New Player that got the game from Prime

Heroik.4956

Hello everyone, I am a totally new player that got the Core version of the game on Prime Gaming, are there any new tips for beginners and is it true that the free trial version player can't post on this forum, since I plan on getting my friends to join too and they are quite active on forums. Thank you very much !

2 hours ago, Heroik.4956 said:

Hello everyone, I am a totally new player that got the Core version of the game on Prime Gaming, are there any new tips for beginners and is it true that the free trial version player can't post on this forum, since I plan on getting my friends to join too and they are quite active on forums. Thank you very much !

Yes, free accounts can't post on the forums. Your Prime gaming "purchase" probably changed that for you if you only have Core.

Some advice? Probably don't roam the forums too much, just play the game. 

More advice:

Pretty good advice all around, not just for new players.

This is in the video but it bears repeating since you mentioned friends.

Pick the same server! You might down the line want to play WvW together and possibly couldn't due to being on different servers. For everything else your server doesn't matter (only region) but for this it does so make sure you have that part covered just in case.

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 1

If you manage to get your friends interested in playing, it's worth a try to make use of the Prime Gaming offer before it runs out. That is, if your friends are inclined to subscribe (if they aren't already) to Amazon Prime for a month to be eligible for the game code. The free version is pretty generous, as far as trials go, anyway. It's the same, content-wise, as your Heroic Edition but it comes with limitations that some might view as too restrictive.

Check out what the wiki has on Free Accounts. (And yes, one of the restrictions is posting on the official forum.)

Also, welcome to Guild Wars 2! I hope you'll have a wonderful time in game.

Also, if you weren't aware, the game's story has content that goes in between expansions called Living World. There are 4 of them in total; 2, 3, 4, and Icebrood Saga, and none of them are bundled in when you buy the expansions, so you'd have to make separate purchases (or exchange gold to gems and buy that way) if you want that content. Season 1 was limited-time only and unavailable, although a summary recap is available when you finish the core campaign.

If any of your friends care about story in games, they'll want to know about that going in, because you're going to have some context-whiplash moments if you try to go Core -> HoT -> PoF like you'd might expect.

Edited by Sarm.5923
  • Thanks 1

So we have to purchase in-game storylines as it progresses but the main storyline is free right? Do we have a guidelines of how to do the story in order so we know which storyline to purchase? Because it sounds confusing at this moment for me haha.

What do you mean by whiplash moments, does that mean Core has storyline difference from f2p?

9 hours ago, Sarm.5923 said:

If any of your friends care about story in games, they'll want to know about that going in, because you're going to have some context-whiplash moments if you try to go Core -> HoT -> PoF like you'd might expect.

1 hour ago, Aelius.1624 said:

So we have to purchase in-game storylines as it progresses but the main storyline is free right? Do we have a guidelines of how to do the story in order so we know which storyline to purchase? Because it sounds confusing at this moment for me haha.

What do you mean by whiplash moments, does that mean Core has storyline difference from f2p?

The timeline is:

Core -> Season 1 (unplayable) -> Season 2 -> Heart of Thorns -> Season 3 -> Path of Fire -> Season 4 -> Icebrood Saga

By "whiplash moments" i think he means that, there's some characters that appear in seasons that are introduced there, and then show up in expansions being all buddy with your character, and if you don't know who they are, it's a bit jarring.

That's unfortunately inescapable because they were all introduced in Season 1, and you're supposed to know them by  Season 2 already. 

There's also some events referenced that you won't know what they're talking about if you didn't play them.

My recommendation would be to skip Season 2 entirely. It's the worst of them, imo very boring and not worth it.

There's nothing really happening in it, you're figuring out who the big bad is in HoT, that's pretty much it. But you already know who it is so... There's also minimum stuff referenced from Season 2 in further story so you won't miss much, if anything.

You can safely go:

Core -> Heart of Thorns -> Season 3 -> Path of Fire -> Season 4 -> Icebrood Saga

Then if you really want, you can go play season 2 as kind of a "prequel released later" thing. But i got it for free when they were in "return to" cycle, and well, i couldn't wait for it to be over, it's not that good.

Also, DO NOT skip Season 4, it's the best one, and it's amazing! Their best work yet! 

I hope that clarifies it a bit.

• Like 3

Thanks, this does clarifies the doubts that i had. 

2 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

The timeline is:

Core -> Season 1 (unplayable) -> Season 2 -> Heart of Thorns -> Season 3 -> Path of Fire -> Season 4 -> Icebrood Saga

By "whiplash moments" i think he means that, there's some characters that appear in seasons that are introduced there, and then show up in expansions being all buddy with your character, and if you don't know who they are, it's a bit jarring.

That's unfortunately inescapable because they were all introduced in Season 1, and you're supposed to know them by  Season 2 already. 

There's also some events referenced that you won't know what they're talking about if you didn't play them.

My recommendation would be to skip Season 2 entirely. It's the worst of them, imo very boring and not worth it.

There's nothing really happening in it, you're figuring out who the big bad is in HoT, that's pretty much it. But you already know who it is so... There's also minimum stuff referenced from Season 2 in further story so you won't miss much, if anything.

You can safely go:

Core -> Heart of Thorns -> Season 3 -> Path of Fire -> Season 4 -> Icebrood Saga

Then if you really want, you can go play season 2 as kind of a "prequel released later" thing. But i got it for free when they were in "return to" cycle, and well, i couldn't wait for it to be over, it's not that good.

Also, DO NOT skip Season 4, it's the best one, and it's amazing! Their best work yet! 

I hope that clarifies it a bit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Here are some other resources:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/new-player-guide

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Extended_Online_Manual

In-game you can look at your 'Story Journal' tab to know the order of any parts of the Story.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

Haha thanks for the links! 

And a hidden hint that will make your life so much better in game.  you can type /wiki (something) in the chat window and it will open your web browser to the GW2 wiki for whatever you put in place of (something).  Shift-left clicking on an item in your inventory will put that item in the chat window (referred to as 'pinging' the item) and that will work with the /wiki command too.  So typing:  /wiki et

in your chat window will bring up the game event timer page in the wiki.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.294 said:

And a hidden hint that will make your life so much better in game.  you can type /wiki (something) in the chat window and it will open your web browser to the GW2 wiki for whatever you put in place of (something).  Shift-left clicking on an item in your inventory will put that item in the chat window (referred to as 'pinging' the item) and that will work with the /wiki command too.  So typing:  /wiki et

in your chat window will bring up the game event timer page in the wiki.

Someone mentioned this in the Discord but i forgot! Yes another useful tool. I will take note of this, normally i have the habit of just whipping out my browser because of other games.😂 Out of habit

Oh yeah. You're going to be salvaging a -lot- of gear throughout the game, so one thing you can do is right-click a salvage kit and select options to automatically dismantle everything in your inventory that's blue/green and below. You can also right-click stacks of unidentified gear to automatically reveal them all at once, provided you have the inventory space for everything.

Rapid-salvaging in this way priorities items from left to right, top to bottom. So if you're a little crunched on room and have way more than 25 items to break at a time, move any unidentified stuff to the very last inventory slots, autobreak what's available, then continue IDing more. Just make sure you leave yourself a couple of empty slots so you don't risk becoming encumbered and getting stuck trying to awkwardly sell stuff for space.

3 minutes ago, Sarm.5923 said:

Oh yeah. You're going to be salvaging a -lot- of gear throughout the game, so one thing you can do is right-click a salvage kit and select options to automatically dismantle everything in your inventory that's blue/green and below. You can also right-click stacks of unidentified gear to automatically reveal them all at once, provided you have the inventory space for everything.

Rapid-salvaging in this way priorities items from left to right, top to bottom. So if you're a little crunched on room and have way more than 25 items to break at a time, move any unidentified stuff to the very last inventory slots, autobreak what's available, then continue IDing more. Just make sure you leave yourself a couple of empty slots so you don't risk becoming encumbered and getting stuck trying to awkwardly sell stuff for space.

I've been using a salvage method i found on Discord. Where i salvage the blue and lesser with Basic, then i sell the Masterwork + i get, unless its Orange or Yellow i keep for now. Although i haven't got any of those Orange or Yellow ones 😂

I think some of you guys are missing the important bit: OP and others in the thread have CORE ACCOUNTS and as of yet, if I understand it correctly, they are curious about how THAT is different from a free-to-play one.

A core account has access to the main storyline and Living World Season 2. (There is a small story step explaining in broad strokes the absence of Season 1, but that's not even worth mentioning.) Anything beyond Season 2 requires the purchase of an expansion.

Sadly, the Living World episodes are extra content and they are very rarely offered free, but you can buy them in a bundle for a discounted price. Be sure to check the gem store for the Season 2 Complete Pack.

All the above is true for Free Accounts, as well, except that free players have a bunch of limitations that you can check on the wiki page I already linked in an earlier post.

What you might be misinformed about after reading all the responses:

If you don't (yet) plan on purchasing an expansion, there is no benefit to buying Seasons 3, 4 and The Icebrood Saga. Buying them would unlock them on your account but you would not be able to actually play them until you also buy the corresponding expansion. Season 3 requires Heart of Thorns, while Season 4 and The Icebrood Saga require Path of Fire.

Luckily, if you decide to invest in the game, those two expansions come as a package deal, with the option to include the third expansion, End of Dragons, which is yet to be released.

So as a Core Account holder i can only play up till Chapter 2 and everything else is locked behind the expansions even if i buy them from the Gem Store? 

2 minutes ago, MikeG.6389 said:

I think some of you guys are missing the important bit: OP and others in the thread have CORE ACCOUNTS and as of yet, if I understand it correctly, they are curious about how THAT is different from a free-to-play one.

A core account has access to the main storyline and Living World Season 2. (There is a small story step explaining in broad strokes the absence of Season 1, but that's not even worth mentioning.) Anything beyond Season 2 requires the purchase of an expansion.

Sadly, the Living World episodes are extra content and they are very rarely offered free, but you can buy them in a bundle for a discounted price. Be sure to check the gem store for the Season 2 Complete Pack.

All the above is true for Free Accounts, as well, except that free players have a bunch of limitations that you can check on the wiki page I already linked in an earlier post.

What you might be misinformed about after reading all the responses:

If you don't (yet) plan on purchasing an expansion, there is no benefit to buying Seasons 3, 4 and The Icebrood Saga. Buying them would unlock them on your account but you would not be able to actually play them until you also buy the corresponding expansion. Season 3 requires Heart of Thorns, while Season 4 and The Icebrood Saga require Path of Fire.

Luckily, if you decide to invest in the game, those two expansions come as a package deal, with the option to include the third expansion, End of Dragons, which is yet to be released.

1 minute ago, Aelius.1624 said:

So as a Core Account holder i can only play up till Chapter 2 and everything else is locked behind the expansions even if i buy them from the Gem Store? 

Season 2, not Chapter 2, but yes, exactly as you worded it. As I said, if you don't want to buy an expansion yet, you should only think about buying Season 2.

1 minute ago, MikeG.6389 said:

Season 2, not Chapter 2, but yes, exactly as you worded it. As I said, if you don't want to buy an expansion yet, you should only think about buying Season 2.

kitten, i had some hope that a Core account would lift alot of barriers but not for storyline then. Well i am still satisfied that it lifts several restrictions that are useful. Just not this part. Thanks for clarifying this!

1 minute ago, Aelius.1624 said:

kitten, i had some hope that a Core account would lift alot of barriers but not for storyline then. Well i am still satisfied that it lifts several restrictions that are useful. Just not this part. Thanks for clarifying this!

You are welcome.

Listen, this is already a lot of content for free and without the restrictions of the trial version you can actually experience it the way all players did who bought the game before the first expansion was released. If you enjoy your time, by the end of Season 2, I'm sure you'll find a way to get hold of the expansions, too.

Happy adventures!

20 minutes ago, MikeG.6389 said:

You are welcome.

Listen, this is already a lot of content for free and without the restrictions of the trial version you can actually experience it the way all players did who bought the game before the first expansion was released. If you enjoy your time, by the end of Season 2, I'm sure you'll find a way to get hold of the expansions, too.

Happy adventures!

Yes GW2 has alot to offer in terms of core experience, the amount of content out there is enough for me. Thank you!

13 hours ago, Aelius.1624 said:

A little bit of good news for you, even though you don't have the expansions, if you login while a living story episode is live, you still unlock it for free on your account.  You can't play it until you have the corresponding expansion, BUT, once you get that, you won't have to pay for that episode of the living story.  Unfortunately, we are nearing the end of revisiting all of the living story episodes - Shadow in the Ice is live right now, leaving just four more episodes in Season 5 (Icebrood Saga).  Kind of a bummer for you just getting in to the game now, but, it will save you gems (meaning gold or cash) later. 

7 hours ago, Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.294 said:

A little bit of good news for you, even though you don't have the expansions, if you login while a living story episode is live, you still unlock it for free on your account.  You can't play it until you have the corresponding expansion, BUT, once you get that, you won't have to pay for that episode of the living story.  Unfortunately, we are nearing the end of revisiting all of the living story episodes - Shadow in the Ice is live right now, leaving just four more episodes in Season 5 (Icebrood Saga).  Kind of a bummer for you just getting in to the game now, but, it will save you gems (meaning gold or cash) later. 

Hahaha yea, i got a few mails giving me a free unlock once i buy the expansion so yea i'll save some gems in the future when it comes to unlocking stories. Thanks

• Like 1