When is GW2 going to get decent framerates like ESO.

ESO released multi-threaded renderer months ago and it's like a whole new game I get constant 60fps while v-sync is on and I have max shadows, view distance and screen space global illumination on and that doesnt' come cheap and my computer is 7 years old!

GW2 I can't even get 30fps as it runs so poorly on my PC I have to wonder if they even know how to optimize the game. Should I buy a new computer or stick with ESO! I'm one person who is in the same  position as millions of people! Pay attention to these things Arenanet!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

ESO released multi-threaded renderer months ago and it's like a whole new game I get constant 60fps while v-sync is on and I have max shadows, view distance and screen space global illumination on and that doesnt' come cheap and my computer is 7 years old!

GW2 I can't even get 30fps as it runs so poorly on my PC I have to wonder if they even know how to optimize the game. Should I buy a new computer or stick with ESO! I'm one person who is in the same  position as millions of people! Pay attention to these things Arenanet!

Go to Settings -> Graphics and check the DirectX 11 (beta) check box (and restart the game for it to take effect.)

The game should run much smoother with fewer framerate drops into "slideshow" territory. Beware, though, there are definitely still some crash bugs for now -- maybe turn it off again before trying to farm Drakkar.

I haven't tried ESO since their engine update but I'd argue they needed it even more than GW2. I remember that game having super low frame rates with a whole lot lower CPU usage than GW2 in DX9 mode.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When ESO has 100 players show up to an event (example: Harrowstorms when Greymoor first released), it can get pretty laggy on my beefy gaming rig too. ESO often runs smooth because most open world events have only a few people show up. Usually no more than 12'ish. When you have 100 players show up, each with their own unique race customization, armour pieces, dyes, then it requires a lot of CPU and GPU activity to manage all those individual geometry, shaders, materials, etc. GW2 by its nature has too many people show up to events and that murders performance if you have your character model limit and quality set to high. Just set it to lower values during those lag spikes and watch the frame rate soar back up to 60. It's the variety and uniqueness of characters that sting your FPS more than anything. And there's a limit to just how much you can optimize that.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Blude.6812 said:

Games plays smooth and fine for me. I don't bother wasting time counting the frames, complaining and then emphasizing that a competitors  game does better.

This is actually great advice!

Back in the day (yes, I'm an old fogey) when I played Quake and RtCW (Return to Castle Wolfenstein) competitively, I would obsess over framerates and squeezing every last drop of performance from my system.

Over time, I realised I was spending more time watching framerates and optimising games than I was actually comfortable with, so I stopped showing the FPS counter.

And my gaming experience got a lot more relaxing!

Edited by Mungrul.9358
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

DX11 actually improved it a lot so far and should lead to more improvements down the line hopefully. I can actually run the game along side another game and a billion chrome tabs easier without it bleeding all it's FPS anymore since I tend to multitask often.

(FFXIV does it really well since it uses less resources the moment it's out of focus.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nate.8146 said:

When ESO has 100 players show up to an event (example: Harrowstorms when Greymoor first released), it can get pretty laggy on my beefy gaming rig too. ESO often runs smooth because most open world events have only a few people show up. Usually no more than 12'ish. When you have 100 players show up, each with their own unique race customization, armour pieces, dyes, then it requires a lot of CPU and GPU activity to manage all those individual geometry, shaders, materials, etc. GW2 by its nature has too many people show up to events and that murders performance if you have your character model limit and quality set to high. Just set it to lower values during those lag spikes and watch the frame rate soar back up to 60. It's the variety and uniqueness of characters that sting your FPS more than anything. And there's a limit to just how much you can optimize that.

Disable name tag in Option and you will see a better performance as each tag for player character (depend on other tags like Neutral NPCs, Objects and hostile which also can be enbled or disabled in Options and keybind to show when needed). This only works on those player that arent in your squad as grouped in party or squad will show name tag along with HP.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

DX11 actually improved it a lot so far and should lead to more improvements down the line hopefully. I can actually run the game along side another game and a billion chrome tabs easier without it bleeding all it's FPS anymore since I tend to multitask often.

(FFXIV does it really well since it uses less resources the moment it's out of focus.)

What you are describing sound more on how much RAM that Windows need to allocate for each app including GW2 client. Windows over the years have had issues with garbage cleaning which means when an app is not in the main focus (or have high priority) those ressource should be released and when an app have been closed those ressources should be stopped from reserving RAM.

This isn't an easy task for MS to solve as there are older apps that still need to be able to work (remember that not every app have been coded in 64 bit). As for web browser that are designed today to be able to hold several tabs active and responsive as fast as one change to another tab or window, but that also creates problems with how allocation of resources need to work. Some sites are heavy and make use of scrips and other things in background which also will have an impact on how well other apps like GW2 client can run. Fullscreen (the original one) gave highest priority to games, but did also cause problems when one want to change into apps that are on desktop (that includes web browser).

Boarderless Window means that app (games) run at the same priority as all other Windows apps (less problems when game will crash as it now will not need to wait until that app have been closed - or forced to close from Windows after some time, if possible).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_collection_(computer_science)

Make sure reflections aren't set to "All" and don't use supersampling unless you absolutely need to. Also set limit of characters to medium. And yeah DX11. Game should run fine on most config after that.

FYI, when I travel/just want to play casual I can run it on an intel nuc hades (small factor desktop) and the game runs with everything in high except what's mentioned above. I limit it to 30 fps to not push the system too push, but it runs just fine.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 2:52 PM, Redfeather.6401 said:

Vsync is the badest thing you can turn on. It increases input lag.

ArenaNet Fulop is working hard everyday to bring dx11 and with it better mutlithreading support to Gw 2. ESO has also bad performance expecially in cyro (in fact its even worser than in GW 2) and also worser ping than GW 2.

Edited by Grebcol.5984
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 9:45 AM, Sikil.9817 said:

Go to Settings -> Graphics and check the DirectX 11 (beta) check box (and restart the game for it to take effect.)

The game should run much smoother with fewer framerate drops into "slideshow" territory. Beware, though, there are definitely still some crash bugs for now -- maybe turn it off again before trying to farm Drakkar.

I haven't tried ESO since their engine update but I'd argue they needed it even more than GW2. I remember that game having super low frame rates with a whole lot lower CPU usage than GW2 in DX9 mode.

I have posted in the past about the DX11 in GW2 not giving me better framerate. My PC is old and just switching to DX11 isn't a performance fix. I am CPU bound in my setup and GW2 is not optimized for that.

The ability to create an extra rendering thread in ESO completely changed the game. I went from 35fps at medium settings to 60fps with mixture of high/medium and maxing out view distance and enabled screen space global illumination. The only reason I can only go as high as 60 is because I turned v-sync on and my monitor is 60hz.

I will wait until next year but for now the game's performance is so bad I am taking a break as it is too jarring to play at sub 30 frames.

Even though I am cpu bound these are the games I currently play and I get 60fps as I play with v-sync on. Division 2, ESO, Destiny 2, and Warframe. I have a good GPU just an older CPU is all. To replace my CPU I would have to get a new motherboard altogether.

Edited by Redfeather.6401

40 minutes ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

I have posted in the past about the DX11 in GW2 not giving me better framerate. My PC is old and just switching to DX11 isn't a performance fix. I am CPU bound in my setup and GW2 is not optimized for that.

The ability to create an extra rendering thread in ESO completely changed the game. I went from 35fps at medium settings to 60fps with mixture of high/medium and maxing out view distance and enabled screen space global illumination. The only reason I can only go as high as 60 is because I turned v-sync on and my monitor is 60hz.

I will wait until next year but for now the game's performance is so bad I am taking a break as it is too jarring to play at sub 30 frames.

Even though I am cpu bound these are the games I currently play and I get 60fps as I play with v-sync on. Division 2, ESO, Destiny 2, and Warframe. I have a good GPU just an older CPU is all. To replace my CPU I would have to get a new motherboard altogether.

Looks like your PC should be in a Museum. 😄

The new Intel CPU Core i5-12600K is a good Buy at the moment. Price is good and Performance is very good for Gaming. 

And guys 60Hz is really oldshool. There are good and cheap Monitors with Freesync and 120Hz. When u have more money then u can also buy a Gsync and 165Hz+ with WQHD (sweet spot). As i said Vsnyc is bad because it increases Inputlag significant. Games looks,feels and plays much smoother with modern monitors. 

Edited by Grebcol.5984
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/11/2021 at 2:32 PM, Grebcol.5984 said:

ESO has also bad performance expecially in cyro (in fact its even worser than in GW 2) and also worser ping than GW 2.

The developers have no clue what causes the poor performance in cyrodiil. Some nights people go ecstatic because it's perfect and flawless and there are no problems and then suddenly without reason it's pure garbage. I have no clue why you think it's game wide and constant and relevant.

23 hours ago, Grebcol.5984 said:

Looks like your PC should be in a Museum. 😄

The new Intel CPU Core i5-12600K is a good Buy at the moment. Price is good and Performance is very good for Gaming. 

And guys 60Hz is really oldshool. There are good and cheap Monitors with Freesync and 120Hz. When u have more money then u can also buy a Gsync and 165Hz+ with WQHD (sweet spot). As i said Vsnyc is bad because it increases Inputlag significant. Games looks,feels and plays much smoother with modern monitors. 

I play other games fine. I won't buy a gaming pc and freesync monitor for something like this. Some people are dead serious about gaming and that's okay but not me. I have other games that run fine both newer and older so it's just a matter of my thinking that GW2 needs to be more accessible. If you don't think that is the case then so be it. I tried.

Edited by Redfeather.6401
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

I play other games fine. I won't buy a gaming pc and freesync monitor for something like this. Some people are dead serious about gaming and that's okay but not me. I have other games that run fine both newer and older so it's just a matter of my thinking that GW2 needs to be more accessible. If you don't think that is the case then so be it. I tried.

Such a monitor is an overall upgrade, 60 Hz is antiquated. You can't moan about bad performance when your PC is a potatoe straight out the early 00s. I played ESO for years and  the ping is bad comparing with GW 2. Also the performance isn't that great either even after Dx11 and the year long perf. optimizations (Gw 2 is now at the beginning to change from DX9 to DX11). To say here that ESO runs perfect compared with Gw 2 is a lie. 70% of my guildmates in ESO quitted the game because of horrible Performance and daily DC's (and yes Cyro is a complete Trash, pingspikes over 1000+ and rubberbands + clunky responses) Also the Server technic in Gw 2 is 100 times better than ESO's. Gw 2 as example do not need weekly maintenance downtimes (which many peoples forget). I do not say that ESO is a bad game, in fact im a die hard TES fan since Daggerfall,  but the Hero Engine (even when it is heavily modified) was a bad choice back then. Of course is here alot room open for optimizations and yes also GW 2 doesn't run very good. But it isn't that bad either. WvWvW as example is playable most of the time also in bigger fights. Cyro is a complete lagfest and also Openworld when it is more populated. There is simply no winner between this two games at the moment.

Edited by Grebcol.5984
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/10/2021 at 5:52 AM, Redfeather.6401 said:

Weird, I get 60+ FPS in GW2 with settings a max. Hope you can figure out what is holding you back. 

GW2 has offered updates to engine by way of DX11. If your PC doesn’t benefit from this then that is unfortunate. Just because another game implemented a different method of improving their FPS doesn’t mean anything other than that game was able to fix something unique to its engine. 

If you aren’t interested in upgrading your hardware, you can always strip down your windows install and disable anything that isn’t gaming related to help improve the game quality.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Actually Wooden Potatoes did a few really great videos on the common culprits behind low FPS (with DX9). The biggest ones were shadows and water reflections. When I turned those off and set the character limit appropriately, FPS skyrocketed.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Actually Wooden Potatoes did a few really great videos on the common culprits behind low FPS (with DX9). The biggest ones were shadows and water reflections. When I turned those off and set the character limit appropriately, FPS skyrocketed.

True, but we should not be forced to do that just to gain fps/stability. Game is so old that any part from half a decade ago should run it well. 

GW2 being a Powerpoint show even with high end computers is ridiculous. 

GW2 is like brushing a tangled hair. Every now and then you get fps drop spike aka the brush gets stuck in some tangled hair

• Like 1
  • Confused 3