New maps lack old masteries

I feel like we level up our masteries then we never see them in new content. I noticed during the live streams, for both Echovald and Shing Jea previews, that there aren't any old masteries besides the obvious ones (Raptor, Springer, and basic gliding). Guild Wars 2 is all about keeping old content still relevant, that's why they opt-in for horizontal progression and masteries instead of adding more levels, but the lack of old masteries on new content is worrisome.

Edited by Kilty.4906
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I doubt ANet ever said that "we are different because we don't dump old content" If so I would like to have a link to this statement just to wave around whenever ANet dumps old content in terms of no loneger developing it(Dungeons, Fractals, Raids, DRMs, PvP ...)

Masteries were always very limited in use outside of glliding and mounts. When have you ever lit a Kodan Torch outside of Bitterfrost? Have you ever opened a raven gate outside of Bjora? The list goes on. Ver few masteries, like the bouncing mushrooms or Ley-Line gliding have been implemented in other maps, but they do so very rarely.

Would it be cool if it was different? Sure. But ANet wold have to take a totally different approach to map design when they want to fit more masteries into their maps. Also there's the problem that players w/o a given mastery might feel left behind. Let's say bouncing mushrooms will become a major thing in EoD without introducing the mastery from HoT. Do you think people will be happy about this? The people that are bothere by other people having a skyscale f.e.?

Edited by lokh.2695
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

They didn't say it using those words, they said masteries is another way to implement horizontal progression which they justify as adding new content without making old content obsolete, I just didn't know how to better phrase it but I edited my comment about it. 😃
But my concern is if EoD will be just like PoF because during PoF we didn't get any of the old masteries implemented besides gliding.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I would love it if core world bosses were given additional pre-events to unlock the use of new masteries in them.

For example:

• The Mark II golem could have a second pre-event north of the platform that happens before the canisters to unlock adrenal mushrooms.
  • The Shatterer could have a pre-event to unlock updrafts and leylines over the battle letting you stay in the air bombarding with gliding.
  • Godlost swap could have a new pre-event to have speed mushrooms so people can get to the portals faster
  • Events in the canopy in Verdant Bring could have a way to add oakheart essences to better control movement and get faster to higher places, like getting up higher with the eggs for the patriarch.
  • The Svanir Shaman event in Wayfarer could be updated to have an actual fight against the actual ice elemental after defeating the shaman, and have the svanir, grawl and elementals in the previous events drop the essences to use the S5 essence attacks.
  • The Claw of Jormag could be updated to have updated tells with orange areas on the floor better indicating players when attacks like the frost waves come, and also have a pre-Events started by a kodan to use the flame of koda against it. 
  • There could be events that require walking a lot like Tequatl that could unlock a raptor, letting you talk with it to quickly mount and move in the battlefield even in combat. 
  • Festival 'farming maps' like the labyrinth and the pavillion could have NPCs you can pay with coin or festival currency to unlock masteries for use there, like essence pillars, adrenal mushrooms, speed mushrooms, etc.
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Problem seems to be that they are skittish about alienating players who have only bought some content and not others. 

Put poison mastery areas in EOD, and your players who don’t have HoT feel locked out of content they did pay for.

Id like to see old masteries reused, to, but this seems to be something they’re sensitive about.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2021 at 9:49 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

Problem seems to be that they are skittish about alienating players who have only bought some content and not others. 

Put poison mastery areas in EOD, and your players who don’t have HoT feel locked out of content they did pay for.

Id like to see old masteries reused, to, but this seems to be something they’re sensitive about.

That's a good point and that's why they should change the way they handle their paid content, like bundling HoT and PoF into EoD just like how FFXIV does when they get new expansions, also the seasons should be free. 

For me, this point can also be viewed in the opposite direction, for example, I feel like what I paid for is now irrelevant.

I just imagine a zone in EoD where you need poison mastery and you'll be like "hey I've learned this from the Itzel when I was fighting in the jungle".

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kilty.4906 said:

That's a good point and that's why they should change the way they handle their paid content, like bundling HoT and PoF into EoD just like how FFXIV does when they get new expansions, also the seasons should be free. 

For me, this point can also be viewed in the opposite direction, for example, I feel like what I paid for is now irrelevant.

I just imagine a zone in EoD where you need poison mastery and you'll be like "hey I've learned this from the Itzel when I was fighting in the jungle".

Yeah, I get what you’re saying. It seems like it would be possible to put some in, not critical to advancing, but with rewards for those who’ve put in the time to get the masteries. 

Some rich mining nodes, a gathering farm, a reward chest or the like could all be placed behind or in a poison field. They wouldn’t be the only ones, but would be a little bonus.

Maybe there could be a shortcut in a jumping puzzle that feels like, hey, because of that mastery I shaved 30 seconds and a tricky jump off the long route.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2

On 11/20/2021 at 4:38 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

Yeah, I get what you’re saying. It seems like it would be possible to put some in, not critical to advancing, but with rewards for those who’ve put in the time to get the masteries. 

Some rich mining nodes, a gathering farm, a reward chest or the like could all be placed behind or in a poison field. They wouldn’t be the only ones, but would be a little bonus.

Maybe there could be a shortcut in a jumping puzzle that feels like, hey, because of that mastery I shaved 30 seconds and a tricky jump off the long route.

Yep, as you said just as a little bonus, it doesn't need to be a major thing but maybe an alternative or something extra like you can get there with springer but you can also get there with a bouncying mushroom or even updrafts since new players are also getting gliding unlocked.