Make 'Daily Dungeon' a Permanent Addition to the Daily Tasks

Ehntu.2604

Hi Team,

I would like to suggest that like the 'Daily Gather' or 'Daily Vista', we have a permanent additional objective that is 'Daily Dungeon'. Dungeons don't need their own category like Fractals or Strikes, but adding one extra option to contribute to the daily total as it cycles through one path of the eight dungeons, going each day chronically from Ascalonian Catacombs to the City of Arah, and repeating.

Dungeons are consistenly regarded as abandoned content with very little activation or on-going incentive for players to return to. Even though the rewards are still useful, and periodically people have interest, the LFG is usually pretty empty and anyone that tries to start a group will have to a wait a long time for it to fill up. Additionally, people who want to play story seem to give up, because there is no incentive to play through story mode since it gives no actual reward. 

However, every time a dungeon path enters the Daily rotation, a lot of people understandably want to play through and the entire map and LFG comes alive again. The argument for why adding Daily Dungeon would be a good addition:

1. This gives people - including new players - a chance to reliably engage with the story mode of the dungeon. A rotating schedule would allow you to plan and reliably experience the intented story of the main quest, which I am sure a lot of users haven't played. These are interesting, crucial beats in the Guild Wars 2 story, and offer a deeper insight into the relationships and chemistry with the original characters of Destiny's Edge. They also give your character an expanded inclusion in the universe, and there is great voice acting and additionally animated cut scenes that are great and never seen!
  2. It allows users to revist unique mechanics, maps and appreciate the artistry and environments that were created and intended to be engaged with. These dungeons were created to be played and enjoyed, and they are currently very untapped - they are great pieces of content that are just as interesting as Fractals. Some people bang on about how dungeons are scrappy and an embarrassment that ArenaNet wants hidden, but this would also give people a regular engagement with them, meaning more people can understand and discover how to deal with these. Also, while I would say mechanically story instances are better since Heart of Thorns, the quality and gameplay is on the same high standard as Visions of the Past Season 1 interactions and Season 2.
  3. It re-activates the LFG for dungeons, without any need to build new assets. Dungeon rewards are just appropriate, and the daily incentive of recieving 100 tokens from a daily path is an excellent way for players to aim for completing weapon and armor sets, or saving for a legendary. The daily can even be dropped slightly to aim for longer retention.
  4. To a lesser extent, it populates core maps where little meta and additional events take place. It's always nice to see a map activated with chat and many people standing around, in otherwise abandoned or extremely quiet maps. Dredgehaunt Cliffs and Cursed Shore are examples of maps that are usually quite empty without large metas that people regularly engage in. It's also great to see areas uncontested and unlocked (like Citadel of Flames, or Cruicble of Eternity). 
  5. They're really fun, and people should play them more. It's also a great opportunity to run a new character through, and I would argue that if casual players are doing it regularly they will see how  They just are. 

With EoD coming soon, we can anticipate that regular tasks in the daily tasks set be changed to fit new content. No further changes are required to reactive dungeons other than added them to the player's regular radar. I've so enjoyed people running throught Citadel of Flames today, and also when exploring Arah's paths the other day when it was in the daily rotation. I am yet to experience toxicity and rage from people particularly who want to run through story, which seems welcoming and achiveable, even if you don't have the best and optimal buid. Please consider adding in Daily Dungeons and getting people back into this aspect of the game! 😄

ETA: I'm expecting this to be merged or moved but I thought this might be a good discussion for general play, over specifically taking about the dungeon strats. Sorry if not in the right place!

Edited by SammyB.1590
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

You can still find groups for AC and TA pretty easily. AC's monk runes are meta for healers and TA has the only meta condi rune as almost all meta PVE condi builds need that sweet 20% expertise to support more than 1 condition. You might have to start the group yourself, but people will join. I support your notion though. I love dungeons, but maybe only because I joined after they were "abandoned" content so I never got a real reason to spam them. 

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

What does that have to do with whether dungeons are abandoned or not?

If they're abandoned content, you'd hope the devs would provide a relevant alternative method for aquiring them through the replacement. It's a terrible design choice to say "we don't care about this content and don't want people playing it" and then keep some of the best rewards in the game in them imo. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

If they're abandoned content, you'd hope the devs would provide a relevant alternative method for aquiring them through the replacement.

Here you go:

• The PvP/WvW Dungeon reward tracks give you a total of 240 of the chosen dungeon's currency. With boosters, it takes less than 4 hours to finish a track and they are repeatable. 
  • The Tryrian Exchange Voucher gives you 300 of any dungeon currency. Buy them during festivals. It is also a common drop from Black Lion Chests. The least efficient way, but a way.
  • The fastest one: chuck 4 of the cheapest rare runes into the Mystic Forge. It takes a while until you get a full set of the wanted superior rune, but not that long. That's how I got my monk runes. With considerable profit, too. 

None of these are new methods, not even close. Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

If they're abandoned content, you'd hope the devs would provide a relevant alternative method for aquiring them through the replacement. It's a terrible design choice to say "we don't care about this content and don't want people playing it" and then keep some of the best rewards in the game in them imo. 

Where has Anet said that they didn't want people playing dungeons?  By being abandoned, it only means that the content does not receive any attention from the developers. 

• Like 3

Daily Dungeon > Daily Event Completer.

Seriously, I have nightmares over running after events for half an hour only to arrive to a hundred players smashing a Champion ranked enemy open just by attacking from their mounts.

I've come to avoid that daily at all costs. It should be changed to Daily Event Misser.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I like this suggestion. It doesn't hurt anyone and dungeons might see a little more play. Personally I usually do the daily dungeon when it's availabe and thus wouldn't mind them being a daily option. It's a nice casual and relaxed activity to have with the guild or friends, yet slightly more demanding than open world stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm very much on board with making Dungeons alive again but two thing i like to know is: they can be done very fast if the group know what to do and Ascalonian Catacombs paths can be combined through glitch

If they are poplated again will Anet nerf the rewards? Will they try to fix dungeosn when they're known for "spaghetti code"?

These are options, but they're all kind of bad. I'm glad you listed them here for people who are desperate, but this is why this still sucks:

The PvP/WvW Dungeon reward tracks give you a total of 240 of the chosen dungeon's currency. With boosters, it takes less than 4 hours to finish a track and they are repeatable. 

There's an opportunity cost in Mystic clovers here. This is why the dungeon and holiday tracks are normally so undervalued. And it would take way less than 4 hours to farm the currency from PuGing the dungeon unless we're talking Arah.

The Tryrian Exchange Voucher gives you 300 of any dungeon currency. Buy them during festivals. It is also a common drop from Black Lion Chests. The least efficient way, but a way.

Festivals aren't every day, you can only buy 1 a week and some are ridiculously expensive. It took about 30-40g/week to get my voucher weekly last festival and I needed it for something else. 

•  

• The fastest one: chuck 4 of the cheapest rare runes into the Mystic Forge. It takes a while until you get a full set of the wanted superior rune, but not that long. That's how I got my monk runes. With considerable profit, too. 

None of these are new methods, not even close. Good luck.

Many players hate RNGesus, this shouldn't be meta. 

Again, I'm glad you pointed it out for less experienced players, but if you don't like competitive or RNGesus, you're screwed pretty hard waiting for a festival, and even then, it's time gated and sometimes very expensive. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

These are options, but they're all kind of bad. I'm glad you listed them here for people who are desperate, but this is why this still sucks:

There's an opportunity cost in Mystic clovers here. This is why the dungeon and holiday tracks are normally so undervalued. And it would take way less than 4 hours to farm the currency from PuGing the dungeon unless we're talking Arah.

Festivals aren't every day, you can only buy 1 a week and some are ridiculously expensive. It took about 30-40g/week to get my voucher weekly last festival and I needed it for something else. 

•  

Many players hate RNGesus, this shouldn't be meta. 

Again, I'm glad you pointed it out for less experienced players, but if you don't like competitive or RNGesus, you're screwed pretty hard waiting for a festival, and even then, it's time gated and sometimes very expensive. 

You asked for relevant alternative ways to acquire runes. The ones I gave you are both relevant (provide a method to acquire the items you want) and alternative (definitely different from doing the dungeons). That you don't like these methods, is your prerogative.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, MikeG.6389 said:

You asked for relevant alternative ways to acquire runes. The ones I gave you are both relevant (provide a method to acquire the items you want) and alternative (definitely different from doing the dungeons). That you don't like these methods, is your prerogative.

Really? Sounds like you didn't read my post:

If they're abandoned content, you'd hope the devs would provide a relevant alternative method for aquiring them through the replacement.

The replacement here being fractals dude, and you quoted this verbatim in your post. So how can I get runes from fractals again? You post clearly doesn't teach me how. 

I didn't ask you to write a report of things I already know. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

Really? Sounds like you didn't read my post:

The replacement here being fractals dude, and you quoted this verbatim in your post. So how can I get runes from fractals again? You post clearly doesn't teach me how. 

I didn't ask you to write a 2-page report of things I already know. 

Well, you got me there. I also feel sorry that my posts felt that long to read.

• Haha 2