Should Anet fix the oversaturated green jade like it was in GW1?

Should Anet fix the oversaturated green jade like it was in GW1?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should Anet fix the oversaturated green jade like it was in GW1?

• Tint it right like in Gw1, the oversaturated green doesn't look good.
    • Keep it I like the green

So I was talking online with a lot of other people that played Gw1 that are not happy about the look of the Jade Sea.
To me the green is too saturated and too...GREEN... I watched some videos from gw1 Jade Sea to compare it and it looks way better in color even though the resolution was way lower.
I want to see if there are other people that think the same of it.
I don't know why they took this direction or if it is some kind of filter they put for the trailers to make it all look super saturated but it just looks too much...
It doesn't look like the Jade Sea or even like real Jade so I don't get the point...
What do you people think? In a perfect world where Anet could do that would you approve them fixing the look of the Jade of the Sea?

Edited by Dantert.1803
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Yeah I don't get it. Considering assets they had from Fractals that look worlds better than what was shown in this trailer, I am really at a loss here. I also really want to understand what they mean by the jade being imbued with dragon magic, because this is most certainly NOT how it was made. It was Abaddon via Shiro.

• Like 9
  • Confused 3

the jade looks right in the keyart
Concept art

btw while searching for Jade Sea references online I found this guy that actually made some crazy good jade sea textures inspired by gw1
Cool jade textures

It would look amazing if it was like this!
Please ANet make it like this!

Edited by Dantert.1803
misplell
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

To add, I know actual jade in real life is green. ANET does remember that this stuff is not actually jade and the sea was called that (prior to it being frozen like this) because the water was slightly greenish...right? And after freezing, it actually got bluer the deeper you got, while the surface was largely a bluish green teal like color.

Edited by Faridah.8431
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Faridah.8431 said:

To add, I know actual jade in real life is green. ANET does remember that this stuff is not actually jade and the sea was called that (prior to it being frozen like this) because the water was slightly greenish...right? And after freezing, it actually got bluer the deeper you got, while the surface was largely a bluish green teal like color.

Real jade is indeed green, but there are different types that can be paler or bluer, and nephrite jade can be quite dark green.

None of them are as oversaturated as this, though. This "jade" looks like emerald goo.

• Like 9

This beautiful bright green looked fine when it was showed off as statues or processed into creatures. But it looks awful in the sea...  it needs to be more blueish green, atleast in the wave forms. It looks like... waves of disgusting green glop.

The Jade Sea was my favorite area in GW1, please don't mess this one up ANet. 😞

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

@Dantert.1803It looks like it has a blueish or greenish tint to it unlike a lot of stone already in the game. Other stone they've shown in the background is much whiter than that. At the very least a 2 minute video of largely out of context scenes is not enough to really know yet if all the jade naturally looks this way. If it was dragon branded that would explain some of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will wait for friday's new Guild Chat episode at noon PT before making any assumptions. However, I'll say (again) that Anet should really tune down the color intensity for the trailers. So far all have had much brighter colors than actual gameplay shown in GC.

Edited by Jukhy.2431
  • Like 2

I much prefer the more subdued teal of GW1 as well. I already play with post-processing and such off because GW2 is way too blinding and saturated at this point. 

This neon green Jade Sea feels like an arms race between player characters/gemstore skins and the environment to blind/visually overwhelm you. 

Not a deal breaker ofc, but far less visually appealing to me.

This definitely makes it feel more like GW1 and nicer on the eyes, although it's still lacking the texture quality and translucency we had in GW1 a lot of times, 15 years ago.

Likewise This place they showed on stream is gorgeous and what the "Jade" imo should have looked like. The toxic green jello cubes just look so comical in comparison.

Edited by Asum.4960
  • Like 7
  • Confused 2

I don’t have an opinion on this. I find it kind of funny however reading people’s distaste for a color. Reason being, I’m an engineer in real life. I have to be critical of people’s designs all the time, and have great attention to detail in my job. However, when it comes to this new expac, I see sooo many people nitpicking this and that and paying soo much attention to detail, and I just look at everything presented and say, new stuff! Should be fun to play. What I’m trying to say is, I play the game for fun, not to criticize every detail. That’s what my job is for 😛.  I’m glad people have their opinions and I think they are important to help shape the game’s future, but in the end, don’t forget to just have fun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

I don’t have an opinion on this. I find it kind of funny however reading people’s distaste for a color. Reason being, I’m an engineer in real life. I have to be critical of people’s designs all the time, and have great attention to detail in my job. However, when it comes to this new expac, I see sooo many people nitpicking this and that and paying soo much attention to detail, and I just look at everything presented and say, new stuff! Should be fun to play. What I’m trying to say is, I play the game for fun, not to criticize every detail. That’s what my job is for 😛.  I’m glad people have their opinions and I think they are important to help shape the game’s future, but in the end, don’t forget to just have fun.

I understand your point of view.
I have a creative job and I pay a lot of attention to shapes and color taste, if something looks off I can't go around it.
I started playing gw1 and continued playing gw2 because of the beauty of it other than because I liked the gameplay, the two have to go hand in hand.
In this case the green looks bad, will I not play the game because of this? Probably not. Will I avoid the area? Yes. Why? I was expecting more out of Anet sense of taste and respect for the original look

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3