Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Legendary Gathering Tools? Yea or Nay?


Recommended Posts

Any thoughts on this? I can see a business case for such a thing existing and Anet even being able to monetize upgrades to them through Glyphs, etc ... 

Reason ... I'm gathering over MANY characters every day. Currently using 3 shared INV slots to do so. Leg gathering tools ... give me back those three slots. Probably not alone on using them that way. Basically, Leg gathering tools add value to shared INV slots. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 8
  • Confused 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

In support of the idea, but it's down to the implementation.

Right now, you can buy a set of infinite gathering tools and move them between characters as you please, so in a sense they're already legendary. What we'd be adding is a way to use them across all characters more efficiently, ie: by having some kind of accountwide slot that these tools would click into (or by adding them to the armory to be withdrawn at will on any character).

Right now, some people opt to buy multiple infinite gathering tools (at a profit to ArenaNet) instead of going through the hassle of unequipping tools and sending them manually between characters, so I think ArenaNet would probably monetize those accountwide tool slots in some way to try and make up the difference rather than just making the tools available accountwide for free. Conversely, making these tools accountwide for free might increase the amount of people across the game who buy the tools at all, since the benefits of doing so would jump massively.

Hard to say which would be more profitable in the long run, but I do think profit would be a deciding factor.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

In support of the idea, but it's down to the implementation.

Right now, you can buy a set of infinite gathering tools and move them between characters as you please, so in a sense they're already legendary. What we'd be adding is a way to use them across all characters more efficiently, ie: by having some kind of accountwide slot that these tools would click into (or by adding them to the armory to be withdrawn at will on any character).

Right now, some people opt to buy multiple infinite gathering tools (at a profit to ArenaNet) instead of going through the hassle of unequipping tools and sending them manually between characters, so I think ArenaNet would probably monetize those accountwide tool slots in some way to try and make up the difference rather than just making the tools available accountwide for free. Conversely, making these tools accountwide for free might increase the amount of people across the game who buy the tools at all, since the benefits of doing so would jump massively.

Hard to say which would be more profitable in the long run, but I do think profit would be a deciding factor.

I'd argue that ANet would be making more money selling the initial set of permanent tools as an upgrade to the account, then sell any future permanent tools as skins that take transmute charges to change out the skin.  This would incentivize more players to buy into the permanent tools and buy every skin.  I know  I would if I didn't have to clog my bank full of permanent tools I wouldn't use.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd support a way to use the already existing permanent gathering tools more efficiently across characters.  As far as legendary goes, if you mean a storage system like the weapons and armor, would it be limited to how many characters could use it at a time.  Would it decrease sales of shared slots, doubtful.  Increase the sale of permanent tools, probably...however unlikely that players would then buy multiple sets.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I'm not sure there is a big enough business reason for implementing something like this.  What percentage of the player-base would have the option to use it? 

I think that I'd prefer resources spent elsewhere.

I think everyone who has  unbreakable tools would be able to make  use of it. 

I would love if unbreakable tools could be equipped to multiple characters at the same time. I don't really know how Glyphs would work for it. Either like legendary weapons where the character holding the sigil can put it on the weapon, it won't be on the weapon for another character but they can put a different sigil. Or same glyph on it always, change the glyph and it changes for everyone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And what about those of us that have multiple sets? Do we get a refund? Or do we get a chest which allows us to select a skin?

 

I would be very pissed if Anet doesnt do either of those. I bought 6 sets of unlimited gathering tools. As much of a convenience it will be, (and i am all for that) i would be pissed if i just threw money at Anet for an bunch of items i can no longer use.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Your argument boils down to "I would like it" and "It would make my life easier." None of this helps ANet earn those Dollars. On the contrary, what you suggest would most likely make the unlimited tools obsolete.

Don't get e wrong,  If there were unlimited gathering tools account wide EARNABLE IN GAME LIKE LEGENDARIES, I'd go for it, no worries. Especially when they would introduce legendary glyphs EARNABLE IN GAME as well.

But this won't happen.

Edited by lokh.2695
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kinurak.5307 said:

And what about those of us that have multiple sets? Do we get a refund? Or do we get a chest which allows us to select a skin?

Look at how the legendary armory and related compensations were handled for people with duplicates. You'd probably see something like that. I wouldn't be against compensation for people in your situation, but it probably wouldn't be anything amazing just based on how similar things have been handled in the past. Their TOS states that they can change items (or their value) at any time without notifying users, so even though it'd feel crummy, they'd be within their rights to do this.

11 hours ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

I'd argue that ANet would be making more money selling the initial set of permanent tools as an upgrade to the account, then sell any future permanent tools as skins that take transmute charges to change out the skin.

I also think they'd make more by having the initial set (or share slot that comes with your first set) be an accountwide upgrade, but it's just what I think. I don't really have data to say so for sure, y'know? But yeah, if they did that and maybe tweaked the pricing on additional sets to make them a little more attractive as impulse purchases, I can definitely see people starting to collect the skins and glyphs more frequently.

Making gathering tools accountwide has been a pot banged on for a while now, so I hope eventually they take a look at that since GW2 encourages having (and actively playing) multiple characters.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They could make it as some kind of convenience upgrade for those who have purchased a significant number of unbreakable gathering tools already. The discussion usually comes down to two big issues: Refund already purchased tools and ANet making money from the Gemstore. 

If there was a method to fuse regular unbreakable/infinite gathering tools into one legendary, that would be ok. There would still be players ending up with multiple legendary tools, those could be exchanged for BL Statuettes. Those are not GEMS or raw gold, so the loss for ANet should be acceptable. 

How about a little poll:

😕 (confused) = I own one set of unbreakable gathering tools or 1 single tool.

😄 (laugh) = I own 2-4 sets of unbreakable gathering tools.

😢 (cry) = I own 5+ sets of unbreakable gathering tools.

Please react to my post. 

 

  • Haha 10
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

Soo...  I could see them implementing something like this, with a process that combines the acquisition of the Skyscale, Griffon, and Gen 2 legendary weapons....

 

I definitely would like something like this, but I am not certain it would make sense from a financial standpoint for Anet.

 

Maybe it would involve needing at least one of every type of permanent gathering tool being acquired as part of the achievement ..  THEN we may be getting close to it being worthwhile for Anet monetarily.  But even then, with people that have 15+ toons.......

🤷‍♀️

 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kinurak.5307 said:

And what about those of us that have multiple sets? Do we get a refund? Or do we get a chest which allows us to select a skin?

 

I would be very pissed if Anet doesnt do either of those. I bought 6 sets of unlimited gathering tools. As much of a convenience it will be, (and i am all for that) i would be pissed if i just threw money at Anet for an bunch of items i can no longer use.

Well, if you have multiple sets of infinite gathering tools, why would you even consider making Leg. Gathering tools in the first place? Why do you think you could no longer use your gathering tool sets? I mean, we are talking about Legendary gathering tools ... they wouldn't just hand those out. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kinurak.5307 said:

And what about those of us that have multiple sets? Do we get a refund? Or do we get a chest which allows us to select a skin?

 

I would be very pissed if Anet doesnt do either of those. I bought 6 sets of unlimited gathering tools. As much of a convenience it will be, (and i am all for that) i would be pissed if i just threw money at Anet for an bunch of items i can no longer use.

I would also be frustrated with not receiving a form of reimbursement, since gems/potentially actual money are used. I have three sets, and I would hate for those to become obsolete.  I buy them for their function, not just cosmetics.  Would I like an easier way to equip them across account vs. sticking them in the bank and hopping on different characters, sure!

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I would also be frustrated with not receiving a form of reimbursement, since gems/potentially actual money are used. I have three sets, and I would hate for those to become obsolete.  I buy them for their function, not just cosmetics.  Would I like an easier way to equip them across account vs. sticking them in the bank and hopping on different characters, sure!

Let's be clear ... nothing in the idea obsoletes current infinite gather tool sets ... just like Legendary weapons, armor, etc ... don't 'obsolete' current Ascended items. They would be implemented like any other Legendary item ... you craft/forge them. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of Legendary Gathering Tools. 

I have multiple sets. What stops me from buying more is 

1) I don’t need more of the actual tools since they put in account wide slots

2) the lack of a different wardrobe option for each individual char. 

for me to buy more tools ANet would need to set up a wardrobe option for each char and having Legendary Tools would be a way to set this up. 

 

 

 

Edited by Just a flesh wound.3589
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I'm not sure there is a big enough business reason for implementing something like this.  What percentage of the player-base would have the option to use it? 

I think that I'd prefer resources spent elsewhere.

I'm sure the Legendary Armory itself was no small undertaking, one that actually shortens a player's grind for needing multiple legendary armor sets and probably cost Anet sales in Equipment Templates or Bank Storage or Shared Inventory slots as all legendary armor now has its own special storage method.  And, how many people actually benefited from the Legendary Armory?  The estimates we've seen were pretty low, and I'm betting more people have unlimited gathering tools than legendary armor...I know I had multiple sets before I even started on legendaries.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What about the glyphs? If we get legendary gathering tools in the armory, does that mean every character has to have their own gathering glyphs? Or do I have to slot/unslot glyphs and move them from/to shared storage every time I change characters? Are legendary gathering tool glyphs the next step, to return the convenience lost from switching to legendary tools straight out of the armory?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Let's be clear ... nothing in the idea obsoletes current infinite gather tool sets ... just like Legendary weapons, armor, etc ... don't 'obsolete' current Ascended items. They would be implemented like any other Legendary item ... you craft/forge them. 

Thank you for the clarification, crafting them would be interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer the idea of having a set of account-based gathering tool slots.  They would be above or below the current slots or something like that.  You could switch between the char-based and account-based sets similar to how you switch between the two weapon sets on most chars.

1) they would work just like the current gathering tool slots but they would be accessible by any char on the account
2) you can put any gathering tools in the slots - basic, unlimited, karma, etc
3) you can switch between account and char sets (as long as the char meets any level requirements of the tools)
4) any char can put any tools in or take any tools out

This would be useful even for players who don't have unlimited tools.  They could put a spare set in the shared slots.  Players with multiple unlimited sets could switch between two different sets on any given char.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...