through tweaking some numbers on the damage modifiers. 

• Thanks 3

Untamed looks ok, from my POV. In all three modes: PVE, sPVP and WvW is doing pretty well.

1. sPVP: Untamed is strong. He can face almost all other classes. He has a good dps and can stay alive for enough time on the point until the aid is coming.

2. PVE: solo is still one of the best/safest classes in the game. It has enough cc from personal skills + pets skills. On open-world bosses is doing pretty well, I don't have a dps meter, so I don't know how good it is compared with other classes. I don't know how it is performing in Fractals and Raids yet.

3. WvW: well, it is almost the same as before with the other ranger's specializations. One of the best in Roaming and one of the worst (if not THE worst) in Squad/Zerg/Raids. I mean, in Squad, he can survive, he is there, he can kill enemies on walls but doesn't contribute to the squad like other classes. So he can be disposed of any time from the team in exchange for other classes.

It would be nice if the new pets would be more powerful/beneficial so they can be used instead of the old pets such as Smokescale, Drake, Birds, Gazelle, Wolf or Porcine.

In other words, Untamed is ok; I don't find the same fun as with the Soulbeast (which was very action/entertaining when you could swap pets in combat) but is not so bad.

I forgot to say about the Hammer. Hammer atm is almost useless. No one will use it if you don't give it some love.

Regards,

Dragonzhunter

Edited by Dragonzhunter.8506
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

WvW Perspective:

Please please give Forest's Fortification a much shorter cooldown. You designed Untamed to be a melee bruiser spec with the inclusion of Hammer but it doesn't have enough tools to make it acceptable. Forest's Fortification is literally worse than Dolyak Stance (a Soulbeast non elite skill) because it has a NINETY second cooldown and SIX second duration. Seriously? The fact that it reduces its recharge by one second per target struck is only helpful in those rare cases where you are attacking a mob, which doesn't happen as often in WvW as in PvE. Please give Forest's Fortification a much shorter cooldown, at least 60 seconds if not shorter. I would also suggest increasing its duration, including the duration of the boons it grants to 10 seconds. Ideally, it should have a 10 second duration and 45 second recharge and as a tradeoff remove the ability for it to reduce its own cooldown that way it doesn't end up overpowered in certain instances. Remember, Dolyak Stance has a 9 second duration with a 30 second cooldown compared to Forest's Fortification having a 6 second duration and 90 second cooldown. Come on.

The Hammer is better than it was prior but it still needs small improvements. Ideally it needs one of its skills to be more defensive, having either evasion or a blocking ability. The inclusion of a 600 range leap on Hammer Skill #5 is helpful in terms of mobility, but it still isn't as Greatsword #3 outdoes it by a significant margin with a much shorter cooldown, where as Hammer #5 has a 25 second recharge as a moderate gap closer. It needs to do better, maybe give the Hammer Unleashed skill superspeed instead of a 50% movement increase? Please do something.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Soilder.3607 said:

WvW Perspective:

Please please give Forest's Fortification a much shorter cooldown.

Imo the most importent buff would be a shorter cast time. As it is it often can't be used at all when it is needed the most. But yes, a slightly shorter cd would be nice too, because the cd reduction is very hard to take advantage of in PvP combat. 45s would be too short tho, i think anywhere between 60-75 s would the the most reasonable. Duration is ok imo. 10s would be too much. The effects it provides are very powerful.

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Like 3

So after spending a bit of time trying untamed and chatting with the untamed lore npc in echovald I have come to the conclusion that the general idea and theme behind untamed is meant to be a sort of ranger take on berserker, using potent nature magics to "hulk out". To that end I think the unleash mechanic would be a lot better served as a limited mode akin to the berserker's berserk mode or holosmith's holo-forge. A mode with powerful effects/skills but that you have limited time with either through a timer or a resource mechanic. The swapping back and forth between pet and ranger is so fiddly and unimpactful most of the time by contrast. If you loaded all of the unleash mechanics into a mode that affects ranger and pet it would feel a lot more impactful to "unleash" imo. 

• Like 1

I really want to like Untamed more, as now in its current state. As many ppl mentioned, dmg is low and there's, which is a design error in my opinion, low synergy with traits and skills.

I would like to see for the start following things adresses/updated. Mention, I'm talking from PVE point of view:

At first some core traits. Untamed is used to be a bruiser (if I use this wording correctly), stunning, dazing and knocking enemys down in a wide area....so...why is knockdown not part of traits, enhancing this playstyle?. My suggestions as following:

Traits:

Moment of Clarity: Add knockdown (at least) to this trait, because that is, what untamed has acess to (Hammer 5, Exploding Spores). Also, the Effect should be expanded to pet skills, even if its a duration increse of "only" 25% für those effects.

Predator's Onslaught: Same as above, add knockdown to the effects.

For the skills, i don't see really the adventage of using "Nature's binding", besides the quickness gain. Enemys are not able to mofe out of cages....nice. Seems a different version of Entangle, but without the immobilization und the bleeding. Would be nice, to see the skill changed in something, that would fit more to the untamed idea. Maybe something like Thiefs Preparation "Seal Area":

Skills:

Natures Binding: Create a cave of vines, that enemys could not enter or leave. If enemys enter or leave, they are stunned/dazed for 1s. initial Stun/daze at activiation for all enemys inside the cave, 1,5s.
Interval of applied Stun/daze for enter/leaving: 2s.
Radius: 240.

Also, all unleashed skills should have an initial daze for 1s at the first hit.

Maybe this would help a little bit to push Untamed.

• Like 2

I only casually tried the untamed in OW since I adore my SB spec for most content.
While all of these points have already brought up, I thought I'd just add to the pile (note: I am not going into numbers, just QoL/bug stuff):

* First and foremost, obviously: fix the EoD pets not responding properly when summoned.

* Having "Attack My Target" and "Return To Me" on different bindings for Untamed compared to every other spec feels really odd and honestly really bad.
* Not being able to use pet abilities when downed really feels like a downgrade.
* The dome caused by the "Enveloping Haze" ability is rather obnoxious to be around. Playing in melee with the screen going all green and murky is kinda meh.

So I have to ask (and I realize this is 100% personal preference and not necessarily feedback as much as me just wondering)
* What is the Untamed supposed to do/be? *
While it may be up to preference whenever one actually likes it or not, the pretty much established fact is that anything the Untamed can do - SB (or even core) can do better (CC being perhaps the only point where this statement is false, not quite sure tbh). 

Allow me to elaborate, even when I am playing a full selfish OW build on my SB, I can still pick stance sharing in my build to support my allies with unique offensive and defensive buffs. Meanwhile, untamed is 100% selfish all the time and it does not contribute with anything unique for it, as far as I can tell. Even pets with buffs use their buffs less regularly than the core ranger since they cannot use their buffs when they are "untamed." Thus, I really do not enjoy playing Untamed unless I am playing by myself. As soon as there are other players nearby, I'd much rather use my SB build since I can offer some fun buffs for my allies while still surviving very well and doing great damage.

As far as I understood, Anet designed Untamed with a WvW brusier in mind - and even if we ignore the elephant in the room (which is pet survivability in WvW) - why would anyone bring a untamed to a zerg even if their pets were immortal? The pet can destroy projectiles and remove boons, but because of the really awkward pet movement - these are all situational at best, and unreliable or even useless at worst. Any class with these abilities can do the job with 100% more reliability since the abilities won't be tied to a sketchy pet AI.

My request, without being able to be super specific about it would be the following:

Find a way to make the spec able to synergize with other players. Let the pet have access to unique buffs depending on its type (deadly, stout, versatile etc), rework some traits to allow us to share some boons with nearby players, or perhaps even introduce a "supportive" mode for the pet; where it won't leave your side and rather focus on helping you and nearby allies in varying ways - such as boon support, healing, ressing downed allies or something else to encourage the Untamed to not be forced to be a "meh-ish" DPS, and thus enable some alternative gameplays and "jobs" for the spec as a whole. :D Obviously, doing this would put the druids limited usefulness as a whole at risk, but tbh - druid should have been properly reworked years ago. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am aware of how unpopular Untamed is. I basically never see a fellow Untamed player, the few Rangers I am seeing are mostly running SB. When I did my daily fractals today someone wrote "oooh untamed", that basically sums it up for me. "Unplayed" is definitely a fitting name for the spec. That said I want to add a voice of positivity into the mix. I actually really enjoy playing Untamed. The hammer actually became one of my favourite Ranger weapons.

My personal highlights of Untamed:

1. The pet unleashed skills are very strong and fun to use. You press the button and the skill activates immediately. Delightful!
  2. Playing the hammer is a ton of fun when you are fighting groups of enemies. Managing the weapon skill cooldowns to have your CC ready for break bar damage feels satisfying.
  3. The spec skills feel good to use. The heal skill actually allowed me to solo tank stuff for 3 seconds that would have normally killed me which can be useful in strikes and fractals.
  4. Most importantly: this feels like an enhanced version of core ranger to me. There is no point in playing Druid outside of instanced content plus the spec barely focuses on the pet to begin with. SB - while good - gets rid of the pet for the majority of your gameplay. Untamed finally focuses on the pet and the pet is what made me pick Ranger in 2012 to begin with.

However, I do have some issues with the spec though:

1. Condition builds are actually decent but it doesn't feel like Untamed adds anything to the build since you'll be using tools that Core Ranger has access to aswell. Might want to add some options for Condition builds that only Untamed has access to.
  2. Ambush skills feel incredibly hit or miss both in terms of visuals and damage/utility. Like the axe skill is very strong and visually pleasing while you probably won't even notice the longbow skill going off. These all need to be brough up the same standard as the axe skill.
  3. While I enjoy using the hammer, the skills look too samey. If I were to press a random number between 1 and 5 I wouldn't be able to tell which weapon skill went off. The GS is my favourite ranger weapon and part of that are the different weapon skill animations.
  4. The visuals of unleashing your pet are incredibly lackluster. I don't mind the green per se but it is barely noticable. I would have preferred it if the pet increased in size or something like that.
  5. The hammer being the only weapon that benefits from the spec outside of the ambush skills. I am not sure how to solve this without giving all of the other weapons a second moveset which would be unreasonable to expect. As it is right now you almost feel forced to play hammer to actually get the most out of the spec. I think improving the ambush skills would be a good start.
  6. The unleashing mechanic feels kind of hectic to use. You have to keep track of so many cooldowns and you are constantly pressing buttons. The spec feels just a bit too busy at times. Plus there is some much needed clarity for the readiness of your ambush skills. A small icon in your buffs bar doesn't cut it.
  7. My final issue that isn't really Untamed specific but is highlighted by Untamed: the responsivness of the pets. The disparity between unleashed skills and regular skills is ridiculous. It takes your pet forever to actually use their regular skills.

These are just my two cents. I don't do WvW, sPvP or raids. I mostly play open world PvE and fractals, sometimes I do strikes. I am aware that the lack of party buffs and lower DPS make Untamed a bad fit for stuff like raids but for the content I am doing Untamed feels good, at least to me.

Edited by MajinSoul.4512
accidental bullet point
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the release of EoD and the March 29th patch, I believe the following feedback (if it ever means anything to anet) is justify.

First, I think I’d like to give commendation to team developing the unplayed. From the very top to the very people who work on the unplayed, the level of incompetency, irresponsibility, unprofessionalism and negligence is really beyond one’s ability to comprehend. For not only this unplayable spec leave the drawing board, there’s no communication, nor even the slightest effort made, up-to-date, to properly address or fix any of the issue since beta 2 of the unplayed.

To further add more insult to the players, anet release their “SO excited” vision of the future of the game, only to not deliver their promise a mere one week later. This goes to show how serious their statements are and how little they care or “excited”. Or at the very least, they definitely don’t care nor “excited” about rangers or the unplayed.

I standby by my earlier statement that unplayed is just a product that its sole purpose is to be stick with EoD created by useless, incapable nincompoops supervised by the other carefree, imbecile, inept team.

Second, so what we should do with the unplayed? The answer is obvious, start everything from scratch. The concept is meh and the execution is the worst this game has ever seen. That's the price anet needs to pay for having this lunatic of a team working on this.

• Like 2

Honest as a ranger main,pretty dissapointed it hasn't even been mentions anywhere in patchnotes about all the nerfs on power scaling on the bow,before end of dragons i manage to hit crits against players in wvw for 2900-3200 and now same build only at 1900-2300 why always stealth nerf power builds and then you get to the condi side is the only usefull thing ranger offers outside heal spec when it comes to the 3 pillars wvw,pve,spvp ranger only has around 4 builds in total witch is useablle and this didn't use to be the cause before you guys implemented trinity 3 by realising healer based classes,each class had enough self sustain to be honest with some exceptions to some builds (especially ranger) considering only sb has stab,and having to use an elite skill for stab is really just a waste honestly in wvw corner you guys mentioned you want to rework so boon blobbing isn't a thing but with all the reflects and boons as it is now you might as well scrap wvw entirely because there is major imbalance between classes ,zerg v zerg is going to stay the meta for a long time(even longer now because of spellbreaker bubble nerf) and there is so much reflects you might as well not play ranger at all,i mean ranger is called ranger for pete's sake surely it should be a master at range damage and yet almost every other class is better than ranger in it,i run a full zerk ranger with arrow cart build and my main source of damage is my barrage witch is easy to avoid and in big zerg fights because there is always more than 5 targets the damage shifts so even if you manage to hit people for high damage it means nothing if it doesnt hit the same 5 people over and over,player glass canon ranger is supposed to be able to do really high amounts of damage but being squishy makes sense,but makes no sense that support classes witch is fully specked in tank and heal traits can basiccally 1burst my ranger on top of the fact that i can't kill them due to the stupid power scaling,condi(which is broken damage spec regardsless of class) only has this issue in zerg fights in small fights condi damage is unbeatable and the reason is simply,condi scaling damge on players is honestly stupid if you had to compare condi-power and see which kills a target fastest condi will win 100% of the time and not to mention the condi builds isn't even glass cannon you can run tank condi damage and still have enough sustain to heal yourself sufficiently ,i'm not calling for a nerf on condi damage believe me,what i am calling for not just on ranger but all classes is a rescaling all power effeciency builds so that it can stick to condi builds and not nerf condi builds to same level as power,this scaling has been an issue since heart of thorns but since this thread is untamed only i feel untamed in range aspec is extremely weak as pet unleashed only works effectively on melee pets and pretty sure all can agree,yes ranger gets hammer with unleash*(a ranger that can't use pistol or rifle laughs) but yeah its extremely cc based and all cc based skills do 0 damage in wvw and pve so what is the actual use of hammer because melee as a ranger feels silly is like saying hey i'm a sniper but my main weapon is a machete.honestly only potential on unleased is condi based and the weapon the class provides is power based so honestly really silly concept and no balance compared to other new specs like willbender and harbringer and catalest and all the others to be honest,feels like unleashed is a really sloppy rushed spec compared to anets white bread like necro and guardian

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Unknown.9837 said:

Honest as a ranger main,pretty dissapointed it hasn't even been mentions anywhere in patchnotes about all the nerfs on power scaling on the bow,before end of dragons i manage to hit crits against players in wvw for 2900-3200 and now same build only at 1900-2300 why always stealth nerf power builds and then you get to the condi side is the only usefull thing ranger offers outside heal spec when it comes to the 3 pillars wvw,pve,spvp ranger only has around 4 builds in total witch is useablle and this didn't use to be the cause before you guys implemented trinity 3 by realising healer based classes,each class had enough self sustain to be honest with some exceptions to some builds (especially ranger) considering only sb has stab,and having to use an elite skill for stab is really just a waste honestly in wvw corner you guys mentioned you want to rework so boon blobbing isn't a thing but with all the reflects and boons as it is now you might as well scrap wvw entirely because there is major imbalance between classes ,zerg v zerg is going to stay the meta for a long time(even longer now because of spellbreaker bubble nerf) and there is so much reflects you might as well not play ranger at all,i mean ranger is called ranger for pete's sake surely it should be a master at range damage and yet almost every other class is better than ranger in it,i run a full zerk ranger with arrow cart build and my main source of damage is my barrage witch is easy to avoid and in big zerg fights because there is always more than 5 targets the damage shifts so even if you manage to hit people for high damage it means nothing if it doesnt hit the same 5 people over and over,player glass canon ranger is supposed to be able to do really high amounts of damage but being squishy makes sense,but makes no sense that support classes witch is fully specked in tank and heal traits can basiccally 1burst my ranger on top of the fact that i can't kill them due to the stupid power scaling,condi(which is broken damage spec regardsless of class) only has this issue in zerg fights in small fights condi damage is unbeatable and the reason is simply,condi scaling damge on players is honestly stupid if you had to compare condi-power and see which kills a target fastest condi will win 100% of the time and not to mention the condi builds isn't even glass cannon you can run tank condi damage and still have enough sustain to heal yourself sufficiently ,i'm not calling for a nerf on condi damage believe me,what i am calling for not just on ranger but all classes is a rescaling all power effeciency builds so that it can stick to condi builds and not nerf condi builds to same level as power,this scaling has been an issue since heart of thorns but since this thread is untamed only i feel untamed in range aspec is extremely weak as pet unleashed only works effectively on melee pets and pretty sure all can agree,yes ranger gets hammer with unleash*(a ranger that can't use pistol or rifle laughs) but yeah its extremely cc based and all cc based skills do 0 damage in wvw and pve so what is the actual use of hammer because melee as a ranger feels silly is like saying hey i'm a sniper but my main weapon is a machete.honestly only potential on unleased is condi based and the weapon the class provides is power based so honestly really silly concept and no balance compared to other new specs like willbender and harbringer and catalest and all the others to be honest,feels like unleashed is a really sloppy rushed spec compared to anets white bread like necro and guardian

Yknow, this could use some paragraphs...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Untamed "unleashed" pet buff needs to do more to make an unleashed pet significantly better than a core ranger's pet. Also in retrospect to all of the Ranger pets, at this point they all seriously need to have stat sharing with the ranger being played going forward as a base mechanic and might need to have base damage of attacks adjusted based on hit rates of each class of pet (spiders for example need a significant damage increase as slow projectiles and low hit rates, or frankly just make all pets melee if it is easier). The performance of the mech belonging to the Mechanist shows that Ranger pets are vastly under preforming for the Untamed and in all ranger specs when compared. Ranger pets do not get including or gain any benefit from group buffs where the mech of the Mechanist does due to the stats on the Mechanist being altered by the buffs, which by proxy, alter the stats on the mech thus improving the mech indirectly and passively. Ranged Pets also should have different unleashed skills in my honest opinion as they don't stick with moving targets to utilize rending vines with the 180 radius as the auto attack they use is a ranged attack and they do not give chase even when teleported at a target that is mobile. 

• Like 1

I just find it really hard to play to be honest. 9 pet skills, 15 weapon skills and 2 ambush skills is a lot. Stance dancing on hammer is possible and quite fun but theres too much going on elsewhere between pet skills and ambushes and buffs from weapon and pet swapping. It feels chaotic as hell to the point where im somewhat positive that whatever the potential damage of the class i'll never really get there, which is fine, there easier specs i could play and i can enjoy failing at complicated spec to some extent. I'm skeptical about the value of a lot of the bonuses and actively seeking them though. Im pretty positive i'd be better served just camping unleashed all the time, damage has always trumped all other effects in this game and I presume it still does.

Ive basically taken to swapping to pet unleash mashing the pet skills and maybe dropping a trap to swap back immediately for an ambush. I kind of wish the unleash skill was an ambush skill with the pet firing off a bunch of attacks at this point. Make a combo that takes 6 key presses take 1. Thrown together collectively they add up to a decent attack, individually they're all pretty underwhelming and situational. Push the boon dispel and projectile shield out to every 2nd or 3rd ambush if needed to compensate for longer cooldowns.

It feels pretty squishy in ways to be honest, the 25% damage reduction is never up - by my own choice (but killing stuff faster has always been the best defence in the game so i'm pretty sure thats the right choice). The heal is great especially in an emergency but doesn't help much with topping you up. I haven't really made enough use of the elite, i forget it in the mix so theres a l2p issue there that'll probably solve itself i guess.

Utilities are kind of ok i guess. Decent selection of different skills, most are reasonably competitive against untraited core skills. Probably do a good job of filling in the odd gap. They're mostly easy to make good use of which is probably a good thing with how much is going on elsewhere. I think whatever core trait lines you take will give you access to much better utilities though. No group utility is an obvious weakness

Managing pets feels unrewarding. They feel like an awkward, unresponsive, low impact headache. I think the unleashed pet skills are good and strong and responsive and mechanists pet is quite promising in terms of pet control but i think you probably need to custom build a pet like mechanists to make dealing with pets tolerable in the long term.

I think theres a huge number of mechanics the class could lean into and be interesting, its just spread a bit thin across the board. Pet cc or other skills working with some traits and not others. The entire class is a bit of a hodge podge of individual skills working with individual traits. Hammer 5 being a knockdown and not a stun for instance makes the synergy with attack of opportunity trait much weaker, im pretty sure the 5% unconditional damage buff in melee will go further. It has a lot of mechanics i could engage with spread throughout but ignoring them and just taking the straight damage and sticking to core weapons always seems to be the better choice.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:02 AM, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Let us know what you think about the untamed! What do you really like? What needs to be improved or adjusted?

Found a bug? Let us know in the bug thread.

Let me start off with Pet Untamed revisions. Skills 2 and 3 secondary effect doesn't trigger until defiance bar is broken. In PVE you want these effect to activate to break the enemies defiance bar, not AFTER you break the bar. 

Currently:

1. Rending Vines -your pet strikes nearby enemies with vines, removing boons. Enemies that are disabled are also slowed if they already have conditions on them.
  2. Enveloping Haze- Summon a swirling spore cloud around your pet, destroying projectiles and chilling enemies who are disabled if they already have conditions on them.

Ambush skills:

Deft Strike - compare to GS (boon removal w/faster animation) this is underwhelming. Either make it a utility focus or condition since core Ranger doesnt have a melee  condi weapon focus by default.

-a.)Leap forward and Spin forward (dodge frame) , creating a spore under each enemy struck.

-b)Leap forward and Slash foes repeatedly bleeding and weakening enemies, creating a spore under each enemy struck.

Toxic Shot - why can't we have this as instant cast instead of a weird aim and shoot or swap skill with Jagged Fan (Jagged Fan - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

Traits

Ferocious Symbiosis - currently all bottom trait enhances ambush, sticking with the theme. +3%  +2 % damage and +5% movement speed. Ranger unleashed ambush skills gain:

a.)inflict daze (1/2 s). 

b.)gain an additional +120/240 Ferocity .

Restorative Strike - mid line trait are the defensive section of Untamed but passive design like this need to go specially for a GM trait A percentage of the strike damage you deal heals you.

a.)heal when you or your pet unleashed. 

b.)gain protection or barrier when you or your pet unleashed.  

Edited by AEFA.9035