Untamed Feedback Thread

Fire Attunement.9835

Not sure if its been suggested as I didnt read the previous 25 pages, but I think it would add another level of customization (and fun) if the Unleashed Pet skills would change based off the pet archetype that is unleashed and having us choose between support, power, utility, or condi unleashed pet skills.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Rysdude.3824 said:

Not sure if its been suggested as I didnt read the previous 25 pages, but I think it would add another level of customization (and fun) if the Unleashed Pet skills would change based off the pet archetype that is unleashed and having us choose between support, power, utility, or condi unleashed pet skills.

While it has been suggested, I've heard this thrown around a lot. Some actual power based skills for power pets in PvP would be nice, considering that the unleashed skills drop down significantly in terms of strike damage in PvP.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

the main problem i see in this elite is inconsistency, i mean pets wich are the main focus of this elite dont get any benefit, 3 new skills are cool, 2 are mostly utility with slow, freeze and the dome, but the  main one should at least change being power or condi based on the pet, pet archetipes are already made so just making one more skill for power is doable i think.

now that being said, the pet becomes much more condi like with untamed, spores also poison, but hammer just deals power dmg, a trait that makes all hammer unleashed skills create spores on hit would be good for a condi or hibrid build (thats if pets unleashed are to keep being main condi), if you go for a pure power build as i said, one power skill for the pet instead of the poison skill, and maybe making so using hammer(and only with hammer) hammer base skills that cc have very low dmg, but once unleashed the cd of hammer skills reduces, like a trait or smth with internal cd (like ambush skills) that way you can use hammer to cc, unleash and hit you can make use of your own cc to get all the dmg of unleashed hammer, other option would be making the base hammer cc skills and the unleashed skills that make use of cc diferent, like on base hammer 3 and 4 cc and unleashed 12 and 5 get more dmg on cc enemies, right now it more or less works but i think it can be made more.... easyer? organic?

now back to pets, i understand you cant buff pets a lot, but mech for example is pretty awesome if not broken, maybe making untamed pets more resistant allways, like dunno 1k more life for all pets on untamed, and then in traits, the same as you get more dmg or dmg reduction, make your pet deal more dmg while its unleashed and receibe less dmg while youre unleashed, that way it feels more like team play and pets would be more relevant, even if pets got broken id be a problem of numbers so itd be easy to solve

Thing i hope they do for Untamed is this im a crit chance and power build. Armor is berserker and everything else is assassin. i went on build itself marksman given i favor longbow. Beastmaster to buff me and pet given high crit chance with bow 80% without 73% unbuffed and of coarse Untamed. I agree when im unleashed it needs to benefit pet and vice versa. Also might i add 2handed perk add the hammer to that already. My attacks with bow feel faster then with hammer. Likely because lead the wind is always on my build but come on hammer begs to benefit more from 2handed perk. Also if can bring back autocast skills for pets sometimes i dont have time to trigger pets skills like in raids or fractals.

Edited by Kaenaydar.5631

There's so few pet specific bonuses in this 'pet themed spec'.

An easy change that shouldve honestly been in here from the beginning- change some traits in order to give us half of what Mechanists get for their mech's stats (a base 25% of our stats added to our pet's, and traits for an additional 50% of specific stats, including concentration.). This gives us an actually useful set of boon pets in order to play as a semi-boon support, with pets like Red Moa's fury or the protection from the Siege Turtle actually becoming much more useful. This also allows us to actually have a pet oriented experience in the open world or in pvp (wvw is still a pet death trap, but maybe roaming will improve), since we can put more stock into the pets we like or think have useful traits (i.e. buffing bears offense, cat's toughness, bird's toughness, etc). For interaction with Beastmastery, the stats could get the 20% boost second, if the increase from the ranger's stats isn't enough to make it go over the edge, but having it come before getting the boost from the ranger would be fine if it keeps it from being OP.

I honestly feel like Arenanet was worried about adding stat boosts to pets for balancing (which clearly wasn't a concern with mechanist, and the mech is honestly pretty OP) or for seeming lazy because 'they just copied what they did for  mechanist and put it on untamed'. However, it seemingly lazy but actually making ranger pets useful beyond a few good all rounders and a few specific F2s is much better than what we have currently for Untamed.

• Like 6

I honestly feel like Arenanet was worried about adding stat boosts to pets for balancing (which clearly wasn't a concern with mechanist, and the mech is honestly pretty OP)

I could see this as an Elite Spec trade-off. Where Druid has their pet's stats reduced to grant the player more raw value, the Untamed could have more of their raw value put into the pet if they wanted it to be the pet spec. Imagine that +25% dmg passive gave your pet +50% raw dmg or all stats or something instead.
Though yeah it could probably end up frustrating if the pet ended up dealing the most of your damage and it still struggled to do so because of clunky pet skills and AI.

3 hours ago, eldrevo.1746 said:

I could see this as an Elite Spec trade-off. Where Druid has their pet's stats reduced to grant the player more raw value, the Untamed could have more of their raw value put into the pet if they wanted it to be the pet spec. Imagine that +25% dmg passive gave your pet +50% raw dmg or all stats or something instead.
Though yeah it could probably end up frustrating if the pet ended up dealing the most of your damage and it still struggled to do so because of clunky pet skills and AI.

Mechanist is doing fine right now despite not having inherently better pet AI. I don't think the people who want to have a ranger+pet DPS option will be too upset if it's just stat boosts, and I certainly won't complain.

• Like 2

i agree with the statboost, the problem i see is, theres already a trait that boosts pet stats and also a trait that copies your boons to your pet, the thing is both traits are in specs rangers dont realy use that much and both are in diferent specs if both were in beast mastery line and untamed got a trait that made unleashing pets makr them deal, for example 10% more dmg, or maybe a 10% increase in ofensive stats, while you being unleashed made pets receive 10% less dmg, now that with beastmastery would make untamed much better, as for the boon untamed.... i think its better to leave druid as the suport ranger, maybe making druid pets give boons while youre on celestial avatar ( kind of like a shadow from scourge)

with that wed have a dps when you want to go solo and be more of an asassin with soulbeast, more dmg but squeasy and alone, untamed being more of the bruiser tipe, much more agressive in group fights and the pets truly being dangerous and posibly creating caos.

lastly the mech right now has much more life and better stats overall than pets, yeah untamed has 2 pets, but 2 pets that die almost instantly in a group fight, leaving you alone and being like a sb but weaker, making pets a bit stronger (and tweaking a couple of them a bit like turtle, cheetah or others) would make 2 pets become at least a threat similar to 1 mech.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 1:14 PM, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

Mechanist is doing fine right now despite not having inherently better pet AI. I don't think the people who want to have a ranger+pet DPS option will be too upset if it's just stat boosts, and I certainly won't complain.

Does Untamed have something like shift signet? 

I don’t use Mechanist in PVE, but my PvP experience is that shift signet single-handedly makes the pet AI work.

Every twenty five seconds I can tell my mech “no, don’t stand behind that pillar pewpewing into it” or “no, don’t take that long ramp that leads you in a big circle away from the fight”.

I wouldn’t play Mechanist without it.

• Like 2

Ferocious Symbiosis should swap with Nature’s Shield. Natures Shield add: now provide barrier when using cantrips, an ambush skill, and  when unleashing ranger. pet and ranger stats increase 2% while having a barrier.

Vow of the Untamed add: boons between pet and ranger are auto copied (like the Mechanist signet). 

Fortifying Bond is now: Pet inherits 5% of all ranger’s stats. 

• Like 2

On 6/17/2022 at 7:54 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

Does Untamed have something like shift signet? 

I don’t use Mechanist in PVE, but my PvP experience is that shift signet single-handedly makes the pet AI work.

Every twenty five seconds I can tell my mech “no, don’t stand behind that pillar pewpewing into it” or “no, don’t take that long ramp that leads you in a big circle away from the fight”.

I wouldn’t play Mechanist without it.

Untamed does not.

It has a shadowstep (that needs a target and sometimes fails and you just fart), and so does the pet (which also needs a target and also sometimes fails and the pet just farts).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've come back to the game after about two years, and am really only interest in PvP, so keep that in mind for my feedback:

Untamed feels out of place. I'll bring that down to a few bullet points:

- Ambush: Some of the ambush skills feel... awkward. I'm mostly referring to the shortbow skill, as you're spamming auto attacks, the ground targeting could fly at any direction where your mouse currently is, but this might be a skill issue as i'm a pleb. But hey, plebs are the majority of the playerbase I guess. Aside from that, it feels weird that only the hammer has untamed versions of its skills. Like, c'mon, that just feels lazy. 

- Pet: The abilities the pets gets from untamed feel... out off place. The lack of customization in that really doesn't fit the way ranger is. Of course having a projectile dome is useful, however, it follows the pet and is not stationary, making it even more awkward. It would have felt much more rewarding to make good choices in your build to have the right tools. 

- Role: From one side it feels as if the Untamed was ment to be a cc bruiser, at least when we look at a few traits and the design of the hammer. However, ranger doesn't really have good other weapons to go with that. Some of the longer cooldowns in GW2 in general, make it that you want to be able to swap weapons and have another set of weapons to go with your build, that are off cooldown. Ranger doesn't have any weapons that go well with the hammer. Sword could be seen as a bruiser ish weapon, but the off-hand options lack any CC.

- Condi: Some of the abilities seem to be designed for a condition damage role, mostly the exploding spores. This would have been a really cool feature, however none of the traits synergize with that. All the grandmaster traits are focussed on extra strike damage, and the top one is mostly for CC, which only shortbow 5 could really apply.

Conclusion

The Untamed is cool from the perspective of the idea, but feels unfinished. It is inconsistent and lacks identity. What role do you want it to be? It also lacks any synergies with existing weapons and traits. It has an identity crisis

Edited by The V.8759
  • Like 4

My first issue with it was that pet control is now on different keybinds throughout builds. Would be wise to make seperate keybind options for 'pet control'. And more radically to always let the ranger command all three pet abilities.

The spec as a whole feels like it doesn't know what is wants to be, or as if it doesn't necesarily want to be at all.

The overwhelming amount of poison animations feel odd to me, I don't think that's the right association for something 'Untamed'. And it doesn't look very appealing either. 

Furthermore there aren't really many animations to begin with. Some of the Unleashes are cool but utility, weapon skill and pet skill wise it's all very barebones and samey. Almost as if the Untamed designers were afraid to ask for animations for the animators.

The Unleash mechanic itself also feels unrooted because there is a four second cooldown on the Ambush, but no cooldown for Unleashing. It would feel better if you would always Ambush when Unleashing and thus Unleash would need a cooldown instead of Ambush. Same with Cleansing Unleash, just apply it only when you Unleash Ranger in conjuction with the aforementioned Unleash cooldown, that way it is more reliable. 

Overall with a broader range of nature based animations (rather than just brownyellow poison) and the change to Unleashes and Ambush, I think Untamed would feel a lot nicer, although I don't think it'll ever become anything peopled will be awed by.

In the light of Mechanist having a great pet interaction experience, I think some chances were missed here for ranger.

Edited by Dib.4612
Mechanist comment addition
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since EOD launch I have tried Untamed here and there after unlocking it. Ranger is not my main profession nor one of the most played. However, as I like different alts, and play styles, I played with Untamed as well.

It has a very high damage with disabling traits and combos, however, when using hammer and the ranger is unleashed you need disabling skills and are supposed to deal more damage as the ranger than when the pet is unleashed. The problem is, there are no disabling skills on the hammer when unleashed.

Ok, so you take the pets that can provide you that disabling effect. Rock Gazelle, Wyvern, etc. For some reason those skills are super laggy. I feel like when I press them, I can take a space ship, travel to the moon, and back before I see something happen and then use the skills that benefit from the disabling. The game style is much smoother while keeping the pet unleashed. You have the disabling skills on the hammer and then the pet skills benefit and within seconds any veteran or even elite are down. I don't really see myself switching much to unleash ranger except for the ambush ability, also since the hammer skills are on the same cooldown. It makes more sense to switch to another weapon (Greatsword, for example) and unleash there because you have the cc skills and can benefit at least from the unleash ranger traits.

Do you guys have the same issues, or am I missing something? Any tips?

thank you.

• Like 1

Can the pet Unleashed visual effect be a bit more...interesting? The texture effect looks kind of gross and veiny; a contrast to the art. I think it would have been more visually appealing to have a less intense green hue over the pet, lighting effects (like green flames) being behind the pet and maybe its eyes have that lens flare look similar to Whisper of Jormag.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

The fart cloud on the pet is very annoying visually. Especially if you have multiple untamed in your raid/strike group, rare as that is, but I've done w1-4 as alacdps, haunt, haunt tank, and DPS, and alac DPS in wing 6&qtp. It's the biggest complaint ppl had outside of the lack of range heals on Matt and Sloth (cleanses were awesome) because ppl have stacking issues. The cloud just causes visual issues for some mechanics on some people's setups.

On 8/20/2022 at 11:37 PM, HotDelirium.7984 said:

Can the pet Unleashed visual effect be a bit more...interesting? The texture effect looks kind of gross and veiny; a contrast to the art. I think it would have been more visually appealing to have a less intense green hue over the pet, lighting effects (like green flames) being behind the pet and maybe its eyes have that lens flare look similar to Whisper of Jormag.

Not just this. I want a cool effect on both the character and the pet so I can easily tell at a glance if the player is unleashed or the pet.

Same for Soulbeast, would be nice to have a subtle beast floating beast effect just like the spec artwork (depending on which pet family you are merged with)

Give us the option to dye the effect and hide the visual as well. Warframe can do this why not GW2?

Edited by God.5728
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, God.5728 said:

Not just this. I want a cool effect on both the character and the pet so I can easily tell at a glance if the player is unleashed or the pet.

Same for Soulbeast, would be nice to have a subtle beast floating beast effect just like the spec artwork (depending on which pet family you are merged with)

Give us the option to dye the effect and hide the visual as well. Warframe can do this why not GW2?

I think the soulbeast effect should almost be on untamed- what does swirling vines and leaves have to do with being merged with my pet? Similiar with some earlier ranger skills that superimpose animal animations with our attacks...why not have that happen like when we summon a stance but with our pet?

• Like 2

There's too many swaps for this simple ranger man. There's pet swap and weapon swap of course. But now also a swap that changes both hammer skills and pet skills. Swap, swap, swap.  

Unlocking more pet control is good, to an extent. If you gain control over a burst or CC skill, that is good. If you gain control over a 6 second CD attack that does a little bit more damage than auto attacks, that is bad.  

Would recommend redesigning the latter skills, make them longer CD, make them more interesting and stronger.  

Then, add this functionality of access to all pets skills as a class-wide functionality.

The unleashes CD is not visible, which makes it feel like it's up in the air, unreliable. While the idea of unleashes are cool, the Unleash Pet/Ranger mechanic just feels clunky and uninspiring to me. 

I like that you guys have gone for something pet focused but I think giving the pet these extra skills on a swap is not the right approach, just feels so clunky and the skills themselves are really meh. The whole hammer thing that goes with it feels hotglued onto it.  

I'd really recommend going the mechanic route and add any extra skills you want the pet to perform as utility skills.  

And just design the hammer as one thing without swaps that boinks enemies so your pet can finish them off.  

(And make pet do more damage of course and make it big adult version)

• Like 1