Can't launch game after the November 9, 2021 update

Alright I have found a fix that works for me. This was an issue I had when I ran it with WinXP.

1 Create a GW2 shortcut to your desktop

2 right click and select properties

3 where the file location is show in the " "

4 type space -windowed

5 when the game loads up to character select screen

5 select options

6 graphics options the double triangle icon

7 select the first dropdown screen

8 choose windowed full screen

9 minimize the game

10 right click the shortcut again and remove the -windowed from the location

11 go back into the game

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ScottSlemmons.1864 said:

Honestly kinda amazed they didn't even test the patch before uploading it. And that 8+ hours have passed since the first bug reports, and they can't manage to either fix the patch or roll it back.

In fairness, the last patch was the Halloween update, so unless you wanna go back to Halloween again, that's not really an option for them. lol

Anyway. Just do what I did and set Compatibility to Windows 8.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ace Palarum.9506 said:

For what it's worth, I switched my sound from my speakers to the (crummy) speakers in my monitor (mentioned earlier in this thread) and ran as admin, it opened fine. Kinda annoying to have to use the lousy speakers though. Fingers crossed for a quick fix.

Change Compatibility to Windows 8.

• Confused 2

Having the same issue here except for me its not intermittent. I can't get in game at all (just hear background music is all).

EDIT - ok well this is what worked for me. Started the game in windowed mode by appending -windowed to the shortcut. Then when the character select screen finally loads up, go into settings and change it to Window Fullscreen.  Any other aspect ratio crashes the game...

Edited by gwjacleu.9758

30 minutes ago, Grace.7250 said:

I can't log into the game since the most recent update.  I have deleted the appdata/temp/gw2cache and turned windows off of game mode.  

When I try to load the game It completely locks up my game so that I can't do anything and I have to reboot the computer in order to use my PC.

I think that i have the same thing, but try this: press CTRL+ALT+DEL, then choose "sign off", after that you probably will be able to log on again.. you should be back in a fresh windows without the need to reboot..

Edited by GODh.3892
  • Like 1

Same here. I log in no problem but when the game is supposed to launch it shows the icon in the task bar and I hear the music but I see nothing. It is like the game is invisible. The computer acts like the game is launched as I cannot click anything else. I tried doing Alt+tab and clicking the X to close the game but that did not work. I tried to launch Task Manager to close out the game but then I could not use the Task Manager as the computer thought I was in the game again. I have been forced to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot the computer just to close out the game. Please fix this ASAP.

I have also submitted a ticket (I have been told Anet is aware of this issue now and working on it) which includes all the files necessary to see what errors there are:
(Not attached here of course but these are the names)

DxDiag.txt(80 KB)

Crash.dmp(500 KB)

Arenanet.log(100 KB)

NetworkDiag.log(100 KB)

Trying this now:  Adding this command line to my temp launcher I added to the desktop -windowed

36 minutes ago, Zoot.7190 said:

Indeed, having changed the game to Windowed mode I have no trouble starting the game (tried 5x in a row with no issue).

If you are unable to start the game at all, you may be able to change the game's shortcut to force it into windowed mode via a command-line option:

Command line arguments - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

Edited by Katiekaboom.1980
Quoting and trying that command line for windowed mode

45 minutes ago, superrobotwars.6923 said:

Alright I have found a fix that works for me. This was an issue I had when I ran it with WinXP.

4 type space -windowed

---

This does not work for me... i can see my characters in a windows screen but i still cant do anything.

12 minutes ago, GODh.3892 said:

This does not work for me... i can see my characters in a windows screen but i still cant do anything.

Odd because that worked for me as a temporary fix:
https://i.imgur.com/SpFEAfF.png
Someone in game said they found a d3d9.dll workaround? Not sure what they are talking about but could Direct 3D be an issue?
But yes I can play in windowed mode:
https://i.imgur.com/UNC895q.png

4 minutes ago, Katiekaboom.1980 said:

Odd because that worked for me as a temporary fix:
https://i.imgur.com/SpFEAfF.png

Without the command line paramater i get a black screen. With the command line paramater i can see my chars in a windowed screen (apx 25% of my normal screen), so it does something. But after that i cant click anything or use my keyboard. So i am still stuck.

Same issue - launch as admin, no addons

Starts and hear music but no screen - task manager to close.

Have managed to get in twice but crashed almost immediately, and has just crashed again without being loading into the world

-windowed managed to get me into the world but game crashed again

Cleared %TEMP%, managed to play ok but crash appears to be related to opening the Gem store

Edited by Privateer.2576

6 minutes ago, GODh.3892 said:

Without the command line paramater i get a black screen. With the command line paramater i can see my chars in a windowed screen (apx 25% of my normal screen), so it does something. But after that i cant click anything or use my keyboard. So i am still stuck.

There is an xml file in roaming that can be edited for your resolution settings outside of game for the game itself but I would suggest just being patient instead of fiddling with that as Anet IS working on a permanent fix as fast as they possibly can. They are getting a LOT of ticket submissions and working on this as we speak.