Thoughts on the new Jade Sea aesthetic?

Not a fan of the oversaturated green and the clumpy shape of the waves shown in the trailer. Looks more like solidified goo than anything else (no sea spray, foam, texture, transparency etc). There are some citing nostalgia as the reason for their displeasure, but I just don't think this looks like petrified water regardless of color. If I had a hand in development, I'd be encouraging devs to try and match closer to the green/teal used in the concept art for this region and add more character to the flowing shapes. I'll of course wait to see what it looks like in game, but if it's this vivid all over the map, I probably won't spend much time here.

Some of the map looks like it'll be okay though: That cave (or what I'm assuming is a cave) is neat. If it's a relaxing spot where I'm not constantly evading enemies, I'll just live down there, thanks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

To me, the new jade Sea is straight up green manure.

It seems like the designers didn't even care to look up how unprocessed jade looks like.

It doesn't look like natural raw jade.

It doesn't look like the Jade Sea from GW1.

It doesn't even look like the Solid Ocean Fractal.

It looks like one thing however:

It looks like a disappointment.

The colour issue aside: Why is the Jade see still mostly solid, when hardly any part of the Echovald Forest remains petrified?!

The effect of the Jade Winds should revert at roughly the same pace...

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Okay, so after watching the live stream, I still dislike the toxic neon green and cannot understand why they would choose a color that doesn't blend in with the otherwise truly beautiful environment.

We now have two different jade aesthetics: the bluish jade (which probably contains a big percentage of water, hence the color) and the pure jade (the aforementioned neon green stuff).

I simply don't understand why they couldn't go with this for the latter:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/d/dc/Chunk_of_the_Solid_Ocean.jpg

Or even better, with this (just a bit more solid):
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/0/05/Large_Crystal_Block_of_the_Solid_Ocean.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Not a fan of the current aestethics. Even less a fan of how they silently ignored the topic even though they obviously noticed it, and tried to pretend as if there was no difference whatsoever between that hideous green and the stuff they have shown barely few minutes eariler on the concept arts for the very same jade sea...

I mean, devs on stream were only going on how fabulous that sea looks even when people were asking if there's any kind of explanation behind that at all, and all the chat mod said to the question why the color was "it is jade".

I mean, even if there's some deep reason behind the change they don't want to spoil to us yet, all they had to say was "yes, there's a reason". But no, they could not be bothered to do even that.

At this point it more seems like the change  to radioactive plastic green was just an arbitrary decision by someone that thought it would look good, and the silence was their classic dislike to respond to any form of criticism.

And here i hoped the communication was getting better. I guess i was naive. Again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

32 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Not a fan of the current aestethics. Even less a fan of how they silently ignored the topic even though they obviously noticed it, and tried to pretend as if there was no difference whatsoever between that hideous green and the stuff they have shown barely few minutes eariler on the concept arts for the very same jade sea...

I mean, devs on stream were only going on how fabulous that sea looks even when people were asking if there's any kind of explanation behind that at all, and all the chat mod said to the question why the color was "it is jade".

I mean, even if there's some deep reason behind the change they don't want to spoil to us yet, all they had to say was "yes, there's a reason". But no, they could not be bothered to do even that.

At this point it more seems like the change  to radioactive plastic green was just an arbitrary decision by someone that thought it would look good, and the silence was their classic dislike to respond to any form of criticism.

And here i hoped the communication was getting better. I guess i was naive. Again.

You’re prob right, but the team has never really understood the visual noise impact of some of their designs over the last decade. The bright, garish over the top colours and effects seem to be exactly what they want to push. The more people feedback about the perceived issue, the more the team double down on pushing it even harder.

I don’t like the new colours, but I knew it was coming after playing Sunquua Peak Fractal which uses some of the assets they changed to. The artwork is otherwise still fantastic it should be said.

If the final Dragon doesn’t sparkle like a Nyan Cat rainbow, I’m going to be very surprised.

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Tachenon.5270 said:

They even have dragonjade eye shadow!

You mean Chloë? Yes, I was thinking the same thing! 😂
(It looked pretty on her, though.)

Edit @ confused person:

2 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

You’re prob right, but the team has never really understood the visual noise impact of some of their designs over the last decade. The bright, garish over the top colours and effects seem to be exactly what they want to push. The more people feedback about the perceived issue, the more the team double down on pushing it even harder.

Which is a shame, as we've already had perfect texture examples in the game that would have made for excellent Canthan Jade: 
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/0/05/Priory's_Historical_Sword.jpg 
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/b/b2/Daydreamer's_Sword.jpg

Instead, we are getting this (and what a fitting name it wears):
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/8/87/Venombite_Sword.jpg

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

In looking at the GW1 and GW2 videos the OP linked, the GW1 scenes seemed drab and dreary to me. The GW2 scenes looked much more vibrant and lively. Having said that, I also have to say that I realize my opinion is very much a minority one. A LOT of players seem really upset about the new color scheme. This might have something to do with how different people perceive the same colors in different ways. I don't know. Whatever the cause though, I hope Anet does something to ease the oversaturated green. Why upset so many players over something like that?

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I think it looks really good. Especially after seeing it on stream. They did a good job with the color imo. It looks more alive. I’ve never liked the color of the guild decorations so I’m glad they went for this color. And it has several variations of it which makes it more interesting too. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

I think it looks really good. Especially after seeing it on stream. They did a good job with the color imo. It looks more alive. I’ve never liked the color of the guild decorations so I’m glad they went for this color. And it has several variations of it which makes it more interesting too. 

Let's first make sure we're talking about the same thing. I am not talking about the frozen sea itself. It is still too bright and garish for me, but i guess i could live with it if i had to. It's the cut blocks of jade in the quarry areas that are a problem. It's not that the color is bad (even though it is). It's that they look as if they were put into GW2 from a game with completely different aestethics and a much lower graphics quality. It's so jarring and out of place that it is truly painful to watch.

And the worst part is that they did not need to cause this controversy at all. Had they used old colors, from Jade Maw fractal and their own EoD concept arts, everyone would have been completely fine with it - both those that do not see a problem now, and those that do. There's absolutely nothing to gain by using this new aestethics scheme, but quite a lot to lose. Especially since one of the main points of doing a Cantha expansion was to cater to GW1 sentimentality - and it is be exactly that very group that is most likely to react violently to changes like these.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

The Jade sea was Frozen by Shiro powered in part by Abaddon. That people are providing excuses for Anet by saying that the dragon's magic seeped into the jade  is a bit perplexing to me. Since the jade wind is withdrawing in Kurzick lands and as far as I understood the deep sea dragon was blocking Cantha from Tyria from the ocean, not Luxon lands, so why would its magic affect only Luxon territory which is far into Cantha? 

The Jade colour is off, but so are the general designs, the waves look clumsy, not like actual waves frozen in time, like in OG GW. Honestly I don't think there was any deep thinking going on here, a decision was made, and approved, disregarding GW entirely and focusing on their own vision, which is a mistake in a sequel I think. The jade sea is the Catalyst of Cantha, the catalyst a class that also originated from working the jade mines so there we go mediocrity breeds mediocrity. 

The original Jade Sea was drab and dreary colour scheme wise, but keep in mind how old those graphics are, and the fact that the general aesthetic of GW then was far more muted colours than we see now in GW2. Bright colours will only be surface vibrant, doesn't mean that it is good.  

• Like 6
  • Confused 4

16 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

I dunno how anyone on earth could look at this and think its good. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

On 11/17/2021 at 6:45 PM, Infusion.7149 said:

It's dragon magic imbued jade, not regular jade.

You know, when you have to invent explanations for why something looks bad in the game... and when you have to do it for the devs (because the devs either can't be bothered to offer any sorf of explanation at all, but it's not even sure if they even have an explanation at all), and when all that stuff is a result of a change that did not have to be done, it's a sign that most probably something isn't all that good at all.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

3 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

You know, when you have to invent explanations for why something looks bad in the game... and when you have to do it for the devs (because the devs either can't be bothered to offer any sorf of explanation at all, but it's not even sure if they even have an explanation at all), and when all that stuff is a result of a change that did not have to be done, it's a sign that most probably something isn't all that good at all.

But it doesn't look bad. Main reason people complain about it seems to be based on what they got used to in gw1. You've made your complaint based on gw1, in turn he made a justification for it that also matches the realm of the game. For some reason yours is fine, but his is... a sign for "something not being that good"? You're free to dislike whatever shade of green you see, but that doesn't make it "bad" just because you dislike it based on your nostalgia from gw1.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

57 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

But it doesn't look bad. Main reason people complain about it seem to be based on what they got used to in gw1.

I have to disagree. I find the plastic green awful in itself, regardless of what the Jade Sea looked like in GW1.

Why is that? - Because it doesn't blend in with the art of EoD in most cases (with the exception of the one spot the character stopped in the live stream to gaze upon the open frozen Jade Sea, with nothing else in proximity).

The color stands out so strongly that it is attracting all attention and diverts it from the environment and architecture, more so in its processed state used in weapons, machinery and golems with its pungent toxic neon color. It just doesn't fit aesthetically.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

22 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

But it doesn't look bad. Main reason people complain about it seem to be based on what they got used to in gw1. You've made your complaint based on gw1, in turn he made a justification for it that also matches the realms of the game. For some reason yours is fine, but his is... a sign for "something not being that good"? You're free to dislike whatever shade of green you see, but that doesn't make it "bad" just because you dislike it based on your nostalgia from gw1.

GW2... Sequel, of course it should look similar it is the same world, and if not we need an explanation. It isn't just nostalgia, it is objectively worse for a lot of people. The explanations that people are inventing are not especially strong either, see previous counter-posts. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

Welcome to another episode of "EoD is bad, because it does not look like in GW1"

https://i.imgflip.com/5v13wi.jpg

As far as I understood:
- GW2 is NOT GW1
- it has been ~ 250 years after your GW1 commander/hero walked that area
- there is Elder Dragon activity in the area

The presence of Elder Dragons usually has a greater impact on the environment. You are aware that there is a high chance somewhere in Cantha will be visible ley-lines? What will you do when you see one? Stomp it back into the ground until it eventually vanishes, screaming in agony "THIS IS NOT HISTOIRCALLY CORRECT!!!!!" 🤣

As long as threads like this pop up, I know they have not messed up anything important yet. So keep going!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6