Why are some of the armor looks revealing only for female character?

for company such as anet who loves diversity, arent male not allowed to have the same revealing clothing piece? for example almost every light armor looks normal on male but the female one almost looks naked, when I play female character im struggling to dress her the way i think the scholarly mage should look like i dont want to play as swamp witch most of the time who only cover their private part. also the raven legging comes to mind

And I hope that they will released new armor/outfit with the same aesthetic as astral scholar outfit and queendale academy because those looks good for both genders

Edited by ardhikaizecson.3697
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

OP you might be confusing people with a title that asks one question but make an argument for another in your comments. However, why do we have Norn tattoos, Asura and Sylvari skin patterns/glow when we can not show them off. I do agree there should be equal revealing or concealing clothing/armors. 

*Edit: still hoping there will be GW1 scar/tattoo designed armors someday.

Edited by UnDeadFun.5824
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

........because they are? Because guys and girls do, in fact, have very different bodies and what looks good/revealing on a girl would look hilariously dumb on a guy, and vice versa? (As Jin said.)

Not sure what else to tell you.

And there are plenty of armors, even light armors, that are not revealing. I'm the sort of woman who gets uncomfortable when my female characters show even a hint of cleavage, with few exceptions - and I can find light armor that I like, no problem.

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, MikeG.6389 said:

My human male necro with a six pack in Elonian Elementalist Outfit begs to differ.

Yes, fairly recently ANet starting making male armor and outfits that show more skin, but only after years and a number of forum posts pointing out that there are differences between the number and degree of revealing male armor/outfits as compared to the female versions. 

you can even see this philosophy in the way the women stand as compared to the way the men stand (humans, Sylvari and Norn). The men stand with their weight evenly on both feet (a classic “male power” stance. Think of how Superman or other such Hero stands) while the women stand with their weight more on one foot, which causes the woman’s hip to slant upwards and is a classic “female” stance. 

examples 

Sylvari female stance

Sylvari male Stance

Edited by Just a flesh wound.3589
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

Well companies are getting better at diversity in the clothing, I will say it is because of the classic tropes people have mentioned above. Women in MMOs tend to have more sexual clothing while men do not. I for one have always tried to dress my women characters in business suits with long coats if possible. Sadly, that is not possible with most MMOs because of the "lady = sex and skimpy look" most take. Anet has done a good job though of making good unisex long coats though which is why my characters use the outlaw outfit mostly. Now they just need to add more skimpy stuff for guy characters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Batel.9206 said:

........because they are? Because guys and girls do, in fact, have very different bodies and what looks good/revealing on a girl would look hilariously dumb on a guy, and vice versa? (As Jin said.)

Not sure what else to tell you.

And there are plenty of armors, even light armors, that are not revealing. I'm the sort of woman who gets uncomfortable when my female characters show even a hint of cleavage, with few exceptions - and I can find light armor that I like, no problem.

Most of the differences between the genders are culturally dependant, and gendered clothing isn't even remotely the same from one country to the next, let alone across entire continents.

On top of this, even if you take the most watered down examples, men stereotypically dress very skimpy in media (especially action films); not like they're portrayed in this game. Take wrestling for example, where men fight in what is basically just their underwear and boots.

And the issue players have is, this is the whole image Norn are supposed to fit into.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Most of the differences between the genders are culturally dependant, and gendered clothing isn't even remotely the same from one country to the next, let alone across entire continents.

On top of this, men stereotypically dress very skimpy in media (especially action films), not like they're portrayed in this game.

Well, MMOs sadly tend to go with the macho man look or power suit stance look most of the time when it comes to designs instead of being more equal with looks for both genders. Frankly, I am tired of the Chad strong man look most games do, but it is what it is.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

Because ANet bases its styles on the old ‘women are sexy and men are powerful’ and their perception that people want their male characters to be sexy by being powerful, not by showing skin. 

Tbh we like to say this and say its "old".

I walk into nightclubs today and tbh question this logic while i see Loads of Women in revealing clothing. and Men rarely seen even showing their arms.

Its not Old... or a Game thing.. its basically in every way shape and form how our society shows itself.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

Well, MMOs sadly tend to go with the macho man look or power suit stance look most of the time when it comes to designs instead of being more equal with looks for both genders. Frankly, I am tired of the Chad strong man look most games do, but it is what it is

nothing to do with MMOs tend go with macho man looks. its to do with how society is lol.

Its very common women go out in very revealing clothing and Men simple Do not, when i go to night clubs, pubs and more this is conveyed everytime, Actually one of my male friends got refused access to a pub due to wearing Make up because the security guards were concerned to his safety or anything kicking up over it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Daddy.8125 said:

nothing to do with MMOs tend go with macho man looks. its to do with how society is lol.

Its very common women go out in very revealing clothing and Men simple Do not, when i go to night clubs, pubs and more this is conveyed everytime, Actually one of my male friends got refused access to a pub due to wearing Make up because the security guards were concerned to his safety or anything kicking up over it.

I know I get that. There is a reason I am not a fan of society most days. lolz I kind of reached a point of I am tired of it and think it is all stupid pointless with how we conduct ourselves.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

I know I get that. There is a reason I am not a fan of society most days. lolz I kind of reached a point of I am tired of it and think it is all stupid pointless with how we conduct ourselves.

ESO is the only one that rly supports women and men's clothing on each other tbh.

But then again unless gw2 is gonna make both genders of every set fit both women and men doubling up the work I guess it'd likely not work well. 

So I imagine that has some factors in the decision... We would see less cosmetics come out in cost of that which would hit their pockets.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

On top of this, even if you take the most watered down examples, men stereotypically dress very skimpy in media (especially action films); not like they're portrayed in this game. Take wrestling for example, where men fight in what is basically just their underwear and boots.

And the issue players have is, this is the whole image Norn are supposed to fit into.

Most of the differences between the genders comes from physiological differences between the sexes.  Those came first, and then societies built their culture based on different expectations that arose from the physiological differences.  In particular, men are very visual based and object-oriented, whereas women are more social-oriented and emotionally based.  I can provide an example of this being widespread, too.  Consider three groups: the far-eastern Buddhist monk, the middle-eastern Muslim, and the Western Christian monk.  All three of them have come to a similar conclusion: to keep focus on their religion and maintain purity, they purposefully withhold themselves from the sight of women.  Buddhist temples will frequently not allow women in their premises, Muslims make their women dress in either full or nearly full coverings, and Christian monks will also purposefully self-seclude.  There's even the woman's side, where nuns dress in something called a Habit, which covers everything but their faces.  They don't wear makeup, either.  Of course, if you want the scientific information and not just my vague anecdote, there's been thousands of studies done on this subject that all come to the same result: the more wealthy and egalitarian a society becomes, the bigger the differences between the sexes becomes (1), (2).  There's a formal name for this phenomena: the gender equality paradox.

This is a lot of words to say that there's different aesthetic expectations for each of the sexes.  There's no reason to expect the equipment to all look the same.  There's not much to be gained for making them the same, either, because then people will just pick the ones that conform to standard expectation for the sex they're playing as.  

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Most of the differences between the genders comes from physiological differences between the sexes.  Those came first, and then societies built their culture based on different expectations that arose from the physiological differences.  In particular, men are very visual based and object-oriented, whereas women are more social-oriented and emotionally based.  I can provide an example of this being widespread, too.  Consider three groups: the far-eastern Buddhist monk, the middle-eastern Muslim, and the Western Christian monk.  All three of them have come to a similar conclusion: to keep focus on their religion and maintain purity, they purposefully withhold themselves from the sight of women.  Buddhist temples will frequently not allow women in their premises, Muslims make their women dress in either full or nearly full coverings, and Christian monks will also purposefully self-seclude.  There's even the woman's side, where nuns dress in something called a Habit, which covers everything but their faces.  They don't wear makeup, either.  Of course, if you want the scientific information and not just my vague anecdote, there's been thousands of studies done on this subject that all come to the same result: the more wealthy and egalitarian a society becomes, the bigger the differences between the sexes becomes (1), (2).  There's a formal name for this phenomena: the gender equality paradox.

This is a lot of words to say that there's different aesthetic expectations for each of the sexes.  There's no reason to expect the equipment to all look the same.  There's not much to be gained for making them the same, either, because then people will just pick the ones that conform to standard expectation for the sex they're playing as.  

Eh, the religion bs reasoning aside(not blaming you for pointing it out. I just never agreed with it which is a debate for another time). I think it is not fair though to say that people will pick the standard one because I know plenty now who want more suits and men clothing for female, and people who want more skimpy and slutty stuff for guys. Times are changing and people are getting less religious, so I think the standards should also change to accommodate that for games.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Meanwhile in an alternate universe that apparently doesnt exist, Asuran males and females wear the same armor and people has complained about that since launch because its not unique to females.

It's really in alternate universe. I only rarely see anyone complaining about Asura gender uniformity. I see complain threads about human/norn/sylvari gear being differentiated based on gender on a very frequent basis however.

Also, there are a few outfits that are diffeent for Asura/Charr females. For some reason, however, almost uniformly they look absolutely hideous (or ridiculous, or both) in those cases.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I don't think OP or anyone else posting here doesn't Actually not know why female characters have more armors that are more revealing than the male ones.

We know why. Sex sells, but it doesn't always mean female gear always have to be sexy though. lolz

Edited by Doctor Hide.6345
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Jin.8501 said:

What is sexy on female might not be on male and vice versa 

Looking like a **** doesn't equal looking sexy. Which is why most of my characters are male.

In GW2, for most part, if you want to play a female character, you can only pick between a "spoiled little princess" (I especially abhor the constant use of high heels) and a "Oooh, look what I've got!" look (the latter even comes with an increased cup size most of the time, in which case it is save to assume that a male dev created the respective set of armor or the outfit).

That's not how cool looking female adventurers dress.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

6 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Looking like a **** doesn't equal looking sexy. Which is why most of my characters are male.

In GW2, for most part, if you want to play a female character, you can only pick between a "spoiled little princess" and a "Oooh, look what I've got!" look (the latter even comes with an increased cup size most of the time, in which case it is save to assume that a male dev created the respective set of armor or the outfit).

Tens of thousands of women would love to disagree with you there. It's honestly sexist of you to make such an assumption. As if women don't like looking at attractive women. Disproven about a million times.

Reminds me of the discourse over some anime games "oh look at her body proportions some disgusting fat pig made this!" but the answer in 90% of the cases has been a woman made it with the reason she enjoyed it and the fans enjoyed it too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

In GW2, for most part, if you want to play a female character, you can only pick between a "spoiled little princess" (I especially abhor the constant use of high heels) and a "Oooh, look what I've got!" look (the latter even comes with an increased cup size most of the time, in which case it is save to assume that a male dev created the respective set of armor or the outfit).

Well, I play all females for the isekai rule, but I get what you are saying.