Do you guys enjoy Shields as a weapon?

TagIsBad.1350

How do you feel about Shields?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play Shields on your characters?

• I play them on the core professions that are able to wield them.
    • I only play shields on a Chronomancer or Herald (or both).
    • I don't play shields.
  2. 2. How do you feel about Shield skills?

• I like them and would like them to remain unchanged.
    • I like them but would like to see them reworked.
    • I dislike them and would like to see them reworked.
    • I don't really care.

On 11/16/2021 at 4:20 AM, TagIsBad.1350 said:

I adore Guild Wars 2's diversity in builds, from professions to specializations, to elite specializations, to weapons. However, one thing that I have been unable to enjoy is how Shields play. Now I don't just ALWAYS go full dps, I can enjoy some support/buff oriented gameplay every now and then, but playing shields has been a consistently underwhelming experience, even as a Chronomancer or Herald.

Now I understand you don't HAVE to play them just because the Elite Specs make you able to, but when most of the Elite weapon sets are so satisfyingly designed, it feels bad for the shield ones to just be "block attacks and grant allies protection" - granted, Chrono does have Tides of Time which is in my opinion probably the most interesting shield skill there is.

I won't really touch on Core Build shields, but I will say that they also fall into the same issue of feeling much too passive in a game where combat is so quick and mobile. Core Engineer > Guardian or Warrior shield (again, this is my opinion), but even so it never really feels like a compelling option over dual wielding a different weapon to me. This also branches to the fact that there are no new Elite Specializations in End of Dragons that add Shields to a prof - maybe it's because anet can't find a satisfying or fun way to implement them into another profession?

Anyways, the main point of this post was just to see what you guys think of shields - do you enjoy playing them yourselves? Have a different critique of them? Personally I'd love some kind of rework or even flat-out change that could maybe push shields into a more viable position in 80+ content, as I do like them thematically (and there are some killer shield skins). This isn't a post trying to call shields garbage, or insult those who like them, just me putting my thoughts out and wanting to hear from the community. Cheers.

I couldn't answer your poll because it doesn't cover my use case at all.

I use shields on everything.  They provide staying power in a fight and good CC. (except herald). 

Shields provide a good stall when I need to reassess a situation.  They also can mitigate attacks on demand (instant cast) for those "oh skritt" moments.

I think they are well designed and defintiely not passive.  CC to set up attacks.  CC to interrupt attacks for damage mitigation.  On demand reactive damage mitigation.  Dive into most anything and stay in the fight while you damage goes off.  etc.

You have to know how to use them, they don't just sit there on your arm.

I even use Conjure Earth Shield.  It provides a ton of tactical options.

As with anything else in this game, you can't just think inside a narrow tunnel of "charge at enemy and deal damage."  This is a highly dynamic game that allows you to fight in many different ways from almost any angle of attack.  Shields allow you to set these tactical play options up.

Another example, movement skills are not just for closing the gap on an enemy or running away.  They allow faster-than-normal repositioning.  Move out of the way of an attack for a better angle to counter.  Or reposition around a cluster of mobs to maximize your damage and minimize their ability to hit you.  etc.

For instance, with Chrono shield I often reposition in such a way that the wave doesn't return to me.  It continues a straight line the entire time.  You can use it to bend around a corner while you blink back to safety.  Lots of options.

Also, screen readers rock 🧐  I'm still able to read the OP just fine.