Legendary Trinket Effects Update

On 11/8/2021 at 8:43 PM, Catmander Neko.5643 said:

Hello Tyrians,

When we released the Legendary Armory feature on July 13, one of the top pieces of feedback we heard was for the ability to hide the visual effects of the legendary trinkets Aurora, Vision, and Coalescence. At that time we unfortunately didn’t have the dev bandwidth available to tackle the request. The work that we’d need to do to make the visual effects toggleable was a non-trivial effort. We were (and still are) hard at work on the End of Dragons expansion.

Since then, a member of our engineering team identified a new approach to the stacking buff problem we previously explained that would not add technical or design debt (bookah speak: the idea that doing the seemingly simple solution now, will cost us much more time later than the simple solution saved us to begin with), and after some iteration and refactoring, we landed on a satisfactory implementation. Add a healthy portion of testing, bake for 3-4 weeks in our release pipeline (the average time from the moment something is finished and ok-ed to be released, to actually being in a release) and you end up with a checkbox on more of your legendary trinkets on November 9th.

Once the build is live tomorrow, Aurora, Vision, and Coalescence will each have a new checkbox when equipped. From the player perspective, these checkboxes will add or remove their contribution to the stack that determines which effect will be displayed on your character, or none at all, if that is your thing.

Would it be possible to also have a checkbox in our options to hide that effect on other players? 

Hiding mine will dramatically help me with having my character look the way I want, so that's already appreciated, but hiding it on others will seriously benefit performance (imagine wvw and world bosses), visual noise and (most importantly) immersion. 

I think people should be able to reduce the visual noice. I get it's something hard design-wise, some effects and noise are always needed, but legendary trinkets don't really add anything. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kidel.2057 said:

Would it be possible to also have a checkbox in our options to hide that effect on other players? 

Hiding mine will dramatically help me with having my character look the way I want, so that's already appreciated, but hiding it on others will seriously benefit performance (imagine wvw and world bosses), visual noise and (most importantly) immersion. 

I think people should be able to reduce the visual noice. I get it's something hard design-wise, some effects and noise are always needed, but legendary trinkets don't really add anything. 

Lowest Character Model Quality should do that. But it disables visuals of armor only, leaving effects of trinkets, infusions, weapons, backpack and profession specific effects to be present.
But to be honest, 'Character Model Limit - No Character Models\Do not Load' will be the best solution.
Simply prevent loading of other character models on your client, leaving only NPCs for you to see. Name tags of other characters still show to make aware of their positions, regardless of Character Limit or Character Model Quality.

Edited by Aeon.4583

Going to add my voice to the:

I knew I wanted this, but never knew how much I wanted it until implemented.

Great upgrade which adds a lot of flexibility and player control to this. Not only are players now able to turn effects off, but rather also show specific effects which were near forgotten (say from only 1 or 2 of the set).

This system should be expanded upon in many ways, some could be:

- provide more interacting items with additive effects (likely but not necessarily legendary items) similar to the PvE ring and accessories

- provide a check box to each item slot, activating or deactivating any special effect on that item

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zalavaaris.5329 said:

Just like you said, through fractals and wvw you can get all of them. 

You said you can buy "all you want" , that implies they are essentially free.

Most people aren't going to use skirmish tickets on the WvW infusions so let's go with the other route: it's 5 laurels and 125 badges of honor. A set of 18 costs 90 laurels and 2250 badges. I'm not sure if that's affordable for everyone as my sense of badges of honor as WvW currency is inherently biased (I play WvW daily). Checking the sources of badges of honor, daily chests have 10 , camp/tower / keep lords drop 2, and the skirmish chests can provide 20 while achievement point chests offer 100-200. That's certainly an option for PvE raiding (not T4 fractals) and WvW.

As far as PvE methods for fractals it still requires integrated fractal matrices in bulk either way to reach parity with cosmetic infusions and the only way around it is many fractal relics. (The raid vendor only offers +5 stats with +5 agony and requires timegated magnetite and 15g.) That's not going to be readily available to everyone. If you look on gw2efficiency it lists ~70g (and 300 relics) for +9 agony +5  might / condition damage and ~32g (and 150 relics) for +7 agony +5 might / condition damage. That means a set of 18 costs 1260g + 5400 relics for +9 agony and provided you have an account-wide AR buff you can use full +7 agony +5 stat at a cost of ~576g and  2700 relics. If you want to run power/condition/healing you can triple this.

Mighty: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-37131;1-37127

Malign: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-37130;1-37129

"Buy all you want" implies it is something a substantial portion of the playerbase should be able to afford, i.e. <350g for a whole set (~$20 gems to gold , roughly one ascended weaponset and full ascended armor). Swim speed infusion +15 is 9g or so on par with normal nonstat +10 agony infusions and you would only use one of them ; it isn't until +20 swim infusion that it is quite pricey.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

You said you can buy "all you want" , that implies they are essentially free.

Most people aren't going to use skirmish tickets on the WvW infusions so let's go with the other route: it's 5 laurels and 125 badges of honor. A set of 18 costs 90 laurels and 2250 badges. I'm not sure if that's affordable for everyone as my sense of badges of honor as WvW currency is inherently biased (I play WvW daily). Checking the sources of badges of honor, daily chests have 10 , camp/tower / keep lords drop 2, and the skirmish chests can provide 20 while achievement point chests offer 100-200. That's certainly an option for PvE raiding (not T4 fractals) and WvW.

As far as PvE methods for fractals it still requires integrated fractal matrices in bulk either way to reach parity with cosmetic infusions and the only way around it is many fractal relics. (The raid vendor only offers +5 stats with +5 agony and requires timegated magnetite and 15g.) That's not going to be readily available to everyone. If you look on gw2efficiency it lists ~70g (and 300 relics) for +9 agony +5  might / condition damage and ~32g (and 150 relics) for +7 agony +5 might / condition damage. That means a set of 18 costs 1260g + 5400 relics for +9 agony and provided you have an account-wide AR buff you can use full +7 agony +5 stat at a cost of ~576g and  2700 relics. If you want to run power/condition/healing you can triple this.

Mighty: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-37131;1-37127

Malign: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-37130;1-37129

"Buy all you want" implies it is something a substantial portion of the playerbase should be able to afford, i.e. <350g for a whole set (~$20 gems to gold , roughly one ascended weaponset and full ascended armor). Swim speed infusion +15 is 9g or so on par with normal nonstat +10 agony infusions and you would only use one of them ; it isn't until +20 swim infusion that it is quite pricey.

I didnt say it was cheap. Nice cosmetic infusions aren't cheap either. What I said was they were available without a cosmetic portion from a vendor. You can get hung on the easily available statement. Or I'll rephrase to you can grind and buy some. Either way, if you don't want to look at them just buy the stat infusions from the vendor, yes, with some work. Satisfied? 

12 minutes ago, Zalavaaris.5329 said:

I didnt say it was cheap. Nice cosmetic infusions aren't cheap either. What I said was they were available without a cosmetic portion from a vendor. You can get hung on the easily available statement. Or I'll rephrase to you can grind and buy some. Either way, if you don't want to look at them just buy the stat infusions from the vendor, yes, with some work. Satisfied? 

During Halloween a +9 agony +5 stat infusion is cheaper than a +9 agony +5 stat infusion from fractal relics both gold and time-wise.

So yes, it would make sense if you said there is an alternative (which requires a bulk of fractals on CM or normal mode either way) not that it is something you can buy all you want.

That doesn't even count when you get accountbound infusions you might not want the effect of such as deldrimor or celestial.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

During Halloween a +9 agony +5 stat infusion is cheaper than a +9 agony +5 stat infusion from fractal relics both gold and time-wise.

So yes, it would make sense if you said there is an alternative (which requires a bulk of fractals on CM or normal mode either way) not that it is something you can buy all you want.

That doesn't even count when you get accountbound infusions you might not want the effect of such as deldrimor or celestial.

You're arguing over semantics and me saying all you want. The only point I was trying to make was that there are alternatives. I have 3 characters decked out in these infusions and that's all I wanted. If you don't want to put the effort in to get them I can't really give af. But the actualy point I was making isn't wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Zalavaaris.5329 said:

You're arguing over semantics and me saying all you want. The only point I was trying to make was that there are alternatives. I have 3 characters decked out in these infusions and that's all I wanted. If you don't want to put the effort in to get them I can't really give af. But the actualy point I was making isn't wrong. 

Sure it is not wrong, but it did not address the point i made at all.

Me being able to buy AR infusions with stats changes nothing about a situation where i already have a number of infusions... that happen to have very ugly effects associated with them. And it's not like i can even sell all of them, because the few deldrimors i have are account-bound. And thus completely useless to me.

On 11/14/2021 at 3:16 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Sometimes you just drop an infusion

I always thought only certain enemies/boss chests dropped infusions, not players? 😉

But hey, if you are right, I revoke my previous reservations about open world PvP. 😄

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Me being able to buy AR infusions with stats changes nothing about a situation where i already have a number of infusions... that happen to have very ugly effects associated with them. And it's not like i can even sell all of them, because the few deldrimors i have are account-bound. And thus completely useless to me.

I thought you could only get 1 deldrimor infusion from the weekly vendor how did you get more of them?

41 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yea you'd have to put those infusions in your bank and save up for the other ones. Or you could destroy the ones you don't like. How many ugly infusions do you have? Is every slot filled with an ugly infusion you hate? Or can you just get 1 or 2 of the stat infusions and slap the others on an alt or in the bank?