Legendary Gathering Tools? Yea or Nay?

Obtena.7952

On 11/14/2021 at 6:05 PM, Obtena.7952 said:

Any thoughts on this? I can see a business case for such a thing existing and Anet even being able to monetize upgrades to them through Glyphs, etc ... 

Reason ... I'm gathering over MANY characters every day. Currently using 3 shared INV slots to do so. Leg gathering tools ... give me back those three slots. Probably not alone on using them that way. Basically, Leg gathering tools add value to shared INV slots. 

I personally would love it to operate like the existing legendary armory.  Everyone can use a set simultaneously with their own cosmetics and glyphs.  I own multiple tools, but really I only have them for the cosmetics.  Example, my norn use the spirits of the wild toolds just because I like extra flavor like that.

however:

On 11/15/2021 at 5:55 AM, lokh.2695 said:

Your argument boils down to "I would like it" and "It would make my life easier." None of this helps ANet earn those Dollars. On the contrary, what you suggest would most likely make the unlimited tools obsolete.

Don't get e wrong,  If there were unlimited gathering tools account wide EARNABLE IN GAME LIKE LEGENDARIES, I'd go for it, no worries. Especially when they would introduce legendary glyphs EARNABLE IN GAME as well.

But this won't happen.

While I would have put it more tactfully, I am struggling to conceptualize a project plan with good RoI.  I also have no idea how the player community uses infinite gathering tools and to what extent.  I also don't feel like identifying all the intangibles that would actually increase cash flows (things that aren't explicitly "players buying legendary crafting tool stuff").  

The game is an intricate system with many interconnected parts.  There could be a good business case for it, I'm just not motivated enough to identify it.

It would be nice, though.  So +1 from me.

On 11/14/2021 at 3:05 PM, Obtena.7952 said:

Any thoughts on this? I can see a business case for such a thing existing and Anet even being able to monetize upgrades to them through Glyphs, etc ... 

Reason ... I'm gathering over MANY characters every day. Currently using 3 shared INV slots to do so. Leg gathering tools ... give me back those three slots. Probably not alone on using them that way. Basically, Leg gathering tools add value to shared INV slots. 

I bought those shared inventory slots specifically for my gathering tools. I am not saying I would be all that upset or anything, but it would certainly impact my readiness to make gemstore purchases in the future on the possibility that any given purchase might be rendered obsolete out of hand.  Would this, possibly, reduce the perceived value of the shared inventory slots for potential purchasers?

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I bought those shared inventory slots specifically for my gathering tools. I am not saying I would be all that upset or anything, but it would certainly impact my readiness to make gemstore purchases in the future on the possibility that any given purchase might be rendered obsolete out of hand.  Would this, possibly, reduce the perceived value of the shared inventory slots for potential purchasers?

I would think it increases it ... since they wouldn't have to plan to dump tools in those slots and use them for something else. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I would think it increases it ... since they wouldn't have to plan to dump tools in those slots and use them for something else. 

Perhaps. I find that there are a limited number of uses for the slots and gathering tools justifies some of them. 

Not an absolute but in general any time you reduce the utility of something, in this case reducing the number of uses for shared inventory slots by three, you have reduced demand for that thing. Would proper monetization of legendary gathering tools offset this reduction in demand? Perhaps. But, again speaking only for myself, I would hesitate to purchase utility gemstore items in the future if something like this was implemented. 

• Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Perhaps. I find that there are a limited number of uses for the slots and gathering tools justifies some of them. 

Not an absolute but in general any time you reduce the utility of something, in this case reducing the number of uses for shared inventory slots by three, you have reduced demand for that thing. Would proper monetization of legendary gathering tools offset this reduction in demand? Perhaps. But, again speaking only for myself, I would hesitate to purchase utility gemstore items in the future if something like this was implemented. 

Well, I can't get enough shared inventory slots and getting those three back is a big deal to me so I think it just depends on who it is. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I think it just depends on who it is. 

Kind of my point.

Sure you get some shared slots back, others end up with slots that are less valuable than prior to this idea (if implemented), still others choose to hold off buying gem store items because of perceived planned obsolescence.

Seems like work being spent to make the game worse for some and better for others. How does ANet come out ahead?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Seems like work being spent to make the game worse for some and better for others. How does ANet come out ahead?

They come out ahead if there's a business case to do so. That's not something we can determine. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

21 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I'm not really seeing this one.  

Of all the complaints about the legendary armory, I've yet to see one that raises an issue that shared utility slots are less useful because it's not used by legendary gear anymore.

Shared slots can be used for consumables, travel tomes, any teleport item, salvage kits, the position rewinder, ash legion spy kits, etc.  I'm not sure how account-wide access to gathering tools as a baseline will cause shared inventory slots to become less useful.

I guess it may be true for a case where a player bought the shared slots for the sole purpose of storing a set of gathering tools and absolutely opposes their use for any other reason.  In this case, and only this case (as far as I can tell), is there an argument for account-wide access for gathering tools making shared inventory slots obsolete, or at least partially so.

I wouldn't be surprised if such players exist and can only speculate on how many there are.

• Like 3

Should be able to craft the food Mom's Spaghetti which can be customized before eating and it is infinite use. The lore to it could be "In spite of me learning her recipe and perfectly recreating it through strenuous research, trial and error, and luck, I have yet to figure out how she made this the best dish I have ever eaten."

Spoiler

btw it is a loose tablespoon of dark brown sugar per large pot added just before it is finished

Edited by Zacchary.6183
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1