Catalyst Redesign Suggestions:

Lynx.9058

Here's what I'd like to see changed, based on what we saw in the beta:

1. All atunements changed to melee range, rather than fire/air being 600 range.  We're supposed to be using all four atunements, and having them at different ranges just feels awkward and poorly designed.
  2. Remove Hammer 3 (circular projectiles) and jade sphere (F5).  Replace Hammer 3 with a utility/support ability for each atunement: an aoe heal for water, burn/vulnerability for fire, blind for air, and bleed/stun or knockdown for earth.
  3. Make Circular projectiles (what was hammer 3) the new F5 ability.  Increase the duration for each projectile to 8-10 seconds, remove the 'finisher' that sends them all at one target, and simply keep it so that once you have all 4 up using the F5 on any atunement refreshes all of them.
  4. Circular projectiles, as the new class mechanic, become the defining trait of catalyst: You're a melee support auramancer.  Each elemental projectile you have active provides boons and auras to allies within the radius, and deals damage and applies conditions to enemies within the radius.
    1. Fire Sphere: Each interval, grant allies within the area fire aura and might, deal damage to enemies in the area and apply burning.
    2. Water Sphere: Each interval, cleanse one condition from allies in the area and grant frost aura.  Deal damage and chill enemies in the area.
    3. Air Sphere: Each interval, grant swiftness and superspeed to allies in the area and grant shocking aura.  Deal damage and apply vulnerability to enemies.
    4. Earth Sphere: Each interval, grants protection and stability and magnetic aura to allies in the area.  Deal damage and apply bleeding to enemies.

Ultimately the idea is to turn catalyst into a melee support auramancer: you're constantly applying boons to allies and conditions to enemies, while freeing up your carpal tunnel plagued hands from the piano playing of other elementalist specs to be a simple brawler.  It doesn't need to be the toughest or highest damage spec if it offers something worthwhile to group play, and can still buff itself enough to deal with solo content.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

my idea for catalyst would to be full on diving into the combo system. especially with the recent rework where ones own fields take priority.

f5 would remain jade orb, but no longer has an energy upkeep. now lasts 30 seconds, follows the player like scrapper gyros and builds energy as you do damage and swap attunements to build up to something like a warriors burst (maybe like some kind of super combo finisher so it doesnt come off like tempest overloads) .

hammer changes would to be to standardize the range to 600 range (i feel that is a fair range for hammer to be), add in more combo finishers, and to remove the orbs from the hammer (move those over to weaver weave self elite, ele elites need a lot of love)

augments changes would to be to trash them. some of the effects on them are nice but half the kit of them being reliant on your jade sphere being up, you in the jade sphere, and being a specific attunement feels way to cumbersome for someone who is already juggling 20 weapon skills. i would replace them with consecrations, each with having a specific combo finisher. for example, lightning one would launch you towards your target location dealing damage and activating a leap finisher.

trait changes would mostly do with changing the aura traits to combo based traits. i felt like the mid-line traits were alright, and the bottom line traits were going in the right direction. for the bottom line i would open up the possibility of playing a support catalyst more increasing the ability to apply more boons and even barrier.

• Like 3

My ideas and wishes:

1. Get rid of the energy mechanic for the Jade Sphere.

2. Adjust stats for F5 to compensate (e.g. duration 10 seconds / recharge 15 seconds; Players with Arcane trait line should be able to keep up the Sphere, IMO); check values of duration / recharge for balance

3.  Increase damage coefficient of the #3 circling hammers to make them deal 20% more damage. check values for balance

4.  Augments need so much work ... Make current additional effects for being the in "mirroring atunement" baseline; Add extra stuff to them, like a reveal to Air, Boon corrupt to Earth, Stun break to Water, Evasion Heal etc.

5. Elite skill recharge reduced to 30 to make it remotely useful?

Personally:

1- I don't think changing hammer "range" is needed. If anything, increasing the 600 range skills to 750 or even 900 would be a better option than going for a "full melee range hammer".

2- I do agree, yet disagree. Ideally, switching attunment should proc a sphere of the attunment you just entered revolving around the catalyst. F5 can be the release of the spheres proc'ed. The revolving projectile's damage would need to be tuned down thought

3- Replace the hammer 3 skills by elemental traps (classified as traps, no reason elementalist cant have fun abusing trapper runes).

4- Change "augments" to "preparations" or whatever. Anything but a poor excuse of a stance that's already been given to the previous e-spec.

5- Make Elemental empowerment, hardened aura and empowering aura scale based on the number of projectiles revolving around the catalyst instead of doing it on "auras". (even if it mean to scale down everything to 4-8% instead of 5-10%)

6- The revolving projectiles could provide allies with the boons that the F5 provide at the moment.

My personal grip with catalyst is the F5 in it's current form and the heavy focus on auras. We do have tempest that focus on aura, no more focus on aura please! I'm ok with the incensitive to often switch attunments but as it is the spec is a weirb combination of tempest and weaver that would lack refining and have a focus on aura that just hinder it more than it make it exciting.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 10:38 AM, Dadnir.5038 said:

Personally:

1- I don't think changing hammer "range" is needed. If anything, increasing the 600 range skills to 750 or even 900 would be a better option than going for a "full melee range hammer".

2- I do agree, yet disagree. Ideally, switching attunment should proc a sphere of the attunment you just entered revolving around the catalyst. F5 can be the release of the spheres proc'ed. The revolving projectile's damage would need to be tuned down thought

3- Replace the hammer 3 skills by elemental traps (classified as traps, no reason elementalist cant have fun abusing trapper runes).

4- Change "augments" to "preparations" or whatever. Anything but a poor excuse of a stance that's already been given to the previous e-spec.

5- Make Elemental empowerment, hardened aura and empowering aura scale based on the number of projectiles revolving around the catalyst instead of doing it on "auras". (even if it mean to scale down everything to 4-8% instead of 5-10%)

6- The revolving projectiles could provide allies with the boons that the F5 provide at the moment.

My personal grip with catalyst is the F5 in it's current form and the heavy focus on auras. We do have tempest that focus on aura, no more focus on aura please! I'm ok with the incensitive to often switch attunments but as it is the spec is a weirb combination of tempest and weaver that would lack refining and have a focus on aura that just hinder it more than it make it exciting.

I like it.  I hate how they set up jade sphere and really think the circling projectiles should be the catalyst's mechanic/focus.  Changing the boons and such over to those, and putting the 'send them all at a target to F him up' on the F5 instead of this dysfunctional jade sphere would be a much better way of going about things.

My main issue with hammer having range is... it's a hammer.  GW2 is about the only game I know of that gives people long range options when using melee-centric weapons and it bugs the hell out of my OCD.  If you're wielding a hammer you should be hitting people with it, not using it like some overweight wand.