Can't launch game after the November 9, 2021 update

Hello ,

So when i hit play after logging in the game never opens , i have read around on multi forums and tried a lot of fixes but none have seemed to worked. I've updated all my drivers uninstalled and re installed the game multi times direct x is the latest and have also run the -repair etc i would just like to know does anyone have any ideas ?OS: Win 10

Many thanks

• Like 1

For Windows 10, this can be caused by overlays / stuff that hooks into the graphics, such as MSI Afterburner / RivaTuner, Shadowplay, Discord, Windows game bar; anything that overlays on the screen or records it. It can also happen simply by GW2 not recognizing your display resolution. Force windowed mode using -windowed, and you may also need to delete the folder %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/, which will reset your hardware-related settings.

• 6 months later...

This stuff too could help. It was a Q and A on the GW2 site for something similar. I'll post the Q and the A. The Q - "I moved the file "GW2.exe" to a folder and launched it, but it immediately crashed. What’s wrong?"Gw2 answer : Are you an administrator on your computer or on Windows Vista / 7?

You may need administrator privileges to run the client or access the folder in which your game client is located. Try starting Gw2.exe by right-clicking on the file and selecting Run as Administrator.

Is the folder that contains the game set to "Read Only?"

The client needs to add files to the game folder before it can run properly. To ensure that it is able to make changes, right-click on your Guild Wars 2 folder and select Properties. From here, un-check the option for “Read-Only” and left click on Ok to save your changes.

Have you updated your video card drivers recently?

AMD users can find the latest drivers for their video card here.Nvidia users can find the latest driver for their video card here.Do you have Windows 7 Service Pack 1 installed?

Guild Wars 2 is not supported without this service pack. In many cases, downloading the service pack has helped resolve issues that prevent the game from launching or cause it to crash.

Please visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ to download and install any critical updates you're missing.

Do you have DirectX 9 installed?

Similar to the service pack, Guild Wars 2 requires DirectX 9 to be installed before it will run properly. You can download the latest DirectX 9.0c drivers here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Hope one of these things help.

• 11 months later...

@Healix.5819 said:For Windows 10, this can be caused by overlays / stuff that hooks into the graphics, such as MSI Afterburner / RivaTuner, Shadowplay, Discord, Windows game bar; anything that overlays on the screen or records it. It can also happen simply by GW2 not recognizing your display resolution. Force windowed mode using -windowed, and you may also need to delete the folder %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/, which will reset your hardware-related settings.

Reviving this thread, in case anyone else comes across it. This solution fixed it for me. I was getting a GW-64.exe error every time the game launched. The audio would play, but the video wouldn't load. After turning off MSI and RivaTuner, game booted just fine.

• 2 years later...

Game launches, is invisible. When I alt-tab, I can't click on anything, I have to navigate via keyboard to terminate the game.

Edit:

Seeing a lot of people rebooting or logging out.

To be clear, I just open task manager and terminate the game.

Edited by Boneheart.3561
  • Like 4