Lack of animation Flair and execive animation recicling

Hello! i will keep this as simple as possible
in general i like the new elites a some more than others, but what i hate about most of them is how much of recicled animation there is in them, barely any new animation for the classes! don't get me wrong, the particles effect are looking great, great work there, but the character models, constanly recicling and borrowing animations from other classes is getting ridiculous, to the point they kind of loose some of their identity(on the visual aspect at least)

Spoiler

let's take for example, the Specter, ... there is not a single new  weapons kills animation  1 = warrior axe auto attack .  2 is warrior mace wack. 3 dual with dagger is another cloack and dager animation dual skill with gun i know i saw that animation on the other magic classes, but i can't put my finger in it
shadowshroud, deadshroud but with an indigo purple tone, looks nice and all, but ... seriously give it a bit more personality, like when they did reaper srhoud, that thing looks amazing
as for the skill in shroud, 1 is the same of deadshroud, but without the long casting time,  2 is the level up animation, 3 ... is dash form daredevil, 4 is the swipe strike from some of the norn racial skill elite
wells... the healing is the same as the scourge, the other two share the same pose, is nice, but again, repeating.

I mean, this i cantha, the setting based on eastern mithology and culture, give it some flair to all the classes! i mean, i know is a lot to make new animations for every simple skill they have, but at least, do a few , i don't ask for a blade and soul leveles for flair (i woulnd complain tho) but give them some more distinct animations!, i knowa-net can do great animations. but this feels waaay to lazy to give them a pass

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

well, of course, don't get me wrong, there is no need for all classes to have fancy kung fu moves ,  but at least give them something,.i just brought the martial arts just as one example on what they could use as reference for them. there are also traditional dances in those cultures (example, that would fit perfectly the Virtuoso), they could use some of those too, i mean, plenty of examples and references to borrow to make new animations for the models

and i agree, daredevil is great hehe.
is good to see i'm not alone in this!

Edited by The Lag.9742
  • Like 1

To be honest, I don't really mind if they reuse some animations while adding unique visuals in other ways (like how specter gets shadow effects). They've done unique stuff for the classes that really need it, like the new revenant spec or mechanist's golem. You have to keep in mind Gw2 is one of the higher graphics intensive MMOs, and they're designing and making a slew of new maps, new elite specs for all classes with new skills/effects, a full new mount, new strikes, skiffs, and likely tons of new weapon/armor skins behind the scenes. Additionally, there's also the move to DX11, which I think will result in a lot of updated graphics and possibly new animations as well. I would just say be patient and see how things pan out.

Edited by TagIsBad.1350
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

i do have that in mind, don't get me wrong, i wont undermine all the work they are doing, what i saw of the maps, was amazing, all the new stuff looks interesting, all the particle effects looks great, no complains there on the contrary, only praise
but as for the clases, i dare to say 6 out of 9 are completely made with recicled animations. i know, this is probably the least important thing right now ,and i'm being quite nitpicking, i wont deny that, but alt least, a few new animations for the models would have been welcomed for all the classes. (again, some of then did get a bunch of new animations while others are lucky to have 1).

Additionally, there's also the move to DX11, which I think will result in a lot of updated graphics and possibly new animations as well. I would just say be patient and see how things pan out.

In the back of my head part of me hopes that  "may be these are some placeholder animation until some of the new ones are finally done"  And I really really hope you're right
despite this, i know i will enjoy EOD when it finally launches, i just find this it a bit disapointing that all

Edited by The Lag.9742
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Lag.9742 said:

all the particle effects looks great, no complains there on the contrary, only praise

I agree with you about the disappointing animations (and honestly, some of the new ones are looking pretty weird), but I totally disagree about the particles. So many of these new specs completely cover up your character or turn them into an explosion of light and/or farts. It's like the community yelled "Please, we can't see the bosses and mob tells, let us turn off some effects!' and ArenaNet yelled back "What? I can't hear you over the explosive fuses I just lit for EoD!"

Some flash is fine, but I feel like these specs in particular take a bad problem and make it so much worse. It's hard to even remark on the animations when you can't see half of them under all the smoke, gas, and slime - which might have been intended.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1