Should GW2 Double Down on Strikes?

Since Strikes first released, I've never seen the LFG tool teeming with eager beavers looking to run them. I've always felt that Strikes, like Raids and Bounty Boards, were a neat idea on paper, but have difficult buy-in for the core GW2 audience. By comparison, open world events are hugely popular. Core Tyria world boss events always have huge groups show up, even after all these years.

Does that mean Strikes 2.0 is doomed to fail? Well, my honest opinion is that depends on just how much ArenaNet is going to actually invest into this "2.0" initiative. I absolutely love Trials in FF14. They are similar to Strikes in GW2 except for one important thing. They have presentation. From cool level designs, to audio, to music, to combat. From Shiva's Absolute Zero attack, to Ravana's voice and sword play, Titan's hilarious sumo fight, the amazing Good King Moggle Mog, may he forever reign, and the Judgment moment from the Alexander: The Burden of the Father raid (it's called a "Raid", but plays like a Strike). It all just feels really good to immerse yourself into those battles countless number of times. I don't do them for currency rewards because the experience is the reward.

I don't get those vibes from the current GW2 Strikes as they're boring DPS burns on small or otherwise uninteresting characters. But now we have this "Strikes 2.0" posted by Cameron Rich. The article focuses only on quality of life changes such as offering tiers of challenge (probably similar to FF14 "Hard" vs "Extreme" modes) and standardizing currency (again, similar to FF14 Poetics currency). So it seems to me that ArenaNet is looking at how other games do it and are attempting to match (still no topic of matchmaking though, which I think is instrumental for Strike 2.0 success). Will Strikes 2.0 go above and beyond that? Can GW2 match FF14 presentation? If Strikes 2.0 can meet the quality of boss fights like Mouth of Mordremoth, then I could see the attraction there. If it's the same deal with only QoL changes though... Maybe not so successful.

That's just my 2.0 cents. What about you?

Edited by Nate.8146
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Every time I want to do a strike mission, the LFG and public instances are ghost towns, even during the weeks that a strike is 'priority' and even now during the 'return to' highlight weeks. For science, I've started LFG strike parties and watched them go unfilled for upwards of 40 minutes during peak playtimes. Everyone in my guilds and friend groups are openly telling me they'll do the strikes 'when they're in the mood' and aren't showing the same urgency to do them that openworld content gets. Best guess? Strikes feel like a chore compared to other content.

I don't have this problem when I want to do a dungeon, fractal, meta event, world boss, or even Forging Steel, so something's not right with strikes. If EoD doubles, triples, or quadruples down and introduces more of this stuff, I anticipate we'll see the same community response.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Just read the next sentence in the post you quoted.

Sorry about that. :classic_blush:

Are you on US or EU?

Edit @ confused people: Preferences on content and many other things differ between the US and the EU servers. You rarely have trouble filling a strike squad on EU servers.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

The only thing I have an "issue" with is the weird split between fractals and strikes. I mean, they had the infrastructure there. They could have split it into 5 man fractals and 10 man fractals. We didnt really need "strikes". We didnt really "raids" either - it could have all been baked into the fractal design. It already took over from dungeons.

But I guess Anet need to satisfy PvEr with just more and more and more and more. Meanwhile they cant fix one broken 2x2x4 meter asset in WvW for 5 years, uhum.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

I’m a veteran mmo player (been playing mmos for decades and now have busy job, kids, yard to maintain, etc.) and GW2 is the only mmo I still play due to the casual overall nature of the game and I can enjoy content anytime of the day, even odd hours.

That being said, Strikes are usually dead when I have time to join one and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of PUGs for them, or people looking to join, even though they’re generally very pug-able. I imagine it’s that the rewards aren’t worth it for most players and (I assume) the content isn’t enjoyable enough for people to join out of fun, due to instanced content losing its appeal after a dozen or so runs.

Better rewards is tough in GW2, I can only imagine legendary armor would make it worthwhile for players that already have multiple full ascended sets. Maybe that’s what’s coming?

Edited by Monarc.9726
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Monarc.9726 said:

I’m a veteran mmo player (been playing mmos for decades and now have busy job, kids, yard to maintain, etc.) and GW2 is the only mmo I still play due to the casual overall nature of the game and I can enjoy content anytime of the day, even odd hours.

That being said, Strikes are usually dead when I have time to join one and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of PUGs for them, or people looking to join, even though they’re generally very pug-able. I imagine it’s that the rewards aren’t worth it for most players and (I assume) the content isn’t enjoyable enough for people to join out of fun, due to instanced content losing its appeal after a dozen or so runs.

Better rewards is tough in GW2, I can only imagine legendary armor would make it worthwhile for players that already have multiple full ascended sets. Maybe that’s what’s coming?

I don’t expect new armor sets, I know they already capitulated on their ‘there will be no more legendary armor sets!!!’ Statement with the addition of the PvP/WvW sets, but I think we’d have heard something by now if there was gonna be new ones in EoD, at least at launch.

I wouldn’t mind eventual access to legendary gear through strikes though. Maybe a rebreather, or even better- infusions 

12 minutes ago, genjonah.1253 said:

I don’t expect new armor sets, I know they already capitulated on their ‘there will be no more legendary armor sets!!!’ Statement with the addition of the PvP/WvW sets, but I think we’d have heard something by now if there was gonna be new ones in EoD, at least at launch.

I wouldn’t mind eventual access to legendary gear through strikes though. Maybe a rebreather, or even better- infusions 

Right. Maybe not new sets, but a way of earning the current ones. Or maybe even just legendary trinket access. I don’t see it happening either, just wishful thinking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I like open world the best.

Strikes are fine. And new ones are welcome.

Dungeons were a big miss in GW2. It would be nice to see a future expansion focused around them like Eye of the North did.

The dungeons of Eye of the North were great. ArenaNet really showed what can be done with them. Linear adventures that were solo-able with heroes and not too many weird mechanics. Challenging but could be made easier with consets or ursan blessing in the time that ursanway was a thing. Not different paths but different dungeons. Each with a distinct style, challenge and depth.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
Iterative writing
  • Like 5

I like strikes and I like raids, I even like dungeons but anet gives little incentive to run them. I think people need to broaden their playstyles and step out of their comfort zones. I would be bored to death in a game if all I ever did was one type of gameplay. Its boring, maybe monday i want to do strikes, tuesday I do raids, Wednesday fracts, thursday meta events, friday wvw ect . Mix it up dont get stuck in a rut I see so many players in gw2 saying they are bored then going out and doing the same thing everyday. Also LFG is there use it, i cant count the number of times people will stand around a dungeon daily, not taking the initiative to form a group. Dont be shy just do it. If more people would get out there in LFG the world of tyria would be a better place.  

A game needs variety in game modes or it will stagnate, and developers need to put effort into all game modes in their game, or they will start culling back and thats not healthy for any game. 

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Borked.6824 said:

I reluctantly have little interest in Strikes, or any organized group content for that matter, simply because my schedule can't commit to fixities or blocks of time.  Open world treats me just fine.

here is the thing though, you dont need to schedule anything. Last night I felt like doing some raiding, so I just hit up LFG did some bosses and went on my way. No one has to commit if they dont want too, but it hurts nothing to try them at you leisure. Just like anything else you do it learn it and it becomes easy to finish wings in no time. There is some phobia or fear people have about raiding that dont need to be, once you see the boss and figure out what to avoid the battle is won.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

here is the thing though, you dont need to schedule anything. Last night I felt like doing some raiding, so I just hit up LFG did some bosses and went on my way. No one has to commit if they dont want too, but it hurts nothing to try them at you leisure. Just like anything else you do it learn it and it becomes easy to finish wings in no time. There is some phobia or fear people have about raiding that dont need to be, once you see the boss and figure out what to avoid the battle is won.  

That's encouraging.  I actually started back up with GW2 about 6 months ago, and I'll be honest, the game and its resources do not do a very good job of clearly preparing folks for what to expect, socially.  I actually have a history of hardcore raiding in other games, just for the record, so it's less an issue of cold feet.  These days I automatically assume things like Strikes/Raids that's not insular (with friends) is going to be a wild card commitment of time and wits.  Even still, I firmly see the strength/distinction of GW2 is not in its instanced content, which is one of the core reasons I play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, ardhikaizecson.3697 said:

lackluster reward is what turn them off, same with raid, how come you attempt killing a raid boss yet you only get 2 gold for the effort and 1 exotic 1 yellow 2 blues 3 greens.

If it rewared to much people would complained that they felt forced to do it for the boss rewards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

imho.. Strikes can be good... if they're built well.

GW2 needs a end game Content type cull in PvE.

Dungeons, Fractals,  Strikes, DRMs, Raids... its no wonder it feels empty realistically theres too many content types splitting players between as of currently. like it needs a Easier to navigate format.

Imho i think the strongest method would be

Story Dungeons - Rebuild Fractals to Exist as Difficulties on each Dungeon (1-50 as a example) so Fractals Would retain with AR etc etc Just that'd its accessed by a dungeon entrance and not in the mists 😛

Story Strikes - Normal Strikes (Raid) - Challange Mode Strikes (Hard raid)

this format. would make adding Difficulties and content Easier, cheaper and more efficent as it'll Reuse already existing Assets to create New Content for PvE End game players, which should support them in being able to release content more regularly.

this will make end game easier to navigate. Want 5 man content go Do Dungeons and go onto Fractals

Want Raids go onto Strikes and progress the difficulty settings.

• Confused 1

Didn't like the strikes at all.  Finished the achievements and never looked back.   I found them boring.   Anet is doubling down on something that the player base looks to have rejected by the lack of participation (anecdotal observation of LFG).  Maybe they'll have something good, but I won't be surprised if, they too, quickly become a ghost town. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Daddy.8125 said:

imho.. Strikes can be good... if they're built well.

GW2 needs a end game Content type cull in PvE.

Dungeons, Fractals,  Strikes, DRMs, Raids... its no wonder it feels empty realistically theres too many content types splitting players between as of currently. like it needs a Easier to navigate format.

Imho i think the strongest method would be

Story Dungeons - Rebuild Fractals to Exist as Difficulties on each Dungeon (1-50 as a example) so Fractals Would retain with AR etc etc Just that'd its accessed by a dungeon entrance and not in the mists 😛

Story Strikes - Normal Strikes (Raid) - Challange Mode Strikes (Hard raid)

this format. would make adding Difficulties and content Easier, cheaper and more efficent as it'll Reuse already existing Assets to create New Content for PvE End game players, which should support them in being able to release content more regularly.

this will make end game easier to navigate. Want 5 man content go Do Dungeons and go onto Fractals

Want Raids go onto Strikes and progress the difficulty settings.

Strikes will never fill raids shoes. I think the raid community will leave if all they get are simple strikes. People dont play them much as it is. The problem with GW2 is they built a raid system that invited a lot of raiders to the game, now they turn away from raids like they did dungeons. The thing is raiders are raiders they want that end content to compete against so you built up a raid community and now are going to destroy it. GW2 should have stayed in the open world mode it was in if they were going to abandon raids.  If people dont want to raid because of some preconceived notion of elitism and toxic community then nothing will change that, so why put effort into a gamemode the majority of their base is not interested in. But really the majority of their base dont do strikes, dont do fracts, dont do dungeons, dont do raids, dont do spvp...so what does that leave? Open world and LWS, some wvw unless they leave that by the wayside too. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Strikes will never fill raids shoes. I think the raid community will leave if all they get are simple strikes. People dont play them much as it is. The problem with GW2 is they built a raid system that invited a lot of raiders to the game, now they turn away from raids like they did dungeons. The thing is raiders are raiders they want that end content to compete against so you built up a raid community and now are going to destroy it. GW2 should have stayed in the open world mode it was in if they were going to abandon raids.  If people dont want to raid because of some preconceived notion of elitism and toxic community then nothing will change that, so why put effort into a gamemode the majority of their base is not interested in. But really the majority of their base dont do strikes, dont do fracts, dont do dungeons, dont do raids, dont do spvp...so what does that leave? Open world and LWS, some wvw unless they leave that by the wayside too. 

Why do u think they can't? And how do u know they will be simple?. 

U can't based EoDs strikes on PoFs.. lol. 

And community? Abandon?. The game has barely any raiding community. U haven't had a raid in how long? Lmao? 

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Depends what you prefer.  I think that looking at quantity, Strikes are inferior to both fractals and raids, since a strike is only a single fight in a single room, and both fractals and raids have multiple fights in multiple rooms/environments. The exception would be if Strikes being a single fight in a single room means Anet can churn out new decent quality Strikes at a much faster rate than they could with fractals/raids.

Qualitywise it would depend on how good they would make the fights from a mechanical viewpoint. They need to be of top-tier quality if they want to become superior to raids or fractals. That means these Strikes need to perform on a level above the Strikes that are currently in the game. The only strike that you could deem as potentially interesting is Whisper of Jormag, which I felt was the only one that performed the job that Strikes had (stepping stone between open world/dungeons and raids/high end fractals) with its multiple mechanics. Unfortunately Whisper is also still bugged to hell and back.

• Like 1

I think we'll find out how viable it is once we see what the rewards are life and if the story version has the same mechanics as the normal version just scaled much lower. It really needs difficulty tiers to help new players learn and keep the high tier population healthy like it is in fractals.

• Thanks 2