Follow Square Enix on Banning Content Clears for Gold, Please ANET

Charall.4710

6 hours ago, Dravvi.3146 said:

Even if just to ensure that players feel more like their attempts are more valuable than their gold and to clean up the raids section or even the fractals section in some instances. This has been a major issue since HoT.

I don't see why people selling raids is "a major issue". What negative effect has that on you?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Do you honestly want to do raid runs with people who’d rather buy their way through? Do you anticipate that would be a good experience for either of you?

No…. The OP is likely upset that there isn’t room in those party’s for him because someone paying gold for it is taking it…

What that poster likely doesn’t understand is if he can’t get into a raid run now, he wouldn’t in his scenario either.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Yes, because when you buy gems with real life money, the money goes to ArenaNet. When you use real life money to pay someone directly for an in-game service, the money does not go to ArenaNet - that's the difference. There's theft/fraud/economic heckery to consider when gauging why RMT is bad, but the primary reason it's not allowed is because it cuts into company profits.

Its actually the same service if you think about it 🙂  imagine an item in gemstore called "Raid Pass" that you could buy for 900gems and it allows you to pick 3 skins from raids of your choosing no one will complain because  Credit card out and since its Anet pocket is legal.

Lets turn the situation now, you buy the same token from exterior source same cost same item, but then you get banned for not buying it from Anet. Is that really a justification of why it is illegal? The truth is no, all they care is about money and their pocket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I dont see this being a service to anyone to be honest.. I've never paid for clears, if I cant clear it, I cant clear it. It doesn't bother me that some would want the rewards even if they cant actually do the content, because that reward is almost always untradeable.

I dont think it would benefit raids, or fractals communities in any way. If anything that might just kill a part of the remaining interest there is in that content, contrary to actually promoting it in the case of raids. 

"You're already down in the hole, lemme fill it up for ya" if I were to exagerate what it looks to me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Dravvi.3146 said:

disincentivize joining a legit group.

A raid selling group is a legit group. Also, as someone already pointed out, i'm quite sure that you yourself aren't running an "all welcome" group and that's because you would not want to see those players in your group.

And no, if you think that, if raid selling were to be made illegal, those very same raid sellers would happily carry you through content without asking for anything in return (and without requiring KPs you don't have), you can think again.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, keykey.9182 said:

Is that really a justification of why it is illegal?

Yes. It is. Notice, that "illegal" in context of the game is not really illegal, but rather "activities the game producer does not like". Players spending RL money on a game is something that game producers do like - but only when that money goes to them, and not someone else. There's nothing moral about it, it's just business.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, keykey.9182 said:

Its actually the same service if you think about it 🙂  imagine an item in gemstore called "Raid Pass" that you could buy for 900gems and it allows you to pick 3 skins from raids of your choosing no one will complain because  Credit card out and since its Anet pocket is legal.

Lets turn the situation now, you buy the same token from exterior source same cost same item, but then you get banned for not buying it from Anet. Is that really a justification of why it is illegal? The truth is no, all they care is about money and their pocket.

Absolutely, it is justification for being illegal.  Theft is always illegal.  Pretty sure anyone would not care for others to get paid for their work, and they get nothing. 

15 hours ago, Dravvi.3146 said:

PS. If you wonder what I am talking about, check the LFG Raids Section and you will see the problem at hand.

Policy: Buying and Selling Runs

-

Regarding the standard answer to most topics questioning legal issues: "If it does not harm YOU, it is legal!"

There are a lot of things that do not harm other players but are against the rules. If you want to spam that line like crazy, go for it. But keep in mind that this is not a free pass for breaking everything. 

• Like 1

Recently on FFXIV there was a update to their prohibited activities policy where part of their policy showed an example of what is a bannable offense, something I personally agree with 100%. 

I am of the very strong and clear opinion that you should be earning your achievements and clears in guild wars 2 naturally, making it something you strive for not pay for with gold. I get that you can change gems into gold but that should not mean you buy a couple of gem cards or whatever and transfer them into gold to buy a raid clear for your legendary armor or achievements, this makes those who actually honestly earn their armor and stuff of that nature feel like their attempts were trivial.

To date I've earned every bit of everything I ever got and this is why I even struggle with things such as certain bits of content, since I refuse to pay anyone to help me with it or to get a clear for something. The idea of honestly progressing your character should be what all players strive for, heres the prohibited activities update that really.. Anet needs to update to get rid of those selling runs for gold.

Examples of violations:
- Selling [duty] clear for 1 million gil.
- Selling [duty] clear and/or offering the associated rewards from [content]. Join for more info/details.

PS. If you wonder what I am talking about, check the LFG Raids Section and you will see the problem at hand.

you do realize you have the option of not buying runs right ? telling others what they can and cant do is highly self centered of you.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Dravvi.3146 said:

The idea of honestly progressing your character should be what all players strive for

I agree that it is not good to pay for progression, ie pay to win. But this part is just your subjective opinion of how you want to play the game/what YOU aspire to. Some people just (dont have enough time and) take shorcuts. I barely play few hours a week so I can understand why someone would like to fast forward. 🙂

• Like 1

Ok let's assume for a moment paying to clear raid doesnt encourage people to actually find a group and clear the raid themselve. If it is proven true my first option would not to ban those kind of service but rather to find ways to encourage people to play raid. I know I would try to do raid but my timezone isnt ideal to find group willing to takes newbies. And raid look daunting for new player since there's no "T1 raid" just like T1 Fractal that serves as an introduction to raid. But this is going off topic so I'll stop there.

Point is, these achievement are just.....achievement. I'm not suddently going to become the master of X or Y. If I dont like doing a JP and there's a player who's willing to offer a TP to the chest, I'll just use it and give that person a gold for its service. I have my achievement, the person get a small thanks token, none of us broke any rule and we're all happy.

• Like 1

I made a ton of gold selling FoW runs in gw1. I madeca ton of gold teaching people how to target spiders in the cave in FoW in gw1.  Yet I was horrible at underworld. I paid for my uw clear. Some people don't have the time energy skill or a combo of the 3. " you can always learn" is a very common argument.  It's not that simple. Again. Time. Skill. Energy. Not everyone had them. So the best option is to buy the runs. It's not your or anyone else's business how people play the game. And you have no right to demand anet or anyone else to change their way of playing just because you have some honor code znd you don't think it's right. Deal with it or don't. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, starhunter.6015 said:

As long as they pay with in game currency it is allowed, Anet only frowns upon any Real currency trading . 

Actually, Anet does say that the fact, you get paid with gold, is only allowed, if the gold you were paid in is not from an illegal source or activity (hacked account, bots, etc.). Anet can see to some extent, were the gold is coming from and in such a case also the player paid with this gold could be in trouble.

• Like 1

They are one in the same, RMT contributes to the selling raids for gold. Why do you think we still have a RMT issue? There has to be a profit in it, otherwise it would fade.

Of course there is a profit in RMT. Accounts were hacked massively, all items from these accounts are sold and then the gold from these accounts is transferred to other accounts that are selling this gold for real money and the hackers are paid with real money.  It is a low-life form of organized crime. Anet itself said some time ago that this is the (main) reason why RMT is not allowed, because RMT leads to hacking.

Edited by Zok.4956

Win-Loss Analysis

Wins: people selling content completion gain gold; people buying content completion gain whatever the virtual rewards are.

Loss: people who want to feel like their own completion of that content puts them into some sort of special category may feel their completion is cheapened by knowing that someone else might have gotten the same without demonstrating the in-game chops to "earn" it.  I say "may" because unless someone who is visibly sporting the [whatever-visible-sign-is-involved] tells them they bought it, how do they know?

To me, the satisfaction gained by both sellers and buyers is based on something more concrete than the possible dissatisfaction based on a belief that might not be true.

Conclusion: While I see the problem, I'd be more in favor of letting the practice continue based on concrete benefits for those engaging in the practice versus ephemeral upset by those who are not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

You can ban advertising in LFG but all that will do is drive the practice underground. There's no way for anet to police such a policy so why bother?

Yes, you would just remove the entries from the LFG.

And that's all that's needed.  It can't be stopped, but it's bad optics and discourages new players into thinking they need either inordinate  amounts of KP or to farm to pay for runs.

Getting them out of the LFG is all that can be done, so that's all that should be done.

• Confused 1

If they ban, it would kill that content more faster... its whats maintain some "economy", and high end players playing that content.

In other side, the content sell economy, is whats create the catch-22 killing the content on long term, the experts selling content, inst interested in teach new players...

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Confused 3