Playable race with the best voice actor?

Playable race and gender with the best voice actor?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the 10 playable race/gender combinations has the best voice, especially considering the personal story from HoTs onward?

• Human male
    • Human female
    • Norn male
    • Norn female
    • Sylvari male
    • Sylvari female
    • Asura male
    • Asura female
    • Charr male
    • Charr female

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/30/2021 at 02:00 PM

After playing both a female charr and a male one, I found out that the difference in quality between the two genders is quite steep. Of course personal preference plays a role in it, but I'm quite curious to  know which of the 10 race/gender characters available have the most liked voice acting to back them up.

TO BE CLEAR: it doesn't matter if you haven't played through all the game with all of the options available, nor if you didn't really like any of them, just pick what your hears more or less enjoyed the most out of the characters that you played. 

I've said it many times before, but I'll say it again: male sylvari all the way! That guy is fantastic.

It does make me laugh when I hear his voice in the personal story versus hearing his voice in, say, Living World Season Four and beyond, because his voice has gotten a lot deeper and a bit raspier. So it was rather...surreal...to play a male sylvari Bladesworn during the beta and hear this baritone growl of "Calm before the storm..." right next to a bright, chirpy "I'm renewed! :D" (For a while I thought the voice lines for Bladesworn were bugged - dude's voice was so deep I thought that was the male norn VA. Dang.)

That said, I do like that his voice has changed a bit. The sylvari, after all, started the game being born, so a young, cheerful, light voice suited the naive and innocent character perfectly. Now that the Commander's gone through heck and back (several times), he's far more world-weary and cynical - and the deeper, more worn voice fits the character now.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Sylvari female with Jennifer Hale. What really sells them for me is when the Sylvari PC will yell "Look around, you're killing your own. You don't want this, I know you don't!" to Vishen in Drizzelwood Coast. She sounds more pained than even the Charr PC voice for that line. The delivery is so good and makes me believe that a Sylvari would genuinely care about the situation. 

Asura female with Colleen O'Shaughnessey. But, I admit that Asura get bonus points for the lines they have. "You're dumb. You'll die and you'll leave a dumb corpse." is hilarious. I enjoy the confidence and the sass in their delivery. Very Asura-like. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Wish I could vote for a few. I voted male Sylvari, because he’s really good, but male Asura is awesome, too, really capturing the Asura quality while still being pleasantly main character, if that makes sense.

I was afraid that allowing more than one vote would result in votes being spread all over the place. I am aware that pretty much everyone will like more than a single race/gender, but for the purpose of this poll I'd rather go for "choose only the very very best for you". It's nothing official anyway.

• Like 2

Tried all voices, at least in initial story and I think male asura, female asura and male sylvari are the best.

But I can't say it about voice acting for female charr. She sounds less emotional than Google text to speech or asuran golems, really. I remember I almost died of cringe at line "The egg's gone! (growl)" [City of Hope chapter].

But I love her saying "done" or "next" after completing an achievement or something. That's cute.

• Like 2

Brandon Bales did an amazing job with the Male Sylvari, going from the serious, noble, and heroic moments as 'The commander'; to the jovial, sarcastic and light-hearted interactions with characters like Taimi and Canach.

but the bit i love the most is how he totally tears into everyone during the HoT storyline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Antycypator.9874 said:

But I can't say it about voice acting for female charr.

Pff, so little love for the Charr female.

Long ago I once posted some lines the female Charr warrior says in a very specific order that read like a steamy... uh nvm or the banhammer hits.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Al Masone.1274 said:

I was afraid that allowing more than one vote would result in votes being spread all over the place. I am aware that pretty much everyone will like more than a single race/gender, but for the purpose of this poll I'd rather go for "choose only the very very best for you". It's nothing official anyway.

Makes total sense. I wasn't intending to critique the poll, just express that I really like both voices!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

Female human used to be my favorite, but she always sounds so stressed out. It results in a negative mood. Now, my favorite is female Asura. I really like that soft and sweet voice. It has a calming effect.

female human is my #1 and female charr #2. there are both my "mains" and i love both of them

12 hours ago, Antycypator.9874 said:

But I can't say it about voice acting for female charr. She sounds less emotional than Google text to speech or asuran golems, really. I remember I almost died of cringe at line "The egg's gone! (growl)" [City of Hope chapter].

But I love her saying "done" or "next" after completing an achievement or something. That's cute.

Maybe with the change in voice actors, female charr gets a little more...natural-sounding? Her original VA doesn't have a bad voice, per se - it's quite pleasant, really - but severely out of place for the gruff, tough-as-nails charr. Having the emotional range of a block of wood is also not working in her favor. All her lines just sound irritatingly arrogant and smug.

Does the new VA for female charr sound better? More emotive and natural? I haven't played any storylines after the VA switch, but when I tried out one of the beta elite specs (Catalyst), I heard a very different voice on my charr lady. It was too brief to really judge the new voice, but I did like what little I heard.

• Confused 1

I'm only giving it to Male Asura because I can't stop hearing Shiro Amada lel

I'm only disappointed by the fact that they announced Mechanist way too late for me in the series since I already made my Guardian Asura ages ago, along with my Norn Engineer. If they gave us Mechanist much earlier I would've made an Asura Engineer and named the Mech Ez8 lel

• Like 1

Charr Male to me, specially since they more or less made the Commander the "parent figure" of Dragon's Watch, the character just have such a "grumpy dad" vibe to his deliveries its funny and sometimes kinda cute when we interact with Taimi.

21 hours ago, SkyCakeLight.3750 said:

Sylvari female with Jennifer Hale. What really sells them for me is when the Sylvari PC will yell "Look around, you're killing your own. You don't want this, I know you don't!" to Vishen in Drizzelwood Coast. She sounds more pained than even the Charr PC voice for that line. The delivery is so good and makes me believe that a Sylvari would genuinely care about the situation. 

Asura female with Colleen O'Shaughnessey. But, I admit that Asura get bonus points for the lines they have. "You're dumb. You'll die and you'll leave a dumb corpse." is hilarious. I enjoy the confidence and the sass in their delivery. Very Asura-like. 

There's quite a few interesting dialogues that happen when you go through that story as a Charr Commander too.

Edited by Ashgar.3024
  • Like 1