Can't launch game after the November 9, 2021 update

4 hours ago, Coda.7093 said:

This is how I just got it to work. Right click on your gw2 shortcut, click Properties, then under Target put a space then type -windowed ,Apply, then go ahead and use your shortcut. This forces it into windowed mode (minimized) from which you can click on the fullscreen symbol on the top right.

thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😍

The FIX for ME was running the compatibility troubleshooter - right click on the Gw2-64.exe-> compatibility tab->Run compatibility troubleshooter. It sets the game to Windows 8 compatibility mode and no full screen optimization. Windows 10 64bit Nvidia GPU. 

Before this I tested everything - deleted bin64 folder, deleted gw2 folder in AppData/Roaming, running Repair, changed nvidia drivers to the latest - no luck 😞  Running the game in windowed mode but after resizing the game freezes.

Strange thing is I was playing the whole day after the patch without problem then logged off for sleep and when I wake up the problem was here. My suspicions are this have something to do with Windows Update - there were some Windows Updates AFTER the GW2 patch.

Edited by baxyp.2495
  • Like 2

they had two days to fix it and nothing.... not something you would expect from major studio but then again maybe Anet isnt one anymore , who knows why they cant do stuff right these days.  You can just imagine expansion mayhem if this is any indicator of the future

Edited by Sarte.7158

On 11/9/2021 at 7:20 PM, Brasetvik.1609 said:

I might have a fix, in windows 10 turn off "windows 10 game mode"

You can search for: Game mode
and should find it.

Still Anet should really fix this so we can run the game with Game Mode ON.

I have the same problem since yesterday, and turning Game Mode OFF allowed me to launch the game today. I've only tried this once though. Yesterday I had to reboot the computer twice before the game managed to launch, and that was with Game Mode ON, so I'm thinking turning it off might just be a fluke and the game would have launched anyway that time. It's a bigger issue this. No word from Anet?

2 hours ago, baxyp.2495 said:

The FIX for ME was running the compatibility troubleshooter - right click on the Gw2-64.exe-> compatibility tab->Run compatibility troubleshooter. It sets the game to Windows 8 compatibility mode and no full screen optimization. Windows 10 64bit Nvidia GPU. 

Before this I tested everything - deleted bin64 folder, deleted gw2 folder in AppData/Roaming, running Repair, changed nvidia drivers to the latest - no luck 😞  Running the game in windowed mode but after resizing the game freezes.

Strange thing is I was playing the whole day after the patch without problem then logged off for sleep and when I wake up the problem was here. My suspicions are this have something to do with Windows Update - there were some Windows Updates AFTER the GW2 patch.

Yep, this is what I'm thinking also. I had a Windows Update after the patch as well. 

18 hours ago, fazo.9182 said:

So, just recapping from my earlier post: for those who have issues and none of the other solutions work: make a shortcut of your gw2-64.exe on the desktop, right click -> properties ->Run : select "maximised". Game starts normaly, not in windowed mode in my case -> play as nothing would have happened. Did it succesfully a few time now.

This worked for me. Thank you, fazo.

• Thanks 1

I used GW2 Launcher and after it updated game won't start.

I can log in but the launcher only plays music and game is running on taskbar. I can't even close the game or anything. It stops task manager to work.

The update did something to GW2 and I can't play.

Please fix.

Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baxyp.2495 said:

I found that putting the GW2 in Compatibility Mode for Windows 8 has worked for me. I have also tried several of the various other suggested solutions, but this compatibility mode seems to be the only one that works for me. Thank you baxyp.2495

• Like 1

"So, just recapping from my earlier post: for those who have issues and none of the other solutions work: make a shortcut of your gw2-64.exe on the desktop, right click -> properties ->Run : select "maximised". Game starts normaly, not in windowed mode in my case -> play as nothing would have happened. Did it succesfully a few time now."

Works for me! THX Skull.8253

I do not think that the problem is in Windows Update, many have not downloaded the update. Window I did not update my windows, and everything works like a clock before exit. This patch I and the game worked great. Like many other players.I found the solution to this problem. But I would like it to be officially, and did not solve the players this problem for yourself.

Edited by Darkstrenjer.5130

The problem is caused by the latest patch... Many players have the same launcher issues as you (there are many posts about it). Anet is working on a fix (but there is hardly any communication with the players about it).

For some people starting the game in windowed mode is a fix, but for me that doesnt work (i cant click anyhing).

For the rest, all we can do is wait for the fix.

Edited by GODh.3892
annoying extra whitelines
  • Like 1