37,000+ Files In The Latest Update?

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Are you reading what I'm typing? No you aren't. I'm saying you don't know if this is Anet's fault. If it's Anet's fault, why did I not have this problem? You simply don't know if it's something Anet needs to fix. 

If that's the case, then there should be no laments about 'disconnects at end of story episodes/missions', as not everyone experiences that.  Or crashing since the last patch, or Gem Store crashes, or launching issues, or black screens, etc., etc.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just downloaded the update. Around 47,000 files and 100 MB. Took me only five minutes but I think I avoided the spike in traffic right after the update went live.

Also, I downloaded 100 MB but the gw2.dat file grew about 500MB in size. I am not surprised about the obvious compression to make the download smaller, but the 500MB of data seems excessive for an update note of three simple (?) fixes. My bet is also on EoD stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

If that's the case, then there should be no laments about 'disconnects at end of story episodes/missions', as not everyone experiences that.  Or crashing since the last patch, or Gem Store crashes, or launching issues, or black screens, etc., etc.

Again, we don't know what disconnects, lag or other internet issues are due to Anet or not. It makes no sense to simply attribute EVERY internet problem to Anet like some people here are doing because they think their internet connection is infallible. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, Zengrath.9570 said:

Is there any official information as to what is in this patch? All i see is 3 pages of complaining, such a waste of time reading all these posts to try and find an official response. Does this forum not have moderators to clean spam up? 

Instead of checking a player made thread in the general forum for the official response you can check the ‘Game Update Notes’ and ‘News and Announcements’ for posts made by ANet staff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

That is a completely different symptom/issue.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

That is a completely different symptom/issue.

How is it a different sympton/issue?  Some people experience an issue; some do not.  Poster states it is not attributable to ArenaNet because he/she did not experience it.  I state that in that case, since not everyone experiences those other issues, they can not be attributable to ArenaNet. 

Or, is it only issues that that one poster doesn't experience? 

I'm not saying the issues point to ArenaNet or do not point to ArenaNet.  I'm saying one can not use "I did not experience it, so it can't be due to ArenaNet" as an excuse; or it can not be used as an excuse for any issues blamed on ArenaNet we see on the forums. 

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Had the same and it was done in like 5 minutes although I have very slow internet (thanks German internet). In less than 1 minute it was playable when I noticed the other stuff takes longer I closed the launcher and opened it again which caused it to run through fast. I usually do this when it takes longer past the playable percent as it often helps. Also I never click play when it isn't fully patched as the game froze multiple times during loading screen (infinite loading bug) in the past after a new content update which could only be canceled through Ctrl+Alt+Delete and then logout and relog into the PC again. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

Instead of checking a player made thread in the general forum for the official response you can check the ‘Game Update Notes’ and ‘News and Announcements’ for posts made by ANet staff. 

Hardly helpful when there isn't anything there relevant to the original question.

I too am curious about why there is such a large update when there isn't any new content patch etc, all I can find is old info about a hotfix but no specifics about it.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Hardly helpful when there isn't anything there relevant to the original question.

I too am curious about why there is such a large update when there isn't any new content patch etc, all I can find is old info about a hotfix but no specifics about it.

the specific question in the post that I quoted was “Is there any official information as to what is in this patch?” The answer to that question was this post  and this post. These two posts are the official information as to what is in the patch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

How is it a different sympton/issue?  Some people experience an issue; some do not.  Poster states it is not attributable to ArenaNet because he/she did not experience it.  I state that in that case, since not everyone experiences those other issues, they can not be attributable to ArenaNet. 

I'm not saying the issues point to ArenaNet or do not point to ArenaNet.  I'm saying one can not use "I did not experience it, so it can't be due to ArenaNet" as an excuse; or it can not be used as an excuse for any issues blamed on ArenaNet we see on the forums. 

Spaghetti code that causes instances to fail is not the same as simple download speeds.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Zengrath.9570 said:

Is there any official information as to what is in this patch?

Officially,
> fixes for an issue with the hidden chests in Darkrime Delves and a bug with enemy champion scaling in Dragonstorm.

Unofficially (per Shaman, quoted on page 2 of this thread),
> The reason why you just had to download over 46,000 files for today's update is that all the collision models for every single map (and the map files themselves) in game have been updated

10 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

we don't know what disconnects, lag or other internet issues are due to Anet or not.

> Hello all, we know that some of you are experiencing issues launching the Guild Wars 2 game client. We have identified the cause of this issue and have a fix ready. Unfortunately, we need to address an unexpected hardware failure in our release pipeline before we are able to get this hotfix to you.

Hopefully this clarifies for everyone what happened in this patch. 🐝

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Parthenos Polias.5683 said:

"Ko" and "Mo" use the unit octet, referring to an 8-bit byte.

"KB" and "MB" use the unit byte. Standard bytes are also 8-bit, but not mandatory. 12, 30, 60-bit bytes also exist.

I've never seen transfer rates using the octet unit. Also didn't know that the unit byte can consist of something other than 8 bit.

Thanks for the explanation.

• Sad 1

For whatever reason the game creates **two** gwcache-{...}  folders in %TEMP% upon launch after the patch. Normally the existing folder (name) just gets replaced by a new one. One of the new folders is empty and the other contains the usual stuff. I noticed this, since I'm running a script after every update which moves the folder contents to a persistent ramdisk and links to it ... (which results in a nice performance boost).

This may be an indication for an improper release which runs two post-installation actions instead of just one.

Edited by xlion.3065
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

How is a disconnect different from a slow speed? What is the difference between a car crash and a traffic jam?

That aside, nobody has been able to figure out the cause of the disconnects. It is a problem that is difficult to diagnose unless it is happening to you.

Meanwhile this can easily come down to SSD versus HDD speeds. It took me around 5 minutes while someone above mentioned 1 hour. That is a speed difference of 12x. Looking just at the speed of my own drives the difference between my fastest and slowest is 72x. I could easily have had or not have this issue depending on where I installed my game.

This issue also has the very obvious 46k multiplier. Even if each file was handled in a blink of an eye(100 ms) it would take more than an hour.

It has also been mentioned above that the alternative was doing a 3GB non-delta patch just to give the appearance of a faster download speed. That would be okay on my current connection but it would have taken over 3 hours on my old connection. People with data caps probably wouldn't appreciate having a 3GB download instead of a ~200MB download.

Then there is the most absurd alternative.  Should the devs stop making changes to the game so player wouldn't have to download the changes?

6 hours ago, xlion.3065 said:

For whatever reason the game creates **two** gwcache-{...}  folders in %TEMP% upon launch after the patch. Normally the existing folder (name) just gets replaced by a new one. One of the new folders is empty and the other contains the usual stuff. I noticed this, since I'm running a script after every update which moves the folder contents to a persistent ramdisk and links to it ... (which results in a nice performance boost).

This may be an indication for an improper release which runs two post-installation actions instead of just one.

That isn't new. It has been doing that for a long time. It has also been very sloppy for a long time by not cleaning up those files. It is also not merely per update. It creates two of those gw2cache folders each time you start the game.

The game also seems to scan through all those files on startup because when I had the files on a very slow disk and had a lot of those temp files around(several GB), the game took a very noticeable amount of time to start up versus basically instantaneous startup after deleting those files.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

@Obtena.7952

Based on the sheer number of confused emotes on your posts on the first page, there's a lot of internet gamers who have zero knowledge of how the internet works.

Seriously, a video game company does not control the internet, people.  Your ISP does control you're gateway connection, though.  ISP means Internet Service Provider.  Your ISP is the one that can throttle connections (y'know, like they did with Netflix about a decade back).  

The fact that the download was quick for some and slow for others eliminates the information package from ArenaNet.  If it was anet's fault, everyone would download it slowly.  That they don't is a connection issue. ArenaNet does not control the internet.    ArenaNet does not control you're internet connection.  

People really need to obtain some rudimentary knowledge of networking.  

Edit:  Before anyone attempts to find a contradiction, the following:

10 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Hello all, we know that some of you are experiencing issues launching the Guild Wars 2 game client.

refers to launching the client, not downloading the patch.  Two separate things.

Edited by Rogue.8235
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1