titles in lfg

titles being asked for in lfg for group content needs to be abolished.  titles are not meant to be tickets to access content, they are achievements.   to require a title for any content is toxic af.  i know this thinking has been in the game for awhile, but it needs to end.  there are other ways to ask for exp in content.. or better yet, give players a chance, were all equal,. no one is above the other, so eberyone should be given a chance 1st. if they dont know what they are doing it will be apparent pretty quick. i am so sick of this toxic thinking.  if it doesnt improve, i would suggest anet step and implement a fix. either removing titles for certain endgame content so that cant be used as a bar to entry (looking at you fractals), or make asking for titles a bannable offense, or something i havent thought of.  enough is enough 

Edited by TigerZord.7931
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 16

People can make whatever groups they want. If they ask for a title, that means I want nothing to do with them, and I consider it a boon. I wouldn't play with those guys and they sure as hell wouldn't play with me.

But that's how you get like minded people playing together. I get to pick which group I want to be in, based on how that title is worded. If it said casual, or all welcome, or fun run or something I'd be right there. Make a group, use what you want, or respond to the groups you like.

It doesn't make sense to dictate what other people put in their LFG ads. After all, if they can't put the words, how would I know to avoid those groups?

• Like 16
  • Confused 1

Is it toxic that some people want to play at another pace, and not carry other players? Wow. 

The solution is easy. Either get the requirement, be it kill proof or a title, or make your own lfg saying 'everyone welcome'.

Since you brought up fractals: i want to so a fast daily clear, not drag around new players. I do training runs with my guild sometimes but if i want to do my dailies i want a smooth run.

But when talking about raids: i didnt raid much and i dont expect experiences raiders to carry me. For that i join training groups. Can we still play the game how we like? Or should we cater only you?

Bannable offense to ask kp or titles in lfg? Hah, Posting threads like this should be a bannable offense too.  🙂

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, TigerZord.7931 said:

titles being asked for in lfg for group content needs to be abolished.  titles are not meant to be tickets to access content, they are achievements.   to require a title for any content is toxic af.  i know this thinking has been in the game for awhile, but it needs to end.  there are other ways to ask for exp in content.. or better yet, give players a chance, were all equal,. no one is above the other, so eberyone should be given a chance 1st. if they dont know what they are doing it will be apparent pretty quick. i am so sick of this toxic thinking.  if it doesnt improve, i would suggest anet step and implement a fix. either removing titles for certain endgame content so that cant be used as a bar to entry (looking at you fractals), or make asking for titles a bannable offense, or something i havent thought of.  enough is enough 

I see these, much like other requirements (such as KP/LI and even roles), as "customer information" - it tells me which groups are likely to be a match for my level and style of play. I much prefer to be able to pick the right group already from the lfg than to get asked to leave (or even kicked) after joining.

If we were to ban title requirements f rom the lfg, the vetting of group members would happen later, and it would most likely lead to a more toxic environment. (For those that were around back in the day you might remember "ping armor or kick" and the likes.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TigerZord.7931 said:

Just make your own group in lfg, problem solved. Why do you want to dictate how other players have to play?

• Like 9

11 hours ago, TigerZord.7931 said:

Your access to content doesn't end in someone else's LFG excluding you. Don't like what someone else is looking for in their LFG? Make your own and look for something else.  

On one side you got players just playing the game, having fun and searching for like-minded and somewhat similarly skilled players to have fun with, on the other you trying to tell people what they are allowed to look for and who they ought to play with, demanding bans for people who don't comply with your personal preferences and abilities. I really wonder who's the toxic one there. 

And just to reiterate, having no group filtering methods such as LI, KP, Titles etc. would just make the game experience drastically worse and more toxic, as you'll constantly have players with completely different abilities and expectations clashing and wasting each other's time. 

The problem isn't players with certain expectations making their own groups according to them, it's that others largely don't.

Edited by Asum.4960
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with op. I never experienced gatekeeping that strong in other mmorpgs. If you want to gatekeep do it in your guild. The gatekeeping started back then with achievements points. 

If you want to be elitist dont do it in public lfg. This gatekeeping is one of the reasons why end game content loses players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

If it wasn't titles it would be something else. At one point achievement points were the almost universal method of gate keeping. It was totally meaningless because most AP doesn't require you to be good at instanced content, you actually get more from doing the story, collections and daily achievements than raiding regularly. They knew it was largely meaningless but it was all they had to exclude some people so they used it.

(The first one I saw was in the first Halloween, about a month after the game came out, someone demanding only level 80 characters in a full set of exotics with full upgrades to do Ascent to Madness. That wasn't necessary at all, you could do it at lower levels and without full exotics, but it was the best available and they knew not everyone would have it so they asked for it.)

I agree with everyone else, if a group has any requirements you don't agree with or don't want to comply with that just means it's the wrong group for you and you should avoid joining and pick another one, or start your own if there isn't one which suits you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Superkai.4692 said:

I agree with op. I never experienced gatekeeping that strong in other mmorpgs. If you want to gatekeep do it in your guild. The gatekeeping started back then with achievements points. 

If you want to be elitist dont do it in public lfg. This gatekeeping is one of the reasons why end game content loses players.

Do your own groups with all welcome and watch them fill faster then the other groups then mate.

But but you probabely wont have as smooth a run but you know thats why the other group are filtering.

• Like 4

People can set whichever requirements they want. There's literally nothing toxic about that. What's toxic is expecting to get into these groups if you don't fulfil the requirements.

If you don't like one group's requirements, create your own group with different requirements.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TigerZord.7931 said:

Luckily you're free to make your own squad/party with your own requirements or lack of them. And the reason you're not doing that is... what exactly?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah they should create 2 LFG :

a) One that you can type anything you want

b) And on that has  the basic message is "Join fast" .

And if someone afks , you should install OBS and sent the video in Imgur to the customers support , where his accounts and alts are banned from using the second option

edit: After a while the "join fast" group will pop up in the 1st  option (without knowing it)

Edited by Solitude.2097
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, TigerZord.7931 said:

Why do you feel entitled to someone else's time and company?

The only toxicity in your post is you complaining that others should be forced to cater to you, to play with you against their will, essentially to be your slaves.

If you want a group with no restrictions (title or otherwise) create one.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I get it.  The OP, and many others, no doubt,  want to be able to get into a group and complete content according to their time-frames, with a high likelihood of success.  This is a very common desire in MMO's.

I also get the desire to limit access to a group.  These players want to be in a group and complete content according to their time-frames, with a high likelihood of success.  Again, a very common desire in MMO's.

With that in common, what is the difference between those two groups?  Why does one demand access to any group and the other try to restrict access to their group?  The former will say things like "toxic" and "elitist." The latter will point to lack of competence.

What's to be done?  The real solution for the OP would be to start his own group.  Alternatively, find a guild that does the content and doesn't insist that guild members meet certain requirements to participate.  However, in the many threads like this that have been posted since launch, the players demanding to be included, like the OP, don't seem interested in the "own group" or "find a guild" solutions.

Why not?  My best guess on the "own group" front is that they want a fast, smooth run that is highly likely to succeed, and doubt they can carry others if they are the best player in the group.  Alternatively, either "own group" or "find a guild" is too much effort when their goal is drop in, do content, then move on to something else.

Should ANet do anything?  I know they'd prefer that all players welcomed all other players in any content.  However, their solutions in the past have been difficulty tiers rather than forced grouping.  These solutions include T1-4 Fractals, and Strikes with varying difficulty, which were introduced as a stepping stone to raids.  So, their solution has been to attempt to make it easier for players to acquire competence.

Should ANet force grouping?  No, not for me.  Why not?  Despite that I never join an "X required" group, I think people should be able to play with whom they like, not be forced to play with players they prefer not to play with.  I might think differently if the apparent reason those demanding forced grouping don't adopt existing solutions wasn't, "I cba to make any effort to get what I want beyond showing up."

Disclaimer: If you are the OP or like the OP, and your reasons for wanting forced grouping are not as in the prior paragraph, don't claim that a shoe cut to a general size is a perfect fit for you.

Edited by IndigoSundown.5419
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

It isn’t. Groups in lfg are not dictating him how he has to play - he doesn’t have to join them but he wants to dictate how all players must advertise in lfg. 

No, but telling someone that they ought not dictate how other play and then suggest they create their own group (which would probably have his/her preferences for how to play) is how I found it to be ironic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

22 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

No, but telling someone that they ought not dictate how other play and then suggest they create their own group (which would probably have his/her preferences for how to play) is how I found it to be ironic.

So telling OP to create his own groups is ironic? OP's entitlement on how everybody should honor his demands is a different type of "-ronic" and it is not ironic. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, TigerZord.7931 said:

Create. Your. Own. Group. 

Don’t. Dictate. How. Others. Run. Theirs. 

Doing. That. Is. Toxic. AF.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I used to believe this was an elitism issue, but now I believe the problem is the LFG system.

As strange as it sounds, its not designed to actually be used. There's far, far more players in this game than it seems like (tens of thousands active daily, minimum), and you see like a dozen of them on LFG at any time.

Many other games with the same number of players tend to have their LFG fully populated 24/7.

Its just incredibly badly designed and no one uses it unless they have to, and when they do they make sure to put in all the requirements they can because the game provides them with no other way to do any kind of reasonable matchmaking. There's been many solutions to fix this, like organising it better and overhauling the UI to allow entering of arbitrary data like which classes would be prefered, but its never going to happen.

The devs have never been good at user interfaces, plain and simple. Do what most players who can't stand the LFG do and switch entirely to friends list and guild chat statics.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

LFG in GW2 is very different from group-finders in other MMORPGs. For a lot of sections in the LFG, you are not supposed to go there until you are an expert in that content-type. It is a group-finder, but only for farmers and veterans. 

We have tried to stop this development, community-wise, in the early steps. But in the end, we had to retreat from the system entirely. This even happened to content-sections, they have dedicated to introduce new players into instanced content. From official side, there is no help or assistance. Best they can do is discontinuing that content and reboot with lesser difficulty. They did that a few times, always ended the same. LFG is for the farmers and there is no way around that.  

As long as you are not an expert in that content, your best chance to run and learn that content properly is with a dedicated guild. There exist tons of these nowadays. A good place to start searching for one is the Looking For Guild sub-section of this forum, just have a look on the [EU] or [NA] tags. They help you with the builds, tactics/mechanics and other requirements. Once you are experienced enough, you can try your luck with the LFG again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9

36 minutes ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

LFG in GW2 is very different from group-finders in other MMORPGs. For a lot of sections in the LFG, you are not supposed to go there until you are an expert in that content-type. It is a group-finder, but only for farmers and veterans. 

That’s not entirely true. There are many groups in lfg that say all welcome, chill run, for beginners and so on. But of course there are also groups for veterans, why shouldn’t there? Veterans are a huge part of the player base. 
I don’t think that it is helpful to create a narrative that the lfg is elitist and toxic. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

We have tried to stop this development, community-wise, in the early steps. But in the end, we had to retreat from the system entirely. This even happened to content-sections, they have dedicated to introduce new players into instanced content. From official side, there is no help or assistance. Best they can do is discontinuing that content and reboot with lesser difficulty. They did that a few times, always ended the same. LFG is for the farmers and there is no way around that.  

As long as you are not an expert in that content, your best chance to run and learn that content properly is with a dedicated guild. There exist tons of these nowadays. A good place to start searching for one is the Looking For Guild sub-section of this forum, just have a look on the [EU] or [NA] tags. They help you with the builds, tactics/mechanics and other requirements. Once you are experienced enough, you can try your luck with the LFG again. 

What game are you playing its not Gw2 thats for sure.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1