Se6 is in the works or what?

zealex.9410

One thing that pof did very well that eod so far hasnt talked about was that it seemlessly transitioned from pof into se4 with like no delay, hot really struggled with this and it hurt that expansion greatly i would say.

With how much is riding on eod and how hard the studio is working on it i just wanted to ask if work is being done on lw or if post hot will repeat but instead of raids it will be with strike cms now?

Edited by zealex.9410
  • Like 1

This is something that I've been wondering myself, so far all details on the roadmaps and whatnot pretty much end with EoD. We know they plan to continue GW2's development but we haven't heard anything about the post EoD era. Is LS6 in development? Will there be a HoT-style drought after EoD?

• Sad 1

Well obviously they probably aren't working on the actual construction of the content yet as in building the maps and all that past the very basic groundwork

But i have no doubt they already have whatever the post EoD content is planned out pretty far, they likely have the story and locations all decided on, but i would imagine that they aren't yet in the stage where it is in any viewable let alone playable state.

The team is probably all hands on deck polishing the EoD maps making sure they deliver on quality and quantity of content while a small handful of people are doing basic prep work on the follow up content like writing basic scripts and outlining the meta structures, rewards, and all that stuff. As soon as EoD launches im sure the devs will then switch over to prioritizing the next release while possibly diverting a handful of devs to work on side projects and QOL updates.

Only anet truly knows though

Edited by Kayberz.5346
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The "return to" achievements are supposed to give info on stuff that the characters might have overlooked in the past - regarding dragons.

Maybe this will directly lead into EoD. Or some mini episode in between (1 chapter)? I am not sure. A full season would be too much.

Most likely - if target release date is early next year - they can just fill the time with events. Wintersday and Lunar New Year are soon ...

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

42 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

The "return to" achievements are supposed to give info on stuff that the characters might have overlooked in the past - regarding dragons.

Maybe this will directly lead into EoD. Or some mini episode in between (1 chapter)? I am not sure. A full season would be too much.

Most likely - if target release date is early next year - they can just fill the time with events. Wintersday and Lunar New Year are soon ...

It would be great to get some kind of episode between the return to achievements and the expansion but the expansion release date is February sometime so I think that's unlikely. We'll probably get some more dialogue in Eye of the North that says up the reason for us to go to Cantha.

Still the thread is about what happens after EoD.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Not really. It’s just something to keep players busy during the 10-month content drought until the expansion launches. 

• Like 2

They seemed to indicate that EoD is 100% of their focus, that is why Season 5 ended quickly, so it seems that Season 6 isn't going to be much beyond planning at this point. I think they could do some current events quickly as soon as they get past EoD work, but a full episode that lays out the next story arch might not be something that happens quickly.

They haven't said anything except that "the story of the game is planned out years in advance" or something like that. Everything up until now was established long before it ever appeared in-game.

That said, given that they cut the back half of IBS for the expo, it's not very likely atm.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Anet has said EoD isn't the end of GW2's story, and that there is more content planned for after EoD.

I would be very surprised if there wasn't a LWS6 that possibly expands on Cantha, and finishes off the god plan, akin to how LWS4 was for Elona.

Just because EoD is not the end, it doesn't mean they have anything planned yet. It could very well be that they only start thinking about that after EoD launched.

And it not being the end doesn't guarantee there'll be another big arc coming. The end could simply be the clean up of a few loose ends after EoD.

2 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

They haven't said anything except that "the story of the game is planned out years in advance" or something like that. Everything up until now was established long before it ever appeared in-game.

I remember comments about how Arenanet didn't know what to do after Season 4. Based on these comments, The Grindflood Saga and EoD were not planned "years ahead".

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Just because EoD is not the end, it doesn't mean they have anything planned yet. It could very well be that they only start thinking about that after EoD launched.

And it not being the end doesn't guarantee there'll be another big arc coming. The end could simply be the clean up of a few loose ends after EoD.

That isn't how game design works. You always have to know what you want to do after the next thing so you can lay the ground work for the thing after that in the next thing thats coming out.

• Like 4

Yeah, I misread the first post when I made my previous answer. Didn't think anyone would think about stuff AFTER EoD already. Wilth HoT it seems it was different than PoF cause the dragon from HoT was killed there. PoF was just Balthazar and they had Kralk still alive - to directly continue there.

Jormag and Primordus ... pretty rushed (especially Primordus) in the Icebrood. And it seems they want ot end the cycle with the Dragons with EoD. (Though it might repeat and start with Zhaitan again? Or something else without dragons.)

I doubt they'll tell any details about the further story. Especially since it is ArenaNet (never announcing stuff early) ... I don't think we'll know until just a few weeks before. They might as well recycle older content for a while.

According to this site/list: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Release

it seems like they were pretty fast after HoT though ... less than a year until season 3. If you take into account that they should give at least about 6 months for people to finish the new expansion (not everyone can play a lot of hours each day) - this seems okay.

PoF transition to S4 actually seemed too fast. Cause people probably still had a ton of secondary achievements to finish from PoF. (Yeah ... when only playing plot you probably could just bring new episodes every month.)

Seems about right to have a longer break - after a full expansion. (As compared to living world and chapters - where small story steps + the few achievements can completed fast while for the expansion a lot gets released at once and people need time to complete it.)

Edited by Luthan.5236

17 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Yeah, I misread the first post when I made my previous answer. Didn't think anyone would think about stuff AFTER EoD already. Wilth HoT it seems it was different than PoF cause the dragon from HoT was killed there. PoF was just Balthazar and they had Kralk still alive - to directly continue there.

Jormag and Primordus ... pretty rushed (especially Primordus) in the Icebrood. And it seems they want ot end the cycle with the Dragons with EoD. (Though it might repeat and start with Zhaitan again? Or something else without dragons.)

I doubt they'll tell any details about the further story. Especially since it is ArenaNet (never announcing stuff early) ... I don't think we'll know until just a few weeks before. They might as well recycle older content for a while.

According to this site/list: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Release

it seems like they were pretty fast after HoT though ... less than a year until season 3. If you take into account that they should give at least about 6 months for people to finish the new expansion (not everyone can play a lot of hours each day) - this seems okay.

PoF transition to S4 actually seemed too fast. Cause people probably still had a ton of secondary achievements to finish from PoF. (Yeah ... when only playing plot you probably could just bring new episodes every month.)

Seems about right to have a longer break - after a full expansion. (As compared to living world and chapters - where small story steps + the few achievements can completed fast while for the expansion a lot gets released at once and people need time to complete it.)

Se3 came very quickly? Less than a year? Give ppl 6 months to finish eod? I dont want to be mean but you must be joking.

Edited by zealex.9410

It has to be in the pipeline somewhere already. They are doing the finishing touches on End of Dragons, so, unless the writers are also the level-designers, "pre-production" on post-expansion content must have already begun. But why would or should they talk about that before the expansion is out? And why are we looking so far ahead? Are you planning on burning through the whole of EoD in a week?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Why would Season 6 be "in the works" when all resources are better placed on the upcoming expansion, which is not finished and done yet?

Because the writers, I think, have already finished their work on EoD a long time ago. Unless they are also part of the production or QA staff, they would have nothing to do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MikeG.6389 said:

Because the writers, I think, have already finished their work on EoD a long time ago. Unless they are also part of the production or QA staff, they would have nothing to do.

Exactly, similarly the environment artists must be mostly finished, it's quite likely that a lot of the people who worked on the expansion must be done with their part. What are they to do? Pace up and down behind the people working on balance and bugs? No, far better for them to move onto whatever comes after EoD.

Edited by Pifil.5193
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, MikeG.6389 said:

Because the writers, I think, have already finished their work on EoD a long time ago.

Ahh, gotcha. Sorry, my bad for not reading the whole OP properly - it was late (<--always a good excuse! :classic_biggrin: )

I hope we are getting good stories like those of the raid wings for a change. I'm tired of GW2 always trying to come up with epic themes and then failing miserably in their execution - sometimes independent, shorter stories can provide a lot more depth (and thereby excitement), because you don't feel the constant pressure of "epic scaling" as a writer. GW2 doesn't do epic very well.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Ahh, gotcha. Sorry, my bad for not reading the whole OP properly - it was late (<--always a good excuse! :classic_biggrin: )

Really, nothing to feel sorry for. I chose writers because I was more sure about their roles, but probably there are a whole bunch of departments that are already past their involvement with EoD. Concept artists, designers, even modellers, in my mind, should not still be working on stuff for an expansion coming out in just over three months (?) They might already be quality testing and optimising a practically finished product. That's a lot of people with nothing to do, if they are not working on what comes after the expansion, whatever that may end up being.

• Like 1

Of course they know ahead of what is about come after EoD. You can heavily criticize the HoT era for having season 3 being out 9 months after the launch of HoT, but the thing is they certainly did not put that Balthazar hero challenge in auric basin out of randomness.

I really can’t imagine there isn’t some work that has been done in post-EOD content. With only a couple months to release, it may be crunch time right now with everyone pouring into polishing EOD, but there surely has been groundwork done for future content. Production pipelines aren’t so fast that they can wait for something to be fully released before starting the next thing.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3