Surviving pocket raptors

So my lvl 80 ranger with some pretty tough pets does ok, but only at ranged. Pocket raptors and mushroom things and mordrem kill me pretty quick. I'm assuming i must need better armor but am looking for some advice as to how to survive melee when i can't find a high place to attack from while my pet deals with the melee.

It sounds like you're using what's commonly known as a 'bear bow' build (even though it doesn't necessarily require a bear pet), which works exactly as you've described; if you can stay at range it's pretty good and easy to play but if you can't then it's difficult to stay alive.

The first thing to know is that HoT is intentionally harder than core Tyria maps, so it's not surprising you're having trouble there, everyone does, especially with pocket raptors. All the different types of enemies have different abilities and need slightly different tactics to beat.

Pocket raptors are pretty weak individually but there's always a lot of them and they hit hard, so ideally you need to take out several of them at once. There's several ways to do that (like the greatsword, which has cleave so it will hit multiple targets at once) but the easiest I've found on a ranger is to use either a Flame Trap or Spike Trap (or both).

For the mushrooms the most important thing is to move out the way of their charge attack or AoE (depending on which mushroom you're fighting). Any profession and build can do this, although it's slightly easier with a ranged weapon because you can attack from anywhere in the area. Run out the way if you have time, dodge if you don't, and try to keep moving.

There's lots of kinds of Mordrem so it's difficult to give specific advice, although if there's a Mender it's a good idea to take them out first because they'll heal the others. Otherwise take your time, look at what they're doing and experiment with different tactics to see what works best.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

It sounds like you're using what's commonly known as a 'bear bow' build (even though it doesn't necessarily require a bear pet), which works exactly as you've described; if you can stay at range it's pretty good and easy to play but if you can't then it's difficult to stay alive.

The first thing to know is that HoT is intentionally harder than core Tyria maps, so it's not surprising you're having trouble there, everyone does, especially with pocket raptors. All the different types of enemies have different abilities and need slightly different tactics to beat.

Pocket raptors are pretty weak individually but there's always a lot of them and they hit hard, so ideally you need to take out several of them at once. There's several ways to do that (like the greatsword, which has cleave so it will hit multiple targets at once) but the easiest I've found on a ranger is to use either a Flame Trap or Spike Trap (or both).

For the mushrooms the most important thing is to move out the way of their charge attack or AoE (depending on which mushroom you're fighting). Any profession and build can do this, although it's slightly easier with a ranged weapon because you can attack from anywhere in the area. Run out the way if you have time, dodge if you don't, and try to keep moving.

There's lots of kinds of Mordrem so it's difficult to give specific advice, although if there's a Mender it's a good idea to take them out first because they'll heal the others. Otherwise take your time, look at what they're doing and experiment with different tactics to see what works best.

to elaborate more on this. post.
Ranger's bear bow builds are known to have an issue at the more difficult content. This cause the tactics (staying ranged and letting your pet tank for you) does no longer work. The main issue is that you have a much steeper learning curve to develop different tactics more vaiable. If you have a free characterslot I would recommend to roll a different ranger and try the other weapons (e.g. the greatsword). This way you also are more early forced in learning things like dodging and moving around while dealing dps. Most damage mitigation is done when you move. Trying to recognise the heavy attacks that need to be dodge and the lower attacks that can be done with just moving around.

in HoT making mistakes here is lethal. In the core game, it is more forgiving. Howver, if you go now back to e.g. queensdale, due to your current level and armor, it is a walk in the park. So thats why I recommend rolling a new ranger and staying away from the bow while levelling up.

1 or 2 aoe skills should be enough on most power build. Cast bow 5 on yourself and switch to whatever that has some cleave, aoe. Greatsword 2 or just 1. Axe 5 by itself should be overkill. 

Or you can just engage aggresively with raptor and cleave them. 

Pocket raptors are only dangerous if they catch you unprepared. 

12 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

greatsword 4 to block untill they all attacked and garthered around you.

Then greatsword 2, then 5 that refreshes 2 and hit 2 again.

This pretty much. Most Pocket Raptors catch people unaware, if you know where the general areas they spawn in are, it's relatively easy to deal with them since their HP is so miniscule you can cleave most of them to death in a single GS 2 hit. 

Keep an awareness of where they would spawn usually and they should be no problem for you as catching players unaware is their main tactic in most scenarios. 

Remember that NPC near the little circle  with a chest in the middle in the stater zone that was teaching how to dodge?

Well, HoT is the nest step. Dodge is your friend, your only friend. Your dodge( double tapping WSAD) is the most important key on your keyboard.

I play a ranger axe axe/torch and a pack of raptor, i just run into them. You just gotta know your rotation.

Mobs in HoT are not the same as the vanilla version, they have skills, resistance, hp. The Itzel, they will marinate your butt and have it for supper. Those mordrem sniper, with their trail of fire on the ground will roast you like a marshmallow. And lets not talk about those menders that will refill the HP bar of something you think you almost killed.

You can keep your bow, but also equip something for close combat (Greatsword, axe...) because HoT made me drop my bow for a pair of axe and a torch. Never looked back. I still carry one, use it mainly on some world boss so i can be at range and do some damage.

If you have some guildmates or friends ask them to duel you and just keep trying to avoid anything they throw at you. 

Dodge, drop the bow and dodge, then dodge some more... And again.

Edited by Katastroff.1045

20 hours ago, Blacknight.7205 said:

So my lvl 80 ranger with some pretty tough pets does ok, but only at ranged. Pocket raptors and mushroom things and mordrem kill me pretty quick. I'm assuming i must need better armor but am looking for some advice as to how to survive melee when i can't find a high place to attack from while my pet deals with the melee.

Just run away, pocket raptors impossible to kill.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, Blacknight.7205 said:

Very good advice has been posted already. I just wanted to ask what you gear is. When I first ran into HoT I didn't even have a full exotic gear and didn't care about runes and sigils and trinkets and all the jazz. Once I did, it made quite a difference.

• Like 2