Congrats to Anet and the GW2 team! Best Quarter in a long time!

Opopanax.1803

While highest revenue in years doesn't say that much yet after the financial (and general) fiasco of the double LW season and primarily Icebrood Saga, I'm glad to see that EoD is finally reversing the trend and reclaiming the ground lost by those record lows. 

If it's release quarter will be able to catch up to PoF or especially HoT still remains to be seen (although a falling giant gives it good chances), but let's hope the trajectory continues and that Anet has a decent plan for post-expansion support (this time hopefully including support for long term engaging content such as Fractals, Strikes, WvW, PvP and Guild Systems, rather than just OW/Story), as well as a swifter transition into Expansion 4 this time around - if they are finally serious about focusing on supporting GW2 properly, rather than spreading themselves too thin on (so far entirely failed/cancelled) side projects again.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, radda.8920 said:

Going from 16 to 19k, not even 20% increase. Besides the previous expansions had a much larger increase and PoF had risen to 25k. There's really 0 hype for the extension.

HoT was 20026 to 22470 (12%). PoF was 13557 to 20145 (49%), but that was also the launch quarter. The influxes from EoD's teasers are also much higher than HoT's. If they can keep up the current trend, EoD will be their best expansion year.

Edited by Healix.5819
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

@Andy.5981 the problem seems to be Bigger (since you actually crash the game if you open the gemshop and the blacklion shop) Actually the reason why some are Effekted might be that (as for me) the dx 9 Version seems to be complete down (can log in but then blackscreen). At least the dx 11 Version works fine as long as you dont open the Shop.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Nice fail... I don't know how you dit it but good job ArenaNet, even with a full fanservice expansion you are not able to sell it.

I miss the old Guild Wars and the HYPE when HoT got an announcement. GW2 is slowly failing in the mist, laughted by MMO players, behind WoW, FFXIV, TESO and even SWTOR.

Fishing is not a great content you know.

Edited by Mizuira.8245
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Swagger.1459 said:

Bc they merged multiple threads. If you could be bothered you would have realized that those 28 pages were the accumulation of 3 years. Also, if you could be bothered to look for dev posts, then someone wouldn’t have had to point it out to you. 

Bashing Anet doesn’t resolve the problem quicker.

Edit - Hmm, actually you are partially right, some of the posts are from October 2021. The majority are however from Tuesday. So I will apologise.

The advice however remains filed under B.

Edited by Andy.5981
  • Sad 1

Game is about to surpass both 2019 and 2020 in revenue, it's already close without Q4 sales, which is very good. Now because I see some comments about the "hype" and how much of it the new expansion generates, let's take a look at the game's performance 2 quarters before the launch of HOT and POF.

EOD will launch in Q1 2022, Q3 2021 has a revenue of 19199 and is expected for Q4 2021 to be higher.

POF launched near the end of Q3 2017 but most sales were in Q4 2017 with a revenue of 34903. Q3 2017 had a revenue of 20145 and Q2 2017 13350.

HOT launched in Q4 2015 with a revenue of 37331, Q3 2015 was at 20699 and Q2 2015 was at 22470.

To summarize the financials:

2 quarters before the launch of EOD the game has a revenue of 19199

2 quarters before the launch of POF the game had a revenue of 13350

2 quarters before the launch of HOT the game had a revenue of 22470

So in the same timeframe EOD is doing better than POF (by almost 6000) while being behind HOT (by 3000)

All values in KRW million won.

I think some people forgot that Q3 2021 isn't the launch quarter of EOD and are comparing the performance of past expansion launches with this one, which doesn't make any sense. If we become more reasonable and compare how the game's revenue was 2 quarters before expansion launch (to judge the effect of the expansions on the game) we can see that EOD is doing fine.

Worth noting that in the HOT prelaunch quarter revenue dropped, instead of going up, we will see how the prelaunch quarter of EOD will look like.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 11/11/2021 at 9:57 PM, DrKoss.9023 said:

Meanwhile NCsoft lost more than half of its earnings year to year. GW2 is but a drop in a bucket compared to other NC titles. This should be concerning. If NCsoft goes down, so does ArenaNet.

Yep, the game made more than before but that isnt still a lot. It's an improvement. Let us hope that EoD is a great hit so they might actually release some content other than new maps with same old events

• Confused 2