Why is it more expensive to craft some food items than to buy them on the TP?

13 minutes ago, GW Noob.6038 said:

For example, on GW2 Efficiency it is much more expensive to craft a Loaf of Raspberry Peach Bread than it is to buy it from the TP. Is this stuff dropping from mobs that I don't know about? 😄

Maybe, tho it can also be that some people for example crafted too many of them accidently or by leveling chef, so they sold the rest.

However they surely got too many of them otherwise they wouldnt sell them (or they dont need them anymore) however, they simply want to make it more attractive to u to buy it from them instead of crafting it. I mean players can make their own prices there so they choose a price that makes it attractive to buy (so cheaper than crafting) but still that they get at least some silver out of it (otherwise they would just sell it at vendor or destroy it). Its quite simply like that I think.

Edited by SeTect.5918
33 minutes ago, GW Noob.6038 said:

For example, on GW2 Efficiency it is much more expensive to craft a Loaf of Raspberry Peach Bread than it is to buy it from the TP. Is this stuff dropping from mobs that I don't know about? 😄

Hm... Looks suspect. Probably dropped from the baker's cart.

It's possible that the effects of the Loaf of Raspberry Peach Bread are not desirable and so the supply on the TP is disproportionately large compared to the demand which pushes the price down, i.e. it's cheap because nobody buys the thing. The food's ingredients, however, might be valuable in other recipes that result in items that are much more expensive than the Loaf of Raspberry Peach Bread. Those higher value food items keep these ingredients in higher demand and that's why they are more expensive than some of the food you can cook with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a level 375 discoverable recipe, with 2 crafted ingredients. I bet a lot of people make it as part of levelling up chef and then sell it because they're making more food than they could use and they don't mind making a loss because they still level up the craft.

• Like 3

Also, the biggest misconception of economics is that humans are perfectly rational beings. If the goal truly were money, sensible people would compare costs, current and historical prices, etc. Honestly, it's a game. Who has time on this?

Furthermore, one could add that ingredients can be transormed in a variety of finished products and therefore more versatile and valuable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1