Can't launch game after the November 9, 2021 update

Since I had audio, but video was failing, I checked my video card drivers.  I did have an update downloaded and waiting to be applied.  I did the update, restarted the computer, and everything is working fine. 

If one isn't compulsive about video driver updates, once might want to check on those.

Adding -windowed worked for me. Then go to options and set it to windowed full screen, Anything else hard locks the PC. Cant even close the client with task manager but i can log out then restart using task manager.

"C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -windowed

Edited by Dewdman.5684
  • Thanks 1

Edit your desktop short cut to this. Your client exe might be in another spot but this is the default on mine. Forcing it into windowed mode with -windowed is whats important

"C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -windowed

Then go to video options and change it to Windowed Full Screen.

None of the other work arounds did anything. They all hard locked the PC. Could not even close the client with task manager.

Edited by Dewdman.5684

Same here.  It happens after entering name and password.   You can hear game music but nothing more.   Task manager is also frozen and I have to use control, alt, delete and use sign out to try again.   The suggestions from other players are good but I'm leaving it alone as this is a Anet problem and not my computer.   Will just wait it out and hope we get a patch soon to correct it.

• Like 1

Been having the same issue, would start up GW2 Client and then my computer would freeze. Was able to get it to work last night by renaming the .exe file to .exe.old but now this morning it didn't work.

Updating my Graphics Card Drivers & Firmware seem to have fixed my issue. I am currently in-game now.

11/11 Update - Having the same issues again, open up game and only can hear the music and computer freezes up.

Edited by thummsup.3189

I am having this same issue and I searched RivaTuner and MSI, not sure what either is. Its a brand new laptop about a month old. It worked fine early this morning around 1:30am when I logged out. Game updated then I am having this issue. Searched online for other fixes as repairing the client did not work. My game isnt crashing, after logging in then hit the play button the game screen doesnt pop up but I hear the music from the game but I am unable to navigate anything. On Reddit, someone mentioned d3d9.dll and d3d9.dll error files but I dont see either of them within my gw2 folder. When someone says the term "windowed" what are you referring to?

Edited by Erin.1948

21 minutes ago, Erin.1948 said:

I am having this same issue and I searched RivaTuner and MSI, not sure what either is. Its a brand new laptop about a month old. It worked fine early this morning around 1:30am when I logged out. Game updated then I am having this issue. Searched online for other fixes as repairing the client did not work. My game isnt crashing, after logging in then hit the play button the game screen doesnt pop up but I hear the music from the game but I am unable to navigate anything. On Reddit, someone mentioned d3d9.dll and d3d9.dll error files but I dont see either of them within my gw2 folder. When someone says the term "windowed" what are you referring to?

Same here!! As soon as I updated the game I started having this problem which whenever I launch it even though it opens it does not run properly. Can hear the ingame sound normally however there are no visuals and cannot alt+tab or anything which forces me to reset my computer. No other game has this problem either.

So this issue has still not been fixed and for me it has been a problem for about 25 hours or more. Every time I try to log into the game, I barely get out of the launcer and my computer freezes. I then have to repeatedly restart my computer to "clean out all of the bs related to that freeze" so that I can do literally anything on my computer. Gigantic pain in the rearend, and still can't play GW2. VERY frustrating. I will no longer even try to log in until there is a patch :) I should not have to delete folders or jump through any other hoops like that to get the game to work. This should be fixed, in a timely manner, by the developer! That is what they get paid to do!!!!!

nice seen some issues over the year but this is some kind of new  yes i go to start the game  and all i get is the music can close the window have to restart my comp after i hit windows key and still hear music after reading threw all the posts im like its not me  so why try but  Arena Net Needs  To Get this FIXED ASAP  

4 minutes ago, Felsig.7651 said:

So this issue has still not been fixed and for me it has been a problem for about 25 hours or more. Every time I try to log into the game, I barely get out of the launcer and my computer freezes. I then have to repeatedly restart my computer to "clean out all of the bs related to that freeze" so that I can do literally anything on my computer. Gigantic pain in the rearend, and still can't play GW2. VERY frustrating. I will no longer even try to log in until there is a patch 🙂 I should not have to delete folders or jump through any other hoops like that to get the game to work. This should be fixed, in a timely manner, by the developer! That is what they get paid to do!!!!!

For the time being been just playing my old PS3 games to kill time lol.

It's an issue with fullscreen. If you can manage to get the program to run in windowed/windowed borderless before opening it will work. For example, if you have Nvidia Geforce you can go into the Guild Wars 2 settings (icon of a wrench) and set it to windowed on launch. Hope this helps!

• Like 1