So What Elite Spec you want next?

EdwinLi.1284

On 2/9/2022 at 12:56 AM, Coolster.2536 said:

I think a Technomancy/Magitech spec would be a cool fantasy for engineer to dip into. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Engineers are the only profession that don't use any kind of magic, so I find the idea of Engineers "inventing" their own magic very compelling.

For the gameplay side, I think having a totem-style mechanic, a la Scourge, where you drop 1-3 pylons or tesla coils that steal boons from enemies and copy them on allies or cleanse conditions on allies and copy them on enemies near the pylon. I think the whole boon corrupt playstyle isn't utilized well enough, and expanding the role to Engineer would be very interesting. Maybe you could even use your own boons/conditions to "overload" the pylons for massive damage, support, or CC. It would also be cool and interesting if dropping 3 pylons within close proximity of each other would create a cage to trap enemies for ~5s. For Utilities, I think a mix of Catalyst Augments with either Spirit Weapons, Phantasms (not Clones), or Manipulations. The utilities could really be anything, but I think those 3 could fit into the fantasy of "technological magic." The Augment part is really just buffing the Utilities when used near the pylon, or buffing the pylon itself.

For the weapon, I only see 3 options: Staff, Greatsword, or Shortbow. Staff makes the most sense, and fits the fantasy to a T. If the Greatsword is designed in the same vein as Mesmer Greatsword, then it could fit the fantasy, albeit tangentially. Shortbow makes the least sense, comparatively, but if it were similar to Aloy from Horizon: Zero Dawn, then you might be able to get away with it. Any other weapon either doesn't fit the fantasy, can't work functionally because of Engineer's lack of weapon options, or would be hard to make interesting.

Just a concept I've been mulling over.

Technomancer/TechnoMage is a interesting concept for Engineer jobs and one I enjoy for many years if done right.

This concept actually originates from Sci-fi series as the sci-fi series way of introducing Mages into their tech focus series while still maintaining the theme. Concept of the Technomancer/TechnoMage is to create and master technology advance enough that a person can perform abilities only believed to exists in Magic. 

With GW2 following a Sci-fi Fantasy theme, the Technomancer Elite Spec will fit right in as a future Engineer Elite Spec.

On 2/14/2022 at 8:11 AM, draxynnic.3719 said:

You need to look at the lore behind those elites.

Holoforges are powered by Zephyrite Sun Crystals. So, basically, magic batteries. Not solar panels. Holosmiths are basically running around with pieces of Aurene's mother.

Jade mechs are powered by magical energy soaked up by dragonjade. So, basically, magic batteries again.

It's more of the reverse: any sufficiently analysed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE! The only difference between what holosmiths and mechanists are doing and asura magitech is that the asura can charge magic crystals themselves, while holosmiths and mechanists are using pre-charged crystal.

One of the reasons why I have been facinated with introducing Technomancer into GW2. The Technomancer/TechnoMage concept is a old sci-fi theme thing but it has such great potential to show a bit of the other side of Engineer's skills with technology compared to current Elite Spec while focusing on something that can be potentially interesting gameplay wise if done right.

Weapon wise, I see Technomancer as either the Focus or Staff elite spec. However, I do wish they may take this chance to make Technomancer a Main Hand Focus Elite Spec since Main Hand focus has been a potential concept Anet can implament anytime they want if they ever decide to no longer keep focus as a Off-hand only weapon. 

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

2 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

Technomancer/TechnoMage is a interesting concept for Engineer jobs and one I enjoy for many years if done right.

This concept actually originates from Sci-fi series as the sci-fi series way of introducing Mages into their tech focus series while still maintaining the theme. Concept of the Technomancer/TechnoMage is to create and master technology advance enough that a person can perform abilities only believed to exists in Magic. 

With GW2 following a Sci-fi Fantasy theme, the Technomancer Elite Spec will fit right in as a future Engineer Elite Spec.

I don't know, it doesn't really excite me since I see this theme already realised in holosmith and mechanist.

32 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

I don't know, it doesn't really excite me since I see this theme already realised in holosmith and mechanist.

Those are not Technomancer/TechnoMage as they still do not follow what Technomancer/TechnoMage are.

The Holosmith is a very classic sci-fi power being the Holographic projection causing physical damage. The Magic Crystal being the power source is just the GW2 way of explaining why holograms can cause direct harm instead of the classic sci-fi way of very complicated progamming algorithms and advance technology.

Mechanist is the classic Engineer being build their own Robot to fight for or with the Engineer. 

The concept of Technomancer/Technomage is to create technology that allows them to basically use what people perceive as Magic. 

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

6 minutes ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

Those are not Technomancer/TechnoMage as they still do not follow what Technomancer/TechnoMage are.

The Holosmith is a very classic sci-fi power being the Holographic projection causing physical damage. The Magic Crystal being the power source is just the GW2 way of explaining why holograms can cause direct harm instead of the classic sci-fi way of very complicated progamming algorithms and advance technology.

Mechanist is the classic Engineer being build their own Robot to fight for or with the Engineer. 

The concept of Technomancer/Technomage is to create technology that allows them to basically use what people perceive as Magic. 

If the ability to forge light into hard edges to cut your enemies and being able to build a floating robot which can create a protective force shield around itself is not highly advanced enough to get perceived as magic, then please name me an example of something that would be advanced enough for this to apply.

Holosmith and Mechanist, for Guild Wars 2 standards, already have some incredibly advanced tech. I don't want them to aim to always go higher and higher until we are able to alter the fabric of reality itself with our wristwatch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kodama.6453 said:

If the ability to forge light into hard edges to cut your enemies and being able to build a floating robot which can create a protective force shield around itself is not highly advanced enough to get perceived as magic, then please name me an example of something that would be advanced enough for this to apply.

Holosmith and Mechanist, for Guild Wars 2 standards, already have some incredibly advanced tech. I don't want them to aim to always go higher and higher until we are able to alter the fabric of reality itself with our wristwatch.

I think you are greatly misunderstanding what I mean by "perceived as magic". I am talking about the standard of a Sci-fi level setting and not a low technology fantays setting standard. It is not that simple to explain Technomancers/TechnoMages and I don't know if this is your first time learning about Technomancers/TechnoMages or just natural different definition of what a Technomancer/Technomage but I can only explain what Technomancers/TechnoMages are the best I can below.

Yes to lower technology civilization they will perceived it as magic but I am talking about the standard level of a advance civilization with high advance technology they make are normal and the only thing they perceived as magic is something that is believe to be impossible to make happen with technology alone. Holosmith and Mechanist follows the standard normal in a sci-fi setting and not seen as something "perceived as magic" within such setting.

Thus how Technomancer/TechnoMage became a concept in Sci-fi series as the technology is so advance and complicated that they can perform abilities thought to be impossible in a world where Magic and fantasy theme abilites does not exists.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

17 minutes ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

I think you are greatly misunderstanding what I mean by "perceived as magic". I am talking about the standard of a Sci-fi level setting and not a low technology fantays setting standard. It is not that simple to explain Technomancers/TechnoMages and I don't know if this is your first time learning about Technomancers/TechnoMages or just natural different definition of what a Technomancer/Technomage but I can only explain what Technomancers/TechnoMages are the best I can below.

Yes to lower technology civilization they will perceived it as magic but I am talking about the standard level of a advance civilization with high advance technology they make are normal and the only thing they perceived as magic is something that is believe to be impossible to make happen with technology alone. Holosmith and Mechanist follows the standard normal in a sci-fi setting and not seen as something "perceived as magic" within such setting.

Thus how Technomancer/TechnoMage became a concept in Sci-fi series as the technology is so advance and complicated that they can perform abilities thought to be impossible in a world where Magic and fantasy theme abilites does not exists.

But as I said, considering the setting this game is placed in, which is not Sci-Fi, I don't think we should just stack the technological advancements higher and higher until it becomes absolutely ridiculous.

Holosmith and Mechanist are already extremely advanced in technology considering the rest of the world the story takes place in. Not everything the engineer gets needs to be extremely Sci-Fi and over the top.

Edited by Kodama.6453
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

But as I said, considering the setting this game is placed in, which is not Sci-Fi, I don't think we should just stack the technological advancements higher and higher until it becomes absolutely ridiculous.

Holosmith and Mechanist are already extremely advanced in technology considering the rest of the world the story takes place in. Not everything the engineer gets needs to be extremely Sci-Fi and over the top.

I am not asking nor expecting Technomancer Elite Spec to be extremely Sci-fi and over the top.

GW2 actually provides the perfect lore to make Technomancer Elite Spec possible without doing neither of those things due to how technology in GW2 is a combination of magic and technology. It is all about the matter of how the Elite spec will function, origin lore, and chosen play style.

As for what kind of Utility skill a Technomancer/Technomage in GW2 may focus on, the theme about technomancers/Technomage is always about utilizing technology to cast magic so either utility skills being Arcane, Ward, Glyph, or Symbols maybe ideal for Technomancer.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

3 hours ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

After getting two already ski-fi themed specs I would prefer anything, but a technomancer. I want something more grounded and steampunk-ish. I pilotable steam-mech or something alchemical. I am tired of all of those lasers and beams.

Even if it's aesthetically different, a piloted mech just sounds like the mechanics of holosmith and mechanist merged together. You have the alternate form of one with the bulky construct of the other.

Personally, I would prefer for the mechanic to be something that's not a mashup of existing elite specs. Either something that gives you an f5 that you can select from a certain list of abilities, or perhaps a toolbelt where you could select abilities independently of their utility skills.

On 2/16/2022 at 1:35 PM, ThrakathNar.4537 said:

Even if it's aesthetically different, a piloted mech just sounds like the mechanics of holosmith and mechanist merged together. You have the alternate form of one with the bulky construct of the other.

Personally, I would prefer for the mechanic to be something that's not a mashup of existing elite specs. Either something that gives you an f5 that you can select from a certain list of abilities, or perhaps a toolbelt where you could select abilities independently of their utility skills.

It is one reason why I think a wrist launcher Elite spec is one possible Elite Spec for Engineer.

Wrist Launchers is a rather reasonable creating for a fantasy setting since the concept is within possibilities for any civilization. I actually expected Wrist Launcher to be the Elona elite spec due to how low tech they should have been and it would have fit into a more explorer type of Elite Spec for Engineer using the Wrist Launcher as a second tool belt or improved tool belt for either long range combat, close range combat, or for utility to travel.

weapon theme wise, the Wrist Launcher can go with anything they choose for the Elite Spec's weapon of choice in my opinion as it is a rather versatile concept towards how the wrist launcher can function.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284