For the love of everything, get rid of reactions...

Arnox.5128

14 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

How the crap is this even a discussion? I am the laugh emoji since that is how I took this thread when reading your op.

I dont see how this post make it any better.

Could you rephrase? Are you for or against the reaction system? If for it, why?

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 17

I mean your post isn't really a discussion starter either, but for whatever it's worth I agree.

It's supposed to be an accessibility/convenience thing, but just like up/down vote systems these forum interactions really don't do anything to foster discussion because you provide easy and vague 'answers' that could mean anything, but suffices to convey "I agree/disagree" without having to tell anyone why/argue your case. It's also perfect for knee-jerks.

It's not really about adding to discussions though, it's just to garner forum interaction and possibly increase it's population by making it easier to.. participate in whatever people post. If Anet wanted to retain discussion as the focus, they wouldn't have added reactions.

On the other hand, there's also the case where none of those 20(hypothetical) reactions has anything of value to add to the discussion anyway without retreading ground, so they can easily throw in their lot with whoever already wrote a better answer than they could.

I still don't like it, but it is pretty much everywhere in the mainstream and sadly it's here to stay. Much as I hate it but long gone are the days where people were forced to type mini-essays on their cellphones.

21 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

People on this forums are so easily confused.

Now I did find this funny, but a lack of varied reactions is a different discussion that should be had since it's here to stay.

Right now we have four, two to convey I agree, one that goes into SUPER AGREE. Completely Redundant.

One makes you Sad which could literally mean anything because people can be happy/sad or down/sad or funny/sad, and then we have Confused.

Confused is as close as you get to outright disagreement on the spectrum on here (and is what people mostly use it for), but it doesn't actually convey that as it could mean "I don't get it, please elaborate" but when used on here it could just as easily be "WTF mate this is some crap yo' " because nothing gets closer. It's kinda silly but I suppose 'Open to interpretation' is the whole idea to avoid toxic behavior or something.

On the other hand, nobody is forcing anyone to sit down and decipher reactions in a "What could it mean?!" mystery fashion. They are what they are, insufficient.

Edited by TwiceDead.1963
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

14 minutes ago, TwiceDead.1963 said:

I mean your post isn't really a discussion starter either

Yeah, that's true. In my defense, I thought it was generally agreed upon that they were garbage and didn't need an explanation as to why they should be disabled entirely. Your explanation though is perfect and what I would argue as well.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 18
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Could you rephrase? Are you for or against the reaction system? If for it, why?

Im for it since rather then having people gang up on a OPs suggestion I rather thanks or like a post that refute the suggestion better then I myself can.

So if your post got alot of confused emoji and the on you argue against got likes and thanks you should be able to see how the sides of the conversation is going.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

19 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Im for it since rather then having people gang up on a OPs suggestion I rather thanks or like a post that refute the suggestion better then I myself can.

So if your post got alot of confused emoji and the on you argue against got likes and thanks you should be able to see how the sides of the conversation is going.

Except it doesn't mean anything because you have no idea what they're arguing. You can't even see who posted the reaction. So there's no discussion. And if people can't even be bothered to make a simple post as to why they disagree and need reactions, then maybe they shouldn't be saying anything at all. Quality discussions and a good exchange of ideas are what we should aim for, not who has the most popular take or who can get the most "heart" emojis.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 18

3 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

It’s best to just ignore them. 

Technically it's not that big a deal, but if we can change it, why even deal with it? Someone's gotta be at least a little persistent about these things or else nothing really gets done, you know?

What do the moderators want to say about this? Site staff? What are their positions on this?

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 23

1 minute ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Technically it's not that big a deal, but if we can change it, why even deal with it?

What do the moderators have to say about this? Site staff? What are their positions on this?

Considering that they added these with the forum update, I believe it’s fairly clear what their position is on this. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Just now, mythical.6315 said:

Considering that they added these with the forum update, I believe it’s fairly clear what their position is on this. 

Sure, at the time, they probably thought they were fine, but the forums were updated a long time ago now. Perspectives change. New information comes to light.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 23

Just now, mythical.6315 said:

I don’t really care for it. I mostly use it to track which posts that I have read if I’m following a particular thread. 

Then why are you fighting me on this? If you dislike it or even just think it's pointless then you won't mind seeing the staff get rid of it.

Maybe you think I'm pushy on this, but we both know that if I wasn't, nothing's going to get done.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 26

Just now, Arnox.5128 said:

Then why are you fighting me on this? If you dislike it or even just think it's pointless then you won't mind seeing the staff get rid of it.

Maybe you think I'm pushy on this, but we both know that if I wasn't, nothing's going to get done.

Where was I fighting you on this? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Well, you made a statement of disavowal. "Good luck. There’s no 'we'." If that was not your intention though, then nevermind.

I said good luck because it’s unlikely that you’ll get a response from them. 

I made the “There’s no we”statement because you’re not speaking for everyone and especially if you’re the only one here taking issue with it. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

I personally don't like them either. "Like" and "Thanks" have uses to convey agreement without having anything to add to the discussion beyond what was already posted (which we already had a means for in the old system but better with Like and Helpful), but especially the "Confused" spam, although largely to be ignored, is just kind of silly and counterproductive. 

It's clearly largely meant/used to convey disagreement, but it's entirely unproductive since it doesn't convey what was disagreed upon and why - which is kind of the most important part of a discussion - and leaves nothing to respond to. 

Giving people the means to voice unproductive criticism with the click of the button while constructive criticism takes time and effort to write out just leads to deterioration of discussions.

Unconstructive criticism, imo, shouldn't be the easiest to give. 

/E:

I can almost appreciate the person going to all the 15 last posts featured on my profile at the time of/directly after making this post and reacting with Confused to every single one of them back to back, I hope it was worth the effort 😄

Edited by Asum.4960
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

I've mostly gotten to the point where I ignore them. But I do find them somewhat amusing since I found an option buried in the forums menus to sort posters by 'reputation' which seems to count any reaction as a reputation boost. Which means as far as the forum is concerned those people who go around and spam confused reactions on anyone they don't like are boosting the recipients reputation. 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2