So What Elite Spec you want next?

EdwinLi.1284

This is my prediction:
Ever since launch Anet has struggled to define the role and theme for the Engineer: Is it ranged? Is it close ranged? is it a bruiser or a damage dealer? What do we want from ths class - no kittening clue so let's give it a trait in honor of our indecisiveness called Purity of Purpose.
Then one day someone came up with the hawking level-smart idea to make the next engineer elite spec the most casual friendly, carpal tunnel curing, suckup populistic deisgn they could think of. This was a hit on the media platforms. Obviously what the mob had wished for christmas. This is what the future of the engineer class look like. This is the role that engineer will have.  A crowd pleasing litter bin designed for nothing but showcasing.

Edited by Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365
  • Sad 1

I know there was a "troll" Commando class that was created at some point back in uh 2012 ? I dont remember but I genuinely think the Engineer could have a Commando spec. The weapon would be dagger on both hands and he would have access to trap type skill.  The idea of the spec is to be trained in close fighting while lying traps. You could have for instance a heal trap that steals a bit of HP from the enemy and heals you for twice/three time the amount of HP stolen (I insist on the "a bit" part,I dont want the trap to be a heavy damage skill but at the same time I want it to be worth using). The utility trap could go from traps that focus purely on applying heavy debuff in form of weakness, vulnerability stacks and freeze to trap that deals direct or condition damage. No idea for what kind of elite trap we could introduce for now. No idea if the F5 should be kept or reworked. 

Another possible spec *could* be the Demolition Expert spec. Basically the engineer would have access to a rocket launcher as his F5 that would work kind of like the Bladesworn. The rocket launcher would basically look like the one you find on the Drizzlewood event, equiping the rocket launcher would let you have access to a weapon that shoots a fast travelling rocket that has a max range of 1500 and with high damage, however the drawback is that when you equip the rocket launcher, the weapon slows you down even more so when in combat you will be running slower than normal speed. Swiftness and Super speed will also have their efficiency reduce when the rocket launcher is equiped. The idea of the spec is having a high damage juggernaut like specialized in ranged fight at the cost of mobility. As far as weapon goes, I think the longbow is a good contender. I think this spec could use stance type skill that will grants buff to your character as well as making the handling of the rocket launcher better. For instance you could have a stance that basically gives few seconds of superspeed and temporary remove the rocket launcher movement penalty. 

But out of the 2, I would prefer the Demolition Expert spec, just because it has a rocket launcher.

After EoD, I don't want more Elite specs. I want more weapons for core. Engineer is so dull to play because their are not enough weapon. And as someone who hates the kits, that means I either play the elite specs for new weapons or play with the only two other options I have left.

On 1/16/2022 at 2:35 AM, Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365 said:

This is my prediction:
Ever since launch Anet has struggled to define the role and theme for the Engineer: Is it ranged? Is it close ranged? is it a bruiser or a damage dealer? What do we want from ths class - no kittening clue so let's give it a trait in honor of our indecisiveness called Purity of Purpose.
Then one day someone came up with the hawking level-smart idea to make the next engineer elite spec the most casual friendly, carpal tunnel curing, suckup populistic deisgn they could think of. This was a hit on the media platforms. Obviously what the mob had wished for christmas. This is what the future of the engineer class look like. This is the role that engineer will have.  A crowd pleasing litter bin designed for nothing but showcasing.

I can't tell if this is meant to be a joke or just venting about how much you hate Engineer profession.

Either way I will say this....

Engineer probably has the largest potential for the most creative Elite Specs in GW2 BUT the main issue is that development team appears to not want to get very creative with ideas or are uncertain if they want to break down Engineer from their original plan to be a Jack of All trades but Master of None design when it was just Core professions.

Holosmith is probably the current out 3 Elite spec for engineer where they know what they wanted it to be being a direct damage DPS job that focus on a customizable kit being the Holoforge. It shows if they just focus on a very specific mechanic for Engineer's elite spec while still keeping it related to Engineer using their ability to make things and modify things, they can decide where they want to go for each Elite Spec.

It is one reason why I think a Main Weapon Elite Spec can be quite the potential Elite Spec if they do the customize Main Weapon skill set mechanic right. However, I can't say how for certain since there are many ways they can go with the mechanic by design. Effort and time is where the real work will always be placed in the end of designing Elite Specs after all.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

At this stage, I'd probably take almost anything as long as it isn't another melee weapon or a pet spec where almost all the traits are purely about the pet.

Well the pet mech elite spec was in demand by the vocal people for Engineer for a long time so it was expect to eventually be released. I am glad they deal with it now since with that out of the way, Anet can atleast focus on other things for Engineer with their future Elite Spec. 

I always been interesting in Elite Specs that can modify Main Weapons so players can change/customize their Main Weapon skills based on how they want to use their Main Weapon which I do speak about a lot in my other posts (sorry if I repeat this topic often but it such a potential concept for Engineer that I felt should have been part of the Engineer's Core mechanics when GW2 was just released as a alternative for those who don't want to focus on Kits as their Engineer Main weapon) and a Elite Spec that expands on the toolbelt mechanic of Engineer like a wrist launcher mechanic Elite Spec since there always been potential to expand on toolkits with a Elite Spec ever since they introduced Elite Spec in HoT.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

I think there won't be any more pet spec, apart from maybe a Ranger that focus on the pet differently or a Necro that can summon better/more minions

I still want a spec about Mechadentrides, where you get some "kit" which instead of changing your weapon skills change your Tool belts skills, like one kit would give some sort of Jetpack, a Automated Medkit (Mechadendrites with syringes on the bits), Dissection kit (Bladed tool), Heavy Mechadendrites (For some added CC) and one with Flamers/Guns on it

6 hours ago, Dawanarth.4601 said:

I think there won't be any more pet spec, apart from maybe a Ranger that focus on the pet differently or a Necro that can summon better/more minions

I still want a spec about Mechadentrides, where you get some "kit" which instead of changing your weapon skills change your Tool belts skills, like one kit would give some sort of Jetpack, a Automated Medkit (Mechadendrites with syringes on the bits), Dissection kit (Bladed tool), Heavy Mechadendrites (For some added CC) and one with Flamers/Guns on it

there are technically 3 classes that can still have another pet spec realistically... mesmer,ranger, and necro... all 3 could realistically have a pet spec without stretching too far... (like mesmers summoning more monstrous illusions for example... or a sorta lich king esque pet spec for the necro

10 hours ago, Dawanarth.4601 said:

Speaking of Ranger, like how I am a bit surprised they have not given Engineer a Elite Spec that focus on their Main Weapon through some kind of Elite Spec mechanic that allows them to customize their Main Weapon using their Engineering skills, I am still wondering how long will Anet take to bring in the Rifle Elite Spec for Ranger. 

Rifle Elite Spec for Ranger feels like a obvious choice for a Ranger Elite Spec to specialize into having the Ranger work with their pet more. A modern hunter Elite spec in a certain point of view. 

As for the tool belt changing Elite Spec for Engineer, I felt that will fit the Wrist Launcher Elite Spec but atleast one possible way they may have the Wrist launcher Elite Spec mechanic function. However, Anet will have to choose a Main weapon for this Elite Spec that will be a viable option since the Enigneer will no longer have access to Kit weapons but instead the Kits focus on switching their tool belt skills with Wrist launcher skills instead based on which tool kit is being used. Not to mention certain traits to make certain Core weapons are also possible choices so that the Elite Spec specific Main Weapon is not the only viable option.

There are other options they may take with Wrist Launcher Elite Spec as well but I believe the most simple solution will be to have it based on which Kit is active. 

No idea what kind of Utility skill they may consider though.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

12 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

Well the pet mech elite spec was in demand by the vocal people for Engineer for a long time so it was expect to eventually be released. I am glad they deal with it now since with that out of the way, Anet can atleast focus on other things for Engineer with their future Elite Spec. 

I always been interesting in Elite Specs that can modify Main Weapons so players can change/customize their Main Weapon skills based on how they want to use their Main Weapon which I do speak about a lot in my other posts (sorry if I repeat this topic often but it such a potential concept for Engineer that I felt should have been part of the Engineer's Core mechanics when GW2 was just released as a alternative for those who don't want to focus on Kits as their Engineer Main weapon) and a Elite Spec that expands on the toolbelt mechanic of Engineer like a wrist launcher mechanic Elite Spec since there always been potential to expand on toolkits with a Elite Spec ever since they introduced Elite Spec in HoT.

Sure, they can have one. ONE.

Honestly, though, it's the "please not another melee weapon" thing that I'm more concerned about. There's so much more they can do with the engineer concept for ranged weapons than the current rifle, pistols, and kits.

As for changing main weapon skills - I'm more inclined towards seeing that done with traits or a new set of utility skills (maybe something like the GW1 ranger preparations?) rather than fiddling with the way kits work.

30 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Sure, they can have one. ONE.

Honestly, though, it's the "please not another melee weapon" thing that I'm more concerned about. There's so much more they can do with the engineer concept for ranged weapons than the current rifle, pistols, and kits.

As for changing main weapon skills - I'm more inclined towards seeing that done with traits or a new set of utility skills (maybe something like the GW1 ranger preparations?) rather than fiddling with the way kits work.

I think Engineer has plenty of potential to make some of the standard Melee Weapons into Range weapons.

Greatsword, for example, can be a Range weapon for Engineer if they design it right for a Tech sword theme Elite Spec. 

Tech sword is a potential theme for a Engineer Elite Spec beyond just GunSaber/GunBlade option and with Warrior taking Gunblade option, Anet needs to go into the other types of Tech Swords instead which there are a lot of options. There is Flame/Heat sword which is powered by heat energy to create range heat attacks that can create slash waves or other things, Electric/Energy charged swords for energy based range slash attacks, Core powered tech swords for range attacks based on what powers the core, and etc.

Then there is also Short bow or Long bow Elite Spec which I think maybe best for a Engineer trapper Elite Spec that focus on Traps in Utility and Tech Arrows so they can go that Rambo theme Elite Spec.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

I think there are limits to what can realistically be expected to be achieved with a 'tech sword' concept, particularly since we already see a lot of themes for ranged attacks coming out of bladed weapons already (berserker sword fire flurry, virtuoso and guardian throwing waves of slashing force, mesmer channelling energy bolts down a greatsword blade, etc). Personally, I'd rather see a tech sceptre or staff - a sword is still going to have the engineering feature of having most of its mass in the form of a blade that's poorly suited for incorporating tech, while a staff or sceptre could have tech built into its entire length. There are also quite a few techy staff and sceptre skins, possibly more than there are skins suitable as melee weapons for revenant and daredevil. A tech'd up greatsword is something I'd probably see as being more like the flamesaw, just... not as the next thing.

That does still offer a lot of potential, though. Aforementioned tech sceptre and staff. Bow with tech arrows. Teched up throwing axes (the haft offers more space to work tech into, and the blade would have a functional purpose with a throwing axe). Throwing daggers are probably a little less suitable, but still have potential. So there's plenty of potential there.

Let's say they were guys with "exoframes" that allowed modular hybrid transformers-powersuits style "assault weapon systems" to be teleported to them and attached. One dude could put on wings and a jet engine and become a human-sized mach-capable jet fighter, while the other dude put on tank treads and a 120mm recoilless rifle, and LARPed as a tank-motorcycle for a few minutes. They were kitten back when I was a kid.

Watching the opening sequence on youtube should give you a good idea. (can't link now, at work)

19 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I think there are limits to what can realistically be expected to be achieved with a 'tech sword' concept, particularly since we already see a lot of themes for ranged attacks coming out of bladed weapons already (berserker sword fire flurry, virtuoso and guardian throwing waves of slashing force, mesmer channelling energy bolts down a greatsword blade, etc). Personally, I'd rather see a tech sceptre or staff - a sword is still going to have the engineering feature of having most of its mass in the form of a blade that's poorly suited for incorporating tech, while a staff or sceptre could have tech built into its entire length. There are also quite a few techy staff and sceptre skins, possibly more than there are skins suitable as melee weapons for revenant and daredevil. A tech'd up greatsword is something I'd probably see as being more like the flamesaw, just... not as the next thing.

That does still offer a lot of potential, though. Aforementioned tech sceptre and staff. Bow with tech arrows. Teched up throwing axes (the haft offers more space to work tech into, and the blade would have a functional purpose with a throwing axe). Throwing daggers are probably a little less suitable, but still have potential. So there's plenty of potential there.

I honestly been waiting for Staff Elite Spec Engineer for a long time already and hope it is for a Technomancer Elite Spec.

It is such a potential concept if done right but I don't even have a clue on what maybe a mechanic for a Technomancer Elite Spec.

I really want a Commando type spec, or bounty hunter... something like that.  Uses guns, gadgets, bombs, rocket launchers, jet packs, and just all around has an arsenal of tricky tech.  Something like starlord or Boba fett.

I'll probably never get my wish, because a lot of that stuff is sitting in Core engi just under tuned and collecting dust.  But one can hope.  I do wish we would at least get some cool new kits.  I'd say rocket launcher and laser cannon kits would be cool.  Maybe some sort of new mechanic that let's us expand our toolbelt to our back and shoulders to fire off machine guns or missiles or lasers?  Getting a little crazy now I'll just stop ️ 

16 hours ago, Stx.4857 said:

I really want a Commando type spec, or bounty hunter... something like that.  Uses guns, gadgets, bombs, rocket launchers, jet packs, and just all around has an arsenal of tricky tech.  Something like starlord or Boba fett.

I'll probably never get my wish, because a lot of that stuff is sitting in Core engi just under tuned and collecting dust.  But one can hope.  I do wish we would at least get some cool new kits.  I'd say rocket launcher and laser cannon kits would be cool.  Maybe some sort of new mechanic that let's us expand our toolbelt to our back and shoulders to fire off machine guns or missiles or lasers?  Getting a little crazy now I'll just stop ️ 

sadly to get that working they need a Elite Spec that specialize in making Engineer not depend on kit 99% of the time. 

That will require a very heavy rework of Engineer's mechanic with this new Elite Spec to make Main Weapons a viable option so players won't need to depend on kits and just stick to their Main Weapon while having traits or Elite Spec specific benefit that improves on Utility skills not related to kits such as gadgets.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

• 2 weeks later...

A rather old thought I had remember involving a potential Elite Spec for Engineer is to give Engineer a Main Hand Focus Elite Spec.

This is a rather interesting choice in my opinon because it will not only be the first Main hand Focus character but Engineer can get creative on how they use the Focus as their Main Hand weapon. Maybe even include Off-hand Focus so the Engineer has dual wield focus

On 11/2/2021 at 2:31 PM, Bomboed.5697 said:

Personally, I think that "gameplay first" is a right way to make games. Yeah, theme is important, but it is secondary to gameplay. I don't really care about spec having a certain theme, like golemancy. I want new specs to be fun to play, highly customizable with synergies with core specs and healthy for the game.
If new spec involves another transformation, but it is enjoyable to play and interesting to tinker with - I am okay with that.
But if new spec pushes hard on certain theme, but functionally feels bad - I am not okay with that.

Mechanist is a result of "theme first" philosophy. A lot of people asked for "golemancy" stuff, because "it would be so cool to be an engineer with a cool looking pet golem". And people got what they asked for. It looks cool, it has a strong theme, but functionally it is clunky as hell, not very customizable and will be a nightmare to properly balance for different gamemodes.

Was it worth it?

I don't even think it looks cool. Of all the jade golems we've seen in gameplay and trailers, it is by far the worst looking one. The shoulders look ridiculous, the legs look ridiculous, the animations are bog standard golem animations, it can't be customised and you can't even change the colour. Ranger pets are limited in choice realistically to only 4-5 pets but that's 4-5 more options than Mechanist gets.

The balancing issues were predicted long before the betas and demonstrated by the betas. A pet spec was the worst possible idea for Engineer, as we've already seen with scrapper and core. I can't imagine who thought this was a good idea.....

No hang on, yes I can. The same person that thought the Gyros were a good idea...

kitten...

• Like 1

I am fine with everything for a next e spec on engi if there comes another,
Just not another AI e spec pls xD

I mean mechanist is still "okay" because u cast the good skills of it by urself and it also has skills that jump to the enemy and that shoot it from range so it can hit the enemy in a rythm without repositioning all 0.5 seconds bc the enemy moved 0.00001 cm.

However after this anyway: I want no more AI e spec.

• Like 1

I think a Technomancy/Magitech spec would be a cool fantasy for engineer to dip into. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Engineers are the only profession that don't use any kind of magic, so I find the idea of Engineers "inventing" their own magic very compelling.

For the gameplay side, I think having a totem-style mechanic, a la Scourge, where you drop 1-3 pylons or tesla coils that steal boons from enemies and copy them on allies or cleanse conditions on allies and copy them on enemies near the pylon. I think the whole boon corrupt playstyle isn't utilized well enough, and expanding the role to Engineer would be very interesting. Maybe you could even use your own boons/conditions to "overload" the pylons for massive damage, support, or CC. It would also be cool and interesting if dropping 3 pylons within close proximity of each other would create a cage to trap enemies for ~5s. For Utilities, I think a mix of Catalyst Augments with either Spirit Weapons, Phantasms (not Clones), or Manipulations. The utilities could really be anything, but I think those 3 could fit into the fantasy of "technological magic." The Augment part is really just buffing the Utilities when used near the pylon, or buffing the pylon itself.

For the weapon, I only see 3 options: Staff, Greatsword, or Shortbow. Staff makes the most sense, and fits the fantasy to a T. If the Greatsword is designed in the same vein as Mesmer Greatsword, then it could fit the fantasy, albeit tangentially. Shortbow makes the least sense, comparatively, but if it were similar to Aloy from Horizon: Zero Dawn, then you might be able to get away with it. Any other weapon either doesn't fit the fantasy, can't work functionally because of Engineer's lack of weapon options, or would be hard to make interesting.

Just a concept I've been mulling over.

• Confused 1

Engineers don't use magic directly, but they've been established as being perfectly willing to make use of magical technology. Scrapper and core engi at least has some plausible deniability, but holosmith and mechanist are pretty explicitly magitech.

Of course, there's still room in that concept space for more.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke

By harnessing the power of the sun, holosmiths can create semi-solid constructs of light. They wield swords in battle, and gain access to powerful light weapons in their volatile Photon Forge mode.

So Hardligth generator powered by Solar panels

mechanist is a dynamic innovator, using their mechanical expertise and advanced Canthan technology to battle alongside a jade mech of their own creation. Customize your mech and use it to crush your enemies—together, you're unstoppable.

Cathay Electronic with Tyrian Mechanical wonders

You need to look at the lore behind those elites.

Holoforges are powered by Zephyrite Sun Crystals. So, basically, magic batteries. Not solar panels. Holosmiths are basically running around with pieces of Aurene's mother.

Jade mechs are powered by magical energy soaked up by dragonjade. So, basically, magic batteries again.

It's more of the reverse: any sufficiently analysed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE! The only difference between what holosmiths and mechanists are doing and asura magitech is that the asura can charge magic crystals themselves, while holosmiths and mechanists are using pre-charged crystal.