Why do sylvari wake up from the Dream in human armor?

Tachenon.5270

To then be greeted by various and sundry NPC sylvari wearing, ya know, sylvari apparel. And then eventually after several missions they finally get a sylvari top or something. Like, grats! Here's your official 'Born to be Wyld' T-shirt. Now, I know back before the *shudder* NPE they used to awaken more or less au naturel, at which point the sapling greeter dude handed over their dream-time (dun Dun DUN!) human armor. But... why?

Furthermore, why don't all the races start out in/with culturally appropriate gear? With the option to mix and match later, of course, as they become more worldly.

I'm sure this has been asked like a million times, and I did find a reddit thread via teh googles, but as for the forums, my initial cursory search failed. Failed! Alas. So of course I felt the need to create a new thread about it. And to sing you a song!

Imagine all the armor

Specific to each race

Nothing to clip or look weird

Just awesomeness and grace

Imagine all our PCs looking like they should

You hoo, ooh ooh ooh

You may say I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday we will get that

And the tangu will join the fun

PS: This is not a lore question!

PPS:  Due to the advertising, they will forevermore be 'tangu' for me, so, like, there!

• Like 4

That moment when you realize your t-shirt is actually made from plant materials. But no, you're right, it's weird. I don't know why it be like it be. All I know is that the pinched little butt in the Sylvari opening loading screen is hilarious. The pinched little butt will always be primary canon, no matter what armor you pick in character creation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Three words:

New Player Experience

Originally, when players left the sylvari tutorial, you were butt naked, and there was a step in the first story (it began immediately not at level 10), you were directed to talk to the nearby Warden Requisitioner to get armor. Of course, you could simply run away and you'd get your armor automatically. And instantly equipped too.

Don't really get why they removed it. I guess 5 seconds of nudity confused new players? But they also made other bizarre changes, like removing the Greatest Fear Arc from the personal story (they did eventually re-add that though).

• Like 4