Bro do we really still not have the option to manually switch instances?

Magek.4718

If you could manually switch instances a raid party could have as example 2000 alegy mosaics in the span of like 1 day. They would just run every instance of all legendary bounties, travel to next area that do so again, the result is no bounties on  every server.

Just imagine how messed up server economy would be, if every person could go do pinta 100 times every 2 hours..... nough said

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I can't take anyone seriously that starts a topic with Bro...

There are obvious reasons that this can not be done many which have already been listed.  Anet does not have unlimited server resources. Heck the WvW community almost took down their servers in the last alliance beta with Edge of the Mists map instances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

what about other groups of players that want their own maps?  Will ArenaNet placate them, as well? 

I mean, the thread's about the desire to look at a list of current instances that exist for a map and choose one by hand instead of using workarounds to achieve the same thing. It has nothing to do with placating groups or making a map of one's own - you could want to rotate between Auric Basin IPs to find a map that's doing the meta. You could want to to spin the wheel to find the map that's at the right part of the event chain you need to do or find the instance where that chain hasn't bugged out indefinitely (looking at you, core Tyria maps).

I would find such a feature useful for RP purposes, but that is not the only practical use.

• Thanks 2

So, what exactly is the difference between the maps listed in the LFG and this other way?  Again, is it believed there will be maps open without sufficient population?  Is it believed there will be some kind of information associated with these maps that aren't already listed in the LFG? 

I just don't understand how it is perceived that this new mechanic will work. 

• Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

So, what exactly is the difference between the maps listed in the LFG and this other way?

One can be done quickly and directly and the other requires coordinating with other players and being at the mercy of someone who may or may not be in the kind of instance you're trying to get to. If no one in LFG is in the instance where the event you want hasn't bugged out, you have a snowball's chance in hell of getting to that instance with the system currently in place; with the other method, you wouldn't have to rely on others to get where you're going.

In essence, manual instance selection is a direct upgrade to the system already in place. The instances already exist (and would close following the same algorithm they currently do), this would just be a more direct method of getting from point a to b.

• Thanks 1

I see.  And how does one know what the status of these other maps/instances are?  Does one believe these preferred maps will stay non-full as they are better?  Does one believe these maps will just automatically be created if the original map(s) are not full? 

It seems players believe these great maps will always be available, when maps are only created when map population dictates that is so.  It's not like ArenaNet's servers will magically know when a map is desired other than the one(s) already in existence.

Just like in Guild Wars, there won't be choices for maps unless the population dictates it.  There will also be no guarantee one will be able to enter said map of choice if it happens to be full/at limit.  For very popular maps, the population will likely change faster than the 'new LFG' can keep up.  And if the map is not that popular, there won't be choices for maps/instances.

Regardless, I'm not convinced it will change any time in the foreseeable future.  Definitely not with End of Dragons. 

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I see.

I hope so, because it's really quite simple. Manual instance selection would keep things exactly the way they already are except you could switch instances at will instead of by chance or workaround. It's literally something you can already do, just with less steps involved. That's why people are asking for it - it's QoL that they've experienced in other games and would like to have here in GW2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 11/2/2021 at 5:33 AM, AusarViled.7106 said:

If you could manually switch instances a raid party could have as example 2000 alegy mosaics in the span of like 1 day. They would just run every instance of all legendary bounties, travel to next area that do so again, the result is no bounties on  every server.

Just imagine how messed up server economy would be, if every person could go do pinta 100 times every 2 hours..... nough said

That used to happen with the Auric Basin meta, when you could taxi between instances to loot reward chests multiple times. They already fixed it years ago.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2021 at 5:05 AM, hudisgreat.8492 said:

I believe there is a roleplay section in the lfg tool. 

In fairness, the LFG tool is not well designed in that you have to expand every category to even see if there's listings there at all. It's pretty clunky because of that, and most people just don't bother with it in the end outside of organizing squads for popular metas and festivals like Silverwastes and the Halloween labyrinth.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Confused 2

I often find myself wishing I was on a different map than the bauble-farmers. Especially in Verdant Brink. The rest of the map is dead and I just want to find a map that has people running around doing events.

But no, every third week I leave Verdant Brink because it becomes a wasteland aside from the starting waypoint, and a complete bore therefore.

Being able to select maps would at least get rid of the eyesore that is the mountain of corpses at the entrance.

• Like 1

I think you mean joining a different shard of an open world map.

There is an option to change shards. 
You need to be in a party or squad with someone in the shard you want to join and then you can right-click his name and choose "join in".

The main issue people have is that this often does not work as they want to do it with popular shards.
I think two things should be explained better here.
First is how the dynamics of shards work. Shards are created and abanded on demand. So if a map gains popularity, there is a new shard created. When popularity drops, some shards are drained and closed down. For the shards that are active and not in drain, there is a balance going on. This is in place so the player base is evenly distributed. So a popular shard with an active commander will rapidly become full as it has too many players in it.

I would suggest a few solutions to this issues.

1: when someone is tagged up and joins a map, it is placed in the shard with the least amount of people. When someone tags up in a map, it will get an option to move to a lesser crowded shard if available.
This allows for commanders using the LFG as a way to gain squadmembers to have an option to go for a shard with more room for players to join.
2: Do not mark ashard as full when using the join in option unless the absolute max is reached for what a shardcan handle. So a shard can gain two statusses for full
a: Full due to autobalance - not available for new people joining the map - option to join in is still available.
b: Full - not available at all: It is not possible to join in.
3: Adjust max squad size to match the max amount of people in the shard
So e.g. in the mad kings labyrinth, if the max amount of people in a copy is 35, the max squad size should be adjusted to 35 as well.
4: when people fail to join in when full, the squad leader gets a message as well. If applicable, he also gets an option to move to a different shard with less people (and even a new one).
5: When a squadleader moves to a new shard, all players get a popup if they want to join in the new shard.

• Confused 3