Soulbeasts, what pets do you use for solo content and why?

Arklite.4013

I play power soulbeast and I'm interested in exploring some unconventional pets. I've been using almost exclusively smokescale for the past year and started trying out some other pets. One I've found particularly interesting is the krytan drakehound, with two leaps and a CC on its F1/F2 skills. I'm most interested in pet skills that include mobility and CC (rock gazelle is a good example) and have a faint hope that maybe a wolf or something is secretly really fun

Try the Juevenile Siamoth with Soulbeast.

Unmerged it does Jab, Maul and Brutal Charge knocking stuff down.

Its a  Stout pet so adds toughness and vitality when merged. Then you have the nice merged skills

F1 - Maul - it actually hits twice. In WvW mode (not sure about PvP)  it hits harder than GS Maul. You end up with two mauls from Siamoth and two from the GS/Hilt Bash combo - adds up to a lot of damage.
F2 - Brutal Charge - an on demand knockdown.
F3 - Unflinching Fortitude - take no damage for 4s, removes movement imparing conditions (cripple/chilled/immobilisation) and it is a stunbreak.

Quite a nice variety of skills.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy.5981 said:

Try the Juevenile Siamoth with Soulbeast.

Unmerged it does Jab, Maul and Brutal Charge knocking stuff down.

Its a  Stout pet so adds toughness and vitality when merged. Then you have the nice merged skills

F1 - Maul - it actually hits twice. In WvW mode (not sure about PvP)  it hits harder than GS Maul. You end up with two mauls from Siamoth and two from the GS/Hilt Bash combo - adds up to a lot of damage.
F2 - Brutal Charge - an on demand knockdown.
F3 - Unflinching Fortitude - take no damage for 4s, removes movement imparing conditions (cripple/chilled/immobilisation) and it is a stunbreak.

Quite a nice variety of skills.

I wish we had a ferocious pig family pet.

Owl/Eagle is a nice combo. Tiger is very good for damage. Smokescale is good whenever you need some CC, I usually run Beastly Warden with it.

I pretty much just pop in and out of beast mode  so often that it doesn't actually matter what pet is being used since it just gets the F2 used, then I go back into beast mode, so its just picked situationally upon that. Sadly, it doesn't make that much of an impact which one you choose. So you are mostly better off with mobility.

For PvP I use Siamoth/Owl.

I think Boar/Krytan Drakehound will be my favorite combo for Untamed.

17 hours ago, Etaoin.4362 said:

As a stance-beast roamer, I like snow owl: mobility and healing are must-haves for my sanity. It's also decent for lots of PvE content as well, albeit slower than more conventional power-beast pets (re: smokescale).

Fernhound is also quite nice for that. A bit less mobility but some hard CC that comes in handy in some occassions.

My fern hound Faunora and I are always together! The extra leap finishers pair well with traps. If using dagger, you get 2 leaps + 2 more when in beast mode. After laying down Healing Spring, that's alot of extra healing.

When soloing a champion or higher enemies, I usually use the Jacaranda for extra condi clens and healing.

The cool thing about Soulbeast is how versatile it is. Just as a fun example: If you take a snow owl or artic wolf, axe main hand (for winters bite), frost spiritfrost and then lay down frost trap and do the use a leap through it (for the frost aura), most weaker enemies become pushovers with the level of chill you inflict upon them. Obviously not meta, but fun to use. I think rangers can have the most fun with all the combinations we can create.

Hope you settle on somthing you find fun!

• Like 2

Condi damage Soulbeast and I love using the iboga. I think it's cute in a weird way, I like the way it moves. I'm built mostly for bleed/poison damage, but the confusion and torment from the iboga is still a fun addition. I also use the bristleback when I want to maximize my bleed DPS... it's another one I think is cute in an ugly way. 

I also really love the jacaranda, even if it doesn't synergize well with my build. It's so goofy, I love listening to the stupid buzz it makes. I named mine Cranky Turnip lol.

Edited by kettering.6823
  • Like 1

Depends on the game mode and type of ranger I’m playing,

pve - smoke scale or gazelle for power builds

- hawk for poison master condi builds

wvw - wolf for my celebeast build

- hawk for my poison master plague doctor condi soulbeast

- smokescale for pew pew power ranger soulbeast 

pvp - smokescale when playing pew pew soulbeast

- hawk for poison master condi soulbeast.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Draeyon.4392 said:

Hyena.

My main roaming build (full cele) excels with this pet. More boon duration means more might, quickness and protection.

Also 2 CCs and a leap.

I like this build so much that it's the one I use for solo/open world PvE as well.

Can you share a link? I’m building a cele right now and would be interested in your build. Thanks!

Edited by Weirik.2913

I mostly use smokescale with my power build too, since it's a great way to generate a lot of stacks of might, particularly combined with Strength of the Pack. Being able to close in on 100k whirling defense bursts is pretty nice.

Condition SB, I mainly use warthog - it's basically the raiding build. Little squishy but things die fast so it doesn't matter that much.

For WvW (longbow build), eagle if I need higher burst damage, snow owl if I need more defense.

19 hours ago, Weirik.2913 said:

Can you share a link? I’m building a cele right now and would be interested in your build. Thanks!

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAweFlZw4YPsOGKeSX7P9BEB-zxIY1oj/QCTCkpQoXVgHnmRcAA-e

Sigils are based on WvW roaming, I just dont bother swapping them for PvE solo.

Bow works over GS depending on situations (change Beastmastery trait).

Food/utilities can be changed to up power damage if you need more burst.
Energy can be swapped for Bloodlust as well if you like stacking sigils.

Muddy Terrain can be swapped for Lightning Reflexes.

One thing I will say about this build is your condition damage is an illusion. Just ignore it and treat it as a tanky power build with high boon duration.