Specter Feedback Thread

Fire Attunement.9835

1 hour ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

Does Specter have any at all solo potential or are you better off with DD?

I was able to solo HoT hero points like Avatar of Balthazar with it, so felt pretty good to me. Even at half bar of shadow force, Consume Shadows was a full heal + enough barrier to sustain until the next time I needed it.

It could handle groups of fire djinn no problem because it can break defiance bars without having to spend initiative, also pulsing, also AoE.

And I was going for max shadowform Assassin flavor, so I was in melee range with double daggers and a goofy playstyle. You could use scepter and be like LordHizen, soloing legendary bounties and Axemaster Hareth.

2 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

This spec definitely has Solo potential. Power Specter is pretty good. With a couple QoL changes to twilight combo. Like a velocity change and better tracking.

And possibly a change to shadow sap because it literally does the same thing as your auto attack besides give 5 stacks of might for a negligible duration that can’t stack duration. 

Power Specter and specter in general  will change the landscape of Thief especially how potentially vital it would be to have one on your small ops group play.

(I’m talking from a WvW perspective)

Edited by AikijinX.6258
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hatsamu.4327 said:

I was able to solo HoT hero points like Avatar of Balthazar with it, so felt pretty good to me. Even at half bar of shadow force, Consume Shadows was a full heal + enough barrier to sustain until the next time I needed it.

It could handle groups of fire djinn no problem because it can break defiance bars without having to spend initiative, also pulsing, also AoE.

And I was going for max shadowform Assassin flavor, so I was in melee range with double daggers and a goofy playstyle. You could use scepter and be like LordHizen, soloing legendary bounties and Axemaster Hareth.

Now this is most intriguing.  Did you go zerker?

5 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

I spent a bunch of time in the beta with it and uh yeah I think so! If you can kite it's an easy day with Scepter and well shadowsteps. If you need to hang out in melee D/D 3, dodge, and use shadowforce to tank, regen init/endurance, and/or heal to full with barrier on top.

Mayatl Solo (Sc/P Ranged)

Champion Avatar of Balthazar Solo (D/D Melee)

This was the build I used, full celestial (which you can also use for alac in groups, ~50% boon duration gives you easy full uptime with those wells).

http://imgur.com/ReuQECW

Edited by Malkarne.8167

9 minutes ago, Malkarne.8167 said:

I spent a bunch of time in the beta with it and uh yeah I think so! If you can kite it's an easy day with Scepter and well shadowsteps. If you need to hang out in melee D/D 3, dodge, and use shadowforce to tank, regen init/endurance, and/or heal to full with barrier on top.

Mayatl Solo (Sc/P Ranged)

Champion Avatar of Balthazar Solo (D/D Melee)

This was the build I used, full celestial (which you can also use for alac in groups, ~50% boon duration gives you easy full uptime with those wells).

http://imgur.com/ReuQECW

Intriguing, very much intriguing.  Fortunately I have large amounts of charged quartz.
So you are using D/D with Scepter on swap?

Also, for underwater spear or harpoon gun?

4 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

Intriguing, very much intriguing.  Fortunately I have large amounts of charged quartz.
So you are using D/D with Scepter on swap?

Also, for underwater spear or harpoon gun?

Yeah, D/D with Scepter swap. And I forget underwater exists so idk lol. Honestly I feel like the specs are unfinished underwater. None of the wells work and things like the Mechanist pet being completely unusable underwater makes me think (hope) they actually you know... let the new specs function underwater lol.

39 minutes ago, Malkarne.8167 said:

Yeah, D/D with Scepter swap. And I forget underwater exists so idk lol. Honestly I feel like the specs are unfinished underwater. None of the wells work and things like the Mechanist pet being completely unusable underwater makes me think (hope) they actually you know... let the new specs function underwater lol.

Thank you, sent you a message with another question

THIS IS PERFECT!  You guys really hit the nail on the head with this one: it does exactly what it was advertised to do, and performs well across all PvE game modes (open world, story, fractals, dungeons, strikes, raids).  Do not change the Specter in any way.  It is not unreasonably awesome, nor is it unreasonably weak.  The only complaint I might have had is the reduced initiative pool, but with Shadow Shroud available, I never even noticed it was missing.

• Confused 4

4 hours ago, DarkLancer.1902 said:

THIS IS PERFECT!  You guys really hit the nail on the head with this one: it does exactly what it was advertised to do, and performs well across all PvE game modes (open world, story, fractals, dungeons, strikes, raids).  Do not change the Specter in any way.  It is not unreasonably awesome, nor is it unreasonably weak.  The only complaint I might have had is the reduced initiative pool, but with Shadow Shroud available, I never even noticed it was missing.

I will agree that I do absolutely love the spec.  Unlike some of the others, it felt fundamentally awesome.  That said, I don't agree with "Do not change the Specter in any way" because there are definitely QoL and bug fixes that would take the class from mediocre to amazing.

But when I compare and contrast this spec to the others like Virtuoso, I'm so excited to play this.  I also think it's hilarious and awesome that the thief of all classes gets the spec closest to OG Monk which is my all-time favorite class.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DarkLancer.1902 said:

You honestly think the single target focus works well in raids and large group content?

6 hours ago, Ivaldi.5076 said:

You honestly think the single target focus works well in raids and large group content?

That's going to be different for people. I'm used to jumping around targets a lot and I'm still most comfortable curser targeting but I get how that would be uncomfortable for people and impossible in some scenarios. I've suggested a radial menu on of these threads, like on a quick down press to select from enemy and friendly targets within a cone or radius, or just select the best lined up target within a thin cone for Siphon or something. 

14 hours ago, kash.9213 said:

That's going to be different for people. I'm used to jumping around targets a lot and I'm still most comfortable curser targeting but I get how that would be uncomfortable for people and impossible in some scenarios. I've suggested a radial menu on of these threads, like on a quick down press to select from enemy and friendly targets within a cone or radius, or just select the best lined up target within a thin cone for Siphon or something. 

I agree a radial menu might work, but 'best lined up target' isn't really good enough, you need the actual target and a radial won't work for larger groups.  Though I'm not sure curser targeting will work at all for action cam.

I remember being enthralled with Daredevil and then the Deadeye but they still had the same "feel" about them if you would and they came out of the gate a bit stronger then where they ended up.

If I had to go with a gut feel in the limited time I played this I thought this spec a lot more intriguing then either of those simply because the play so different. My feeling is I can tinker with this spec a lot more and get a wider variation of gameplay out of the Thief.

I just hope they do not neuter it.

20 minutes ago, Zenith.7301 said:

Whyyyyyy do scepter sounds resemble more gun sounds than actual magical sounds, please fix. The sound effects on scepter sound awful and out of place.

Sound like everyone is complaining about the SFX.

Perhaps I'm alone but I actually liked it 😅.  I liked that it wasn't some super quiet "swoosh" or other insignificant sound but one that felt impactful

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, zetherin.8372 said:

Sound like everyone is complaining about the SFX.

Perhaps I'm alone but I actually liked it 😅.  I liked that it wasn't some super quiet "swoosh" or other insignificant sound but one that felt impactful

LOL. To be honest. I didn’t mind it at all. But once I saw peoples comments about it, I took time to notice, and concluded. I still didn’t care, I actually thought it sounded pretty cool like. 😂

Edited by AikijinX.6258

On 11/12/2021 at 1:32 AM, Malkarne.8167 said:

Lol, mechanist not being able to use the golem underwater is really, really bad xD

15 hours ago, AikijinX.6258 said:

The passive traits work, but the utility skills don’t, nor does the elite. We are completely shut off from using Specter skills underwater

Maybe it's the pace and animations of underwater skills but I almost never run out of Initiative underwater. Might as well build up Shadow Force in water.