Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Why are some of the armor looks revealing only for female character?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

for company such as anet who loves diversity, arent male not allowed to have the same revealing clothing piece? for example almost every light armor looks normal on male but the female one almost look

Because ANet bases its styles on the old ‘women are sexy and men are powerful’ and their perception that people want their male characters to be sexy by being powerful, not by showing skin. 

........because they are? Because guys and girls do, in fact, have very different bodies and what looks good/revealing on a girl would look hilariously dumb on a guy, and vice versa? (As Jin said.)

3 minutes ago, Evil Darkness.3061 said:

because no one wants to see naked dudes! 95% are straight the game are males! and even it were 95% females they don't want to see it either.

I sure as kitten do want to see "naked dudes" to use your terminology.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Evil Darkness.3061 said:

because no one wants to see naked dudes! 95% are straight the game are males! and even it were 95% females they don't want to see it either.

 

I am not so sure on that skipper. Even as a straight guy, I couldn't care less if the other guy wants to be less clothed. I am pretty sure that mentality which I have is growing more and more in this day and age. The standard of which you are thinking doesn't really apply to a lot of people anymore, so I think allowing that for guys won't hurt anyone. And if someone is offended, than I should tell them not to go outside because the world is changing to where that type of stuff is becoming more common for guys.(P.S. it is called not being narrow minded and letting people be free and pick what they want.)

Edited by Doctor Hide.6345
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

 We know why. Sex sells, but it doesn't always mean female gear always have to be sexy though. lolz

They aren't always sexy, hell, most of them aren't.  A plurality of the female armors, and I do mean of the races that have different armors between the sexes) aren't actually anymore revealing than the male ones. 

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Looking like a **** doesn't equal looking sexy. Which is why most of my characters are male.

In GW2, for most part, if you want to play a female character, you can only pick between a "spoiled little princess" (I especially abhor the constant use of high heels) and a "Oooh, look what I've got!" look (the latter even comes with an increased cup size most of the time, in which case it is save to assume that a male dev created the respective set of armor or the outfit).

That's not how cool looking female adventurers dress.

1 hour ago, Blocki.4931 said:

Tens of thousands of women would love to disagree with you there. It's honestly sexist of you to make such an assumption. As if women don't like looking at attractive women. Disproven about a million times.

Reminds me of the discourse over some anime games "oh look at her body proportions some disgusting fat pig made this!" but the answer in 90% of the cases has been a woman made it with the reason she enjoyed it and the fans enjoyed it too.

^Indubitably.  Every, and I do mean EVERY, female gamer I've known or even just been antiquated with do indeed prefer that their female character to look pretty and to dress sexy.  I am of the opinion, and yes it is only an opinion....for now, that the majority of gamers irrespective of their sex do prefer female characters that look "sexy" to one degree or another and the rest are a vocal minority.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

They aren't always sexy, hell, most of them aren't.  A plurality of the female armors, and I do mean of the races that have different armors between the sexes) aren't actually anymore revealing than the male ones. 

 

Well, sexy is in the eye of the beholder I guess since just showing boob windows is enough for some people.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

 

Well, sexy is in the eye of the beholder I guess since just showing boob windows is enough for some people.

Exact styles and preferences and what exactly constitutes "Revealing" is much farther into the weeds than I'm interested in going. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jin.8501 said:

What is sexy on female might not be on male and vice versa 

Pretty much this. This is what it sells, I doubt they would sell many outfits or looks with revealing male looks, while judging from the female characters I see every day, that works for female ones for sure.

I think most people, including myself, find more logical to have non-sugerent, serious looks in a game where your character is supposed to have protective armor.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

I think most people, including myself, find more logical to have non-sugerent, serious looks in a game where your character is supposed to have protective armor.

The amount of immersion breaking armor and infusions that I see would counter that point of view.  😉

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone brought up cultural standards as influencing game designs. Okay, but...if we're talking about cultural standards, maybe we should consider Tyria's cultural standards, which are what we see in-game: where ladies have no problems baring their skin, and men prefer to remain a little more covered. 😉

Well, Tyrian human standards, at least (which sylvari seem to emulate to a degree; makes sense, since they were physically modeled after humans). Asura and charr, which don't have the obvious and major differences between sexes that humans do, can get away with dressing ladies and lads exactly the same, because they're tiny bunny-gnomes and giant cat-cows and to heck with biology. I do hold that male norn should be an exception...mostly because they have the coolest tattoos and very little chances to actually show them off. I am disappointed. My norn dude wants a bare chest! Why can he not have a bare chest? ("Protection in battle," you say? Pfah! That's what courage is for! CHARGE!!) Sigh...that's what cultural armor is for, I guess...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Blocki.4931 said:

Tens of thousands of women would love to disagree with you there. It's honestly sexist of you to make such an assumption. As if women don't like looking at attractive women. Disproven about a million times.

I am female and I am a lesbian, so naturally I like looking at attractive women. :classic_wink: I also like to look at attractive men, because aesthetic/beauty isn't bound to gender.

However, neither the **** look nor the spoiled princess look are attractive in my book. I prefer my adventurers to look the part. (Side note: I find women who dress like ****s to put a very bad taste on display, besides embarrasing themselves, and the spoiled little princess look to be rather tacky.) Also, I don't consider oversized, silicon-looking boobs to be attractive, either, especially when I created my character with a certain cup size and then the piece of armor or the outfit negates my choice by increasing the size visibly. :classic_rolleyes:

Most importantly, however: the question of personal taste and preference is completely beside the point here! Threads like these always go down that road to distract from the actual topic, namely the fact that the selection of armor/outfits for those of us who prefer a tougher, more seasoned look for their female adventurers is extremely limited to a handful of old low-res or otherwise poorly designed pieces.

P.S. I apologize for the previous sexist assumption, but the aforementioned looks forced on female characters are sexist to me, too. Speaking of which, where are my cool looking "muscle" shirts for men then, if we are talking equality? I'd love to see more biceps, more neck, some chest, all three combined, instead of what we got.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I am female and I am a lesbian, so naturally I like looking at attractive women. :classic_wink: I also like to look at attractive men, because aesthetic/beauty isn't bound to gender.

However, neither the **** look nor the spoiled princess look are attractive in my book. I prefer my adventurers to look the part. (Side note: I find women who dress like ****s to put a very bad taste on display, besides embarrasing themselves, and the spoiled little princess look to be rather tacky.) Also, I don't consider oversized, silicon-looking boobs to be attractive, either, especially when I created my character with a certain cup size and then the piece of armor or the outfit negates my choice by increasing the size visibly. :classic_rolleyes:

Most importantly, however: the question of personal taste and preference is completely beside the point here! Threads like these always go down that road to distract from the actual topic, namely the fact that the selection of armor/outfits for those of us who prefer a tougher, more seasoned look for their female adventurers is extremely limited to a handful of old low-res or otherwise poorly designed pieces.

P.S. I apologize for the previous sexist assumption, but the aforementioned looks forced on female characters are sexist to me, too. Speaking of which, where are my cool looking "muscle" shirts for men then, if we are talking equality? I'd love to see more biceps, more neck, some chest, all three combined, instead of what we got.

No it isn't.  For the medium and heavy armor selections there's far, FAR more sets that fully cover the body than there is revealing ones.  The only place where there's a bunch of revealing sets is the light armors that were made at the launch of the game.  Even then there's plenty to select from.  Also, there are outfits, most of which are not revealing at all.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Most importantly, however: the question of personal taste and preference is completely beside the point here! Threads like these always go down that road to distract from the actual topic, namely the fact that the selection of armor/outfits for those of us who prefer a tougher, more seasoned look for their female adventurers is extremely limited to a handful of old low-res or otherwise poorly designed pieces.

Yes, that tougher more seasoned look on their babyfaced supermodels.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2021 at 11:22 PM, MikeG.6389 said:

My human male necro with a six pack in Elonian Elementalist Outfit begs to differ.

Outfits are a way around that for sure. There aren't many armor pieces revealing the abs. Foefire seems like one prepared for female character and someone suddently remembered that male characters exist. 

Oh well, you get what you get. There are many options to choose from to dress our toons. My guard has been wearing a literal t-shirt for past couple of months 😅

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's because males are more interested in sex than females. It's not about human cultures, or trends, or sexism. It doesn't matter if it's humans, dogs, lions, or ants. Males across many species are just much more interested in sex than females. In some species, males will risk their lives just to mate. In others, they really only exist to mate and die quickly afterwards.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd really like more revealing options for male characters. It doesn't need to be 'sexy', I'd just like to be able to see the sylvari glow, norn tattoos, charr fur patterns and other effects on the characters skin rather than only being able to show their hands and face. I find it kind of odd that there's good options for heavy armour (including a top which is just a few straps and several knee length leggings) but options for medium and light armour are so limited.

They have gotten better with this over time, in that there are now some options available but it's still very limited and often mismatched - like tops with 1 bare arm and 1 full sleeve, often with some bulky stuff around it.

By comparison I think there's a good variety for female characters. They do have some of the same issues as male armour (like an excess of long coats on medium) but overall I think there's more variety. For example my sylvari elementalist typically wears as little as possible, whereas my mesmer is fully covered (including gloves) and both have a variety of skins to choose from.

I think the only change I'd make is to swap the starter equipment for light armoured characters from apprentice to country because the apprentice set has one of the most extreme contrasts between the male and female version, with men getting trousers and a long coat and women getting a 'skirt' that's a few layers of frills that barely covers anything whereas country (which is likely to be the first new set you get as drops) is more neutral. Even then it only bothers me because it's starter armour - the one time you don't have a choice in what your characters wear and part of the first impression new players get of the game.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never understood why charr wear, well, pretty much anything. Seems like clothing on top of their fur would be very uncomfortable. Seems like they would also have very specialized (and efficient!) forms of armor, that takes their furriness into account. Or the heavy armor types would shave their fur to avoid getting over-heated in combat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Faccina.5091 said:

They should at least remove the dumb weight limit for the skins so you can mix stuff theres a lot of medium pants and alot of light skirts 😒

 

Mixing and matching armor pieces of different weights is literally impossible under the current system, they'd have to remake the armor system and every single armor piece skin to facilitate your request.

46 minutes ago, Tachenon.5270 said:

I've never understood why charr wear, well, pretty much anything. Seems like clothing on top of their fur would be very uncomfortable. Seems like they would also have very specialized (and efficient!) forms of armor, that takes their furriness into account. Or the heavy armor types would shave their fur to avoid getting over-heated in combat.

Because fur isn't armor, it wouldn't stop anything sharper than a butter knife.

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Mixing and matching armor pieces of different weights is literally impossible under the current system, they'd have to remake the armor system and every single armor piece skin to facilitate your request.

you mean that the skins are linked to the weight in some weird way ?

i guess l2j code is written ten bilion times better than gw2 code then 🤨

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...