So far, I have a feeling of déjà-vu for both maps that have been shown.

Shin Jae reminds me of the Jade Forest for MoP. The overall look and feel is identical.

Echovalds...just looks like a Heart of Thorn maps, with Heart of Thorns enemies. 

Honestly I just have "Asian Heart of Thorns" vibes from this expansion's maps so far. 

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 10

Shing Jea feels like a Sword Of Legends map... I'm still looking for the "Shing Jea Island" touch from GW1.

Echovald is HoT 2.0 with less cool monsters (humans, wallow...) and without the Kurzick gothic atmosphere.

So far EoD is a fully recycled expansion (e-specs animation, reskin monsters, HoT environnement, etc.)

😬

Edited by Mizuira.8245
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6
55 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Shin Jae reminds me of the Jade Forest for MoP. The overall look and feel is identical.

Echovalds...just looks like a Heart of Thorn maps, with Heart of Thorns enemies. 

Honestly I just have "Asian Heart of Thorns" vibes from this expansion's maps so far. 

Concur on Jade Forest.  It's not a negative thing, but the resemblance is easily noticable.  Overall though, I look forward to it, even if it does feel familiar.

• Like 1

I also feel as well that so little of each map has actually been shown. Sure the stream lasts an hour but they really stay in the general area and don’t explore that much due to not wishing to spoil too much.

It is likely that there will be tons of variety in these maps touching on all sorts of things as Guild Wars 2 maps usually do. 

For all we know there are Elder Dragon eldritch horrors deeper in the island or forest and crazy Warden soldiers and their minions in the 2 maps.

I am hopeful! Though I do admit I wish they had shown more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Oddly, the original GW1 versions felt recycled to me as well. Shing Jea was like Kryta with cherry blossoms, and Echovald seemed like the Maguuma with desaturated art and cathedral props.

So it doesn't seem too surprising to me that the GW2 versions might also look recycled; the most jarring thing is that Shing Jea looks like it recycled the wrong stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

How?  Kryta and Shing Jea look almost nothing alike.

It was the ground materials - green on the flats, grey on the slopes, and little definition apart from that. Because so much of the landscapes of GW1 consisted of just ground materials and basic grass props, they felt very similar to me.

Could be they actually used the same textures too, but I haven't loaded up GW1 in so long I'm not sure anymore.

So because both a

12 minutes ago, Ben K.6238 said:

It was the ground materials - green on the flats, grey on the slopes, and little definition apart from that. Because so much of the landscapes of GW1 consisted of just ground materials and basic grass props, they felt very similar to me.

Could be they actually used the same textures too, but I haven't loaded up GW1 in so long I'm not sure anymore.

So because they both have grass and grey stones...never mind.  I quite emphatically disagree but as the kids say, you do you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the years that passed and history or whatever I get less bothered by the changes of echovold forest because it's no longer this petrified and spooky place that it used to be, unfortunately. Because that vibe was dope. But I was getting the feeling that these Jade people are just inquest with extra steps. Unethical science kitten's? Lets see them be unique outside of just a bunch of green coloring. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

So because both a

So because they both have grass and grey stones...never mind.  I quite emphatically disagree but as the kids say, you do you.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/9/93/Tears_of_the_Fallen.jpg
https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/b/b0/Haiju_Lagoon.jpg

It's GW1. The environment is pretty basic. So ground textures make up rather a lot of the look and feel.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

GW1 also had a lot of reskin, enemies, areas.. But somehow they made it work.  

The map showing last week from echovald had a very familiar look to it, but I am sure I will llove it anyway.

Jade sea also had some of this, but also areas where I was stunned on how good it looked..  Only part I didnt really like was the cut out jade and the mining area jade. It looks weird and fake. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
On 11/14/2021 at 8:34 AM, Aodlop.1907 said:

It's actually the opposite of what you said. 

MoP is like Shin Jae from Guild Wars 1. I watched the trailer ArenaNet launched, I see the old Cantha and Shin Jea from Guild Wars 1. If you do a google search you will find that the campaign "Factions" in GW1 (which was Cantha and Shin Jae Island) launched on April 28, 2006. Mists of Pandaria from WoW launched on September 25, 2012. 

So if anyone basically copied another, that would be WoW copying GW1. But the thing is, both are oriental themes and in similar type locations, so the aesthetics will be somewhat familiar. 

To clarify, I'm not saying you said that GW2 "copied" WoW. But by saying Shin Jae reminds you of Jade Forest in MoP, first thought comes to my mind is how MoP instead looks like Cantha from GW1 and if any of the two took from the other, it would be WoW taking from GW1. WoW has taken a lot from GW's and GW2 over the years. They all do it though. Take from each other that is.

• Like 2