Who Actually Wanted Hammer?

Downstate.4697

Who actually wanted hammer?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Hammer or Longbow

• Hammer
    • Longbow
    • Other

I wanted Hammer. I did not want Catalyst, though. Something more akin to an Enhancement Shaman in WoW with a more primal feeling to it. Or, even something like a Rune Priest in Warhammer where they hammer the winds of magic in submission, storing them into stone. I wanted it to feel like an Earthbender in Avatar with how sturdy and strong their bending is relative to the other elements (obviously would apply to all four elements on Elementalist). 

There was a time where I was slightly hopeful that the bullet icon was for Elementalist and before that posted how I wanted Rifle the most. It's kind of silly thinking about how if you took current Catalyst's mechanics, they would work so much better with a Rifle. Setting up a field to stand in wouldn't be so bad if you had 1200+ range. The Augments could have been loading special ammo and been based on shots fired (like Thief poison) rather than these weak, timed utilities with an extra stipulation. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Hm, dunno, it sounds like it will just try to copy literally all other rifle users at once with skills.

• earth shotgun -> engineer (has even AoEs and bleed + immob, all condis associated with earth)
  • air long range quick dps -> deadeye
  • flamethrower condi mid range -> engineer

Don't know, it doesn't actually feel really new, but just applies multiple concepts which are already there into one weapon.

Nothing completely new under the sun...

But while there are conceptual similarities with existing weapons, I think the idea does have potential. Engineer doesn't have a monopoly on a flamethrower playstyle - heck, elementalist dagger with fire attunement is basically a flamethrower playstyle, even if the basic attack is a single claw attack rather than a channeled cone. A hypothetical flamethrower-style rifle elementalist might still draw more from that then engineer flamethrower. 

The general principle, though, is that each element had a distinct theme and role in GW1. That's been somewhat lost in GW2 - while there are still trends as to what the elements do, generally you're just expected to cycle rather than picking an element that serves your needs, with the exception of dipping into Water for self-sustain. This, however, presents a theme that restores some of that distinction. Fire as a close range area-focused element. Air/lightning for picking off targets at range (like GW1). Earth might not actually be a shotgun per se, but unleashing concussive waves of force.

Basically, think of all those element-themed environmental weapons spread across core Tyria, mostly asuran, and generally used for heart completion. Make the elementalist rifle resemble carrying around a battery of those.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1. IMO two-handed weapons gives less options to 1-set ele class so never thought about hammer or longbow. 2 pistols (variety yay!) was my thinking.

2. Voted hammer over longbow, because: hammer idea is great even on catalyst: range mixed weapon. But range must be tweaked + 100-200 on ranged attunements. From flavor perspective hammer can throw some kind of projectiles and bash in close quarters, but how to utilise close ranged longbow? Giveaway one element? Use it as staff with animations? To me longbow is lame af even at concept on ele. Practical example: pvp, ranger gs+lb: you shoot from distance to some may be Spellbreaker. He takes your hits and runs to you, closing distance. Now you are face to face and there goes greatsword. Next encounter repeats. What about lonely weak longbow ele in close quarters? Hammer feels better in terms of weapon type here, because gw2 mostly is about close range encounters. Even if you manage to have long-ranged duel there is always a way for ambush on you. So no longbow here without free weapon swap on ele.

4. Hammer's 3: STRONGLY aggree with some of you telling that orbs must be more like razor-cutting discs on all radius during their rotation phase, because of fluent and highly mobile battle gameplay, I suppose max 3 or 5 targets each (on spvp surely 3, for balance).

On a conclusion: hammer is interesting weapon with not-so-bad skills that need tweaking for making it really good, of 2 given options it's the best.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I wanted hammer or MH & OH mace (very unlikely I know) but this is probably because I mained  enhancement shaman from WoW for a long time  so was hoping for something more primal/bruiser style of gameplay.  Catalyst is very appealing to me on paper but feels very subpar to weaver and tempest brings at the moment. 

• Like 1