37,000+ Files In The Latest Update?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You seem to be missing the point ... Anet can't ensure that 47K+ files downloads to a computer in a split second to keep people from complaining about 'forever' being a few minutes.  I was surpri

I'm not pretending anything. I'm suggesting no one really knows why some people have this problem and others don't. I didn't have this problem ... and I downloaded it from the same place you and every

1 minute ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Exactly, you don't know where the bottleneck is happening. There isn't anything to improve ... just go do something else. 

Stop pretending it's not something related to their services.
Impossible for this many ppl to have the same issue otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Friday.7864 said:

Stop pretending it's not something related to their services.

I'm not pretending anything. I'm suggesting no one really knows why some people have this problem and others don't. I didn't have this problem ... and I downloaded it from the same place you and everyone else did. Am I special? NO ... so if the problem is on Anet's end, why was I not affected?

Again, you can't assume this is an Anet problem and even if it is, just deal with it ... the world didn't end. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 2

Does this really need 45K+ files and 100 Mo of Data ?
Aren't we downloading anything else ?

• Fixed an issue in which players who had already looted each of the chests in the Darkrime Delves story mission could not complete the new Treasure Hunter: Darkrime Delves achievement. The hidden chests in Darkrime Delves have been reset for all players. This will not affect existing progress in related achievements.
  • Fixed a client crash.
  • Fixed a bug that caused health scaling and related effects to be removed from enemy champions after their first defeat in Dragonstorm.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I'm not pretending anything. I'm suggesting no one really knows why some people have this problem and others don't. I didn't have this problem ... and I downloaded it from the same place you and everyone else did. Am I special? NO ... so if the problem is on Anet's end, why was I not affected?

Again, you can't assume this is an Anet problem and even if it is, just deal with it ... the world didn't end. 

Why would I just put up with it and deal with it?
Is this how you solve problems in real life? You tell people to deal with it?
It's annoying as hell and affects enough ppl to warrant an investigation on their end!

Edited by Friday.7864
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It does seem unusual that so many players had a very slow download this particular patch, when they didn't usually have download speeds of rarely more than 1Kb/sec.  I know I usually download about 9-10MB/sec.  This time it took around an hour.  And, I wasn't even one of the ones affected by any of the crashes that the update fixed. 

Oh, well...all's well that ends well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
10 minutes ago, Friday.7864 said:

Why would I just put up with it and deal with it?

Because that's the choice we have to do so? See, you label this a problem. That's the point of my post ... It's not. Sometimes you get good speeds on the internet, sometimes you don't. That's not necessarily Anet's fault. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1
Just now, Obtena.7952 said:

Because that's the choice you have to do so? See, you label this a problem. That's the point of my post ... It's not. 

Why would I and a ton of other people be posting and complaining about this if we didn't consider this a problem?! It's not a problem for you so it can't be a problem for others either? Are you that self centered?
Idk if it's a lack of common sense or empathy or if you're just trolling me badly 😂
I can't anymore with you ahahhah
Bye for now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

99% of the files in this patch were delta patches (small changes to existing files), most of which were only around 50 bytes (fun fact, the http headers are around 500 bytes per file). This was simply a rare case where this implementation is incredibly inefficient.

If you want to fake a higher speed, launch with the -nodelta option, which changes the patch from being ~200MB of tiny files to ~3GB of regular files. You can also use -patchconnections 20 to force more simultaneous downloads (default is 10).

Edited by Healix.5819
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1
18 minutes ago, Friday.7864 said:

Why would I and a ton of other people be posting and complaining about this if we didn't consider this a problem?! It's not a problem for you so it can't be a problem for others either? Are you that self centered?
Idk if it's a lack of common sense or empathy or if you're just trolling me badly 😂
I can't anymore with you ahahhah
Bye for now

A ton of other people?  That's a laugh.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1
18 minutes ago, Friday.7864 said:

It's not a problem for you so it can't be a problem for others either? Are you that self centered?

Are you reading what I'm typing? No you aren't. I'm saying you don't know if this is Anet's fault. If it's Anet's fault, why did I not have this problem? You simply don't know if it's something Anet needs to fix. 

• Confused 6
  • Sad 3
2 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Well, if for some magic reason you didn't have to download 30k+ files, i'd definitely want to know why your gw2 installation is so special.

Sure ... and I'm pretty certain it's not because I'm getting preferential treatment from Anet. I mean, I did have to go through all those files (not sure if all were downloads, maybe some were just a checksum or something?) ... it just didn't take 'FOREVER' like some other people did. I was done in about 5 minutes. 

So the valid question here is how anyone can assume the fault is with Anet when not everyone experienced the 'forever' of the download like some other people?

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 3
2 hours ago, Harak.8397 said:

46k here..

Yeah, me too... almost 47k.

1 hour ago, Parthenos Polias.5683 said:

Same here.
Downloading is at 10Ko/Sec  for 47K+Files and 100Mo, I can wait 10 000 sec more than 2 hours.

No such issue on my end.

P.S. What's the meaning of "Ko" and "Mo"? :classic_blink: Did you mean KB and MB per chance?

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Patching right now.

Speed is rather slow most of the time ( a few KB/S), but the number of files remaining diminishes at a constant high speed.

I have the feeling that my game is veryfing all the files but that I am not downloading the entire 45.000+ files, but only the needed ones. At the end, I downloaded around 100 mb. The whole process took maybe 10 minutes,

Sorry for those who had to wait a longer time 😞

Edited by Blanche Neige.7241
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
40 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

99% of the files in this patch were delta patches (small changes to existing files), most of which were only around 50 bytes (fun fact, the http headers are around 500 bytes per file). This was simply a rare case where this implementation is incredibly inefficient.

If you want to fake a higher speed, launch with the -nodelta option, which changes the patch from being ~200MB of tiny files to ~3GB of regular files. You can also use -patchconnections 20 to force more simultaneous downloads (default is 10).

Does it use persistent connections?

• Sad 1
38 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Evidently, according to a certain datacat:

> The reason why you just had to download over 46,000 files for today's update is that all the collision models for every single map (and the map files themselves) in game have been updated

more invisible walls?

• Sad 2