For the love of everything, get rid of reactions...

Arnox.5128

14 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

We used to have a thumbs down untill an anet post got was it 121 thumbs down and it got removed quickly after.

So... people who don't want emojis just have to spam all Anet posts with "confuseds" until they go away?  😮🤣

10 hours ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

And here I thought the whole point of them is to see whether or not I could get all 4 of them in perfect balance, like all things should be according to a Purple Genocidal Warlord. 

It's to get the Royal Flush of reactions.  You totally got it, you win the pot!  💰

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, TwinFrozr.6214 said:

Certainly. If you don't understand that people are affected by public reaction, and how it steers them toward generic opinions and commentary, you have a lot to learn. People are afraid of receiving/sending "hate" (criticism) and form opinions thereafter. 

From my experience, the highest value of discussion normally comes from forums without likes, reactions, etcetera. They open for a geniunely open-minded discussion, where things people even hate to read, is treated as equally valuable information.

Don't you feel different levels of motivation from the reactions of other people?

Actual faces in person, yes. What they write, yeah. Number of little yellow faces at the bottom of my post…. Um, no.

If someone is scared off by confused emojis, how are the going to handle people responding saying they are flat out wrong?

Edited by Gibson.4036
Clarity, my last sentence was way convoluted
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

You call them snowflakes but who’s the one getting bent out of shape over simple emojis?

Honest answer? The people quivering over the thought of not being able to respond anonymously or not having their emoji register in someone's notifications. If reactions are no big deal, it shouldn't be an issue to have someone suggest their removal or a toggle that lets you filter them from your notification feed.

If people shouldn't care about reactions being here, why should they care about them being gone?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

Until cyberbullying and public executions in the internet become a serious crime even if that's a private companies' forums, you'll have to ignore it. Someday these things will be regulated under strict laws and treated as if they are any public place in real life.

Let's say you're talking against a company's decision on something to drain more money out of you, ok let's say Renault fictionally decided to sell their cars and their 4 tires seperatedly. You surely will see in their forums some group of fanboys backing their decision and bullying you to the death, triggering you, pushing you in the conversations until you lose control by saying things like "if you can't buy 4 tires then you should get a job" and forcing you to talk slightly more agressive. there's nothing out there to stop this company to bias their moderation decisions favouring their fanboys. Or even worse, nothing stops this company to hire fanboys to defend them. 

It's slowly getting there, today you can emotionally destroy a person in the chatboxes of a video game, worst thing can happen is you'll get banned, someday, those people and the companies won't get away with simple bans, they will be judged.

Edited by artharon.9276
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 5

Meh. Usually when I see these threads, it's from people who are too afraid to have an unpopular opinion and put too much stock into the react emoticons they receive. That's dumb and people should get over themselves and be confident to express an opinion that guess what people may agree or disagree with. 

In terms of the concept that many people react but don't reply...so what? The people that feel strongly enough to engage with the topic at hand will reply, and others maybe just leave a react and move on. I still fail to see the issue here. Case in point, OP tried to make the case in the 2nd post, yet as of the time I reply here, we have 5 pages of discussion. So again, no issue here.

All in all, system is fine, people should just keep going about their day instead of looking for little bits to get outraged over. Going outside once in a while is a good idea.

Edited by Faridah.8431
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

7 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

You call them snowflakes but who’s the one getting bent out of shape over simple emojis?

Nice misdirection of the point. I don’t get bent out of shape over emojis…I get bent over people abusing components of a system as a way to turn an otherwise meaningful discussion into an emoji battle because a few bad actors decide someone’s post is “confusing” when it’s clearly not.

I barley use emojis and I don't care about them…it’s the fact that people do care about them enough to abuse it as a way to influence what should be rational discussion.

People are silent on the issue but we all know that it is an issue. The fact that it is a factor at all in a discussion is kitten to say the least.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

57 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Nice misdirection of the point. I don’t get bent out of shape over emojis…I get bent over people abusing components of a system as a way to turn an otherwise meaningful discussion into an emoji battle because a few bad actors decide someone’s post is “confusing” when it’s clearly not.

I barley use emojis and I don't care about them…it’s the fact that people do care about them enough to abuse it as a way to influence what should be rational discussion.

People are silent on the issue but we all know that it is an issue. The fact that it is a factor at all in a discussion is kitten to say the least.

You did enough to come onto the forums and call them people snowflakes. Emojis only mean anything to those that care about them. Since you felt compelled enough to come here, say they should be removed, and called those who used them snowflakes, I would say that you “got bent out of shape” over them. 

All that I was doing was pointing out how hypocritically your attack was on them when you are no different other than being on the opposite side. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 2

25 minutes ago, Batel.9206 said:

Either give us a proper downvote option

Please no... No voting. The sub-reddit's already horrible enough, but at least it's contained.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:00 AM, Ashen.2907 said:

There is no justification given in the OP for spending the resources, however minute, to remove the current system.

A setting. It's a setting in the forum administrator panel. Literally takes a second to turn off.

Unless this forum software is incredibly terribly built. I wouldn't be surprised since it's not XenForo.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

MAJOR UPDATE

I checked out the official Invision forum software and... YOU CAN'T DISABLE REACTIONS. You can only mitigate them. LOL

Welp, boys, looks like reactions are here to stay. >_> Congratulations to everyone who wanted them to stay. It turns out that Invision is so retardedly designed that it defeated us.

I don't know what ANet's reasons are for picking this forum software over XenForo, but I hope it was a good one and not just because they picked whatever the first result in a Google search was.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

You did enough to come onto the forums and call them people snowflakes. Emojis only mean anything to those that care about them. Since you felt compelled enough to come here, say they should be removed, and called those who used them snowflakes, I would say that you “got bent out of shape” over them. 

like I said that’s a misdirection…

“All that I was doing was pointing out how hypocritically your attack was on them when you are no different other than being on the opposite side.”

its not hypocritical because u don’t seem to understand what being a snowflake means. You are a snowflake if you are easily offended, and use emotion to defend themselves…which is what emojis are…if you couldn’t tell by the word, is a tool to use to convey emotion.

the opposite are people who use rational discourse: people who don't get personally offended… use rational discussion to defend their argument and thus emojis aren’t a tool for them to use for obvious reasons. 

therefor, people who use emojis as a tool to defend their arguments are snowflakes. That’s why the correlation your trying to make is false: someone who wants to stop abuse of such systems that interfere with rational discourse is not a snowflake. 

if I wanted to be a hypocrit (a snowflake) I would abuse the emoji system as a way to defend this argument rather than responding with rational comment to your post. This entire thread (with all the confusion spam) is a walking testament to how emojis are abused in exactly this way lol.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Arnox.5128 said:

MAJOR UPDATE

I checked out the official Invision forum software and... YOU CAN'T DISABLE REACTIONS. You can only mitigate them. LOL

Welp, boys, looks like reactions are here to stay. >_> Congratulations to everyone who wanted them to stay. It turns out that Invision is so retardedly designed that it defeated us.

I don't know what ANet's reasons are for picking this forum software over XenForo, but I hope it was a good one and not just because they picked whatever the first result in a Google search was.

Ya there was a forum for science discussion that used this platform with an emoji system. Interestingly enough the forum degraded into the forum moderators who were technically the “science experts” artificially shutting down criticism of the answers towards topics, by having other forum moderators using emojis to inflate a consensus on topics. 

On top of that it was heavily censored to the point where simple questions were seen as an attack on scientific consensus (Questions like : "Since Non-locality doesn't violate Bells Theorem. Doesn't that mean Bells Theorem doesn't sufficiently refute deterministic models of Quantum Mechanics?"). Even providing peer reviewed sources isn't acceptable criteria for such discussion on that forum because the the current consensus is that Bell's Theorem is irrefutable due to non locality implying super determinism (an apparently unfalsifiable claim). It was completely authoritarian, dictated only by those moderators, and it was pretty ridiculous to say the least, and it just stops discussion on the topic, when it's a perfectly valid topic to discuss.

Anyway, basically censorship and emotional discourse pretty much ruins rational discourse. Even in areas where you think it should be rational (like science forums). A sad state of affairs. 

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

You're the kind of person that has allowed what used free liberal democracies to arrest and jail people for social media posts and edgy jokes.

That is why you should never get used democracies.  Food and democracies should always be bought new, especially when ordering them over the internet. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

It is too bad about the anonymity.

I will often 💙 a poster I am disagreeing with because their argument is solid, friendly, and humbly offered. They have no idea, however, that I am appreciating the civil discussion even though we are disagreeing, and probably just count the 💙 as someone who has sided with them against me.

Being able to mouse over the reacitons and see a list of member names who left them could be helpful.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1